GolfSpy Barbajo

Driver Vs. Driver - Which Do You Like?

Our Sponsors

I really hoped this show would be more about designing and building the clubs than it has been.  Reminds me of 80's cartoon shows where it's basically just a 30 or 60 minute commercial.

I really wanted them to get more into the design and show how moving certain aspects affected the weight, moi, CG etc instead of just saying we went through 3 revisions and here is the data from each one.

Tonight shows the first usable prototypes, I really hope they actually show the manufacturing process instead of a 30 second clip and then showing the final product.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I agree with hckymeyer.  I was hoping to see usga conformity issues, mfg difficulties and patent infringement issues on these models.  All we get are the tiny little presentations....

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

My Pro Shop already has the display for the Winner.....and they will get several of them to sell.....so I'll be able to compare the winner to my Cobra King LTD.

We have been told by Wilson as an authorized account, we can have the club in our shop the day after the winner is announced if we'd like.  I may have the Pro order one, and promise himif it doesn't sell I'll buy it.   if for nothing else the novelty of it. 

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

My Pro Shop already has the display for the Winner.....and they will get several of them to sell.....so I'll be able to compare the winner to my Cobra King LTD.

I was in my store today and the same thing. He has 6 of them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Honma TR20 460, Fujikura Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17* (playing at 15*), Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: Callaway X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Dynamic Gold X100 

Irons: Srixon Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VC-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S300

Putter: SeeMore Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Really I question if the show and any future marketing materials will be enough to get people to actually try this. Will this improve their floor placement in retail outlets? We'll people actually go into stores looking for them. Will they get tried at all over the current leading brands in this space?

I love trying everything and anything I can get my hands on, but has Wilson done enough to attract Joe public? With Wilson's track record as a tier 2 brand the past decade and their "Walmart" stigma, I fear it's a lot of hoopla for something that'll be on RockBottom in a couple months... I hope not, but...

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Really I question if the show and any future marketing materials will be enough to get people to actually try this. Will this improve their floor placement in retail outlets? We'll people actually go into stores looking for them. Will they get tried at all over the current leading brands in this space?

I love trying everything and anything I can get my hands on, but has Wilson done enough to attract Joe public? With Wilson's track record as a tier 2 brand the past decade and their "Walmart" stigma, I fear it's a lot of hoopla for something that'll be on RockBottom in a couple months... I hope not, but...

I think there is a lot of truth in this. Like you I hope it's not the case. But I just don't think the show caught on with the average golfer. I have spoken to several golfers every day at our course and none of them have seen the show.

A few saw the commercials but said they had no interest in trying anything Wilson other than baseball gloves. I'm afraid this is the battle they will always fight and I'm not sure it's one they will ever win.

It's a shame as I had the D200 irons for a full season and they were pretty darn good. I tried the PMP wedges and the Southside putter. Both were good but never earned a permanent place in my bag.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

It will be interesting to see a cost-benefit analysis for them putting on this show versus an increase in sales. It definitely puts them on the radar of a few people, but with the show appearing on the golf channel, it probably isn't reaching the wide audience they would have wanted. 

I also felt a little disappointed with the lack of real golf industry behind the scenes look. It would have been super cool to see the little things that go into the club development process. There's probably one of two reasons it didn't happen, either they were worried about revealing too much of their process or it's just not as interesting as we think. 

But it's great to see a company try something new in this declining retail market. I'm sure this driver will be available two weeks late and $200 more in Canada anyway so I will never be hitting it:)  But I am assuming the Triton is the winner....

WITB

Driver- :taylormade-small:  M1 2016 8.5 degree

Fwy- :taylormade-small:  Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- :callaway-small:  Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- :callaway-small: MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- :seemore-small:  Si2

Ball-  Snell MTB-X