TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hideki Matsuyama - Major Champ Waiting To Happen?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Impressive performance by Hideki Masuyama at the World Golf Championships in Shanghai.  Any time you whip the field by 7 strokes you know you've had a good weekend.  

Here's his WITB:

Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha (9.0°) with Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8 TX

Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3-wood with Graphite Design Tour AD DI-9 TX

Irons:

TaylorMade M2 Tour 3-iron with True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT Tour Issue S400

SRIXON Z 945 4-PW with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Wedges: CLEVELAND GOLF 588 RTX 2.0 Precision Forged 52°, 56°, 60° with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Timeless 

Ball: SRIXON Z-STAR XV

Hat, Bag, Apparel, Glove and Umbrella: SRIXON

I love the steadiness of Matsuyama's game -- he's a Major champ in waiting.  Watch for him at Augusta...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

it's only a matter of time for him......his game fits any major venue in my opinion

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

He has the game just needs the lucky bounces one needs to win those tight events when everyone is on their A-game.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I like watching him play, agree with last two post.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

• SPY VIP

His game reminds me a lot of Adam Scott actually. His ball striking is so good, he can be in the mix on any type of course. His putter is what typically holds him back. If he putts well, watch out. Sometimes I wonder if his full swing tempo doesn't translate well to his putting stroke.  

He can definitely play with the best when his A game is working but I wonder about how well he can compete when his swing isn't all there. Majors are won just as much with good misses as they are with good shots and he can be sporadic when he gets off. If he gets it together though he's a very good pick for the masters.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

As many have observed given that it is his putting that seems to hold him back in majors I'm not liking him at Augusta.  How about one of the Opens - those seem to be the better fit.

Regardless he's a ball striking machine that just needs to get putter up to adequate and look out.  I love his swing.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't have a stand out favorite golfer. If I had to choose, it would be Phil Mickelson because he good and uses Callaway. But, I have favorites from different regions of the world. And I been keeping an eye on Hideki M. for awhile and would say he's my favorite from Asia.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As many have observed given that it is his putting that seems to hold him back in majors I'm not liking him at Augusta. How about one of the Opens - those seem to be the better fit.

Regardless he's a ball striking machine that just needs to get putter up to adequate and look out. I love his swing.

Putting is a big part of the masters, very true, but I think it's just as important for the Opens. I think I'll switch my pick to having his first major be a PGA Championship but all it takes is his putting matching his ball striking for 4 days and he has the skill to win any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Yeah, I was literally astounded the first time I saw him on TV and saw one of his iron shots. Wow!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

He's a very solid player.  I would rank him in the top 10 of those that will win a major in the next few years.  As I think we all have stated, if his putting becomes a bit better, he'll be hard to beat (of course we can say that in general as the putter can be the difference for a win on tour).

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I also enjoy watching Hideki play....very powerful presence in the game.  He will get a major someday.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hideki has one of the most interuppted swings on tour but it totally works and he deserves a big win, to golf on tour with an interupption like that means he has practiced his craft well. I applaude him just being on tour. But a big win is in store.

sent using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"What better gift from God than acres of neatly manicured scenery to chase a ball on!"

Archived