Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

ShotScope Shot Tracking System - First Round Review

Barbajo -

Interesting review - good info! Sounds like a top contender in this category.

Question: since you didn't have the putter tag, is that what prevented the device from auto-marking your shots onto the green?

(ie. a putt would register the endpoint of your approach shot?)

Thanks!

Good point. The device records the end of any single shot by the geo tag of the subsequent shot, right? So the device should record the location of the first put. If not, how did it know where the approach shot stopped?

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

If I had the tag on the putter, it would have read the first putt. I just forgot to put it on. I have a counterweight in the putter and would have had to cut the screw off the tag.

Without the tag, the unit figured all my putts took place right at the Cup. I had to manually move the location of the putts while editing the round. It worked out well enough

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

But how did it know where the approach or pitch ended if it didn't record where the first putt took place?

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

But how did it know where the approach or pitch ended if it didn't record where the first putt took place?

Short answer is - without the tag in the putter - it didn't know.  I went from memory when editing the round.  I was able to move the location of the shot on the green during the editing process to as close to the location as I could recall.  The editing function uses GPS imagery of each hole - you can zoom in pretty close and then move the location of the shot to the area where it actually took place.  All this is done manually after the fact. 

Now, if I had installed the tag in the putter handle, the unit would have picked up the location automatically when I used the putter.  

I hope I'm explaining this well -- it's pretty obvious if you're actually looking at the editing function, but it's kind of hard to describe. Let me try to get some screen shots and maybe that can clarify.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Maybe this will help...

shotscope 4.jpg

Since I did not put the tag in the handle of my putter, the unit had no way of knowing I was actually using the putter.  What I wound up doing was use the unit's "PinCollect" function after holing out. There are 4 buttons on the unit, indicating 1, 2, 3 or 4 putts - however many you took.  When you hole out, you hold the unit over the cup and then press the button indicating the number of putts taken.  That lets the unit know exactly where the hole is.

Now, if I had the tag in the putter, it would have known where each putt had started and would have been able to figure out how long the last putt was.  Without the tag, the unit placed all the putts taken on the green to the exact location of the hole.  So really it looked like I missed a crap-ton of incredibly short putts.  

Using the mouse and cursor, you can drag and drop the little dot indicating each shot to the location on the green where you actually hit the ball from.  Again, with the tag in the putter handle, you don't have to do this - the unit would pick up the shot automatically. The tag in the putter works like the tag in any other club - it picks up the spot from where you've hit the shot. 

On the screenshot above -- the unit originally figured both of my putts came right at the hole location. I was able to manually move the location of shots 3 and 4 to the general area from where they took place.  

I'm not sure I'm explaining this well enough - but I hope you get the idea.  With the tag in the putter, the unit picks up the location automatically, Without it - since I forgot to put it in - you have to do it manually after the fact.  It's easy enough to do, depending on memory.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks John. This makes sense. My first instinct was that the system goes into a power save mode until it detects a club tag next to the wrist device, therefore not detecting the first putt without the tag in the putter. But what threw me off was not knowing you had manually edited the approach geo tag to then document the putts. Great review and thank you for the courtesy and feedback.

Rich

Archived