TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dick's Buys GolfSmith at Auction

GolfSpy Barbajo

Gotta admit, this one took me by surprise...

Exclusive: Dick's wins auction for U.S. business of bankrupt Golfsmith - sources

The Dick's Sporting Goods store in Broomfield, Colorado, U.S. is seen November 18, 2014.  REUTERS/Rick Wilking/File Phot

Dick's Sporting Goods Inc (DKS.N), teamed up with liquidators, won a bankruptcy auction on Friday for the U.S. business of Golfsmith International Holdings Inc [GOFTWG.UL] with a bid of about $70 million, according to people familiar with the matter.

Dick's plans to keep open at least 30 Golfsmith stores and wind down the rest with liquidators from Hilco Global and Tiger Capital Group, the people said. It plans to keep about 500 of the company's employees.

Golfsmith had 109 stores in the United States at the time of its bankruptcy filing last month, and has been closing stores since then.With the bid, Dick's, the largest U.S. sporting goods retailer, also won Golfsmith's intellectual property and inventory, the people added, asking not to be identified because the results of the auction are not yet public. 

The outcome of the auction still has to be approved by a U.S. bankruptcy court judge.

Dick's and Golfsmith did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Golfsmith filed for bankruptcy in the United States and Canada due to competition from discount retailers Wal Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) and Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), as well as golf's waning popularity among younger customers.

Earlier this year, Dick's won the auction for the intellectual property of bankrupt competitor Sports Authority Inc with a bid of $15 million.

Dick's already operates its own specialty golf shops, called Golf Galaxy. It is unclear whether Dick's will re-brand the Golfsmith shops, one of the people said.

Dick's beat out a competing bid from Worldwide Golf Shops and liquidators from Great American Group LLC, who had also planned to carry forward about 30 Golfsmith stores and shutter the rest. Golfsmith was also considering reorganizing with the support of its existing lenders.

Golfsmith last month announced a deal to sell its Canadian shops, operating under the name Golf Town, to a group led by Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd (FFH.TO) and CI Investments Inc.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Does the $70 million price tag surprise you?  How about closing down all but about 30 GolfSmith stores?  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yea 500 to 30 stores, that''s a lot of people off work.

Good luck to all of them.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Well with this taking place I know of one GS store in Dirty Myrtle that will close because it is probably less than 600 yards from the Dick's store in the mall across the street in Coastal Grand Mall. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

70 million seems very low. When I saw Dicks bought them I was not thrilled. Closing that many stores just doesn't seem good for the industry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Well with this taking place I know of one GS store in Dirty Myrtle that will close because it is probably less than 600 yards from the Dick's store in the mall across the street in Coastal Grand Mall.

My buddy that plays with us on Saturdays is the regional manager for the southeast and that is one of his stores. Not sure which ones are actually closing, he hasn't rally been able to say much. I'm sure we will find out more in the coming weeks

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My buddy that plays with us on Saturdays is the regional manager for the southeast and that is one of his stores. Not sure which ones are actually closing, he hasn't rally been able to say much. I'm sure we will find out more in the coming weeks

I wish I had known that because I could have given him a ear full about that store which probably ain't anything he has not already heard before anyhow. To give them some credit I do know they had constant turn over of employees at that store which is "par for the course" for any retail in this transient low wage paying area. Golfsmith actually built that store from the ground up. The other store in North Myrtle they bought out a local big box store called Golf Dimisions and redone it. The other  GD store was across the waterway a mile from the one in Dirty Myrtle and they sold that property to a big church organization and they have a huge church in it now. They had already built and opened the one store when they bought out GD. I have never been in the one in North Myrtle. I know when they first opened up the one in Dirty Myrtle they had lots of club supplies. Then after a year or so it dwindled down to nothing.

The last time I was in there was 8 months or so. I was in the area with my wife and a guy called me wanting 2 clubs regripped. I told him I did not have those grips in stock but I was right at Golfsmith and would get him 2. So I stopped in and got 2. Went to check out and the store was not crowded at all. There was one guy at the checkout and they were piddling around and the employee informed me that it would be 15 minutes or so before I could pay for my purchase. I looked around and there were 2 or 3 more employees goofing around they could have taken care of me on 2 grips. I told him never mind I could go up or down the road to get two frigging Tour Wraps. I left them right there on the counter. Went and called a friend of mine that owns an independent golf store in Surfside and he had the grips so I got them there on the way home.

That whole deal incensed me. I had done business with Golfsmith in the catalogs for years before they brought the stores from the area. I still had a customer number and a 800 number to call them. I called that Monday and told them to take my account number off their records and to take me off the e-mail and mailing lists that I was through with them. I did get a call maybe a week later from customer service and I gave the rep an earfull. To give them credit they did send me a $50 gift certificate which I went in and got some balls but never went in there again. If all their stores were ran like that one no wonder they went belly up. I have seen a bunch of stories simular to mine over on WRX. For every good story on them there seemed to be 10 bad ones. For those without local knowledge of the small stores in the area the big PGA SS is just up the street about 11 blocks north. It has a lot more selection in all areas and is a bigger better ran store. I am probably in the minority and do not buy much modern stuff but do a lot of trading and stuff on used equipment. Most of my shop supplies I have 2 wholesale sources locally and do business some with the 2 locally owned mom and pop stores here on this end. My other buddy and I will get up a big order and Piggyback an order under my number to Maltby for some stuff. In fact we sent off a $300 order Friday-- I have done so much business with Maltby over the years that I get free shipping under my number for any orders over $100. I hate it for some of good guys at Golfsmith on loosing their job but in a nutshell I could care less about Golfsmith as a whole

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I wish I had known that because I could have given him a ear full about that store which probably ain't anything he has not already heard before anyhow. To give them some credit I do know they had constant turn over of employees at that store which is "par for the course" for any retail in this transient low wage paying area. Golfsmith actually built that store from the ground up. The other store in North Myrtle they bought out a local big box store called Golf Dimisions and redone it. The other GD store was across the waterway a mile from the one in Dirty Myrtle and they sold that property to a big church organization and they have a huge church in it now. They had already built and opened the one store when they bought out GD. I have never been in the one in North Myrtle. I know when they first opened up the one in Dirty Myrtle they had lots of club supplies. Then after a year or so it dwindled down to nothing.

The last time I was in there was 8 months or so. I was in the area with my wife and a guy called me wanting 2 clubs regripped. I told him I did not have those grips in stock but I was right at Golfsmith and would get him 2. So I stopped in and got 2. Went to check out and the store was not crowded at all. There was one guy at the checkout and they were piddling around and the employee informed me that it would be 15 minutes or so before I could pay for my purchase. I looked around and there were 2 or 3 more employees goofing around they could have taken care of me on 2 grips. I told him never mind I could go up or down the road to get two frigging Tour Wraps. I left them right there on the counter. Went and called a friend of mine that owns an independent golf store in Surfside and he had the grips so I got them there on the way home.

That whole deal incensed me. I had done business with Golfsmith in the catalogs for years before they brought the stores from the area. I still had a customer number and a 800 number to call them. I called that Monday and told them to take my account number off their records and to take me off the e-mail and mailing lists that I was through with them. I did get a call maybe a week later from customer service and I gave the rep an earfull. To give them credit they did send me a $50 gift certificate which I went in and got some balls but never went in there again. If all their stores were ran like that one no wonder they went belly up. I have seen a bunch of stories simular to mine over on WRX. For every good story on them there seemed to be 10 bad ones. For those without local knowledge of the small stores in the area the big PGA SS is just up the street about 11 blocks north. It has a lot more selection in all areas and is a bigger better ran store. I am probably in the minority and do not buy much modern stuff but do a lot of trading and stuff on used equipment. Most of my shop supplies I have 2 wholesale sources locally and do business some with the 2 locally owned mom and pop stores here on this end. My other buddy and I will get up a big order and Piggyback an order under my number to Maltby for some stuff. In fact we sent off a $300 order Friday-- I have done so much business with Maltby over the years that I get free shipping under my number for any orders over $100. I hate it for some of good guys at Golfsmith on loosing their job but in a nutshell I could care less about Golfsmith as a whole

Golfsmith isn't always the best option for golf stuff, even here in the Charlotte area. The prices for non club related things are expensive as with every good retail store, I usually buy on line if I can, we have some pretty decent employees here at he one in Charlotte, occasionally they are short handed, but I think that is from people not showing up for work.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I just bought a sun mountain front 9 at my local Golfsmith for $54 because it was closing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Golf Everyday!

Irons: Cleveland 588 mb / True Temper DG S300 / Std. Length and lie

Driver: Cleveland 588 Custom / Aldila 2KXV NV 75 Stiff

3W: Cleveland 588 / stock stiff shaft

5W: Callaway Diablo Octane Tour / stock stiff shaft

Right Handed

Massachusetts

Somewhere in the 80s

Nothing surprised me really. Although I hate to see a Texas company go under. When I lived in Austin many years ago I'd go to GS off and on all the time. It was a busy place and they had everything. However, the last couple of times I went there in the last year or two it was boring I thought. That's partially because of me since I didn't really need anything but was just killing time basically. What I recall was how nobody was shopping. Very few people in this huge store. Very few employees too.

One thing that struck me from the article Barbajo posted was that the writer said part of GS's demise was due to Walmart. Ain't buying. I hear this all the time when a store closes. Any store. It's Walmart's fault. I don't recall ever thinking I need to stop by Walmart to check out some golf equipment. Actually that's probably the last place that comes to mind.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Stopped by the store in Minnetonka, MN this morning - it's the store's last day. Inventory was pretty picked over - all that was left was some Snake Eyes apparel in medium and small, some

Women's apparent, assorted used clubs and demo irons and all kinds of odds and ends.

Picked up a Cleveland 588 CB 6-iron and an Adams XTD 6-iron with an Aldila RIP Tour graphite shaft. The pair combined cost me about 6 bucks

Sad to see the store so empty - it was always well stocked and had a really solid selected of used irons.

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251581.741352.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251595.376476.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251610.078069.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251621.930911.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251634.465006.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251650.948282.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251660.468631.jpg

And I was able to find a hardcover for the single greatest driver ever released by any OEM anywhere...

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251697.738451.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't expect much to change in our area. The closest GolfSmith to me is 30 minutes away and there are two Golf Galaxys in that same span.

Having direct access to equipment at work, it's not a huge deal to me. But it's still sad to see the closing of any business.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Hope they close the one here in Greenville, SC. Never have been a fan. Non-attentive staff, lousy inventory. Would love some super deals, however...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

And I was able to find a hardcover for the single greatest driver ever released by any OEM anywhere...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477251697.738451.jpg

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Picked this up off the web this morning......don't know if it adds anything to the news, but.....

On Sunday, reports broke of Dick's Sporting Goods' impending acquisition of the bankrupt big box golf superstore, Golfsmith, for a smooth $70 million. It's unknown whether the remaining Golfsmiths will retain their branding or fall under Dick's Golf Galaxy brand, but the purchase signals Dick's strong belief in the golf equipment market.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hey Golfspy Barbajo...

Why did you only show the SLDR-C headcover if you really love it so much?  Better to showcase the entire product in all its awesome glory!..  :D

As good as a driver clubhead ever gets and still available at the few remaining Golfsmith Stores!.. :P

sldr-cCrown3.jpg

SLDR-C clubface.jpg

SLDR-C Driver.jpg

$_57.JPG

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Like a ninja...he strikes again!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Hey Bobcat.....what does the SLDR-C have to do with Golfsmith getting purchased by Dick's?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Barbajo posted a picture of the headcover with the caption "Best OEM driver ever..." basically...

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Barbajo posted a picture of the headcover with the caption "Best OEM driver ever..." basically...

Correct!...(Pic and comment was part of Barbajo's Post #12)

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Hope they close the one here in Greenville, SC. Never have been a fan. Non-attentive staff, lousy inventory. Would love some super deals, however...

Sounds like the Myrtle Beach store by Coastal Grand Mall

G

Kinda lucky here - the Richfield, MN GolfSmith is really very good. Excellent staff and Mark the manager is outstanding. He knows equipment and knows the game. The guys he has on staff do, compared to GG or PGA SuperStore, a very good job matching up club to golfer. Their chief fitter is named Bob - can't remember his last name - but he's helped me out several times.  I'd still hit up 2nd Swing for a full fitting, but these guys have never steered my wrong. Hope their store survives the cut.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The one part about his purchase that I can't understand is the motivation by Dick's? They own Golf Galaxy and from what I can find most of that line of business is underperforming from projections. I thought about the brand angle but not sure how much value is left in Lynx, McGregor and Snake Eyes brands. I generally can weed through on these deals and find some angle that makes a bit of sense but this one has me perplexed.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The one part about his purchase that I can't understand is the motivation by Dick's? They own Golf Galaxy and from what I can find most of that line of business is underperforming from projections. I thought about the brand angle but not sure how much value is left in Lynx, McGregor and Snake Eyes brands. I generally can weed through on these deals and find some angle that makes a bit of sense but this one has me perplexed.

Can't just be the inventory, can it? I believe there are a few Golf Galaxy stores that are in danger of closing down - maybe the stores they're keeping open will just change places with GG's?

You're right, it's a bit mystifying.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I thought about that as well but they are selling most of the inventory at rock bottom prices as they are closing stores. Dicks did take a beating on their inventory when they decided to get out of the golf business. I have some calls into a few of my analyst contacts to get their thoughts on the acquisition.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I need to get to the local golfsmith ASAP!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Gonna go by and check mine out  tonight after work.....see if anything has changed.

I just done have the energy after the Sports Authority fiasco. If the Clearwater one is gone, it's gone. I will see that when I drive by their sometime.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting news. The golf industry is following the same fashion that a lot of commodity industries are seeing. Let's hope there is some dramatic change for the better soon. I know we have all heard it and are tired of it but we need to make sure everyone we know gets out and votes this election. If we make a good choice it could change this industry and every industry in this country.

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"What better gift from God than acres of neatly manicured scenery to chase a ball on!"

Archived