TESTERS WANTED! ×

SURVEY: How has MyGolfSpy influenced your game?

GolfSpy Barbajo

1. Purchased TaylorMade M2 driver and rescue.

2.I enjoy reading topics and reviews from golfers with similar handicaps. (we're not all low single digits!)

3.To soon to tell, getting a little more distance.

4.Yes.Never been much of a driving range guy. Took the new clubs to the range prior to playing, nice tune up, I feel helped. Gone to the range last two rounds and see improvement in that part of the game. (then another part goes south!)

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?  (Please list which ones.)

- I wouldn't say it was strictly just my golf spy reviews but they did play a portion of my decision. King Cobra LTD Pro Irons MB/CB

2. How has MyGolfSpy changed the way you think about golf equipment?

- Always get more than one review/opinion and always try stuff for yourself

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.)

- I don't think it was all the equipment, but i'm sure it played a role.

4. How have these purchases helped you enjoy the game more? How?

- Personally just really like the cobra irons and probably gave my irons shots a tighter dispersion and helping to shoot better.

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?  (Please list which ones.)

TM M1 driver, Snell MTB, EVNRoll putter

2. How has MyGolfSpy changed the way you think about golf equipment?

A company has a marketing department for a reason, their job is to convince potential customers to purchase their products.  As golfers, we are a particularly gullible group (myself included) and the marketers know this.  Your continued testing of products and comparing the results to the marketing claims are invaluable to those of us who don't have the time and/or resources to do our own testing of multiple products in multiple categories.   My lists for what products to consider gets pared down significantly based on what I read on MGS and my experiences have mirrored your findings.

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.)

Yes.  The TM M1 added yards to my drives, even more so when I put both weights into the back slot after reading the article here, shorter irons into the greens which leads to approach shots closer to the hole.  And then I put the EVNRoll putter in my bag after reading the review here and am making more putts than I have in years.  As a single digit handicap, I can objectively claim that the better drives and better putting have taken 3 shots off my typical score over the last 2 months.  I cannot claim that the Snell MTB has lowered my scores, but it's a better ball and half the price of what I was playing before (ProV1x) and I am a complete convert to the Snell ball.

This is a loaded question.....of course I enjoy the game more, I'm playing better!

donor-1-year.gif

What's in the bag:

Driver - Rogue

Woods - Titleist 917F 16.5 degree

Hybrid - Titleist 915H

Irons - Ping i200

Wedges - 56 Vokey, 60 PXG

Putter - EVNRoll ER9  10K

Ball - Snell My Tour Ball

Questions:

I'm sure I have, the driver reviews/comparisons are always relevant in terms of narrowing down which ones to try. 

It is really just exposure to different offerings... for example, I don't think I would have even tried Cobra if I hadn't been reading about some of their stuff on this site

Hard to say, my hcp/avg score has gone down every year for the past 6 or 7 years, but I've also been playing a lot more golf

I really like trying stuff out, both in demo days and just club ho-ing in general. I enjoy reading others' thoughts on a particular product and comparing my own experiences with them.

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews? (Please list which ones.)

~~Yes, when I was a newbie about 3 1/2 years ago I was looking for some irons that would improve my golf swing at the time as well as take me to a higher level of proficiency in the future. I chose Cobra S3 irons.

~~A lot of the equipment manufacturers, (I'm referring to golf clubs) essentially produce similar products with slight variations as to 'bells & whistles' each year. In rare cases, there will be a breakthrough innovation.

~~ With the same Cobra S3 irons I still own I've gone from a total hacker to an 8 handicap. Although I have switched drivers from a Ping G30 regular flex => TaylorMade Aero Burner (driver/fairway wood) stiff flex.

~~ I've been able to play most par 5 holes and get to the green in two shots.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1. Yes I have purchased many products.  (Snell golf balls, MG golf gloves, Titleist 915 Driver, Bushnell GPS watch, to name a few). 

2. Yes MGS has, its not always what the pro's are playing that is best for you.  MGS does a great job of telling you what is good for your game.

3.  I don't know if they have lowered my scores.  My handicap has been between +1.4 & +2.2 over the last year and a half.  I think my scores reflect how often or less often I get to play.

4. Yes they have.  I love my gps watch and my Titleist driver will be very hard to replace. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

1. No i have not

2. This app and the articles on it have really changed how much research goes into companies, club types I'm looking to purchase.

3. I did purchase a cnc milled putter from a retailer (not reviewed here) but met the requirements of what i wanted in a putter after research here, and other places. It eliminated three putts for me because of the feel of the putter and consistent distances i can get longer putts close everytime to two putt.

4. Obviously playing better and more consistently is every golfers goal and its enjoyable to know what is going to happen when i hit a club this hard oie this soft everytime

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I'm going to be an elite custom club maker in our area.Asked some great questions since I'm slightly new on here.All my questions were answered and learned some valuable info.Looking to getting my new business rolling in a month.And hopefully my work will be noticed and I might go nation wide or maybe global

1)  Have used MyGolfSpy reviews as a significant reference point.  Purchases resulting from products reviewed include Cobra Fly-z Drive, Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour Driver, EX9 Fairway Woods and Hybrids, TEE CB Pro Tungsten Irons, Cleveland RTX3 Wedges.  Snell Golf Balls.  Driver still the weak spot, but irons are super, RTX wedges the best I've ever played and Snell balls are excellent performers, affordable and from a terrific, customer-focused company.

2)  Has prompted me to be more analytical and research purchases more thoroughly.  Directing my purchases to what is best for my game - especially as I age - and not what professionals and 'everybody else' is using. 

3)  Scores are trending lower.  Still several swing and course management issues to deal with, but the equipment performance is definitely improved over that which it replaced.

4)  Always enjoy the game, but the new equipment makes it more rewarding as the equipment is easier to play (well).

1.have purchased the ping ketsch based on your reviews and found the driver for me based on a article from your site

2.I like that you do independent tests not based on ad dollars

3.hard to say whether the equipment has lowered my scores. 

4.have been driving it better so that helps with the enjoyment.

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie)taylormade rsi 1 7 iron through aw, vokey sm5 54 and vokey sm4 58 standard length and lie

b. Driver specs (loft/flex)taylormade m2 reg flex fujikura pro 70 shaft out of m1 3 wood

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed)right

d. Where You Live waterloo iowa

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score 15 hdcp

Good morning,

I purchased a Taylormade Jetspeed Wood set (driver, #5 and fairway) due to the reviews of the post Taylor made models. As I couldnt afford a current series set I went to several golf stores which sold "as new condition" drivers and irons and went through the previous series of Taylor made drivers. For the price, previous reviews (on other sites) and quality I settled with the jetspeed.

I believe the reviews enabled me to think outside the square and to consider the clubs I was using. I am now researching golf balls and their characteristics to see if I can improve my game even further.

As my previous driver was around 20 years old and an actual "wood" my driving game has improved significantly. These clubs have dropped around 10 shots off my handicap. It kinda helps when you arent constantly slicing every T shot into the bushes.

The right equipment certainly helped my game as standard shots go from "why cant I hit the bloody ball straight, it doesnt look that hard" to "mate, that was a nice straight shot in the middle of the fairway".

This is obviously where the game goes from frustration to enjoyable.

I have never bought a club, ball, glove, hat, shirt or any other item because some pro is using or playing it. I am an amateur. What a pro uses is totally irrelevant to me or my game. I do not delude myself into thinking I can swing the same way, hit the same distance or play the same game. As far as clothing goes, who cares what someone is given to wear or "designs" for himself as self promotion.  

As far as My Golf Spy reviews, I find them tainted and thinly disguised shilling for some company or friend of the editor. Although some advice is relevant and often preached elsewhere (i.e. club fitting), I don't really find anything original. The "tests" are really not relevant to the vast majority of readers being based on such a small sample each time. Rarely is there a significant difference discovered or unveiled by the tests. There really aren't any truly unbiased recommendations that are applicable to any particular golfer. There are generalizations which are valid in themselves but not sufficiently applicable to influence my purchasing decisions. The only true mantra is "try before you buy". Each golfer is unique. With the best of intentions, the My Golf Spy tests are indicators at best.

I have yet to purchase anything that I have read about on MyGolfSpy.

I did have the pleasure to review a Forward putter grip that I do like. Plans to purchase one as soon as I find my new putter to put it on. The one I have now is slowly improving my putting as I get more use to it.

I also plan to purchase some Kirkland Signature golf balls. I don't think these will better my game except make it more fun knowing I'm not paying a fortune on golf equipment on a game I love to play.

MyGolfSpy has been a big influence in my game. You can learn all things golf here.

I Learn It, I Teach It, I Live It.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Guests
Guest Tom Duckworth
1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?

Yes I bought my Wilson FG Tour V2 irons after reading your review and testing them as well. Mizuno MP T5 wedges

I have learned very much from your sight about gear it has made me more thoughtfull about whats in my bag.

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores?

MP wedges have knocked off 2 to 4 strokes per round

4. How have these purchases helped you enjoy the game more?

Yes better gear makes you play better and that's whats it is all about anyway.

​Yes, I purchased the M2 driver right after your report came out. I have also purchased both the evnroll putter and the odyssey blade #1 based on your testing. I like putters! I have a completely mixed bag and I value unbiased testing that truly tests performance.

It's opened my eyes to more of what is out there. I am a golf junkie but even when I buy things it is based on performance not just because a company is #1 in marketing dollars. 

Driver and putter reviews have definitely lowered my scores. 

4. How have these purchases helped you enjoy the game more?

I wouldn't say I love more golf any more than I already do. I absolutely love hitting the ball long and straight and the 2016 driver testing results have been great for my game. I am looking forward to the 2017 m1 review. 

Yes, Odyssey blade putter, Cobra Fly Z driver,

I do look at data more now and am a lot less influenced by pure marketing

The FLy Z has, the Putter did not. It was too heavy even for a blade. I could never get the feel down.

I've found my enjoyment of the game is directly proportional to my scoring... :-)

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

A. Yes, a few. I have purchased the tour striker, the Putter Wheel, and picked up golf balls

Nothing really. But it has given me a voice I trust more than the manufactures ads

I think the putter wheel has definitely helped. The tour striker is new to me but in my practice sessions gave excellent feedback.

If I play more confidently, I enjoy it more

>>>>>

This is kind of important, so give this some thought and let us know what you think.

Here we go:

Questions:

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews? (Please list which ones.)

Yes, Ping G30 driver, Ping Ketsch Putter, and Snell MTB

Yes - I'm certainly much better informed and enabled to make better decisions.

Ping G30 and Ketsch putter - most of my improvement is from lessons, practice and playing more, but equipment better suited to my game has certainly helped.

They have put me in a position to experience more success and consistency.

Thanks guys - looking forward to your input!

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

1 Snell golf balls, Carnahan putters

2 I now consider may other options to equipment.

3 My game is a little stagnant due to lack of play and practice.

4 I enjoy trying new things and seeing how it helps my game. Plus I am a putter ***** so I have learned about many putters that I need to add to the collection.

Yes for many years I have used your references to purchase clubs

You seem to love Cobra - I bought the F6 Irons this year and you recommended The Taylormade M1 driver

which I also purchased.

Yes - you can influence purchasing - I love data and stats - there is a science behind the technology for every club

You help bring that info to the common guy.

I went from a 12.2 to a 9.1 handicap - believe the Taylor M 1 when its behaving is a game changer

I serious gained up to 30 yards over my  Callaway X HOT driver.

When you score better you enjoy the game more - I seriously need to improve my wedge game in 2017 to take my handicap to the next level.

Nothing at this point in time, I do read the new product releases as well as leaked information but I tend to visit lots of sites to get reviews and then from there I would have 3 or so clubs for that category (irons) and try them out and see what my numbers are. 

that we don't always get to see the tour stuff at the consumer level

N/A

N/A

>>>>>

This is kind of important, so give this some thought and let us know what you think.

Here we go:

Questions:

Thanks guys - looking forward to your input!

Sorry, I've been away for a few days and didn't want to answer this on my phone, as I wanted to take time to answer it.

1) Actually I pretty much turned my bag over by mid summer, before joining MyGolfSpy. So not too much of a chance to be influenced by the reviews of the clubs I bought. 

2) It has made me more aware of the technology that goes into a a lot of the clubs.  A lot of times  from the manufacturer you just get the benefits, with MGS you get a lot of explanation on the how and why of the technology, from an unbiased source. 

3) The purchases I made earlier in year have definitely lowered my scores, from a 26 HC at the beginning of the year to a current 18.3.   Most responsible are the Titleist 816 H1 hybrids.  They are the easiest clubs I have ever hit in just getting the ball up in the air and going straight.  They have helped me reach or get very close to the green on some long par 4's that I didn't have a chance to before.

The other clubs are the SM6 wedges,  I was over due for new wedges as the grooves on my previous 588 DSG were worn out.  These happened to be the first ones I tried and from the start I was very confident that I could hit any short game short with them, from flops over a bunker to nice chips off a hardpan greenside lie. 

4) Kind of ties into the above answer, shooting socres in the 90's as opposed to the 100's is much more fun :)   Also being able to hit short game shots that save pars or bogeys from bogey's and doubles, is really something I've taken pride in. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Questions:

1. Have you purchased any golf products based on MyGolfSpy reviews?  (Please list which ones.) Absolutely , I wouldn't consider buying anything without visiting MGS.  Too many clubs to list, but the articles, reviews and tests influenced me to purchase all of my Adams XTD Irons, Woods & Hybrids.

​It changed my perception of the industry tremendously. I've learned a lot about equipment design, quality and technology mainly due to the unbiased approach to testing and numerical data.  Numbers don't lie. Buying golf equipment is like buying a companies stock off Wall Street. For example, if you buy a stock based on all the hype or talk you see on the airwaves or in print....you'll likely end up disappointed having fallen into the media and marketing trap. MGS provides a way to cut through the "white noise" and equips the potential golf equipment buyer an opportunity to truly know what they are investing in.

3. Have these purchases lowered your scores? (List which products and how much they have lowered your scores.) Yes. Having equipment that best fits my game and minimizes my faults is critical in the overall "fitting" process.  The information provided on MGS benefits everyone, but the information combined with a hands-on professional fitting is priceless. Once you can begin to understand what you need, then you can better make a decision on the right equipment for your game. When that time comes, you need to understand (without bias) how the equipment performs or its overall characteristics. I knew my specs before purchasing my Adams clubs and bought the clubs knowing that they would provide the balance of performance and quality I was looking for.

​Yes. Having the properly fit equipment will change anyone's game.  I know that MGS promotes getting properly fit for equipment no matter how good a certain club performs on tests. The combination of being fitted and having confidence in your equipment is critical in lowering scores. I dropped ten points within a season after being fit for irons. Once I knew my specs I could have equipment built or purchased based on my personal mechanics and preference. The only way to have confidence in your equipment is to be knowledgeable about what you are buying. If you understand it in more detail you'll likely "trust" it when your out on the course.  When you stand over a ball knowing you have the absolute best chance at a good strike or stroke you can start playing more "natural" golf not having to overthink and focus more on strategy (course management).  The end result in all of this is going to be lower scores. Of course, once you've made this commitment to your game, you eliminate the "it's the clubs fault excuse"!  :) 

Yes, After seeing reviews on the Titleist 915 drivers, I went out and tested the D2 & D3.

After playing them both on the course, I went with the 915D3 and I am still gaming it.

I don't buy on popularity anymore. I used to be a big TaylorMade fan, but now I don't own a single TM club. I am purely judging clubs on their performance and not false ads.

I have seen a steady decrease in my scores and my handicap after replacing all the clubs in my bag over the past year and a half. I finally have clubs that work for me and my swing.

I spend a lot more time in the fairway and on the greens. I don't lose as many golf balls on bad hits and I make a lot more birdies than I used to. I have made it to a single digit handicap and I am always pushing myself to go lower!

Thank you for all your work to provide unbiased reviews and data on golf equipment.

:titelist-small: Pro V1
Srixon Z565 9* Miyazaki Mizore Stiff
:titelist-small: 915Fd  15* Diamana D+ 80g Stiff
:titelist-small:  718 T-MB 2 iron Kuro Kage 85g Stiff
:ping-small: i E1 4-9 Iron Dynamic Gold S300
:vokey-small:   SM7 46*,54* & 58*
:scotty-small: Select Newport 2, Matador Grip 

@justin_scheve

Questions:

Based solely on a review, No. As a tool to make my final decision, Every Single Time. 

2. How has MyGolfSpy changed the way you think about golfequipment?

It has given me the tools to cut through the hype and look at facts. I am not as eager to drop down $500 for the latest driver for 3 extra yards. I do buy new clubs often, but I am fine with waiting a year and getting it 50% off.

No way to know for sure. My handicap hasn't changed in years despite being older and having a slower swing speed.

Yes. Two specific things come to mind. #1 If a club feels good and looks good but doesn't perform, I am not so fast to dump it for a new one. I now look at the details of how it fits my swing and perhaps a simple shaft change or adjustment is all I need. #2 Using technology like GPS and Range Finders makes the game quicker and easier.

I have purchased several products based on your testing and reviews. M2 three wood and am considering a EVNroll putter to name a few.

Not sure about lowering scores, but getting more satisfaction out of my game.

Defiantly getting more enjoyment out my game. I'm looking forward to the near future.

thanks for your work!

Yes, and after side by side testing.

Cobra Fly Z+

Ping Ketsch Heavy

Yes, really appreciate the unbiased testing. Would love to see some video content of tests like Mark Crossfield and Rick Shiels do on YouTube

No, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Yes and no. Cobra was not really on my radar before the test. My first adjustable driver, has taken me 12 months to get it set up right. I have since put bio cell+ 3w and 5w in my bag and a bio cell hybrid. Love the look and feel of the more compact head. Bought them used; great bargain if you can find them.

My biggest frustration is buying a new driver for $400 and have the price be slashed almost in half when a new model comes out 3 weeks later.

Will be seriously looking at King forged or King F7 one length irons as I have been experimenting with the Value Golf Pinhawk SL irons all year. Love the shorter length 5 and 6 iron. The longer PW & GW are a work in progress. I did go back to standard length PW & GW for several months, but have now switched back to the single length.

Snell MTB.  That's about it.  I see more of it in the future becase as I read the reviews, it kind of puts information in my head that I will use in purchasing decisions.  There's usually a couple year lag, though as I rarely buy equipment before its a couple years old and discounted with the exception of balls.  I use too many to wait that long.

I'm more prone to trying things I would not have before.  I almost always have purchased based on what fits my eye and is similar to what I have but a step forward.  Now I will widen the field to things I have read about on here.

Very hard to quantify.  My gut reaction is that being more informed has helped me to play better.  How much better is anyone's guess.  Knowing more about the equipment not only makes for better purchases, it also helps to save some money and be more confident.  So, I'm not sure that quantifying it in strokes does the benefits justice.

Yes, see above.  More knowledge = more fun.  Less spend (Snell, I am looking at you) for equal or better performance = fun. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed