TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Vs. Driver - Which Do You Like?

Have you guys been watching? It's starting to get interesting now that they've weeded out some of the weaker entries.  They've posted some of the "commercials" the remaining contestants have put together to tout their ideas.  See anything here you'd game?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think I'm too old for this stuff... fins, detachable parts, movable weights. I was hoping that they would have at least one option that was simple and sleek. Like the 8802 putter. For me, that would get a Wilson product back in my bag. They haven't been there since I wore out my fg17's in the early 90's.

Maybe I'm just too old, and the younger crowd loves this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think the best part about this show is the "sneak peek" golfers get into the equipment building world. I have learned a ton about USGA requirements if nothing else, and a few other interesting tidbits along the way. There's obviously a lot of staged stuff and bad acting (the driving range "contest" was painful to watch). But it's fun and is at least a fresh idea. Great on Wilson to do it. 

Depending on what the winner looks like I'd like to at least test it.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

The only really viable option at retail IMO is the Pivot. Especially for a Challenger brand in the golf space like Wilson.  

I watched all the commercials, and my wife remarked from the other room that she thought it was funny that I was in here yelling "NO" at my computer screen over and over again...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I think 3 of the entries could be interesting. I am interested to see which of the drivers that Streelman games. The show is a great concept and I think having some ideas that are not the standard regurgitation of the same ol same ol is awesome. I will go test the winner and see what I think

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

The driver with the fins will never make it. Changing an entire sole plate doesn't seem viable for a lot of people. Maybe the one (I haven't watched the commercials in a while) with the three weight ports, kind of like the new Cobra, will finish in the top two.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I think the Triton, Fulcrum  & Vector have a chance.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

... I am probably in the minority, but as an actor for 36 years I really dislike reality shows. They have forced some of my friends out of the business. That said, nothing here that looks interesting. Granted I like a traditional shape and prefer no graphics or alignment aids on the crown but can live with subtle. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

They're down to 3 teams now.  Gotta say, last night's episode was kind of exciting.  Thought the way they cut out the last two teams was a bit of a mindf**k, but it was dramatic!

Here's the recap:

The last three ideas standing are all pretty interesting. Michigan and Westin didn't make it, and I'm kinda shocked Team Long Beach is still in it - these guys can't present to save their lives, but there must be something to the design that Wilson likes.  From here on in, they're my odds on favorite...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Just looking at the MOI and FD Numbers that were presented on last nights show, I think that there is a pretty clear winner..  What remains to be seen is how the buying public will respond to a driver with a removable soleplate, and how easily that thing is to adjust.  

The name is just brutal..  The Pivot/Divot..    WRONG...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The Magnus looks exactly like the "Cayman" driver...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

None of them really intrigue me that much, honestly... Moveable weights, aerodynamics, etc, nothing here is really new or exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnus, Vector and Triton in that order. That Magnus is sleek and sexy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 13 Degree
3 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 15 Degree
5 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 18 Degree
4th:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 22 Degree
5-P  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4
Gap:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Sand:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Lob:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Putter: Directed Force "Reno" Putter

I think The Pivot has the best chance. But I am also intrigued by Sillies driver. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My Pro Shop already has the display for the Winner.....and they will get several of them to sell.....so I'll be able to compare the winner to my Cobra King LTD.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I really hoped this show would be more about designing and building the clubs than it has been.  Reminds me of 80's cartoon shows where it's basically just a 30 or 60 minute commercial.

I really wanted them to get more into the design and show how moving certain aspects affected the weight, moi, CG etc instead of just saying we went through 3 revisions and here is the data from each one.

Tonight shows the first usable prototypes, I really hope they actually show the manufacturing process instead of a 30 second clip and then showing the final product.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I agree with hckymeyer.  I was hoping to see usga conformity issues, mfg difficulties and patent infringement issues on these models.  All we get are the tiny little presentations....

My Pro Shop already has the display for the Winner.....and they will get several of them to sell.....so I'll be able to compare the winner to my Cobra King LTD.

We have been told by Wilson as an authorized account, we can have the club in our shop the day after the winner is announced if we'd like.  I may have the Pro order one, and promise himif it doesn't sell I'll buy it.   if for nothing else the novelty of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my store today and the same thing. He has 6 of them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• SPY VIP

Really I question if the show and any future marketing materials will be enough to get people to actually try this. Will this improve their floor placement in retail outlets? We'll people actually go into stores looking for them. Will they get tried at all over the current leading brands in this space?

I love trying everything and anything I can get my hands on, but has Wilson done enough to attract Joe public? With Wilson's track record as a tier 2 brand the past decade and their "Walmart" stigma, I fear it's a lot of hoopla for something that'll be on RockBottom in a couple months... I hope not, but...

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Really I question if the show and any future marketing materials will be enough to get people to actually try this. Will this improve their floor placement in retail outlets? We'll people actually go into stores looking for them. Will they get tried at all over the current leading brands in this space?

I love trying everything and anything I can get my hands on, but has Wilson done enough to attract Joe public? With Wilson's track record as a tier 2 brand the past decade and their "Walmart" stigma, I fear it's a lot of hoopla for something that'll be on RockBottom in a couple months... I hope not, but...

I think there is a lot of truth in this. Like you I hope it's not the case. But I just don't think the show caught on with the average golfer. I have spoken to several golfers every day at our course and none of them have seen the show.

A few saw the commercials but said they had no interest in trying anything Wilson other than baseball gloves. I'm afraid this is the battle they will always fight and I'm not sure it's one they will ever win.

It's a shame as I had the D200 irons for a full season and they were pretty darn good. I tried the PMP wedges and the Southside putter. Both were good but never earned a permanent place in my bag.

It will be interesting to see a cost-benefit analysis for them putting on this show versus an increase in sales. It definitely puts them on the radar of a few people, but with the show appearing on the golf channel, it probably isn't reaching the wide audience they would have wanted. 

I also felt a little disappointed with the lack of real golf industry behind the scenes look. It would have been super cool to see the little things that go into the club development process. There's probably one of two reasons it didn't happen, either they were worried about revealing too much of their process or it's just not as interesting as we think. 

But it's great to see a company try something new in this declining retail market. I'm sure this driver will be available two weeks late and $200 more in Canada anyway so I will never be hitting it:)  But I am assuming the Triton is the winner....

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Archived