Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

THE ONE AND ONLY KIRKLAND SIGNATURE BALL THREAD

I hope that if and when Costco does release a new ball they keep the same appearance with the logo and number. I actually thought it was classy and liked the tiny numbers.

Yes, definitely.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I hope that if and when Costco does release a new ball they keep the same appearance with the logo and number. I actually thought it was classy and liked the tiny numbers.

... Me too! Although I keep hearing others talk about the "cheesy" Kirkland Signature graphics??? If I had to diss a logo design it would be the Callaway Ball logo with it's large, arched upside down gothic lettering... but honestly that is a stretch as I have yet to see a golf ball with graphics I wouldn't play. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

MGS  Gear Heads will be familiar with the controversy Costco generated with the release of the Kirkland Signature golf ball that tested longer than the longest ball in golf. MGS determined that Costco had acquired a factory overrun of balls intended to be sold under the brand name Quatro. The Quatro brand was only available in Europe. A bun fight ensued with an exchange of chain rattling letters between the protagonists. The upshot has been that Costco sued Titleist. Now Costco has fired the latest round in the Ball Wars across the bow of the industry.

Today for $27.99 (that's Canuck bucks) I bought 2 dozen balls, and here is the kicker: they're TaylorMade ®.  

The description on the boxes reads:

TaylorMade ®  RocketBalls

ONE DOZEN / NEW 3-PIECE CONSTRUCTION

FASTER AND LONGER WITH GREENSIDE CONTROL

Benefits

Fast ball speed promotes long distance

Thin and fast mantle for added greenside control

New REACT®  core provides softer feel.

Faster lothane™ cover for faster ball speed.

SpeedMantle® promotes fast ball speed and controlled spin on approach shots.

Low Drag Aerodynamics

The random punctuation and capitalization are all on the box.

On  the end of the box we learn that the balls conform to USGA rules, were designed in California and made in Taiwan. At this stage we don't know how they will perform, but at $14.00 a dozen I can afford to lose these with impunity. I will let you know how they feel after I put them into play tomorrow.

MGS, is there another ball comparison test in your future?

So they're just TaylorMade Rocketballs?

They will fly, that I promise.

Played one for a few holes and it out drove my Titleist pro v1x's by 15 yds.

Going isn't that balls problem. Stopping it once it's going is lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

So they're just TaylorMade Rocketballs?

They look identical, right down to the green double digit numbering, but where the original Rocketball was a clicky sounding straight distance ball, this one is advertised as being soft. I don't have the info on the exact composition of the originals, but if it is identical in composition to these Costco balls that will tell the tale. How they perform around the green is what I plan to find out tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure they're just - Rocketballz

They are. As you know, we didn't get the k-sigs up here. These are in my local costco, as well as every other store in Canada. Nothing exciting here at all

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Those are not a Ksig. This is just Costco selling a TaylorMade ball on the cheap. These are available anywhere. If you want them that is.

I don't see the comparison or controversy even.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

MBP has got it right. They are theTaylorMade RocketBalls identified elsewhere in this blog.

They were not available in my Costco while the K-Sigs were around, and when the K-Sigs sold out they were not immediately replaced with anything else locally. Having not bought golf balls from Costco, I mistakenly believed there was novelty involved.  

On a related note, they might have been marginally longer than the Callaway Chrome Soft, but were really difficult to get to hold on what were slow greens this past weekend.  

• 3 weeks later...

How short lived their inventory was for the second time surprises me.   It sure feels like this is an unused capacity buy.

It's understandable that they may have not estimated demand the first time around, but the second?   If Costco was interested in having this product as well stocked as most of their products I would have expected ample quantities in warehouses by now.  

It's the unofficial halfway point of golf season and with father's day just passing, the peak of golf ball buying.   It's not like them to miss out on that kind of oppurtunity.

How short lived their inventory was for the second time surprises me. It sure feels like this is an unused capacity buy.

It's understandable that they may have not estimated demand the first time around, but the second? If Costco was interested in having this product as well stocked as most of their products I would have expected ample quantities in warehouses by now.

It's the unofficial halfway point of golf season and with father's day just passing, the peak of golf ball buying. It's not like them to miss out on that kind of oppurtunity.

Costco can only purchase the manufacturing time the ball factory is willing to sell them. Adding more shift hours to a fiscal quarter is rarely a simple proposition and Costco is still probably one of their smaller accounts.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Costco can only purchase the manufacturing time the ball factory is willing to sell them. Adding more shift hours to a fiscal quarter is rarely a simple proposition and Costco is still probably one of their smaller accounts.

No argument from me.

I suspect they're accustomed to being able to leverage their quantities to get what they want.   I suspect they probably could get that, but not at the price they want, especially when the factory has other customers willing to pay more.

I tried those a couple years ago, not bad off the driver but absolutely zero stopping power

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

This seems to be what Costco is doing, buying over runs of end of life products for cheap and reselling them. I'm sure once they have run out of these they will do the same with a different ball.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it looks like the big return is happening... sorta.. not really.. 

Costco is putting out there own ball yes.. but it's not the same as the one previously launched. This is a 3pcs with an M,M rating (low spin across the board) and from what the blog post says is on par with a lot of garbage balls out there.. with they exception of the Wilson Duo of course.

What are your thoughts? will you buy it and play it for the 2 doz for $30?? even though it's not the tour ball that everyone was hoping for??

If you haven't read the blog post it's here..

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-costco-signature-golf-ball/

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

Still have 3 dozen left, after that it's off to Srixon Q Star Tour balls for me. Costco balls had their moment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Nope. If you want to play cheap balls with subpar performance there are many cheaper than these. Hell if you go with this type of ball second hand you can probably get 100 for twenty bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Oh i agree, I myself will not be buying these balls, wanted to see what the community thought about this.

I think they'll still get sales from this as uninformed people (everyone that's not part of MGS!! haha)

who will see them there and think "hey that looks like a good price for 2 dozen.."

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

I just hope that's its very evident from the packaging that it's a different ball. The original K-Sig got a lot of press and there was a frenzy when there was a shortage.....I would just hate to see people buying a bunch of these balls thinking they are getting the same quality as the first batch.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I say, wait and see. If they stack up comparably to the Wilson Duo, that's a good price for a decent ball. Maybe not a Sunday gamer but if I'm getting a fast 9 in mid-week? Oh yeah!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I tried the Kirkland balls when they came out a friend in Florida graciously sent me a sleeve. I have messed around with different balls the last 3 years including the Snell but always come back to the Pro V.

I get them used from several sources down here which is good enough for me since I do not play comp or big money matches any more.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I bought them the last time they were released and I wasn't impressed except at how much money I made on selling them. I gave a few sleeves to some friends and tested a sleeve. I have a par 3 course near me with 2 of the first 3 holes being less than 100 yards. Makes it perfect for testing. I noticed after the 3rd hole that part of the cover was already coming off. I was only 1 over at that point so it's not like it was getting well used. I currently use the Z Star XV and I just didn't feel that the k-sig ball held the green as well. I decided to sell the remaining 15 and made close to $50 on them. It was fun to try, but I'm going to take my profit and run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

• 2 months later...

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The Costco website has the KS 4 piece ball reviewed by MGS in stock for members only.  You can order 2 packs of the 24 balls (so 48 balls for $75 roughly).  There is a $4.99 per pack shipping charge.  Get 'em while you can.   I had a very hard time trying to login with Chrome and had to switch to Firefox to complete login process and purchase.

Good luck.  

PS:  You are limited to 1 order for KS Golf Balls (multiple orders will be cancelled).  so if you want 2 - twin packs, order them at the same time.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-4-piece-Urethane-Cover-Golf-Ball%2C-2-dozen.product.100310467.html?catalogId=10701&langId=-1&storeId=10301&krypto=j%2BMy2rPPHrS9YlGwbGKe%2BoJhUBHt6Sf8uueFCKsHe36y4FHgMwAjeOf%2B8j0kT20MI68NSBDGXT4RG955HykMV3QdP38bwa0nAn82zdEj1crDpOAyl5PrWhXkH559cnO5