TESTERS WANTED! ×

THE ONE AND ONLY KIRKLAND SIGNATURE BALL THREAD

I will be waiting as well...I have a doz left, but need to stack up, so hopefully I can get 2 boxes...

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

... Reasons why the new shipment isn't on my radar: Wind chills 30 below zero. A slight tear in my labrum and teres minor of the rotator cuff. Can't lift my arm to shoulder height and looking at another 6 weeks of rehab. AND I bought 6 dozen KS when they were first introduced. Good luck on the 20th fella's! 

Aging sucks, doesn't it? Have more aches than I know what to do with...but it sure as hell beats the alternative.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Can we find out who actually designed the Kirkland Signature ball?

Hi Foz, hope your well,,, thanks for the post the other day,,,

It wasn't designed for Costco specifically it was a design Nassau Golf - Korea had in place for any company to order,

they just suggested a set of specifications and Costco had the balls sent to Gary Mayes and his team I understand at

GBT Tech USA to test and assess the quality ,,,,, they just wanted something like a Titleist ProV1 -or X even though it

is not a cast urethane cover it is an injected TPU type as they probably also wanted to hit a particular price point to

show the world they are a cheap place to shop. 

if you go back to some early Taylor-Made 2013 TP model media cut away images of the internals you will see some

similarity ,,, in my opinion that is. 

Costco are ordering about 100,000 dozen per month,,,,,and making about 15% on them ,,,, they do have a discount

coupon type deal as well that may apply,,,,

Will it lead to any more R&D investment by major brands ,,, maybe as something different not Tour Validated will

possibly be the way they go into the future seeing a Premium Spin ball can be bought by any retailer now and no

invest in manufacturing/R&D/Tour promotion/ads etc are having to be included in the cost equation,,,,,

This would not have been the story it has become if it wasn't for the price ,,,,,, even the high quality Zstars from

Srixon - Sumitomo Industries Japan that are Tour validated and promoted with excellent R&D support from Japan

have been as low at US$27.00 as has Dean Snell's - also Nassau sourced balls (3 piece)  which did have the

running for the past 24 months in regards to the title of being one of the cheapest ProV1 quality alternatives

and maybe if he had a better distribution model this might not have happened or if Taylor-Made were not up

for sale by Adidas they might not have wound back their forecasted ball requirements from Nassau,,,, who knows,,

Taylor-Made are desperately trying to distance themselves from this under mining of the premium ball market

by making both its 2017 TP balls 5 piece with a cast urethane cover ,,, why ,,, they will say its better ,,, better

than 3 or 4 piece and as such you might as a player think well its got to cost them more to produce ,, it does

to a degree but does it cost from the same factory more than double,,,, well,,,, ????

Can anyone go to Nassau right now and order a similar and gain access for their market,,, probably not as

they have not now got any extra capacity to look after new customers BUT I hear they are going to increase

it in 2017 as people are asking them ,,,,,,

Are they Nassau the only player that can supply this type of quality/price etc ,,, no there are at least 3 factories

looking for new customers and another 2 or 3 in the midst of developing their urethane balls to take on your

market in the States,,, think about it what is the factory in Taiwan that made the Nike RZN balls going to do

for orders in 2017,,, they are all very keen to get orders and they will hit prices to do it,,,

Interesting days,,,,,,,

Vision Golf Ball Concepts & Designs by The Atanak Co Australia (1980 - 2016)

It wasn't designed for Costco specifically it was a design Nassau Golf - Korea had in place for any company to order,

they just suggested a set of specifications and Costco had the balls sent to Gary Mayes and his team I understand at

GBT Tech USA to test and assess the quality ,,,,, they just wanted something like a Titleist ProV1 -or X even though it

is not a cast urethane cover it is an injected TPU type as they probably also wanted to hit a particular price point to

if you go back to some early Taylor-Made 2013 TP model media cut away images of the internals you will see some

Costco are ordering about 100,000 dozen per month,,,,,and making about 15% on them ,,,, they do have a discount

Will it lead to any more R&D investment by major brands ,,, maybe as something different not Tour Validated will

possibly be the way they go into the future seeing a Premium Spin ball can be bought by any retailer now and no

invest in manufacturing/R&D/Tour promotion/ads etc are having to be included in the cost equation,,,,,

This would not have been the story it has become if it wasn't for the price ,,,,,, even the high quality Zstars from

Srixon - Sumitomo Industries Japan that are Tour validated and promoted with excellent R&D support from Japan

have been as low at US$27.00 as has Dean Snell's - also Nassau sourced balls (3 piece)  which did have the

running for the past 24 months in regards to the title of being one of the cheapest ProV1 quality alternatives

and maybe if he had a better distribution model this might not have happened or if Taylor-Made were not up

for sale by Adidas they might not have wound back their forecasted ball requirements from Nassau,,,, who knows,,

Taylor-Made are desperately trying to distance themselves from this under mining of the premium ball market

by making both its 2017 TP balls 5 piece with a cast urethane cover ,,, why ,,, they will say its better ,,, better

than 3 or 4 piece and as such you might as a player think well its got to cost them more to produce ,, it does

to a degree but does it cost from the same factory more than double,,,, well,,,, ????

Interesting days,,,,,,,

Great info, thanks for sharing!

I agree the story with Kirkland is all about the price.  Lot's of ball perform, but nobody else sells that performance for $15 a dozen.  

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if it's something Costco can continue to stock.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

MG Golf sells about the same ball (3-piece) for $20/dz. Probably made at the same factory too.

I can play the MG Tour C4 all day everyday. Suits my game just fine. Although the Ksig is a little longer.

Who designs these balls? Who cares? Would you not play a Ksig if it were designed by Joe Schmoe.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Boz thanks for chiming in here on the subject.  For those unfamiliar with Boz he's a wealth of knowledge and has a phenomenal company - Vision Golf - that makes some outstanding products (he and I worked on some testing/reviewing previously on another golf forum).

With the success of the Kirkland ball I have to wonder if other retailers, namely Golf Galaxy and Dick's, jump into the private label ball business.  While neither are going to make 15% margin on anything, I would venture a guess that they'd be able to get a better delivered cost per ball going this route compared to prices from branded OEMs, which in turn would allow them to be much more competitively priced.

Aging sucks, doesn't it? Have more aches than I know what to do with...but it sure as hell beats the alternative.

... Stupidity doesn't help either. Started bothering me in August but I played thru it. Got very painful by October but ... yup ... I played thru it. By November I couldn't play thru it anymore. Lesson learned, so you can teach an old dog new tricks. Next time I have injury pain, not just aches and pain, I won't play until it is gone. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

MG Golf sells about the same ball (3-piece) for $20/dz. Probably made at the same factory too.

I can play the MG Tour C4 all day everyday. Suits my game just fine. Although the Ksig is a little longer.

Hi PJ,,, the latest MGC4 ball is probably very close but not from the same plant,,, do you mind posting

where they are made ,, it should be some where on the latest MG ball packs as the 332 dimple may be

a US factory? but I would not have thought so. The MG balls were the beginning of all this as they got to

buy a premium performance ball without having to do the expense of developing one,,,,, I still don't know

for sure why they did not have the same free media as the Kirkland,,, they were less the half the price and 

played fine. Cheers, Boz

With the success of the Kirkland ball I have to wonder if other retailers, namely Golf Galaxy and Dick's, jump into the private label ball business.  While neither are going to make 15% margin on anything, I would venture a guess that they'd be able to get a better delivered cost per ball going this route compared to prices from branded OEMs, which in turn would allow them to be much more competitively priced.

Hi OH, I see a group of the boys have now moved over ,,, thanks for the kind words 2016 has been exciting and now interesting.

Great question ,,,,, Dick's / Golf Galaxy did a smart thing a while ago they bought the Maxfli brand for in house use and then added the

Top-Flite / Strata brand ,,,,, they had seen what you could do by having legitimate golf brands with long term heritage ( both had gone

broke mind you) so players would TRUST these products without much advertising or promotion that they sold under these brand names

as being consistent with their well known heritage and as such perhaps for more money than if they were in fact a house brand.

It must have stopped working a few years ago as we all know Dick's has been reducing their golf foot print in the past 18 months

with the exception of buying GolfSmith who went bankrupt this year,,,,

I believe we are finally in the position that the illusions of game improving product technology whilst being limited by the USGA

and R&A rules of design is finally being somewhat understood by many more players than ever before,,,,, so when there is no

real gains to be bought  or stories to be told price starts to become the main way to market and US$15.00 may not be the end of it,,,

Where I'm at today is different ,,, I have seen this coming especially since Dean Snell left TM and was able to start up in balls straight

away and at a price ,,, I am working on very different styles and presentations of balls that do help but in general may play like

something you already know or like as that is very likely seeing there are in fact too many good balls in the market today.

Titleist ,,,, like Coca Cola may be in for a tough time when people start to stop and think more about why they pay a higher price for

a particular ball / soft drink and perhaps move past the Tour Validated Promotion of golf products approach and stop drinking the

cool aid because as we all know the price you pay for the big brands is higher mainly in order to pay for all that extra promotion

so you will feel better about your brand association on course at your club and the TRUST level that it gives you as a player.

Costco have shown that there could be many changes coming soon and its not just limited to golf balls,,,,,

The internet and sites like MGS will give players enough info to make an educated choice,,,, 

Not a Costco member, can you get these anywhere without the membership?

Probably but for more + shipping or on Ebay  ,,, here's the thing Costco knew there would be a potential large take up of

this product BUT you would have to join their membership group and pay for it to get the best deals,,,, they make as much

money from memberships as they do from sales so their reason for smashing the price is a bit clearer when they have two

possible income streams from this exercise ,,,,,

Smart marketing plus $100,000's of free media attention to drive it.

Will they ever advertise within the golf industry media ,,, I doubt it they will probably just do the token social media stuff that

everyone shares for free,,,,, 

Not a Costco member, can you get these anywhere without the membership?

Most products on Costco website you can purchase without a membership for a few extra dollars. I think it's around $3.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks to both of you for the response. Will take a look on the 20th and see what I can do!!

I paid $1.50 non member charge when I ordered mine. First order was free shipping - second one shipping was extra.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

have been as low at US$27.00 as has Dean Snell's - also Nassau sourced balls (3 piece) which did have the

Can anyone go to Nassau right now and order a similar and gain access for their market,,, probably not as

they have not now got any extra capacity to look after new customers BUT I hear they are going to increase

it in 2017 as people are asking them ,,,,,,

Are they Nassau the only player that can supply this type of quality/price etc ,,, no there are at least 3 factories

looking for new customers and another 2 or 3 in the midst of developing their urethane balls to take on your

market in the States,,, think about it what is the factory in Taiwan that made the Nike RZN balls going to do

for orders in 2017,,, they are all very keen to get orders and they will hit prices to do it,,,

Interesting days,,,,,,,

Wow! Great info that sheds a LOT of light on what has happened and is likely to expand in the very near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Hi OH, I see a group of the boys have now moved over ,,, thanks for the kind words 2016 has been exciting and now interesting.

Great question ,,,,, Dick's / Golf Galaxy did a smart thing a while ago they bought the Maxfli brand for in house use and then added the

Top-Flite / Strata brand ,,,,, they had seen what you could do by having legitimate golf brands with long term heritage ( both had gone

broke mind you) so players would TRUST these products without much advertising or promotion that they sold under these brand names

as being consistent with their well known heritage and as such perhaps for more money than if they were in fact a house brand.

It must have stopped working a few years ago as we all know Dick's has been reducing their golf foot print in the past 18 months

with the exception of buying GolfSmith who went bankrupt this year,,,,

I believe we are finally in the position that the illusions of game improving product technology whilst being limited by the USGA

and R&A rules of design is finally being somewhat understood by many more players than ever before,,,,, so when there is no

real gains to be bought  or stories to be told price starts to become the main way to market and US$15.00 may not be the end of it,,,

Where I'm at today is different ,,, I have seen this coming especially since Dean Snell left TM and was able to start up in balls straight

away and at a price ,,, I am working on very different styles and presentations of balls that do help but in general may play like

something you already know or like as that is very likely seeing there are in fact too many good balls in the market today.

Titleist ,,,, like Coca Cola may be in for a tough time when people start to stop and think more about why they pay a higher price for

a particular ball / soft drink and perhaps move past the Tour Validated Promotion of golf products approach and stop drinking the

cool aid because as we all know the price you pay for the big brands is higher mainly in order to pay for all that extra promotion

so you will feel better about your brand association on course at your club and the TRUST level that it gives you as a player.

Costco have shown that there could be many changes coming soon and its not just limited to golf balls,,,,,

The internet and sites like MGS will give players enough info to make an educated choice,,,, 

Great point about the Maxfli brand.  I had completely forgot that DSG bought that brand.

I think you're also spot on with your comment about Titleist.  I've worked in consumer products for many years and certainly long enough to understand that when a private brand sits next to a national brand there has to be a quality difference for the national brand to command a higher price point.  As the private brand's quality gets closer to that of the national brand more consumers will shift because, to your point, price becomes the only key factor in decision making.

It's funny because yesterday I got a bunch of chuckles and odd looks from guys I played with when they saw I was playing a Kirkland Signature ball.  But when I let my playing partner use one during our round he walked off the last hole and said "that ball is legit...I'll have to get some of those".  There will still be "brand guys" who want to play ProV1 balls but I think the price of the Kirkland ball is deep enough to convert a lot of consumers.  And, over time, those "brand guys" will start to migrate, too.

... Reminds me of people and cars. I drove a BMW 530i for 4 years because my brother in law was a service manager and I got a great deal and basically free service. When my son started playing college football and we were going to be driving all over the country I wanted something a little bigger and finally settled on a Hyundai Genesis. Better than the BMW in every way other than aggressive handing and prestige. Had it for 4 years now and it is my favorite car and I plan on buying another next fall. Which leads me to 

... I have heard from the majority on social media that I am an idiot trading a BMW for a Hyundai. Yet I hear people saying now that the Genesis is a stand alone brand and not a Hyundai they will give it a few more years to see if the Genesis brand is embraced like Lexus and Acura. If it is, then and only then they will buy one because they love the look, love the way it drives but it doesn't have the prestige of a Titliest yet... I mean BMW.  It is the exact same car just with a different name. Genesis G80 instead of Hyundai Genesis. Like Kirklands, I drive a 60k car that sold for only 34k and couldn't care less what name is on it. But there are plenty that care and they won't buy a Hyundai or Kirkland regardless of how good they are. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Bosley...

I have no idea where the MG's are made or who designed them. I don't have any packaging with me at the moment. I doubt there is any detail on the box of where they're mfg'd. I suspect MG Golf buys them in bulk and packages the balls themselves. However, they're shipped in a lightweight (flimsy) box that flips open. The box has the ball logo on it. The box doesn't contain any individual sleeves inside. Just 12 loose balls.

I can't explain why the MG's never caught on like the Kirkland. I suppose a lot more golfers know about Costco than MG Golf. In fact I just recently read a post here in the forum where a guy had just discovered MG Golf and their fantastic gloves. I first started buying MG gloves back in the 80's when the company was called Master Grip.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hyundai Genesis. Better than the BMW in every way other than aggressive handing and prestige. Had it for 4 years now and it is my favorite car and I plan on buying another next fall. 

Last year when I took my father to visit some of the ball companies in Korea during the Presidents Cup the Grand Hyatt at Incheon

was using the Genesis for their hotel limo service ,,,, I was impressed and yes youare right some people just want to buy the prestige

and believe the marketing without any questions ,,,,

They support certain brands like they support their favorite football team, with a heart felt passion ,,,  :wub:

I would think this new Costco ball and the others to follow will absolutely flatten the used/lake and more importantly refinished

golf ball companies ,,,,, Costco will probably add a good quality 2 piece or 3 piece Surlyn model for 2 dozen at $19.95 next,,,,,,,

Why play used ,,,,, they wont even be worth fishing out of the dams,,,, in Australia we have described this type of cheap

retail pricing over the past 8 years by many ball companies as supplying balls at a cost that the recreational players dont

care about losing them any more,,, they buy balls to lose which used to be used ones now its new ones and you will find

more balls today in the rough around a course than ever,,,, players don't even bother to look too hard for a ProV1 if it's 9

or 18 holes old,,, they just reload and get going.

Who knows. Maybe the solution to slow play has been a $15/dozen tour ball all along!!

Who knows. Maybe the solution to slow play has been a $15/dozen tour ball all along!!

1481854444207.jpg

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I would think this new Costco ball and the others to follow will absolutely flatten the used/lake and more importantly refinished

golf ball companies ,,,,, Costco will probably add a good quality 2 piece or 3 piece Surlyn model for 2 dozen at $19.95 next,,,,,,,

Why play used ,,,,, they wont even be worth fishing out of the dams,,,, in Australia we have described this type of cheap

retail pricing over the past 8 years by many ball companies as supplying balls at a cost that the recreational players dont

care about losing them any more,,, they buy balls to lose which used to be used ones now its new ones and you will find

more balls today in the rough around a course than ever,,,, players don't even bother to look too hard for a ProV1 if it's 9

or 18 holes old,,, they just reload and get going.

I believe you are correct re: used and lake balls.

I disagree w you re: Costco adding more balls. For them, they are providing a single product at a great price, no need to add any unnecessary competition. Generally, Costco carries one model of what they sell, and not a huge selection of different style of similar product.

Generally, Costco carries one model of what they sell, and not a huge selection of different style of similar product.

Do you think they will drop the Callaway and Titleist (HVC or HP model I thought?) lines they have been selling?

Do you think they will drop the Callaway and Titleist lines they have been selling?

That's the big question.  I think with how quickly the Kirklands have taken off I can see them dropping the others, but only if they can get enough stock to keep their stores supplied.

Talking to Nassau they have gone quickly from having spare production capacity to being maxed out but they are going

to also increase their production ability in 2017 ,,, approx 100,000 dozen a month is going to Costco (info from a Korean

market source)

This is one of the reasons the Costco was cheaper to make as the normal cast process is slower and

as such more expensive ,,,like this Titleist cover being poured here ,,, Costco is a TPU injected approach

and they feel and sound different,,,, what is the difference worth to a retail amateur player ,,,, not as much

as it used to.

ProV1 cover 4.JPG