Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

What would happen?

revkev

I suppose that it is an intriguing question - what would happen if there were no equipment contracts?

I'm sure we are going to see lots of answers that resemble the set of the person making the comment.  As I start to ponder this one though I'm thinking that I would need to know if club pros and college coaches still have their equipment deals.  If they do Titleist is going to be very happy. :) 

My gut tells me you'd see a lot of bags with Mizuno or Titleist irons and lots of Titleist equipment period.  That's what we normally see in the bags of our teachers.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I suppose that it is an intriguing question - what would happen if there were no equipment contracts?

I'm sure we are going to see lots of answers that resemble the set of the person making the comment.  As I start to ponder this one though I'm thinking that I would need to know if club pros and college coaches still have their equipment deals.  If they do Titleist is going to be very happy. :)

My gut tells me you'd see a lot of bags with Mizuno or Titleist irons and lots of Titleist equipment period.  That's what we normally see in the bags of our teachers.

I think you would see lots of mixes of different things. 

Drivers- Probably mostly Tmag and Cally with some Ping mixed in

Fairway woods- again mostly Tmag and Cally with some Tour Edge and Titleist mixed in

Hybrids- used to, I would say Adams but I don't really know here since I'm allergic to them

Irons- Alot of Mizuno and Titlest with some Ping mixed in

Wedges- Mostly Vokey with some cleveland and Cally mixed in

Putter- A ton of Scotty's with some Odyssey and boutique brands mixed in

But who really knows

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Exactly undershooter my answer reflected what I've seen in the bags of my teaching and club pros. Not what I think is best. I don't have a Tileist or Mizuno in my bag.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There will be fewer driver OEMs and therefore less innovation needed to stay ahead of competition.  Players will gravitate to the longest, most forgiving.  Irons, wedges, and putters are more personal because it will be what feels good to the pro, so the market for them will remain.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I loved thinking about this, honestly I think we'd see PXG pick up a few more pro's as well.  I have a feeling that a lot of guys would continue to play what they have.  Switching clubs is scary and not done lightly at the PGA level.  A lot of guys are going to continue to use what they have just to avoid the "break in" period with a new setup.

I think for a lot of guys we aren't going to see many changes in the bottom half of the bag.  Putters, wedges and irons are so much about feel and confidence that players aren't going to change just because they can.  I think the biggest change is going to be in drivers and FW metals and I would guess a fair amount would move to TMaG.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I loved thinking about this, honestly I think we'd see PXG pick up a few more pro's as well.  I have a feeling that a lot of guys would continue to play what they have.  Switching clubs is scary and not done lightly at the PGA level.  A lot of guys are going to continue to use what they have just to avoid the "break in" period with a new setup.

I think for a lot of guys we aren't going to see many changes in the bottom half of the bag.  Putters, wedges and irons are so much about feel and confidence that players aren't going to change just because they can.  I think the biggest change is going to be in drivers and FW metals and I would guess a fair amount would move to TMaG.

The M drivers and FWs seem to be really well liked by the pros.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

One thing to note is that teaching/club pros all sign deals with the OEMs too... I guess each pro would do like those of us that get fitted and just see what gives them the best overall numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Great question, I think you might see more none golf corporation sponsors.

Having a player wearing your company logo.

A lot more people playing Mixed bags.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Well my first opinion is that product prices may drop. The companies are saving millions for not having contracts so they may pass the savings.

When it comes to players bags, it's got to be a matter of what works for them. I agree with some, in that we may see alot of mixed bags. Some players may have up to 5 brands in their bags. Woods, hybrids, irons, wedges and putter. Not to mention the ball brand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think you would not only see a lot of mixed bags like mentioned, Mizuno and Titleist irons and TMAG drivers etc.

I think you would see those bags change a lot week to week as well.  Having a few friends who caddie on tour they all say their guys are tinkerers and love trying new things.   So without the contract tie ins, I could see one driver in this week and out of the bag the next..LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I wonder if the companies would try to get the best fitters and builders for their trucks or would some players even hire a fitter or builder to do all their club work and get everything in tip top shape for their bags

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think Titleist and Ping would have the largest share just because they seem to have the biggest presence in junior golf. That early influence can do a lot for getting brand loyalty.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived