Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

Xstiffshafts

Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Wow, the 2.5 looks amazing, as does all of your work

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Thanks fellas.

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

n9E4PVk.jpg

vnE27jL.jpg

zDgT8W6.jpg

rigvY79.jpg

• Like 3

[emoji115]so clean, well done!!

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Well fellas... in times like these, life seems basically pointless. These last 5.5 hours or so have really stretched me thin. It's weird too, because I was not even close to as emotionally invested in this season as I typically am. Usually from September to Jan/Feb I live and die with every play call, every W/L, I listen exclusively to 1310 AM The Ticket, and I've got more hours invested in watching, reading about, and listening about the cowboys. My attention turned to politics last summer (2015), and I've listened to no sports talk, read very little about, and felt less emotional connection to the team than in recent years, and still... it's a strange Low when your team succeeds to exceed expectation, but then fails to live up to the new expectation that the unexpected success created. I have been one of the guys saying Dak is awesome and I'm pumped for the future but he's the second best QB on the team right now and we need to be starting Romes. It also sucks that he's prolly gone in the offseason.

Anyway, got a new color out of the torch today. Really really like this one.

qUhy5ti.jpg

Xk2BWyX.jpg

PZ7jLyB.jpg

71aaB6S.jpg

1Dwk5bD.jpg

KKhPvRY.jpg

fiWhz7B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Ok. How did you do that. That looks awesome. I would love to get my new tyne with a custom finish. But being they are painted I don't think they are going to offer it. I probably am going to get at least a custom paint fill if they will let me. But a star shot or powder coat black with silver front (ala Vera's line) would be killer.

• Like 1

Ok. How did you do that. That looks awesome. I would love to get my new tyne with a custom finish. But being they are painted I don't think they are going to offer it. I probably am going to get at least a custom paint fill if they will let me. But a star shot or powder coat black with silver front (ala Vera's line) would be killer.

Man, I really don't even know if I could replicate the process I went through to achieve that finish. First, I over-torched it a bit and wasn't pleased with the outcome, so I buffed it back to silver, cleaned it, re-torched it. The color was dark bronze/almost chocolate, then I blasted to dampen/mute the color a little bit, then I wasn't real thrilled with the blast job so I put it back in the vice and re-torched again to basically purple. After it cooled I lightly buffed it with the least abrasive compound I have and I was blown away at the resulting color.

• Like 2

Great color. Guess you will have to try and figure out the process so you can duplicate

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Here's some pics in natural light:

MJvGh3d.jpg

dam14o4.jpg

F2hvN7D.jpg

Now I'm off to boston on business for the bulk of the week. Coming back thrs night. At least the flight will give me time to finish up my stage 2 review of the Sentio. It's a great putter. Blown away by it actually. I don't know what I'm gonna do with 4 days of not scouring the golf shops in DFW for used putters that can be brought back to life.

• Like 2

This weekend while cleaning and reorganizing my garage I found an old Ping Anser. It's a lefty model so I'm guessing I bought it at a thrift store or something one time. Anyway, I thought now that I have reclaimed my workbench I might give it a go and see if I can restore this thing in some basic way. I can't do the type of work xstiff does or you other guys but I have to start somewhere. Perhaps I'll just buff it with a wire brush wheel in my drill or something and see how it looks.

Any basic advice for a beginner?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This weekend while cleaning and reorganizing my garage I found an old Ping Anser. It's a lefty model so I'm guessing I bought it at a thrift store or something one time. Anyway, I thought now that I have reclaimed my workbench I might give it a go and see if I can restore this thing in some basic way. I can't do the type of work xstiff does or you other guys but I have to start somewhere. Perhaps I'll just buff it with a wire brush wheel in my drill or something and see how it looks.

Any basic advice for a beginner?

I've noticed wire brushes can kind of pit or create uneven texture on the clubhead. I'd use a silicon carbide wheel if you can pick one up at local hardware store. That or a hard stitch buffing wheel with a good buffing compound.

• 2 weeks later...

What type of torch do you use?

How long does it take to get the colors?

When I first tried my hand at torching, I used a run of the mill bernzomatic propane torch, then I upgraded to a MAPP gas torch, which is what I've used to do probably the last 4 pages of putters with. Then, last weekend I stepped up to an oxy/acetylene rig which I told myself I'd use to weld and cut as well to justify the spend.

I'd suggest propane for a beginner or if you're just gonna do a putter or two. No need to make a big investment for one or two projects. Plus, propane may take a little longer but it makes it easier to heat evenly when you're trying to figure it out.

• Like 1

I used to work in plumbing so I am familiar with using a torch, and I have a hand held that screws into the small tanks, I used Mapp gas since that burns a little hotter than propane, i just wasn't sure how long to torch it, it did it for what seemed like a long time, had the head glowing orange and kept it that way for a while, I'm not sure how long maybe 25-30 minutes, I will let it cool down and check to see what it looks like.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

im not sure what type of steel it is since I cannot find and specs on the putter, I am thinking it is stainless, I am certain it's not Carbon, again I'm really not sure just wanted to do something different I guess.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

You probably don't have to go that long with MAPP gas. My advice is to keep the torch moving rapidly all over the head to get a heated evenly you should start to see it change from silver to gold or straw right before your eyes, before it starts to glow. As soon as the metal starts to glow, The color has changed to purple. As you go longer it will change from purple to blue.

If you over torch I doubt you'll like the color, but maybe you didn't overcook it-it's hard to say without seeing it.

If it turns out you did keep the heat on for a little too long, you can just put it up to a buffing wheel with some polishing compound-it will polish it back to the original color, and you can start again.

Got the chance to do a couple putters with the O/A setup.

https://i.imgur.com/cUo8614.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5oKQgwK.jpg

xs5L2Kw.jpg

lQHPbLX.jpg

IqiJxOP.jpg

• Like 2