TESTERS WANTED! ×

Forged GI Irons?

4Left

Hey Everyone,

It's getting close to new iron time for me and I have been looking at a few sets and was wondering if any of you have them in your bag.

I have a set of TM TP CB's (2011/2012 version) with DG R300's off the rack (tsk tsk I know, not going be making that mistake twice) I like them because they have a forged feel with some GI features.

What I think I am missing is some of the spring effect you can get from more recent models that I have been reading about and I definitely need to look at different flex shafts as well.

SO anyone gaming something like a Mizuno EZ forged, 850 forged, or a Srixon z545? Any other ideas would be appreciated!

I play the Mizuno JPX 800 PRO from 2012 and they feel great. I've read lots of good things about each new iteration of the JPX line, so i think it's a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I once had a set of the Callaway forged GIs, the very first set they made forged. I have often asked myself why I got rid of them. They were as forgiving as anything I have used, they were forged, and as long as anything I've used. No, they aren't a new design, but they played very well. I haven't looked for a set in years, but you might be able to get a good deal on a nice, well-taken-care-of used set.

I couldn't recommend the Srixon 545s enough. They are a GI iron with the looks of something much more player-ish. I have been gaming mine since they came out and I plan on playing them until the grooves are gone.

With the 565s out of now, you can find some killer deals on ebay for a set of 545s

Also, the 850fs are going to be much closer in size and performance than the EZ Forged. EZ forged is going to be be a bit more chunky and probably a tad more forgiving. 850fs will be slightly less forgiving than the 545s and offer a thinner top line.

Great recommendations so far, I'd also throw in the Hogan PTx irons.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The Callaway CF16's may or may not be classfied as a GI, but as an 18 HC I played them this year with no issue at all, one of the easier Irons i've ever hit. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• SPY VIP

Had the opportunity to bum around at modern golf last week and hit a bunch of the new clubs. The Mizuno JPX900 series is seriously legit, so are the new Srixon. Currently I'm gaming the Wilson F5's with Aerotech Steelfiber and will tell you to go try those as well.

So many choices, I'm excited for you.

- sent from space

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Bridgestone j15 dpf's. The most forgiving I've come across with such a thin profile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Great recommendations so far, I'd also throw in the Hogan PTx irons.

If your looking for a middle ground between gi and players irons these are the way to go.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I couldn't recommend the Srixon 545s enough. They are a GI iron with the looks of something much more player-ish. I have been gaming mine since they came out and I plan on playing them until the grooves are gone.

With the 565s out of now, you can find some killer deals on ebay for a set of 545s

I'll echo Joe's thoughts too. If you're looking for the best forged GI irons on the market then look no further than Srixon 545 or 565 irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll echo the endorsement of the Srixon's -- the new line is really, really strong.  Had a chance to try Bridgestone's JGR Forged hybrid irons last spring.  They look kinda goofy by goodness are they easy to hit and have a really nice forged feel.

I'm anxious to give Bridgestone's new JGR CB forged irons a try, as well.  The heads look more like a player's iron, but from what Bridgestone says they have a TON of GI built in.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'll echo the endorsement of the Srixon's -- the new line is really, really strong. Had a chance to try Bridgestone's JGR Forged hybrid irons last spring. They look kinda goofy by goodness are they easy to hit and have a really nice forged feel.

I'm anxious to give Bridgestone's new JGR CB forged irons a try, as well. The heads look more like a player's iron, but from what Bridgestone says they have a TON of GI built in.

I'm interested to try out the JGR CB on e they hit retail. Loved my J15 CBs. Not loving the looks of the JGRs with the offset but if they feel and play good it'll be hard to deny them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An underrated set that you can find fairly inexpensive are the Adams CMB3 irons. Saw a set today in great shape for $279 with Steelfibers in them. Came darn close to picking them up for the shafts.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

CMB or CB3? I am interested... Based on reviews here, etc. Literally saving my pennies for next season.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

That is pretty much stealing

Ditto.  Excellent iron set...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

CMB or CB3? I am interested... Based on reviews here, etc. Literally saving my pennies for next season.

These irons and here is a review from MGS

http://www.mygolfspy.com/adams-cb3-irons-review/

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

If used is fair game I will weigh in - I had a set of the Adams Idea Pro's - nice little cavity back, reasonably easy to hit, buttery feel, I reshafted them to a lighter shaft and gamed them for 2 seasons before moving on (getting older I felt that I needed graphite and jacked lofts - I think that I was right.)  My son still has the Adam's which he has reshafted to fit his swing.  They are in my closet and they still look great and the sound very sweet when he hits them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How about these?

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-PW, AW Iron Set Used Golf Club  $294.99 @ Globalgolf.com

1027694-aaq.jpg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

How about these?

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-PW, AW Iron Set Used Golf Club $294.99 @ Globalgolf.com

1027694-aaq.jpg

They feel good, but they spin like crazy. I couldn't keep a 7 iron below 8000 no matter what I tried. Srixon 545 are a great choice. F5 from Wilson would be a good option as well. The Callaway Apex are phenomenal!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Archived