TESTERS WANTED! ×

What kind of course do you prefer?

SuperDave

I agree about the houses.  My favorite courses that I have played over the years didn't have any houses.  I play a muni, and there are no houses directly on the course, but some condos are visible.  However, there is a place for that type of course, mostly in retirement communities.  I have played some very nice courses with houses on them, but they were tastefully done, and set back off the course with trees between them and the fairway; not in reach of a slice.  :lol:

Obviously the best courses will be laid out naturally, but if the location for a course has been predetermined by circumstance, I am not put off by moving lots of dirt IF it will make for a better course than it would otherwise.

I have played a handful of courses where housing was visible but not really reachable during normal play.  I didn't mean to imply this type of course fit my description.  I haven't played any courses within the concept of a retirement community.  

Part of the issue with modern design is land just isn't as available as it was 80 years ago and the best properties are already in use.  But moving to much dirt causes erosion and stormwater collection issues down the road that are unavoidable for most courses.  Piping runoff should be used only when all other options have been exhausted.  The more terrain can be left alone, the less stormwater structures are required.

Stormwater structures require significant maintenance and are usually the first things neglected when purse-strings get tighter.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Lack of maintenance for a brief period can and will reduce the lifespan by incredible measures.  I cannot begin to tell you the number of courses built within the last 20 years where my firm has been commissioned to address these issues.  

The most common problems are standing water in fairways caused by an elevated water table.  Placing a 24" diameter pipe in the ground forces the natural water table around it to rise.  Pour a half a cup of water and put a golf ball inside.  The water level in the cup is forced upward.  The biggest and costliest issue tends arise when these structures become clogged and aren't cleaned out.  The standing water becomes corrosive and eventually compromises the integrity of the structure.  This will eventually lead to sink holes if not addressed.

Sorry, I did it again. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have played a handful of courses where housing was visible but not really reachable during normal play.  I didn't mean to imply this type of course fit my description.  I haven't played any courses within the concept of a retirement community.  

Part of the issue with modern design is land just isn't as available as it was 80 years ago and the best properties are already in use.  But moving to much dirt causes erosion and stormwater collection issues down the road that are unavoidable for most courses.  Piping runoff should be used only when all other options have been exhausted.  The more terrain can be left alone, the less stormwater structures are required.

Stormwater structures require significant maintenance and are usually the first things neglected when purse-strings get tighter.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Lack of maintenance for a brief period can and will reduce the lifespan by incredible measures.  I cannot begin to tell you the number of courses built within the last 20 years where my firm has been commissioned to address these issues.  

The most common problems are standing water in fairways caused by an elevated water table.  Placing a 24" diameter pipe in the ground forces the natural water table around it to rise.  Pour a half a cup of water and put a golf ball inside.  The water level in the cup is forced upward.  The biggest and costliest issue tends arise when these structures become clogged and aren't cleaned out.  The standing water becomes corrosive and eventually compromises the integrity of the structure.  This will eventually lead to sink holes if not addressed.

Sorry, I did it again. 

Keep doing it!!  That's a lot of information that most of us don't know.  I had never thought about the infrastructure maintenance costs, but I can see that they could be substantial.

Ground water is not an issue where I live... in a desert.  We don't get a lot of rain; about 7 inches a year, and when it does rain hard, it soaks right into the sandy soil.  I do travel a lot and have played all over the country.  I have seen just about every type of course.  The best courses seem to be built outside of towns where real estate is plentiful, and the architect can work with the natural terrain.  The problem comes when the selected site is basically flat and uninteresting, so features are added.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The guy I played with today chunked his tee shot, which would normally cause a nice splash followed by 3 off the tee. Today, it bounced... twice... and then up onto the green!

He looked at me like it was my fault, and asked "how the hell do we score that?" My response was "we play it as it lies". Then he walks up and sinks his birdie putt!

MyGolfSpy[/url]

Awesome story, I laughed out loud... I have a golf buddy like this, not a very good striker of the ball, certainly not a long hitter, but he's scrappy as hell, and he tends to get lucky here and there... when he does, watch out... because even though he'll have 4x 3 putt bogeys, it's the holes where he should make bogey or double, but gets a bounce... that's where he's almost automatic - and where 70% of his birdies come from. It can be infuriating to gamble against him, and an absolute blast to have him on my team.

What I look for in a golf course:

I favor target golf, I like to have "spots" to hit it to. Down here in Dallas/FW, a large majority of courses either have some tiff of Bermuda greens, or have put a hybrid tiff down in the last decade... so, when I get the chance to roll putts on some good bent, I relish it.

There's not much that gets under my skin on the golf course (anymore) --- however, I truly dislike "optical illusions" on the golf course. Like, an elevated tee on a dogleg par 4, where it looks inviting to shave off as much of the corner as is viable -- after you rip one right at the corner, you discover a pond/puddle with hazard paint encircling it, tucked just behind the corner and completely hidden from the tee. That just comes to mind because it happened in my last round, against my previously mentioned golf buddy, and despite shooting 74 to his 81, he left with twenty of my dollars after the round.

Whatever, beats the honey-do list. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

I have been blessed to play on golf courses that I wouldn't be able to afford to play, lived in Hawaii for 6 years and caddied at the Lotte, Sony Open and Champions Tour (Ko'Olina, Waialae and Kapolei GC), those courses are not that expensive considering you are in Hawaii, I have played, however, Kapalua, Pebble Beach and Pinehurst #2 all due to being part of the All Army Golf Team (back in my younger days)...loved every second of it!!!

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

I have been blessed to play on golf courses that I wouldn't be able to afford to play, lived in Hawaii for 6 years and caddied at the Lotte, Sony Open and Champions Tour (Ko'Olina, Waialae and Kapolei GC), those courses are not that expensive considering you are in Hawaii, I have played, however, Kapalua, Pebble Beach and Pinehurst #2 all due to being part of the All Army Golf Team (back in my younger days)...loved every second of it!!!

Lucky guy! I've heard the course at West Point is one helluva challenge!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Easier to say what I don't like.

Courses that are too punitive. I don't mind trouble but, with the exception of water, I'd like the opportunity to at least punch out.

Don't like target golf, tricked out holes or tiny greens.

Don't care for ridiculously long courses without enough teebox options. Multiple 400+ par 4s and l'll pick another course to play.

R1 TP w/Fujikura Speeder57 Evolution Stiff
Speedline Super S 3W 15* w/Matrix HD Radix S 60 Stiff
Idea Tech V4 3-hybrid Stiff
Blue Irons 5-PW TrueTemper Dynalite 85 Stiff
CG15 52* & 588 RTX 56* Wedges
Cure RXi

I have been lucky to play some nice courses and my favorite and preferred setup would be Winged Foot. The course is hard and the greens will beat you down but you can spray the ball all day and still not lose a ball.

Courses where you have a chance to recover and not worry about OB every hole are great. Short game is still key but the open nature of the course keeps everyone in your group involved and positive.

I also really enjoy a course you can walk where the setup from green to tee box is laid out well like some of the older northeast tracks.

I prefer a course that is routed in one open piece of property rather than winding through a neighborhood.

In my  :titelist-small: 14 way Stand Bag

Driver:  :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond 9°  w Diamana (White) D+ 70 XStiff

or  :callaway-small: Big Bertha V Series 9° (adjusted to 8*) w Aldila Rogue Silver XStiff

(Depends on the state of the swing)

FW:  :callaway-small:   XR 16 15° w Speeder Evolution II TS 765 XStiff

FW:  :callaway-small:  Great Big Bertha Mens Heavenwood 20° w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi XStiff

Irons:  :bridgestone-small: J15 DF 4-PW w Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw XStiff

Wedge:  :titelist-small: 54* & 58* on True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedge:  :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* w KBS Tour 120 S

Putter:  Odyssey Works Big T Versa V- Line

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Soft Truvis

Shoes:  :footjoy-small: Dryjoy Casual

I like hard courses - not necessarily narrow or tricked up, but courses with tough greens complexes, requiring thought off the tee, and elevation changes (including side hill and up/down hill lies in the fairway).

A course like Wolf Creek in NV is over the top, but Pinehurst #8, Dismal River Red and Shadow Creek are close to perfect, imho. I am sure there are others, 

I like courses like this. That's the 18th tee at Bayou.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

attachicon.gif 1218161647.jpg

Yea buddy!   Grip it and rip on that bad boy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

That worked yesterday Ole gray, hit my career drive there.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That worked yesterday Ole gray, hit my career drive there.

Some holes have that reach back and git ya some feel to em. On the other hand, some holes have that tighten up the old booty look

Cleveland

I love a course that requires precision. I'm most definitely a precision player and not a distance guy. The most frustrating and thus boring courses to me are the ones that are clearly designed for ONLY a long hitter. I understand rewarding the player for hitting it far, but don't leave it wide open and let someone swing out of their shoes and be in play. A good, balanced course where I can stand next to a guy and be 50 yards shorter than him, but keep up with him through placement and short game is the best kind of design in my mind.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

attachicon.gif1218161647.jpg

So that's what the middle of the fairway looks like at Bayou!!  I played that hole from the right.   :(

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Some holes have that reach back and git ya some feel to em. On the other hand, some holes have that tighten up the old booty look

You mean like this opening hole at Indian Canyon...?

IndianCanyonLR.jpg

I love a course that requires precision. I'm most definitely a precision player and not a distance guy. The most frustrating and thus boring courses to me are the ones that are clearly designed for ONLY a long hitter. I understand rewarding the player for hitting it far, but don't leave it wide open and let someone swing out of their shoes and be in play. A good, balanced course where I can stand next to a guy and be 50 yards shorter than him, but keep up with him through placement and short game is the best kind of design in my mind.

I like your way of thinking!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I like your way of thinking!

Thanks for the kind words!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Thanks for the kind words!

Of course .. but your post was spot-on and nicely summarized what a good golf challenge should really be!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

You mean like this opening hole at Indian Canyon...?

attachicon.gifIndianCanyonLR.jpg

Perfect hole, fits my ball flight nicely.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My preferences are for courses without houses, with beautiful scenery, good grass, great greens, what you see is what you get layout, friendly folks, and caddie services.  

I've only found a few places with those qualities but most courses have something to enjoy.  I've played golf in every state as well as a few foreign courses and enjoyed over 99% of the courses.  

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

My preferences are for courses without houses, with beautiful scenery, good grass, great greens, what you see is what you get layout, friendly folks, and caddie services.  

I've only found a few places with those qualities but most courses have something to enjoy.  I've played golf in every state as well as a few foreign courses and enjoyed over 99% of the courses.  

My preference as well.  You are a lot closer to one of my favorites than I am.  If you are ever up just east of Knoxville, TN, play River Islands.  This course is a beautiful out 'n back layout with a snack bar between 9 and 10.  Wonderful scenery.  I love the course, but it beats me up every time I play it.  Check out the photos here on their website:

http://www.riverislandsgolf.com/aboutus/photogallery/

I like courses that offer tee options that will let young bucks take on a challenge if they wish and also that is senior friendly to old coots such as myself.   Outside of my senior associations, at my age, I tend to play with younger folks.   Such a course allows my younger friends to play the longer distances they want and for me to play the senior tees.   Fortunately, my young buck friends do not mind if use the tees more suited to my age and game.   This allows us to enjoy the golf, but more importantly, each others company.    

I like courses that offer tee options that will let young bucks take on a challenge if they wish and also that is senior friendly to old coots such as myself.   Outside of my senior associations, at my age, I tend to play with younger folks.   Such a course allows my younger friends to play the longer distances they want and for me to play the senior tees.   Fortunately, my young buck friends do not mind if use the tees more suited to my age and game.   This allows us to enjoy the golf, but more importantly, each others company.    

I'll keep you company from them senior tees!!

At this point I just wish I could play any course that my ball doesn't disappear in the fairway

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

At this point I just wish I could play any course that my ball doesn't disappear in the fairway

Quite a change from sunny, old San Diego!  Gold Mountain is great!!

Quite a change from sunny, old San Diego! Gold Mountain is great!!

I love Gold Mountain used to play it all the time when I was stationed in Bremerton.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Old fashioned style course. Very walkable,greens complexes that allow running shots as well as high shots. I recently played the CC of Salisbury in Salisbury,NC. It is an old Ross course, and it is the kind of course I would enjoy playing everyday.

Old fashioned style course. Very walkable,greens complexes that allow running shots as well as high shots. I recently played the CC of Salisbury in Salisbury,NC. It is an old Ross course, and it is the kind of course I would enjoy playing everyday.

We have two Donald Ross courses in our area. I love them both. Playable, challenging and yet fun for any skill level. One used to be the winter home of the PGA tour and you can play it for 35. There is one par 3 on the back where I can picture Hogan standing on the tee next to me. The place oozes with history.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'll keep you company from them senior tees!!

And I'll keep all you old coots company on the senior tees ;) 

Cleveland

I'm a little late to the party and haven't browsed the entire thread, but I love a links course. It's the style I learned to play on in TN, then in West TX. Living in East/Central TX is a change for me. No roll out here, which hurts my high ball flight. Plus those dang trees...

Also, Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Archived