What is "Affordable?"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my most recent example: Just yesterday....   I played a 9-hole charity scramble. In addition to the golf one of the fund raising methods was buying squares on a board for a chance to win a s

Thought while shaving this morning...what is "affordable?"   When various products, particularly apparel, have been discussed here that issue of price is always a hot button.  What do you consider "

Don't think this quote applies to golf equipment and apparel - but definitely to shoes.  It's something to consider in other parts of life...     “It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse t

If I showed a pick of my closet I would probably get kicked off this site. However it is nice to be the best dressed guy at men's night every Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wow!  Only on Wednesday, eh?   Here, every night is men's night!!   ;)

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very similar to you, JB. Best example I have is Under Armour Heat Gear. Balked at paying $50 for a mock T, until I got one at a discount. Seemingly worth every penny, but still hard to pull that "high dollar" trigger, whether it's apparel, clubs or even a greens fee a lot of the time.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

If I showed a pick of my closet I would probably get kicked off this site. However it is nice to be the best dressed guy at men's night every Wednesday.

More likely that we'd envy you to the point we storm the castle. Unfortunately, most of it probably wouldn't fit my fat... [emoji206]

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

This subject is actually fascinating to me.

Here is how I perceive it. Affordable isn't a simple idea. We use a tier system.

I'd argue that to each of us there are a certain segment of items that we are totally price insensitive to. Some examples of that to me are as follows: Golf Clubs, Coffee (whole bean quality stuff), Clothing, Office chair, Organic Food, etc.

Tommy John is a perfect example. I know that I can purchase the Nordstrom Rack version for $20 instead of $40 a pair for the Second Skin stuff, but honestly, I'd pay $100 for the stuff if that's what it took. It's simply the best and most comfortable underwear I've ever tried. To me, that product is "affordable" because I'm price insensitive. With that being said, there are certainly other items in my life where price and value are of the utmost importance. Such as: Television, Cell Phone service, housing necesities, golf balls, etc.

It's such a fascinating subject. We can totally flip the reasoning/perspective based solely on what we are purchasing. For me? I'm buying the correct clubs for me no matter the price. To me, having the confidence of know I'm getting the best thing that I can for my game makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Dayuuuummmm   ya'll got me wanting to try them uptown underwear.   The fancy socks sounds pretty comfortable too however I'm retired now so I have to catch those kind of luxuries on sale.  I'm a bargain shopper however like some have said, I look for bargains that are well made and will last me a while.  You buy cheap then you end of buying it again before you would of if you had bought the quality stuff in the first place. 

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

Ole gray, no joke. Tommy John underwear is a game changer. This is not hyperbole. They are worth every dollar of $40 a pair. I'd pay double that if I had to. They're simply the best. Seriously, try a pair. You'll get them, wear them for a day, and then throw all of the other underwear you own away and replace them with Tommy John. They're that good.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Ole gray, no joke. Tommy John underwear is a game changer. This is not hyperbole. They are worth every dollar of $40 a pair. I'd pay double that if I had to. They're simply the best. Seriously, try a pair. You'll get them, wear them for a day, and then throw all of the other underwear you own away and replace them with Tommy John. They're that good.

Heck buddy Christmas [emoji319] is coming up so ole Santa [emoji318] will have some new drawers on my list [emoji6]

Ping

Smart move my friend.

• Like 1

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

.... I've had to bite my keyboard to not post regarding Tommy-freaking-John "game-changer" underwear. But I can't.

So Shawn, what game is being changed? I want to know. I want in the game man.

Will I shoot lower scores? Will my lawn become the envy of the neighborhood? Will I look 20 years younger? Will my investments perpetually skyrocket? Will beautiful women demand I come sit with them? Will my beer taste better? What is it? Please tell me.  :D

• Like 4

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm with plaid - and you can go commando for free! ;)

Just don't get ya tally whacker caught up in your zipper.  I did that when I was a little boy and my Dad had to chase me out from under the house to free that thing up. :unsure: 

• Like 1

Ping

Just don't get ya tally whacker caught up in your zipper. I did that when I was a little boy and my Dad had to chase me out from under the house to free that thing up. :unsure:

Don't get the beams above the frank. Learned that by watching Something About Mary.

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 15* AD TP 7x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 18* AD MT 7x

PXG 0311X Gen 2 23* AD DI 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 5-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:odyssey-small: Toulon Madison Stroke Lab 34"

Well, we have some passionate underwear people in here! Haha.

The game that's being changed is comfort. They don't ride up, don't need adjusted at all while wearing them. You could have a pair on and do whatever around the house and the comfort won't change. The "quick draw" fly is amazing. You may think a horizontal fly isn't much different than traditional, but you haven't tried these.

It's comfort. Compared to other high end underwear there's no competition. They're just awesome. Plus the material is super comfortable and breathable.

Anyone else want more underwear sales information? Haha.

Hey I get it, underwear is underwear right? Sure, but if you try them I promise you you'll see what I'm saying. These are awesome.

Hope that helps boys. Haha.

• Like 1

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Over the years I've settled into more of a bargain shopper. Although I do have specific brands I stick to - UA and Adidas mainly. Thankfully I can find the occasional deals on both brands so that's good.

With shoes I will spend a little more for quality but $125 is typically where I start to draw the line. I take good care of my shoes and they tend to last a while for me so that investment gets stretched out.

On the underwear front I'm pretty picky and love my 2UNDR shorts. I walk a lot and have learned the hard way which brands don't mesh well with my under carriage! :) This is one area where I don't cheap out and will pay a bit extra for quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a doubt, the single most expensive thing you will ever buy is golf equipment - if purchased on a whim.

If you tally up the amount of money the average golfer spends on the latest driver - in the vain hope it will transform their game - or any other golf club that will perform the same miracle, then you have a pretty large bill. I would estimate that most golfers spend an average of $2000 + on equipment they needn't buy.

By anyones standards, that is simply unaffordable.

If you flip that theory around, then the single most value for money thing you can buy is knowledge. A golf lesson, a fitting session or similar will still be valid years after you buy it - and best of all, it will transfer to any piece of equipment that you will ever own in the future (provided you don't fall into the first "whim" option). If you take that knowledge and extrapolate it into to something worth buying, then you are halfway on the path to playing better golf. That, in my opinion is value for money - some may disagree, but then their cupboards may well be full of golfing equipment that has out lived its usefulness too.....

• Like 1

.... I've had to bite my keyboard to not post regarding Tommy-freaking-John "game-changer" underwear. But I can't.

So Shawn, what game is being changed? I want to know. I want in the game man.

Will I shoot lower scores? Will my lawn become the envy of the neighborhood? Will I look 20 years younger? Will my investments perpetually skyrocket? Will beautiful women demand I come sit with them? Will my beer taste better? What is it? Please tell me.  :D

I have a theory! My good friend golf buddy Doug is a very fine golfer. He "claims" the extra distance from his very smooth and easy swing is because he goes commando, gets the extra power from the forward momentum of his unrestricted... well you get the idea. Perhaps the design of the Tommy John's has a similar springboard effect!!!!

• Like 1

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

You never know until you try Jax! Haha.

• Like 1

Jones Utility Golf Bag.