Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Thoughts on Utility Irons

This came across the InBox this morning from Srixon/Cleveland - it's an interesting take on Utility Irons. We tend to think of them as driving irons, but Srixon appears to be taking a different approach - one similar to PING with its Crossover clubs and Hogan with its Ft. Worth 15 hi irons....

SRIXON UTILITY IRONS ARE DOMINATING ON THE PGA TOUR

Srixon was the most used brand of utility iron at the Safeway Open, with 10 in play. At the CIMB Classic, both Anirban Lahiri (T3) and Keegan Bradley (6) had a Srixon Z U45 utility iron in the bag (specs below). Our staffers and those outside our staff praise the Z U45 and Z U65 for their incredible feel coupled with phenomenal trajectory and distance control .

TECHNICAL NOTE: Our tour reps have found the most success with these clubs when building them as an extension of the iron set. Essentially, they are built to match the specs of the irons – same weight, same shaft, and in line with iron set length. They have seen this recipe work over and over. In building them to iron specs, you essentially create a club that gives you the benefits of a hybrid (easier to hit, easier to get up and land soft), but you have the consistency and predictability of an iron. 

The last thing a tour player wants with a club he uses to approach greens is a club that produces an unpredictable distance or trajectory.  When built to iron specs you get a club that players can flight up or down when needed, that goes the correct distance every time and is overall easier to hit than a long iron. All the while, because it is forged and cosmetically looks great address, it stays right in line with their iron sets from a look and feel standpoint.

These utility irons aren't your seasonal driving irons, either – once they go in play, they tend to stay there. Long hitters may manipulate the top of their bag depending on a course, but mostly they stay. It is very rare to find a hybrid or driving iron type club that is easy to hit on multiple trajectories, hit a consistent number, and not have a left bias (for right-handers). This club is all of these! Cool Fact: When Will McGirt and Jon Curran were in The Memorial playoff earlier this year, there were 4 Srixon Z U45 utilities in play!

Anirban Lahiri:

Srixon Z U45 3 utility iron, 20° (bent to 21°), with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X flex shaft

Keegan Bradley: 

Srixon Z U45 2 utility iron, 18° (bent to 19°), with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 125 X flex shaft

Srixon Z U45 3 utility iron, 20° (bent to 22°), with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 125 X flex shaft

Utility 1.jpg  utility 2.jpg

utility 4.jpg  Utility 31.jpg

These will definitely be on the table when we visit Srixon in November!!

Thoughts on the use of Utility irons?  Strictly a driving iron in your view or can these be a versatile alternative to hybrids, especially for those of us who can hook them off them planet?

For me, Utility Irons are always an acid test for how well I'm swinging at any given point in time. When I'm hitting them flush from the fairway or rough, I know my game's in good shape. When I'm not, well....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I used to have a u45 20 degree.  I loved hitting that that thing, but the truth was that it did not give me as much of a distance gap between after my 545 4 iron.  My 545 4 iron gives me a carry of around 207, while the U45 20* gave me a carry of around 215 - leaving me with a 30 yard gap to my 3 wood.  I moved back to a 19* hybrid, as it gives me about 224 carry, so it fills my gap between my 3-wood and 4 iron better.

I have been pondering a U45/U65 18* (2 iron) for quite some time.  I would love to see if it could fill that same gap.

The hybrid is always going to be easier to launch, and I can step on that hybrid to get about 230 carry off the tee.  The utility iron is hit or miss for me off the deck, but I love being able to flight it down off the tee.

Since I play in the North East and normally am not getting much roll out on my shots, carry is king.  However, I do sometime wish I had the 18* Utility iron in the bag for when I am playing shorter, tighter courses that require precision off the tee 

I love em. The more they resemble a player's iron the better as well. I'm not surprised that these are doing well on the tour. They look good and yet still over some added forgiveness and help to get the ball up in the air a little. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I am a huge fan and would agree when they are built as an extension of the iron set it seems to work better.  I have an Apex UT in my bag at the moment that is a drect replacement for a 4 iron and when I have my Hogans in the bag I play three of them that are replacements for 4, 5 and 6 iron.  Admittedly the six iron is not really needed, but the ability to hit it a bit higher than the standard Ft. Worth 15 is a huge advantage at my home club on the par 5's and long par 4's.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I'm still a hybrid guy.  The longest iron in my bag is a 6i so going to a utility iron is the opposite of the direction my bag has gone over the past 3 seasons.  

Would I like to have a 2 iron stinger in my back pocket?  Absolutely, but at the end of the day it's going to cost me more strokes than it saves me so I'll stick with the hybrids.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

... The DI might be the most important club in my bag. I have played the Adams DHY, Wilson FG Tour, Exotics Tungsten CB, TM UDi, Srixon U45 and finally settled on the adjustable King Utility. They all had pro's and con's until the King Utility that I can hit from the tee or fairway with complete confidence (my second favorite was the Srixon U45 and would play it without reservation). I play Recoil 95's in my irons so the Rogue Black 85 hy shaft gives me similar performance and feel.

... Off the tee it is as long as my 19* hybrid but is more accurate. A little shorter from the fairway. Granted part of that equation is I have complete confidence in the King and swing freely. Anecdotal ... but my very first swing with the King Utility went close to 300 yds. Probably carried it around 230 on a nice mid high trajectory with a slight tailwind and it hit a concrete yard plate bouncing about 15 feet in the air and rolling to the fringe of a 307 yd par 4. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

You seen what I play. Maltby hybrid/utility iron, I love the look and they just simply work for me better than the Bafflers that I had.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I like having them as an option. I myself went to a more forgiving 3i instead of the hybrid because I was able to control it. I've thought bout going to a driving iron with a lighter or graphite shaft but haven't found one I'm willing to take the plunge with.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

When you're "dominating" with 10 in play......... Bradley with 2 of them.

Driving/utility irons are fun, but too many players with not enough skills have them in their bags. Not talking about Keegan :D but average amateurs.

If you're struggling with your 4i and 5i, chances are you'll have a tough time with that forged, beautiful 2i :)

From the perspective of a very average amateur:

I have the Ping Crossover 5 and am quite happy with it. I only started playing a few years ago and longest iron ever had swung was a 5; while shots with a 6 were 50-50 but .. have improved dramatically as of late. (Yea!)

But I didn't like the higher-lofted hybrids and it seemed the only other choice was a "better player" (small profile) hybrid which I'd, umm, 'assumed' were not for me.

So when I saw the Crossover I jumped on it.

Now, tho, am intrigued by the new design utility irons - if there is a suitable "GI" style would consider a 5i replacement (and then maybe exchange the 5 Crossover for a 4 Crossover).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I think utilities are really helpful but I don't know that the average recreational player can benefit from them like they can with some hybrids or even high lofted fairway woods so I don't know if they'll ever be a big presence in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm a fan of some. I was chosen to test the Ping Crossover, but I could not stand that club. Now I have the Wilson V4 2I and I love it. It is great can use it off the tee on off the deck ball flight is exactly what I want long and straight. If i need to find a fairway this has become my go to club. Plus it is long and sounds great. I also really like the Ping Rapture, but this one is a bit easier to hit.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I'm a high handicapper and I used to carry a utility iron. I hit it decent. The big benefit it had was getting out from underneath low lying trees. Choke up on the grip and put the ball towards the back of your stance. I could get it out with some good yardage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I play the Wilson V4 21* utility and I love that thing! It throws the ball straight up in the air and it's easier to hit than a normal 3 iron. It's definitely not the club for everyone but I hate hybrids and I'm not good enough to hit a 3 iron so it's a good fit for me.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Would really like to see how it stacks up to the mp h5 I am using, the sole didn't get along with the harder fairways during the summer.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Would really like to see how it stacks up to the mp h5 I am using, the sole didn't get along with the harder fairways during the summer.

That's the only thing I've had any issues with as well. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I've got an V4 utility from Wilson as my 3 iron now and I like it a lot. I don't get to play much anymore so the little bit of forgiveness helps. I can work it and it feels solid. I will never ditch the long irons because I love the feel of puring one. I hit the srixon from last year and it felt good, but it wasn't the longest thing out there. The ball speeds and smash off the Ping crossover were stupid. Those things go a mile. I love the looks of the 712U and the TMB from titleist but I could never get those things up off the turf.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

The Srixon utility irons look really sharp, unfortunately in recent years I've gone to a 3 and 4 hybrid, had difficulties in getting long irons to stay up in the air long enough to make a difference. But, maybe I could try a utility iron to feel a gap between my 3 wood and 3 hybrid or should go with a 5 wood...I do hit low stingers well...decisions, decisions...

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

The Srixon utility irons look really sharp, unfortunately in recent years I've gone to a 3 and 4 hybrid, had difficulties in getting long irons to stay up in the air long enough to make a difference. But, maybe I could try a utility iron to feel a gap between my 3 wood and 3 hybrid or should go with a 5 wood...I do hit low stingers well...decisions, decisions...

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

This probably won't help, but early in the season I bought a 7 wood for cheap and it flies exceptionally well. I just wanted to try it plus it's a Callaway. And now I'm glad I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Started gaming a 23* Srixon U45 towards the end of the summer to replace my F6 4/5 irons. Its a great club and I would recommend giving it a try as its only around $100 right now.

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Archived