Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

Wish I did, YouTube will

probably be your friend here.

Or if you have any machine shops or welders in your area, might be able to trade some lessons for a putter

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 05 (X)

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First a little background on this project, i wish i had taken "before" pictures of this putter. This was stored in what used to be our storage unit(see picture of whats left). This was hit by lightnin

EvnRoll ER6      

M2A Converter w/ Welded Flow Neck and Fatback Flange:  

Posted Images

Well i finally started an arc, pool, and laid a bead (although it's ugly as sin) I got two pieces of scrap metal welded together. Gonna have to put a few hours in before I try to do this to a putter

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

I would agree - considering the small pieces, and small bead size needed to weld a neck, it's gonna take some practice!

I've thought about this several times, and always chicken out. I know a few guys who weld, but it's usually on cars or machinery and the welds get ground smooth.

What we're looking at here is tiny, detailed art.

I have a closet full of old putters in fact I just got a piece of rebar welded to where the neck used to start on a beat up old anser... it's ugly as hell tho, starts/stops, slag everywhere

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

I am going to keep watching YouTube vids, welding small pieces of metal together in "t-joints", and give the occasional junker putter a go. I'll know when I'm ready to weld this perfectly twisted plumber to the Monterrey that I inspired me to take up welding.

You might need to butcher some old tpm's or something to get a little practice. I recently saw an auction on ebay for about 30 old tpm putters for $300

I saw that one too, if only I had th time, a little $$... and people who would buy them. For me, the refinishing is the fun, I don't have a desire to collect a bunch

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 05 (X)

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I wish I could weld.  I had about a 10 minute TIG welding lesson while doing a tour of my companies facilities and I was horrible.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Get a Tig rig if you want to weld necks.  You'll thank me later.  Stick is a tough choice with the small area

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

@rookieblue7 good call. I've seen some tig torches that hook on to the stinger of the stick welder - I'm not sure if my little welder is up to the task though.

I found my old Titleist Dead Center and I've always liked its shape, but its pretty beat up with chunks of paint gone and scratches all over. I figured it would be a good time to dip my toes into the putter restoration game. Any recommendations where to start or how I should go about this?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't remember what those dead center heads are made from... either way, step one is to sand/file all of the dents and dings out. So I would start hand standing with 120 grit paper, move up to 400 grit paper, then do a wet sand with 1000, then do a dry sand with 2000. Acetone washes in between grit interval helps clear for a sanding debris and allows you to work on a clean work piece with each grit step. After you get done with your 2000 grit dry sand you'll be ready to polish.

PS buy some good nitrile gloves something that has a decent mil thickness. I like the boxes of black venoms... you can get them at Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot they're like $10 for a box of 50

• Like 1

Speaking of giving it a go.... @ballenbrandon - how is your first project coming along?

@xstiffshafts I just finished a second bachelor's this last week so now I have time to start. Trying to get an old tp Mills that someone here in Utah is selling but they won't get back to me. I've got an old Taylormade rossa I'll start on in the next week. I'll keep you posted though. I'm excited to try this.

• Like 1

Slight change of plans from the original idea. I have an anser 3 that I found in a rental set that was about to be thrown away. It is covered in patina from its age. Is there any sort of steps or extra procaution that I should use when dealing with this?

Since it has a patina, I presume it's copper. I've not done much work on copper. Maybe rb7 can give some insight

• Like 1