Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Regrets from this past season

Lonnie96

Next week is officially the last week our club is open.Had a great season and hate to see it go.My biggest regret is waiting all season to custom my own clubs.Now I have to wait the whole winter to see what their long term results will be.This is one regret.The other is kicking myself for passing up golf for a month where I just got burned out.

What is some of your regrets ?

Not playing enough.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

One of the joys of living in a year round golf suitable climate is not having any end of season. Weather conditions would only stop a handful of rounds a year, if that. Sometimes a short break might be good for me, but that doesn't happen often.

So no end of season regrets, but conversely no end of season highlights.

As a sideline, what proportion of the USA has extended periods of unplayable courses due to winter? It's something we never have to think about here in Aus.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

One of the joys of living in a year round golf suitable climate is not having any end of season. Weather conditions would only stop a handful of rounds a year, if that. Sometimes a short break might be good for me, but that doesn't happen often.

As a sideline, what proportion of the USA has extended periods of unplayable courses due to winter? It's something we never have to think about here in Aus.

where I'm at we have unplayable courses for 7 months. Season is very short. But I kinda like it really. I can't imagine playing golf year long.Would get so burned out with it

My biggest regret is despite having the access to be able to practice daily, I didn't practice nearly enough.   I'm vowing to correct that next year. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Definitely no regrets here. I've played more this year than I was able to the last few years. I worked really hard on my swing, and physical fitness, and I'm hitting it as far, at age 41, as I ever have in 20+ years of playing. I did spend a lot of money the last year experimenting with different heads and shafts but feel like I've put together an awesome bag at this point that will last me for the long haul (which probably means 6 months). The only club in danger at this point is the putter, simply because it's Ping and the rest of my bag has somehow all magically transitioned to Callaway. It makes perfect sense to find an Odyssey putter that fits me at this point and sign a contract with Callaway, right? Anyway, it's been a great golf year so far and I'm looking forward to it continuing. In two weeks, a buddy and I are heading up the road to the Myrtle Beach area to play 3 courses. Golf never ends in South Carolina!

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

It's always not playing more.  Realistically though I played about as much as I could for being a stay at home dad with a 2yr old and 5yr old.

My other big regret is not playing my SLDR all year and spending so much time trying to replace it.  At the end of the day it just flat out works for me and without some sort of drastic swing change I'm not going to do better with a different driver.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

my biggest regret is not practicing enough.  I live 5 minutes from our club, no reason not to go putt or hit balls at lunch when working from home.  I think next year I will do this more, and hopefully my 4 year old will tag along.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

In the Pacific Northwest it varies by location whether or not we can play all year.  West of the Cascade Mountains it is quite wet, but I have seen people slog around the course.  It is not my idea of golf.  East of the Cascades it is dry and colder and golf can be played all year, except in certain locations where they get more snow.  I live in the desert and while it can get cold, we play all year even when below freezing.  However, my wife has family that live in Spokane, about 140 miles north and the courses usually close around the end of November until spring.  They can get feet of snow, we might get an inch.  I would say that on average, there are a total of 10 days during the winter that we can't play.

I play as much I can during the year because I am retired, so I can't say that I regret not playing enough!  I played enough this year to bring down my GHIN from 10 to 8.  Maybe I could have done better, but I'm happy with that.  This year I joined a new golf club, and that has made me play better.  I now regret that I did not join this club several years ago.

Over the last year I made a few trips and managed to meet and play with GolfSpy Tim, GolfSpy Dave, revkev, and fozcycle. I met Mmmmmbuddy, but we haven't played yet.  I regret not meeting more fellow GolfSpy members, but I hope to meet more in the future.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

my biggest regret is not practicing enough.  I live 5 minutes from our club, no reason not to go putt or hit balls at lunch when working from home.  I think next year I will do this more, and hopefully my 4 year old will tag along.

I feel ya.   It's even worse for me.  Working at a course, our range is less than 100 yards from my office and the putting green about half that distance.  But I was so focused on not abusing the chance to practice versus work,  probably went too far the other direction.   I am here most mornings by 7:30 and while I don't have posted hours, generally my work day doesn't have to start until 9:00 AM or so, but I'd get into my office and make the mistake of turning my laptop on, and then the day would go by.

I need to learn to go straight to the range or putting green for at least 30 minutes to an hour, then come to the office. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Here in NE Ohio, it's 4 months give or take. I played in November/December last year and again in April this year.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I too am in a location where there is no "winter" and we play all year round. My biggest regret this year was not taking a golf vacation as I had planned to this year. Chose work over vacation. We all need time off to recharge our batteries. Will definitely take one next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

One other big regret for the season.  Being slightly less than sober around 3am on the Wed night (technically Thurs AM) of a Wed-Sun guys golf trip and falling down and spraining my left thumb.  Hurt like hell and though I broke it for a little bit.  I played through it but it wasn't pretty and definitely hurt my game for a solid 6 weeks.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My other big regret is not playing my SLDR all year and spending so much time trying to replace it. At the end of the day it just flat out works for me and without some sort of drastic swing change I'm not going to do better with a different driver.

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477417032.390027.jpg

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If anything I regret working too much and not practicing my game near enough. I started the year out playing increasing better and better until about Mid-May. Then I played through about a 4 month slump and it was a whipping I'll tell you. But, during those four months I didn't make much attempt to correct it either. The weather has been nice since August when I started making some effort to get back to playing better. Guess what? A little practice works!

I play year round where I live and I'm thankful. However, I consider my official golf season over around Mid-November and restarting in late March. I don't enjoy playing dormant fairways all that much and the greens get too hard. Anyway... have a nice off season to you guys that are putting the clubs away.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

From mid October to late May is easily the best part of the golf season for me. Course condtions tend to be better, weather is cooler, more opprtunities to play also.

So it's not a season ending regret just a regret that I let my club membership lapse. Today reminded me of how much I enjoy the place.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

From mid October to late May is easily the best part of the golf season for me. Course condtions tend to be better, weather is cooler, more opprtunities to play also.

So it's not a season ending regret just a regret that I let my club membership lapse. Today reminded me of how much I enjoy the place.

I liked the course and the clubhouse and food was fantastic!  If I lived there I would likely be a member, if I could afford it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The company was that day too Kenny

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My regret is not reaching my goal of shooting under par this year. I got in a couple of 74's but that is as close as I got.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

It's year round here but I play most in summer. One it's darker later, the courses much more open and also cheaper. That being said, I'm disappointed that I didn't improve this summer and if anything regressed a bit from last year. the biggest problem has been my driving which has been in and out pretty much day to day. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived