GolfSpy Barbajo

Driver Vs. Driver - Which Do You Like?

Have you guys been watching? It's starting to get interesting now that they've weeded out some of the weaker entries.  They've posted some of the "commercials" the remaining contestants have put together to tout their ideas.  See anything here you'd game?

I think I'm too old for this stuff... fins, detachable parts, movable weights. I was hoping that they would have at least one option that was simple and sleek. Like the 8802 putter. For me, that would get a Wilson product back in my bag. They haven't been there since I wore out my fg17's in the early 90's.

Maybe I'm just too old, and the younger crowd loves this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I think the best part about this show is the "sneak peek" golfers get into the equipment building world. I have learned a ton about USGA requirements if nothing else, and a few other interesting tidbits along the way. There's obviously a lot of staged stuff and bad acting (the driving range "contest" was painful to watch). But it's fun and is at least a fresh idea. Great on Wilson to do it. 

Depending on what the winner looks like I'd like to at least test it.

The only really viable option at retail IMO is the Pivot. Especially for a Challenger brand in the golf space like Wilson.  

I watched all the commercials, and my wife remarked from the other room that she thought it was funny that I was in here yelling "NO" at my computer screen over and over again...

• Like 1

I think 3 of the entries could be interesting. I am interested to see which of the drivers that Streelman games. The show is a great concept and I think having some ideas that are not the standard regurgitation of the same ol same ol is awesome. I will go test the winner and see what I think

• Like 1

Love the show, I'm just not seeing a winner out of these but who am I? I would bet the winning driver ultimately looks different than what we are seeing in the videos.

• Like 1

The driver with the fins will never make it. Changing an entire sole plate doesn't seem viable for a lot of people. Maybe the one (I haven't watched the commercials in a while) with the three weight ports, kind of like the new Cobra, will finish in the top two.

... I am probably in the minority, but as an actor for 36 years I really dislike reality shows. They have forced some of my friends out of the business. That said, nothing here that looks interesting. Granted I like a traditional shape and prefer no graphics or alignment aids on the crown but can live with subtle. 

They're down to 3 teams now.  Gotta say, last night's episode was kind of exciting.  Thought the way they cut out the last two teams was a bit of a mindf**k, but it was dramatic!

Here's the recap:

The last three ideas standing are all pretty interesting. Michigan and Westin didn't make it, and I'm kinda shocked Team Long Beach is still in it - these guys can't present to save their lives, but there must be something to the design that Wilson likes.  From here on in, they're my odds on favorite...

Just looking at the MOI and FD Numbers that were presented on last nights show, I think that there is a pretty clear winner..  What remains to be seen is how the buying public will respond to a driver with a removable soleplate, and how easily that thing is to adjust.  

The name is just brutal..  The Pivot/Divot..    WRONG...

The Magnus looks exactly like the "Cayman" driver...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

None of them really intrigue me that much, honestly... Moveable weights, aerodynamics, etc, nothing here is really new or exciting.

Magnus, Vector and Triton in that order. That Magnus is sleek and sexy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The Magnus looks exactly like the "Cayman" driver...

Came here to say exactly that.

caiman_zps0x9cxe7x.jpg

XTM1006D_4_XL_zpsute65v8c.jpg

• Like 2

I think The Pivot has the best chance. But I am also intrigued by Sillies driver. 

My Pro Shop already has the display for the Winner.....and they will get several of them to sell.....so I'll be able to compare the winner to my Cobra King LTD.

• Like 2