TESTERS WANTED! ×

Baseball and golf similarities

Lonnie96

Watching my Indians struggle tonight isn't fun.But watching batters on both sides and see so many similarities to golf.The steep backswing to a shallow approach into the strike.Pivot leading the show.Very similar info that I was taught a few years back and still do.Anyone study baseball to improve their golf swings?Even the YouTube baseball instructors have some excellent gems that may help us.Infact I learned more from some of their videos than I do most golf instructional videos

Thoughts?

Baseball and golf both use an implement to strike a ball. That's about where the similarities end.

You could apply the same theory to tennis, pool, hockey or whatever, but the basic principle of any sport is to practice the discipline in question to be proficient, rather than use the fundamentals of another to draw a conclusion with little or no relevance. Opinions may vary of course.

Well I played baseball up to my junior year in college when unchecked mono cost me the season. :(

Most shots that I hit in golf would be home runs in baseball. Very few hits that I hit in baseball would be worth anything in golf.

Seriously there are some similarities in regards to the swing but it's dangerous to go one for one. Fred Couples and Tommy Gainey are examples of golfers with extensive (minor league) baseball experience. Even though Freddie's tempo is beautiful neither has a swing that one would ever teach or copy.

Generally speaking the best golfing baseball players are starting pitchers.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My baseball/softball swing was responsible for my humongous slice when I took up golf.  I had to unlearn that swing or I was going to quit the game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My baseball/softball swing was responsible for my humongous slice when I took up golf. I had to unlearn that swing or I was going to quit the game.

Interesting my swing has always produce a book but when I played pulling the ball was all the rage. I was taught to clear my hips pronto with my baseball swing.

I've struggled with being too quick throughout my golfing career.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My baseball/softball swing was responsible for my humongous slice when I took up golf.  I had to unlearn that swing or I was going to quit the game.

Main reason that I play golf right handed is that I hit from the left side playing baseball. 

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Both are games where failure is celebrated and games where missing small is key. 

Maybe I love both because I'm a glutton for punishment lol 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

One big difference b/w golf and baseball:

Picked up a tip the other day, from an old book by Julius Boros, that was a "light bulb moment" for me...

* Keep your trail arm elbow down in the backswing

I see a lot of great golfers do this, vs. I see a lot of baseball hitters raise their trail arm elbow.

(And in golf that can cause a slice.....)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Baseball and golf both use an implement to strike a ball.

Did you mean...

"Implement ill-suited to the task"...?

(to paraphrase Sir Winston Churchill)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Picked up a tip the other day, from an old book by Julius Boros, that was a "light bulb moment" for me...

I see a lot of great golfers do this, vs. I see a lot of baseball hitters raise their trail arm elbow.

opposite for me.. I have to feel like I'm hitting a low down and out pitch thru the ball.But when I do the result will be the prettiest push draw you have ever witnessed.Kinda like a Lee Trevino feel with body open and upper body low and over it.Wish I could show you how baseball it looks

Results will be bam - boom - smile

That's actually a very common misconception for many people as well. Back elbow down is correct for baseball as well as golf. 

I always hear people telling their kids during a little league game or something to "keep that back elbow up." The reality is that most kids would do better if the back elbow is lower in their stance because there is less wasted movement. 

Of course you may see pro hitters have a high back elbow in their batting stance but the second that he pitch starts to come the back elbow drops and as they throw their hands at the ball. 

See this video of Pujols, elbow starts high and drops into place. 

That's actually a very common misconception for many people as well. Back elbow down is correct for baseball as well as golf. 

I always hear people telling their kids during a little league game or something to "keep that back elbow up." The reality is that most kids would do better if the back elbow is lower in their stance because there is less wasted movement. 

Of course you may see pro hitters have a high back elbow in their batting stance but the second that he pitch starts to come the back elbow drops and as they throw their hands at the ball. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye18rV5chnY

nice..I guess I'm different.Love to let that right elbow get high.Feels so so powerful.When I see elbows in front I see an over connected short hitter of the ball.Play with plenty of them.To them this is the term connection.For me their definition and feel means short

You're right when you say pitchers typically are the best Gail don't baseball players. They know how to properly use the ground to gain power through the lower body.

As a hitter I see TONS of similarities in both golf and baseball swings. Elbow dropping into the proper position on the downswing is synonymous with the beginning of the baseball swing bat needs to meet the ball level or on a slight upwards swing.

I LOVE this topic and love seeing the similarities between the swings. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

nice..I guess I'm different.Love to let that right elbow get high.Feels so so powerful.When I see elbows in front I see an over connected short hitter of the ball.Play with plenty of them.To them this is the term connection.For me their definition and feel means short

Obviously you can keep your hands wherever in your stance. But eventually it will have to drop when you start the swing. Both golf and baseball will have elbow in at impact. Assuming someone isn't flailing at a breaking ball in the dirt or something way outside anyway.

I've tried it every which way over the years. Hands high, low, elbow up, or down. When I settled in to "my stance" in college I was somewhere in the middle. Prolly a little high if anything, similar to yourself.

That guy played in a US Open in golf and tennis. Do you think he was an athlete? I grew up playing on his home course. I hated him then. I love him now. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That guy played in a US Open in golf and tennis. Do you think he was an athlete? I grew up playing on his home course. I hated him then. I love him now. :)

Small world man. Buddy of mine who still plays pro baseball has gotten into golf and has been blowing me up recently.

The dude has the makings of a MAJOR club ho. Haha

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Look an athlete is an athlete. If I'm a baseball player and I am there will always be a trace of it in my swing. I would not advocate it for a golf swing. It leads to issues in the golf swing and with the back.

I'm in full agreement with undershooter. Both sports are impossibly difficult. Both sports are great.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's a very good thread. I've often thought about and dealt with the parallels between the two sports. I wish that we had a hockey player to weigh in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's a very good thread. I've often thought about and dealt with the parallels between the two sports. I wish that we had a hockey player to weigh in.

Chubbs:  "Golf's no different from Hockey.  It requires talent and self discipline."

Happy Gilmore:   "Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

opposite for me.. I have to feel like I'm hitting a low down and out pitch thru the ball.But when I do the result will be the prettiest push draw you have ever witnessed.Kinda like a Lee Trevino feel with body open and upper body low and over it.Wish I could show you how baseball it looks

Results will be bam - boom - smile

Interesting! But.. whatever works! 'Cause it's not "How?" -- it's "How Many?" :-)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Very cool - thanks for the clarification!

(man that guy can smack the ball!!!)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I would actually say it's more softball swing than baseball swing, mainly because of the speed at which you are swinging. In baseball the power is supplied by the ball. In golf and softball the power is supplied by the person. In each, being efficient to the ball is important. For me I think that the thought process can be similar as well, if I want to pull the ball in ball or golf the thought is I have to turn it over, I have to turn my left hand over my right (LH) or I can't pull it. The same is true for hitting to right field, or holding it off for a golf term, if I want to hold it off I cannot let my left hand turn over my right, I must hold it off. If you try to hit a ball to right field and turn over your ha ss it will likely be a soft 4 hopper to short stop or second base. The thought is the same, but those thoughts of what I want to do must happen before I step up to the ball. This probably makes no sense.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Interesting! But.. whatever works! 'Cause it's not "How?" -- it's "How Many?" :-)

When it comes to our amateur game.Our swings and feels can be so odd.Honestly most of is can never match or compare ourselves to pro swings.We just adapt and do whatever we can to get the ball in the hole. Ugly or not

We play a completely different game

@hckymeyer get in here lol 

As much as it pains me to contradict the ppower is supplied by the person in baseball. Longest home runs and highest exit velocities are almost always off of off speed pitches, it's one of those cases where the actual numbers have contradicted conventional wisdom.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

As much as it pains me to contradict the ppower is supplied by the person in baseball. Longest home runs and highest exit velocities are almost always off of off speed pitches, it's one of those cases where the actual numbers have contradicted conventional wisdom.

Plus you don't see many 150lb dudes hitting 450 foot shots!

The dunk in basketball is amazing. But let's be honest, go to any high school gym or city play ground and there are people there who can do it. Not so the 400 ft HR. Very few people are capable of squaring up a baseball with enough bat speed to hit a regulation ball with a wooden bat 400 ft.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived