Regrets from this past season

Lonnie96

Next week is officially the last week our club is open.Had a great season and hate to see it go.My biggest regret is waiting all season to custom my own clubs.Now I have to wait the whole winter to see what their long term results will be.This is one regret.The other is kicking myself for passing up golf for a month where I just got burned out.

What is some of your regrets ?

Not playing enough.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

One of the joys of living in a year round golf suitable climate is not having any end of season. Weather conditions would only stop a handful of rounds a year, if that. Sometimes a short break might be good for me, but that doesn't happen often.

So no end of season regrets, but conversely no end of season highlights.

As a sideline, what proportion of the USA has extended periods of unplayable courses due to winter? It's something we never have to think about here in Aus.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

One of the joys of living in a year round golf suitable climate is not having any end of season. Weather conditions would only stop a handful of rounds a year, if that. Sometimes a short break might be good for me, but that doesn't happen often.

As a sideline, what proportion of the USA has extended periods of unplayable courses due to winter? It's something we never have to think about here in Aus.

where I'm at we have unplayable courses for 7 months. Season is very short. But I kinda like it really. I can't imagine playing golf year long.Would get so burned out with it

My biggest regret is despite having the access to be able to practice daily, I didn't practice nearly enough.   I'm vowing to correct that next year. 

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Definitely no regrets here. I've played more this year than I was able to the last few years. I worked really hard on my swing, and physical fitness, and I'm hitting it as far, at age 41, as I ever have in 20+ years of playing. I did spend a lot of money the last year experimenting with different heads and shafts but feel like I've put together an awesome bag at this point that will last me for the long haul (which probably means 6 months). The only club in danger at this point is the putter, simply because it's Ping and the rest of my bag has somehow all magically transitioned to Callaway. It makes perfect sense to find an Odyssey putter that fits me at this point and sign a contract with Callaway, right? Anyway, it's been a great golf year so far and I'm looking forward to it continuing. In two weeks, a buddy and I are heading up the road to the Myrtle Beach area to play 3 courses. Golf never ends in South Carolina!

• Like 3

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

It's always not playing more.  Realistically though I played about as much as I could for being a stay at home dad with a 2yr old and 5yr old.

My other big regret is not playing my SLDR all year and spending so much time trying to replace it.  At the end of the day it just flat out works for me and without some sort of drastic swing change I'm not going to do better with a different driver.

• Like 5

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

my biggest regret is not practicing enough.  I live 5 minutes from our club, no reason not to go putt or hit balls at lunch when working from home.  I think next year I will do this more, and hopefully my 4 year old will tag along.

• Like 4

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 18* 2 & 22* 4 Sub 70 949

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 5 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

In the Pacific Northwest it varies by location whether or not we can play all year.  West of the Cascade Mountains it is quite wet, but I have seen people slog around the course.  It is not my idea of golf.  East of the Cascades it is dry and colder and golf can be played all year, except in certain locations where they get more snow.  I live in the desert and while it can get cold, we play all year even when below freezing.  However, my wife has family that live in Spokane, about 140 miles north and the courses usually close around the end of November until spring.  They can get feet of snow, we might get an inch.  I would say that on average, there are a total of 10 days during the winter that we can't play.

I play as much I can during the year because I am retired, so I can't say that I regret not playing enough!  I played enough this year to bring down my GHIN from 10 to 8.  Maybe I could have done better, but I'm happy with that.  This year I joined a new golf club, and that has made me play better.  I now regret that I did not join this club several years ago.

Over the last year I made a few trips and managed to meet and play with GolfSpy Tim, GolfSpy Dave, revkev, and fozcycle. I met Mmmmmbuddy, but we haven't played yet.  I regret not meeting more fellow GolfSpy members, but I hope to meet more in the future.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

my biggest regret is not practicing enough.  I live 5 minutes from our club, no reason not to go putt or hit balls at lunch when working from home.  I think next year I will do this more, and hopefully my 4 year old will tag along.

I feel ya.   It's even worse for me.  Working at a course, our range is less than 100 yards from my office and the putting green about half that distance.  But I was so focused on not abusing the chance to practice versus work,  probably went too far the other direction.   I am here most mornings by 7:30 and while I don't have posted hours, generally my work day doesn't have to start until 9:00 AM or so, but I'd get into my office and make the mistake of turning my laptop on, and then the day would go by.

I need to learn to go straight to the range or putting green for at least 30 minutes to an hour, then come to the office. 

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Here in NE Ohio, it's 4 months give or take. I played in November/December last year and again in April this year.

• Like 1

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I too am in a location where there is no "winter" and we play all year round. My biggest regret this year was not taking a golf vacation as I had planned to this year. Chose work over vacation. We all need time off to recharge our batteries. Will definitely take one next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In My Bag

TM SIM 10.5, PX T1100 6.5 

TM SIM Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 8.5

TM SLDR 2H, MATRIX Black Tie 95HX

TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey Forged(JDM) 50, 54

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X

Waiting until late June to get fitted for new iron shafts.

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

One other big regret for the season.  Being slightly less than sober around 3am on the Wed night (technically Thurs AM) of a Wed-Sun guys golf trip and falling down and spraining my left thumb.  Hurt like hell and though I broke it for a little bit.  I played through it but it wasn't pretty and definitely hurt my game for a solid 6 weeks.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My other big regret is not playing my SLDR all year and spending so much time trying to replace it. At the end of the day it just flat out works for me and without some sort of drastic swing change I'm not going to do better with a different driver.

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477417032.390027.jpg

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If anything I regret working too much and not practicing my game near enough. I started the year out playing increasing better and better until about Mid-May. Then I played through about a 4 month slump and it was a whipping I'll tell you. But, during those four months I didn't make much attempt to correct it either. The weather has been nice since August when I started making some effort to get back to playing better. Guess what? A little practice works!

I play year round where I live and I'm thankful. However, I consider my official golf season over around Mid-November and restarting in late March. I don't enjoy playing dormant fairways all that much and the greens get too hard. Anyway... have a nice off season to you guys that are putting the clubs away.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

From mid October to late May is easily the best part of the golf season for me. Course condtions tend to be better, weather is cooler, more opprtunities to play also.

So it's not a season ending regret just a regret that I let my club membership lapse. Today reminded me of how much I enjoy the place.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

From mid October to late May is easily the best part of the golf season for me. Course condtions tend to be better, weather is cooler, more opprtunities to play also.

So it's not a season ending regret just a regret that I let my club membership lapse. Today reminded me of how much I enjoy the place.

I liked the course and the clubhouse and food was fantastic!  If I lived there I would likely be a member, if I could afford it.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The company was that day too Kenny

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.