TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shot Scope - personal mini review

Some of you may remember me saying something like "what the ******* is that" when the first Shot Scope wrist band was shown at the PGA Show. Well. They reached out to me before the summer, and asked if I wanted to test their product. Sure. That's what I do for a living, and I can never get enough golf products that need to be charged with a usb cord. I hope it's ok that I share my experience with Shot Scope.

Shot Scope is the new kid on the shot-tracking-block. Not a crowded neighborhood at the moment, and there's still not a perfect product there.

I've previously used Game Golf, Game Golf Live, Arccos and CaddieON.

My main issues with the competition.

Game Golf - tagging.

Arccos - huge tags.

CaddieON - phone had to be in your pocket, some problems with course data and shot collection.

shot-scope.png?w=948

Shot Scope uses a wrist band. There's no tagging. It's automatic, and it never fails. It picks up everything flawlessly. The wrist band is like a GPS watch. The fit and comfort is fine. I never wear GPS watches unless I have to for product testing, but I didn't mind wearing the Shot Scope. Having to use a wrist band is also the only major problem with Shot Scope. What do you do if you own a GPS watch?

So you've got automatic shot detection. That's cool, but Arccos also does this. How is this better than the monstertags from Arccos? The answer is in the pin. The flag. The hole. You can mark the position of the pin with the 1-4 buttons on your wrist band. 1 for one putt, 2 for two putts, 3 and 4 - I've never used those…….. :) This gives you awesome putting stats. And - the Shot Scope tags are tiny compared to Arccos.

Game Golf is huge on interaction, social media, sharing, games +++. Shot Scope is way behind on all of this. They need to come up with something great to keep their customers happy. I honestly believe Shot Scopes tech is better than Game Golf. It's user friendly. PinCollector is again a major positive for Shot Scope. But Game Golf is a polished, perfected and streamlined experience. It's Apple on a golf course.

Positive

• PinCollect is fantastic

• No tagging

• Flawless shot collection data

• Small tags

• Great people behind the product - love golf and golfers

• No need for phone in the pocket or close by

• Micro usb for charging

Negative

• App needs to be more than just for uploading rounds

• Editing rounds isn't painless

• Social media and online competitions/challenges must play a big part in the future. Not good enough at the moment

• Wrist band + GPS watch = many golfers can't use Shot Scope

The two things that'll make me keep using Shot Scope is PinCollect and the flawless collection of shot data. Wearing a wrist band is surprisingly not a problem, and I'm sure the guys at Shot Scope will keep improving the app and online functions.

Shot Scope is running a campaign at the moment. Order from their website and use the code friends to get 15% discount.

ss1.png?w=2000&h=

skjermbilde-2016-09-08-kl-23-16-00.png?w

Just received one this week Furu -- looking forward to trying it out this coming week.  The wrist band, to my eye, is not what you'd call "sleek," but it is comparable to many GPS watches.  Game Golf was always a challenge for me - I'd forget to tag from time to time and that would skew the stats.  How does this thing tell the difference between a practice swing and an actual swing?  Gavin told me at the PGA show that there's tech inside that can tell, but wondering if you can shed some light?

Also, I have a counterweight my putter and inserting the putter sensor is always a problem.  I've cut off the screw and used double-stick tape with Game Golf -- ever run into this problem?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The counterweight problem has been mentioned by a lot of people. I don't have any other solution than what you mentioned.

I've asked about the shot detection and practice swing. And provisionals. I have to edit provisionals depending on which ball I end up playing. I'm guessing they're using similar technology to Garmin. The S20 registers shots, but you have to tell the watch which club you used. Shot Scope registers a hit (maybe vibration?) and know which club it is. The wrist band probably has sensors that registers the impact of hitting the ball.

It's definitely not sleek :D I did get used to it extremely quickly though. The band is pretty comfortable. Nice width for me. 

I had the same problem with Game Golf. So much post-round editing :) Game Golf Live was better. Could edit during the round on the phone. But - this wasn't precise. Dragging your finger around on google maps to mark the position isn't ideal. 

I was stunned when I played a full round with perfect tracking with Shot Scope. Expected missed shots but that didn't happen.

Hope you enjoy it. It's a good product that I'm sure will only get better as they expand the functionality.

Archived