Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What is "Affordable?"

GolfSpy Barbajo

Thought while shaving this morning...what is "affordable?"

When various products, particularly apparel, have been discussed here that issue of price is always a hot button.  What do you consider "affordable?"  Does "affordable" mean "cheap?" Does it mean "discounted?"  Does it mean than anything that carries a premium price tag - be it a club, a bag, a shirt or a belt - is a ripoff?

Over the years my own views have shifted - I'm a bargain hunter of the highest order but as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate things that last. 10 years ago I would have never purchased, say, a pair of Kentwool socks for $20 when you can buy a 10-pack of socks at Marshall's for $15.  I mean, they're freaking socks, right?  Nowadays, however, I've come to value style, comfort and quality a bit more and have bought several pair of Kentwood's at full price.  Of course, I'll jump all over the Socktober bargain sales, but I've bought several pair at full price - event their compression socks at $40 a pop (I'm a trainer in my day job and spend a lot of time on my feet teaching classes and flying, so there's value to me).

I recently bought some Tommy John underwear - as a devoted listener to Mike and Mike, I've heard their commercials and finally checked out the website and bought some.  Expensive? Yep.  Did I use a coupon code? Yep. Did I still pay more for 3 pair of TJ's compared to the bargain rack pack at Marshall's? Yep. Do I like them? Yep! Would I do it again? Yep...

Price is a hot button in any industry - and it's easy to say things are overpriced or too expensive. My question is how do you choose what's worth it to you and what isn't?  

I'm interested in how you make your own buying decisions and, frankly, comments along the line of "anyone who buys stuff at that price is an idiot" are kinda useless and don't really help.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me golf clothing falls in a completely different category when shopping for it, yes I certainly appreciate the finer things and don't have an issue spending the cash on products that are far superior than the basic bargains such as sock, I too have no issue spending the cash on Kentwool socks, but when I think of golf polos or shorts or pants I always look for the bargain, I love the footjoy polos/ TM clothing/ puma clothing / Dunning/ sunice/ on and on but all of this stuff can be bought at huuuuge savings if you spend the time and look around, hey the only time I'm wearing this stuff is when I'm golfing with my buddies who could care less what I am wearing and look like,

I guess I divide up what really matters to me in terms of quality/ comfort/ exceedingly better quality products over the basics (polos/ shorts/ pants) golf pools/ shorts/ pants are basically all the same to me, everyone makes a fit that you like and the material is basically all similar, I have yet to find a polo/ short/ pant that is exceedingly better than another and it all can be bought at huuuge discounts.

I suspect that if I was a meme we at a country club my views may change, I know some of the nicer ones around me are more on the snobby side and I bet some guy would notice you are wearing last years Peter Millar polo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Friend and I were just discussing this the other day....

Almost all of my golf shirts, are Grand Slam from Kohls, they are comfortable, cool in the summer and look pretty nice.   They feel pretty close to the same as the big name brands, and I get them around $20/ea....sure, I would love a closet full of UA's, but I can't see spending that much on a shirt, when I don't think there is a noticeable difference in quality.

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I'm definitely a bargain shopper, and have no issue wearing whatever works for the price. I also like to check the thrift store now and then.

I have not bought a "new" club in a long time - usually eBay and a little patience get me what I want for the price I like.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I guess I am a little like Barbajo.  I used to travel a lot conducting inspections and training; wore suits, sport coats, nice shirts, but it was for business.  When I got home, I couldn't wait to get home and slum around, even on the golf course.  My old course didn't matter what we wore, and in fact after the first hole and before coming back to the clubhouse, many guys too their shirts off to get a tan; not me!!  It was allowed though.

Last fall I retired and joined a nicer course.  I decided that I wanted to look a little nicer so I started looking  at options.  Of course I bought Kentwool socks!!  There is no sock better when walking a course.  I picked up some Ben Hogan shirts at Walmart.  While they are inexpensive, I wear them and they look decent, but I've decided that I am a cotton guy not the "performance" wicky fabric guy.  I just like the feel of good cotton.  So, I have started buying Criquet shirts, but I only buy when on sale.  Yes, they are expensive even on sale, but they are high quality and feel great.

As for other golf related stuff, most of it goes on sale sometime.  There is nothing that I want or need to buy that can't wait for a sale.  This has become a problem for my wife to buy presents for birthday, anniversary, and Christmas.  When I want something and it's on sale, I buy it.  Why wait?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Awesome responses gents!  This is the kind of topic that can devolve into silliness, so I appreciate the thoughtful responses. Keep 'em coming!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It looks like this thread came after Barbajo received the Bradley Allan email.  With those prices, I can understand that.  

Is there a limit that I will not exceed for one item?  Probably, do I know what that price point is?  No.  Some lines of clothing are just far out there, and I know I would never pay that price, but I don't know how much higher I would go over what I have already paid for some nice stuff.  I ask myself, "How can it be that much better?"  

I can equate it to the golf courses I have played.  I like nice golf courses, but I don't want to pay a lot to play.  What's a lot?  I guess that depends on what you are used to.  I have played several TPC courses but at discounted rates.  While nice, I probably wouldn't play them at their normal rate.  I could play 2-3 very nice courses for the same amount as one of their rack rounds.  After all, being on a nice golf course is the experience I am after.  Maybe if I were a better player, it might be different, but I can enjoy myself on most courses.  OK, I would play Pebble Beach, but there are many IFs for me to play there.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

More thinking on this topic -- I bought a head cover for my driver at the Pebble Beach Pro Shop -- it's red, white and blue, leather, very classy with the Pebble Beach logo on it.  I think I spent like $60 on it. Would i have spent that much for a head cover at home that didn't have the logo? Probably not -- it was more of a souvenir than anything else and at that point it didn't matter to me what it cost.  Hell, I also bought a matching putter head cover to go with it ;-).

The point is - as a souvenir I spent way more for something than I ordinarily would.  Hell, I probably wouldn't have even BOUGHT a driver head cover since you get one for free when you buy the driver, but I valued the souvenir of the experience way more than just the head cover. 

Now, a PB logoed shirt for $100?  Nope....

Kenny makes a good point on courses.  Pebble is a once in a lifetime experience - is it worth $500? After playing it I'll say hell yes. If I was a man of independent means I'd gladly pay that price to play it once a year.  But with kids in college and the real world it's a once in a lifetime experience. That said, I'd shell out the $240 to play Torrey Pines once a year in a heartbeat.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Had to really think about this one for apparel.

I will say as my income and job responsibility have increased over the years so has the ceiling for what i pay for clothes.  

I first learned this about shoes, there is probably nothing worst you can go cheap on than shoes.  After wearing typical bargain dress shoes for many years.  When I got my first real management job, i splurged on a pair of Allen Edmonds.  I couldn't believe shoes could feel like that right out of the box.  So that is something I have never skimped on sine, all the way down to sandals and golf shoes (not golf sandals though...LOL)

Matter of fact I have two pairs of golf shoes, that I came by as a courtsey of the rep this year, and I hate to say I'm not wearing either one, due to them not being comfortable.

Shirts are another area where I don't mind spending money.  While I get great industry discounts on golf polos and pull overs, for my dress shirts, I will pay the upper tier.

socks and underwear may be the last remaining areas, where I haven't really always shopped the top of the line.  But I will say Tommy John has me intriqued as well, just need to pull the trigger.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I am very fortunate to have a Macy's Dept Store just 4 miles away.  They carry the Greg Norman clothing line and I can count on a big clearance sale every November and June.  The shirts fit me with plenty of mavablility(great for golfing). Just as important, my wife really likes how they come out of the dryer, with no wrinkles!  Third, I can get the $65 shirts for about $15-$20 each when they go on sale, combining their discount with Macy's coupons.  That said, over the past several years, my closet has migrated from various brands to a rainbow of Greg Norman shirts.  BTW, the shorts usually have a rubbery band inside the waistband, which helps keep my shirt in place.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Shoes... Aaah, shoes!!  

I have two pairs of regular shoes that I normally wear.  Not golf shoes!  One is a pair of Johnston & Murphy slip-ons that I bought in MmmmmmBuddy's golf shop on sale.  I wanted a pair to wear to the course; I got them for less than half-price.  I also wear a pair of New Balance running type shoe.  I used to buy the same shoe every year after wearing out the last pair.  I have had this last pair for 7 years!!  Why the difference?  Not because I haven't been wearing them; but this pair was Made in USA!  I'm not kidding!!  The old pairs I bought at Big Five Sporting Goods for around $50-60.  The Made in USA pair cost $240.  OK, why did I pay that much for what basically looks like the same shoe?  I'm not sure, but I was probably in the mood of not buying anything imported.  I haven't even replaced the laces, and the shoe still looks like it will last several more years.

I have two other pairs of shoes, and one pair of boots that are dressy that I rarely wear anymore.  However, I currently have 3 pairs of True Linkswear and one pair of Adidas Tour 360 golf shoes that I wear.  All of these I got on sale.  I will never pay full price for a pair of golf shoes.  I'll just wait for True to sell off last year's models.

FWIW, I will NEVER pay that much for underwear!!  

Not for nothing - but here's something to chew on:

If you go to Home Depot and buy a Kohler lav faucet for, say, $80 -- it's pretty much a Home Depot exclusive.  A faucet that looks exactly the same purchased through a plumber and a plumbing wholesaler may cost the plumber $100 and he would have to mark it up and sell it to you.  The thing is, it's not the same faucet.

It looks the same, the model name is the same and the picture on the box is the same, but the actual product is quite different.  More plastic and other less expensive components in the Home Depot brand, more brass and higher quality components in the wholesale version.  This creates quite a quandary in my industry - but it's how things are done.  That kind of stuff may not happen in the golf industry (clones notwithstanding), but it leads to another question --

What kind of a statement does price make?  We're anxious to buy adidas or Nike shirts that were $90 but have been discounted to $24.99 - we view that as a great deal.  Would we feel the same if the same adidas or Nike shirt started out at $24.99?  Would we think we're getting a better deal on a shirt that started at $90 and was discounted vs. a shirt that started out at and stayed at $24.99?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I buy most of my golf gear either at my home pro shop, or on vacation.  I'll often buy a shirt or two on a golf holiday, and while I look at the prices, I'm willing to splurge.  At my home club, I'll buy a couple of shirts at full price if a specific style suits my eye, but most of my purchases are made with pro shop credit as a result of doing well in competitions.  I like to compete, and regularly do well, so I end up spending a lot of credit on clothes and clubs and shoes.  I know, they're full price, but its not money out of my pocket when I'm spending it, so it feels like its free.  I guess the conclusion is, I buy most of my stuff at full price, but a lot of the time I'm spending someone else's tournament entry fee.

Oh, and for Kenny B, who prefers cotton shirts, check out the LinkSoul line.  Its relatively new, from John Ashworth (remember Ashworth clothing from a decade or two back?)  super-soft cotton.  At full price its not cheap, but I see some stuff at half-price here: https://www.fairwaystyles.com/linksoul?category%5B%5D=21&push=1&gclid=CPmVo9L7h9ACFUlehgodp5wJnQ

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I buy most of my golf gear either at my home pro shop, or on vacation.  I'll often buy a shirt or two on a golf holiday, and while I look at the prices, I'm willing to splurge.  At my home club, I'll buy a couple of shirts at full price if a specific style suits my eye, but most of my purchases are made with pro shop credit as a result of doing well in competitions.  I like to compete, and regularly do well, so I end up spending a lot of credit on clothes and clubs and shoes.  I know, they're full price, but its not money out of my pocket when I'm spending it, so it feels like its free.  I guess the conclusion is, I buy most of my stuff at full price, but a lot of the time I'm spending someone else's tournament entry fee.

Oh, and for Kenny B, who prefers cotton shirts, check out the LinkSoul line.  Its relatively new, from John Ashworth (remember Ashworth clothing from a decade or two back?)  super-soft cotton.  At full price its not cheap, but I see some stuff at half-price here: https://www.fairwaystyles.com/linksoul?category%5B%5D=21&push=1&gclid=CPmVo9L7h9ACFUlehgodp5wJnQ

Thanks!  I always liked Ashworth.  Maybe it was because Freddie wore it!

My golf attire, pants, shirts, and shorts all come from either TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or heavily discounted from an online golf retailer. But, I buy my everyday clothing the same way. You can look nice for not much money. So for me, affordable clothing are items at discount stores or with big markdowns. All of my equipment is bought used or is a new item that is a year or two old design. Coupled with deals on balls like MG C4's or now Kirkland signatures, I keep my equipment cost at an affordable level I'm comfortable with.

Shoes are completely different. As a walker, shoes are very important, as important to me any other piece of equipment. I will gladly spend anywhere from $100-$250 on a quality pair of shoes. I also have high arches so add another $60 for orthotics. $200-$300 for shoes might not be affordable to some, but by saving on other areas I can buy higher quality shoes. High quality socks are also very important. Haven't tried the Kentwool socks yet but am intrigued.

The one item I still want but haven't gotten is a leather golf bag from http://www.eliottgolfbags.com/ Eliott. A custom leather golf bag at $1000 is definitely a luxury item, but I'd love to buy one, use it for the rest of my life and then pass it on to my daughters or future grandkids. I'd consider it affordable if I never have to buy another bag and it gets used by multiple generations.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobi

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Interesting thread.  I honestly thought very little about Golf Attire prior to being on this website - bargain basket all the way for me.  I'm still unlikely to go out and spend large sums of money on any piece of clothing unless I want something with a logo from a course that I'm playing.  However, I've moved up to purchasing name items on sale (they last longer and represent the greater value IMO) and I've also been the beneficiary of some very nice hand me downs from deceased members of late. 

In regards to equipment I'm often on yesterday's news that will then get fitted or if possible fitted first. 

As for courses, I am willing to pay for a great golfing experience so long as I feel as if I'm getting a value.  I paid over a grand to take my family to Universal studios last fall, they are still talking about it.  I will be for that type of golf experience.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When it comes to business clothes compared to golf clothes the term affordable is different for me.  I (okay my wife) will pay prices for work clothes that I would not even contemplate for golf attire or any attire outside of work for that matter. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I suppose it's all relative to one's income. That said, I will spend more on quality equipment than I ever will on clothing. I wear Ben Hogan polo shirts  from Walmart for $17.00.... sometimes on sale for $12.00. To me, they are a great deal for a shirt that is comfortable and looks nice. I've never been a fashion plate. As long as it looks decent and is cheap, I'm all in! 

I will spend more on clubs and other actual equipment, but I won't go overboard in that area either. Again... one's income has a lot to do/say about it.

Think I'm a typical bargain hunter. Cheap in price not in quality. Finding quality at a discount rate is fun to me.

Now shoes are a different story. Quality before price every time.

Guess to answer the question as to what affordable means to me, is I'm all over the board depending on the item I'm purchasing.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Finding quality at a discount rate is fun to me.

Bingo Tazz -- I'm with you on that one.   :D  :D

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Me three, Tazz & Barba - there's a thrill to it...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• SPY VIP

Certainly relative to income, but here's my quick answer - Something is affordable if I can buy it and it doesn't change how my family lives that day, week, or month. So, let's say you have a $500 driver and you want the super, limited, fancier edition that's $700. If that extra $200 really doesn't change whether or not you can pay your mortgage, bills, etc, the for me, it's "affordable"

That said, let's not confuse affordable with "value" - Value is entirely individual and that's where I think this conversation ultimately rests. Value is where we, as consumers, get to decide if the product is "worth" the price.

Affordable is always gonna be a subjective term relative to income. For me it's a lot less then others till college is over and done with. Having said that I don't have a problem spending premium price on gear of higher quality but I have to be convinced I'm getting what I pay for. PXG is still up in the air for me though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Affordable to me simply means, can YOU afford it? For some guys a new $400 driver every year is affordable. That is not the case with me. I am a shopper. I don't ever pay full retail for anything. Its a matter of what I am comfortable spending on a certain item, whether it be clothes, clubs , cars or whatever. For me the acid test is , am I happy with the purchase and do I have any buyers remorse. I think everyone agrees that paying less rather than more always feels better but what works for me may not work for you. We are conditioned as consumers to believe more expensive is always better and in many cases that is true. Retailers put a number on things and there are always some who can afford things at any price and are willing to pay. they can afford it. Many of us can't afford to pay those prices and are not willing to pay them. That's why there are SALES,  SO, I think affordable is a sliding scale and is truly a personal thing based on each persons situation. I do not think affordable means cheap or of poor quality. Its just an interpretation of a number. 

Thought while shaving this morning...what is "affordable?"

When various products, particularly apparel, have been discussed here that issue of price is always a hot button. What do you consider "affordable?" Does "affordable" mean "cheap?" Does it mean "discounted?" Does it mean than anything that carries a premium price tag - be it a club, a bag, a shirt or a belt - is a ripoff?

Over the years my own views have shifted - I'm a bargain hunter of the highest order but as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate things that last. 10 years ago I would have never purchased, say, a pair of Kentwool socks for $20 when you can buy a 10-pack of socks at Marshall's for $15. I mean, they're freaking socks, right? Nowadays, however, I've come to value style, comfort and quality a bit more and have bought several pair of Kentwood's at full price. Of course, I'll jump all over the Socktober bargain sales, but I've bought several pair at full price - event their compression socks at $40 a pop (I'm a trainer in my day job and spend a lot of time on my feet teaching classes and flying, so there's value to me).

I recently bought some Tommy John underwear - as a devoted listener to Mike and Mike, I've heard their commercials and finally checked out the website and bought some. Expensive? Yep. Did I use a coupon code? Yep. Did I still pay more for 3 pair of TJ's compared to the bargain rack pack at Marshall's? Yep. Do I like them? Yep! Would I do it again? Yep...

Price is a hot button in any industry - and it's easy to say things are overpriced or too expensive. My question is how do you choose what's worth it to you and what isn't?

I'm interested in how you make your own buying decisions and, frankly, comments along the line of "anyone who buys stuff at that price is an idiot" are kinda useless and don't really help.

For me "affordable" has always meant the highest quality that I can afford, within whatever my given budget is at the time.

I'll go along with the underwear analogy. I haven't tried Tommy Johns, and have no plans to, since I found a pair of SAXX at TJ Maxx a few months ago. I got a pair for $8.99 as opposed to the regular $29.99. These things are amazing! They have this pouch...anyway, Google if your curious, point is, I would never thought I would spend $30 on underwear, but I loved them so much that amount suddenly became affordable to me. I still check TJ Maxx every chance I get, but I won't hesitate to order a pair every now and then for full price.

As far as clubs go, I love the used rack at PGA Superstore. I don't remember the last time I bought a new club that wasn't a Scor wedge. I just picked up a SLDR with a Diamana Kali shaft in it for $100. Considering the price of that shaft, I'd consider that affordable.

Forgive my rambling...point is, affordable for me will always be what fits best in my budget at the highest quality possibly at a given time.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Had to really think about this one for apparel.

I will say as my income and job responsibility have increased over the years so has the ceiling for what i pay for clothes.

I first learned this about shoes, there is probably nothing worst you can go cheap on than shoes. After wearing typical bargain dress shoes for many years. When I got my first real management job, i splurged on a pair of Allen Edmonds. I couldn't believe shoes could feel like that right out of the box. So that is something I have never skimped on sine, all the way down to sandals and golf shoes (not golf sandals though...LOL)

Matter of fact I have two pairs of golf shoes, that I came by as a courtsey of the rep this year, and I hate to say I'm not wearing either one, due to them not being comfortable.

Shirts are another area where I don't mind spending money. While I get great industry discounts on golf polos and pull overs, for my dress shirts, I will pay the upper tier.

socks and underwear may be the last remaining areas, where I haven't really always shopped the top of the line. But I will say Tommy John has me intriqued as well, just need to pull the trigger.

My uncle is a very frugal man that has acquired his fair share of wealth over the years. He skimps on a lot of things but his common refrain is, "There are two things in life you never skimp on: your shoes and your mattress."

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Friend and I were just discussing this the other day....

Almost all of my golf shirts, are Grand Slam from Kohls, they are comfortable, cool in the summer and look pretty nice. They feel pretty close to the same as the big name brands, and I get them around $20/ea....sure, I would love a closet full of UA's, but I can't see spending that much on a shirt, when I don't think there is a noticeable difference in quality.

Again, I agree with the Judge. The Grand Slam polos are nice and inexpensive. I've also went to Gordmans. They have some nice ones as low as $10. I also like the PGA brand of clothing. Than can be around $25. And all these have lasted over 2 seasons now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Don't think this quote applies to golf equipment and apparel - but definitely to shoes.  It's something to consider in other parts of life...

1606.jpg

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”
― John Ruskin

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived