GolfSpy Barbajo

Driver Vs. Driver - Which Do You Like?

I really hoped this show would be more about designing and building the clubs than it has been.  Reminds me of 80's cartoon shows where it's basically just a 30 or 60 minute commercial.

I really wanted them to get more into the design and show how moving certain aspects affected the weight, moi, CG etc instead of just saying we went through 3 revisions and here is the data from each one.

Tonight shows the first usable prototypes, I really hope they actually show the manufacturing process instead of a 30 second clip and then showing the final product.

• Like 2

I agree with hckymeyer.  I was hoping to see usga conformity issues, mfg difficulties and patent infringement issues on these models.  All we get are the tiny little presentations....

• Like 1

My Pro Shop already has the display for the Winner.....and they will get several of them to sell.....so I'll be able to compare the winner to my Cobra King LTD.

We have been told by Wilson as an authorized account, we can have the club in our shop the day after the winner is announced if we'd like.  I may have the Pro order one, and promise himif it doesn't sell I'll buy it.   if for nothing else the novelty of it. 

My Pro Shop already has the display for the Winner.....and they will get several of them to sell.....so I'll be able to compare the winner to my Cobra King LTD.

I was in my store today and the same thing. He has 6 of them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Really I question if the show and any future marketing materials will be enough to get people to actually try this. Will this improve their floor placement in retail outlets? We'll people actually go into stores looking for them. Will they get tried at all over the current leading brands in this space?

I love trying everything and anything I can get my hands on, but has Wilson done enough to attract Joe public? With Wilson's track record as a tier 2 brand the past decade and their "Walmart" stigma, I fear it's a lot of hoopla for something that'll be on RockBottom in a couple months... I hope not, but...

Really I question if the show and any future marketing materials will be enough to get people to actually try this. Will this improve their floor placement in retail outlets? We'll people actually go into stores looking for them. Will they get tried at all over the current leading brands in this space?

I love trying everything and anything I can get my hands on, but has Wilson done enough to attract Joe public? With Wilson's track record as a tier 2 brand the past decade and their "Walmart" stigma, I fear it's a lot of hoopla for something that'll be on RockBottom in a couple months... I hope not, but...

I think there is a lot of truth in this. Like you I hope it's not the case. But I just don't think the show caught on with the average golfer. I have spoken to several golfers every day at our course and none of them have seen the show.

A few saw the commercials but said they had no interest in trying anything Wilson other than baseball gloves. I'm afraid this is the battle they will always fight and I'm not sure it's one they will ever win.

It's a shame as I had the D200 irons for a full season and they were pretty darn good. I tried the PMP wedges and the Southside putter. Both were good but never earned a permanent place in my bag.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see a cost-benefit analysis for them putting on this show versus an increase in sales. It definitely puts them on the radar of a few people, but with the show appearing on the golf channel, it probably isn't reaching the wide audience they would have wanted. 

I also felt a little disappointed with the lack of real golf industry behind the scenes look. It would have been super cool to see the little things that go into the club development process. There's probably one of two reasons it didn't happen, either they were worried about revealing too much of their process or it's just not as interesting as we think. 

But it's great to see a company try something new in this declining retail market. I'm sure this driver will be available two weeks late and $200 more in Canada anyway so I will never be hitting it:)  But I am assuming the Triton is the winner....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Hicksy7

• By JohnSmalls
      Wilson Staff D7 Challenge/Demo. Never been to one, so why not start here?? 
    • By 03trdblack
      Had a chance to go to Golf Galaxy over the weekend and they had the Wilson Cortex on display.  Tried out the 9* head w/ the Fujikura Atmos Blue which on paper is the shaft that should suit me the best.  I tend to do well with shafts that have a stiffer butt and tip but a softer middle.  
      From a looks perspective, the Cortex is very attractive and on a retail rack it commands the appeal of a premium club.  The face is nice and deep and at address the size and shape is just perfect to my eye.  It is very compact looking and I love the black carbon fiber look.  Some of the quality fades away as you get into the adjustment of the weights but I'll come back to that in a moment.  I was very excited to hit this club after standing over it at address and seeing the shape of the head and Wilson nailed the look behind the ball.
      As I started to hit the club the feel and sound was pretty good.  Based on the initial reviews I had read online I somewhat expected the sound to be a little deeper or less metallic but it still have remnants of that weird sound that Wilson drivers have had in the past.  I've had the F5 and the Triton and have also hit the C300 and all of them have a very strange metallic noise that I can only associate with the brand.  Not sure what they are doing when they manufacture heads but the Cortex still had a little of that sound.  The sound is very good though, especially compared to their older drivers and of course the Triton.  I was also hitting indoors so the sound may change out on the course.  Still was pleased with the sound and feel.
      The Atmos Blue feels very smooth and maybe just a tad loose in stiff flex.  I was swinging between 101-105 on this particular day according to the monitor and felt the Atmos Blue could be tipped about 1" and would feel perfect.  The shots coming off the face didn't look like they were rocketing off but ballspeed was average.  I'd say it was producing numbers that were in the lower end of most of the drivers I've hit.  Again, nothing bad but nothing really great either.
      The biggest problem I had with the driver was trying to get the spin down.  I could not get spin to stay consistently below the 2800 and 3200 RPM range.  I hit a few low on the face and the spin shot way up to 3500+.  I was hitting a little bit of a fade so I swapped the 8 gram toe weight into the heel and put the 2 gram weight into the toe.  This didn't really seem to make any noticeable difference in my shot shape or any with my spin numbers.  I then moved the sliding weight all the way forward to try and see if I could drop the spin any and like the heel/toe weights, nothing really changed.  The feel of the club changed for the worse and my spin numbers seemed to actually go up.  The head definitely feels better with the weight towards the middle and back of the head.  Since the slider didn't do anything for my spin numbers, I moved it back towards the rear as the shots felt so much better.
      There was a Wilson C300 9* driver on the used rack and I was able to hit it side by side with the Cortex.  It had the stock Fuji 58 Pro stiff shaft in it which wasn't exactly the same but I immediately dropped my spin by over 1000 RPM's.  I could barely get the C300 above the 2000 RPM mark and the highest spin I got was 2400 on a shot that over-faded to the right.  I immediately picked up 7-12 yards of carry due to the lower spin.  Ballspeed numbers between the Cortex and C300 were identical.  I did hit the C300 lower and found it harder to launch as high which also gave me a lot more roll after landing.  I launched the C300 around 9-11 degrees and the Cortex around 12-13 degrees.  
      I didn't have a chance to try the Atmos Black but historically speaking the black's bend profile doesn't work for me.  Since no store will ever have any other shafts to try I doubt I'll have the chance to find another combination that might bring the spin down.  My theory is that the center of gravity of this head is not as low as it could be.  Even though the crown is carbon fiber to remove weight, most of the sole is also which removes that weight from the heavier bottom of the club.  You have weight freed up for the heel/toe weights and the slider but nothing low and back to pull that COG back down.  The carbon fiber inserts in the sole are also raised up into the head which means that the structure that holds them is also up higher in the head.  I can't wait to see where this club sits on the MyGolfSpy Center of Gravity chart!
      I mentioned earlier that there was some quality issues as I adjusted the weights.  First off, the screw heads for all the weights are very shallow, shallower than any other weight screws I've adjusted, and the wrench slipped out of them very easily as I was trying to tighten them.  I PROMISE these screws will get stripped very quickly and easily if you adjust the weights a few times and Wilson's wrenches feel like they have a lot of torque to get them to click.  I also noticed that the heel and toe weights don't sit flush with the sole of the driver so it looks like you don't have them tightened all the way down.  Not really a huge deal but worth mentioning.  Also the heel/toe weight screws are very skinny and kind of hard to get started in the hole.  I dropped the damn 2 gram weight (which is just plastic) 3-4 times trying to line it up and get the screw started with the wrench.  It took forever and was slightly frustrating.  The shaft adapter also looks like the same adapter Wilson has been using which means that the hosel is plastic.  This means it will be impossible to reshaft because it will melt and the ferrules are not available without buying the entire tip.  Taylormade used to do this but at least you could get replacement plastic ferrules that had the loft measurements once you destroyed the original.  This means that even trying to find another shaft on my own would be impossible!
      All in all I enjoyed hitting the club even though I could never get it to work for me.  The spin was too high and the options to try and get a better fit just don't exist.  Really too bad because the head is absolutely beautiful and perfect looking at address.

• By GolfSpy Barbajo
      Some sweet new bags released today by Wilson Golf.  Whaddya guys think?

WILSON UNVEILS NEW EXO GOLF BAG FAMILY

The new Wilson Staff eXo cart and carry line delivers a higher level of organization through its wide open top and geometric pocket designs.

CHICAGO, September 24th , 2018 – Wilson has officially announced the 2019 line of eXo carry and eXo cart bags. Designed with optimal club space and ergonomic pockets, eXo offers a wide range of storage options for golfers who enjoy easy access to their equipment while walking or riding during their round.

The five-way 10' x 7.5' top of the eXo carry bag incorporates five large dividers which allow for easy club organization and accessibility. With six functional storage pockets, the new carry bag provides golfers ample storage space and convenience access to the essentials during a round on the course.

“The organization and design of each pocket on the eXo carry and cart line make things effortless for golfers,” said Jean-Pierre Degembe, Global Product Director. “We went to great lengths to meet the needs of the everyday golfer, who enjoys the game without the hassle of searching or misplacing items inside their bags.”

The lightweight eXo carry bagweighs in at 5.1lb/2.3 kg, features a non-skid base which rests flat on the ground and has integrated stand legs completing the self-standing design for greater stability around the golf course. The bag also offers a 2-in- one self-balancing four-point double strap system for carrying comfort.

Designed for the keen carrier, the eXo carry bag integrates 3D air flow padded straps and a 3D air flow hip/low back pad to keep golfers cool in warmer conditions.

Additional features include an umbrella and glove holders, a towel ring and rain hood for inclement weather.

The eXo cart bag features a new 14-way 11' x 9' top with 14 full-length dividers with an enlarged putter well to accommodate oversized grips. A new base which features a trolley anchor, which fits easily on a cart and securely on a trolley.

Eight functional pockets provide smooth access to belongings, which includes two “Dry- tech” pockets, two full-size garment spaces and three front accessories pockets. The cart bag also showcases one large cooler pocket. The umbrella and glove holder, tee holders, towel ring, rain hood and 3D foam padded strap complete the list of additional bag features.

Both eXo carry and eXo cart bags are available in four stylish colour schemes: Blue/Royal/Yellow, Black/Black/Orange, Navy/White/Red and Red/White/Red.

The eXo family will be available starting Monday, Spetember 24.

Price Details:
      eXo Carry: $159.99 eXo Cart: $179.99

• By Chadlius88
      Like your typical beginner golfer, I selected my first balls based on the fact that I was likely to lose a lot of them. So for my first round I grabbed 2 boxes of Nitro distance balls at Wally World for 5 bucks per dozen. Yup, lost most of ‘em. But at least I realized pretty quickly that balls sure do make a difference. So I tested several balls as I went along, as my game improved, so did my ball selection until I finally ended up choosing the Srixon Z Star, which is my current gamer, and has been since the middle of last year.

Enter the new Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin (SSP), promising extra spin around the green and a super soft feel. As a die hard Wilson Staff fan (see my signature for the proof) I just had to give these balls a shot. They are a 3 piece ball with an Ionomer cover.

My initial thoughts are all positive, I think Wilson Staff has created a fantastic ball at a great price point. However, they definitely aren't for everyone, and here's why:

That super soft feel part, holy moly. The balls are only 40 compression, so when you hit ‘em good, you definitely get a rubbery feedback, so if you don't like that sort of a feel, you'll hate these balls. I just so happen to like it; and around the greens it actually provides me with great feedback and improves my touch, but we'll get to that in a sec.

Off the tee on hole 1 at the oaks in Somersworth NH, I hit a 253 yard bomb with my 3 wood. The ball went dead straight over the bunkers that cross the fairway, the ball went high enough that my friends and I lost it in the sky and never saw it down. But as I pulled up I saw that my ball had almost rolled through the fairway but stopped about a foot short, leaving me a lob wedge into the par 4 for my second. Don't get too excited, I ended up 3 putting for a bogie. But this leads me well into the next part.

On approach shots, I had no trouble getting the ball to stop quickly on a course that in notorious for ridiculously fast greens. On hole 11, a par 5 I had another lob wedge into a green with the pin at the front of the green. I caught the fringe and the ball checked up less than a foot from the pin for a tap in birdie.

The ball provided plenty of spin around the green. I had multiple chips that I felt I hit way too hard but the ball checked up quick enough to keep me 10 feet or less from the pin. And the feel was fantastic, I could really tell if I had hit the ball with the right touch.

Off the putter was great as well. I did some of my best putting ever during my first round with this ball. 35 putts, when I average in the 40s on a normal day. The ball felt soft but borderline solid off the putter face with a nice quiet sound, no clicking from this ball.

This ball will definitely be staying in my bag for a while for further testing. But so far I am a huge fan. Plus, now I can say I play all Wilson everythang. Check back for updates.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!