4Left

Forged GI Irons?

Our Sponsors

Hey Everyone,

It's getting close to new iron time for me and I have been looking at a few sets and was wondering if any of you have them in your bag.

I have a set of TM TP CB's (2011/2012 version) with DG R300's off the rack (tsk tsk I know, not going be making that mistake twice) I like them because they have a forged feel with some GI features.

What I think I am missing is some of the spring effect you can get from more recent models that I have been reading about and I definitely need to look at different flex shafts as well.

SO anyone gaming something like a Mizuno EZ forged, 850 forged, or a Srixon z545? Any other ideas would be appreciated!

I play the Mizuno JPX 800 PRO from 2012 and they feel great. I've read lots of good things about each new iteration of the JPX line, so i think it's a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I once had a set of the Callaway forged GIs, the very first set they made forged. I have often asked myself why I got rid of them. They were as forgiving as anything I have used, they were forged, and as long as anything I've used. No, they aren't a new design, but they played very well. I haven't looked for a set in years, but you might be able to get a good deal on a nice, well-taken-care-of used set.

I couldn't recommend the Srixon 545s enough. They are a GI iron with the looks of something much more player-ish. I have been gaming mine since they came out and I plan on playing them until the grooves are gone.

With the 565s out of now, you can find some killer deals on ebay for a set of 545s

• Like 2

Also, the 850fs are going to be much closer in size and performance than the EZ Forged. EZ forged is going to be be a bit more chunky and probably a tad more forgiving. 850fs will be slightly less forgiving than the 545s and offer a thinner top line.

Great recommendations so far, I'd also throw in the Hogan PTx irons.

• Like 1

The Callaway CF16's may or may not be classfied as a GI, but as an 18 HC I played them this year with no issue at all, one of the easier Irons i've ever hit. 

Had the opportunity to bum around at modern golf last week and hit a bunch of the new clubs. The Mizuno JPX900 series is seriously legit, so are the new Srixon. Currently I'm gaming the Wilson F5's with Aerotech Steelfiber and will tell you to go try those as well.

So many choices, I'm excited for you.

- sent from space

• Like 2

Great recommendations so far, I'd also throw in the Hogan PTx irons.

If your looking for a middle ground between gi and players irons these are the way to go.

I couldn't recommend the Srixon 545s enough. They are a GI iron with the looks of something much more player-ish. I have been gaming mine since they came out and I plan on playing them until the grooves are gone.

With the 565s out of now, you can find some killer deals on ebay for a set of 545s

I'll echo Joe's thoughts too. If you're looking for the best forged GI irons on the market then look no further than Srixon 545 or 565 irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll echo the endorsement of the Srixon's -- the new line is really, really strong.  Had a chance to try Bridgestone's JGR Forged hybrid irons last spring.  They look kinda goofy by goodness are they easy to hit and have a really nice forged feel.

I'm anxious to give Bridgestone's new JGR CB forged irons a try, as well.  The heads look more like a player's iron, but from what Bridgestone says they have a TON of GI built in.

I'll echo the endorsement of the Srixon's -- the new line is really, really strong. Had a chance to try Bridgestone's JGR Forged hybrid irons last spring. They look kinda goofy by goodness are they easy to hit and have a really nice forged feel.

I'm anxious to give Bridgestone's new JGR CB forged irons a try, as well. The heads look more like a player's iron, but from what Bridgestone says they have a TON of GI built in.

I'm interested to try out the JGR CB on e they hit retail. Loved my J15 CBs. Not loving the looks of the JGRs with the offset but if they feel and play good it'll be hard to deny them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An underrated set that you can find fairly inexpensive are the Adams CMB3 irons. Saw a set today in great shape for $279 with Steelfibers in them. Came darn close to picking them up for the shafts.

• Like 2

CMB or CB3? I am interested... Based on reviews here, etc. Literally saving my pennies for next season.

I just picked up a srixon combo set 545/745 on tgw for $399, they will be here tomorrow. Can't wait!!

That is pretty much stealing
  • Like 2

That is pretty much stealing

Ditto.  Excellent iron set...