TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ben Hogan Adding Iron Numbers to Hosel

McaseyM

Just came across this on Instagram:

Looks like they got enough feedback for players wishing to have traditional number system on their irons. The loft will still be on the sole, but all 2017 irons will feature the traditional iron number engraved on the hosel.

From their blog, Here's some launch profiles:

Low Launch Loft Profile:

20°(#4) / 24°(#5) / 28°(#6) / 32°(#7) / 36°(#8) / 40°(#9) / 44°(PW)

Low-Mid Launch Loft Profile:

21°(#4) / 25°(#5) / 29°(#6) / 33°(#7) / 37°(#8) / 41°(#9) / 45°(PW)

Mid Launch Loft Profile:

22°(#4) / 26°(#5) / 30°(#6) / 34°(#7) / 38°(#8) / 42°(#9) / 46°(PW)

High Launch Loft Profile:

23°(#4) / 27°(#5) / 31°(#6) / 35°(#7) / 39°(#8) / 43°(#9) / 47°(PW)

I think it's a good compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'd have maybe done it the other way around...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Smart move.  Bad implementation.

How would you have retrofit all of the heads already in inventory? 

I agree that the implementation is no bueno, but I cannot see another avenue that makes financial sense..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I have played the Hogans for over a year now.  I am used to having only the loft numbers on the clubs.  In my cart bag, each club has a separate slot, which makes pulling clubs simple.  

Nevertheless, I still tend to think of my 34 degree club as my seven iron, my 52 degree as my pitching wedge, and my 24 degree as my four iron.  If one of my friends asks which club I hit on a par three, I tell them the number, not the loft.    

Last month, I took a golf trip and used my carry bag.  It has six compartments.  It was a bit unusual of me because I had to think about which club was which--I couldn't just reach in and grab the club like I can with my cart bag.

Next year I am going to Ireland and will use a caddy for each round.  I have wondered how the lofts on the irons would work with a caddy--especially if I have to stop and think about which loft corresponds to which club.  

I have thought about adding numbers to the heads, but for me it is not worth it day to day.  But I think it is a good thing overall.  I do, however, wonder how the numbers will affect the individual golfers customization of their set.  I have four degree lofts between all my clubs.  But I could see someone having a three degree gap between certain clubs.  Will the golfer have two five irons? 

Found that once I figured out which club was my 7-iron (the 33*), it was easy after that. Took maybe 2 rounds to learn what club to use when. Really was just an extension of what we do with wedges.

Good point about modifications to existing stock - probably easier to out the iron number on the hosel. Wonder if that'll change going forward?

If they do, it'll lose the most fun part of playing the Hogans - 145 yards? This looks like a job for the 41 iron! Hey,

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think it's a good move overall for the brand, many people seem to be afraid of the loft only. After having them for most of the summer I can say I like the loft on the soles. If for nothing else I know what to tell the club builder to bend them to when I get lofts checked.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I would rather see the club # stamped on the back of the blade.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I would just not see the club number at all. That way when your buddy asks you what you just hit on the par 3, you can just say I hit my 34 degree and see the confusion on his face.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I generally like "old school" type stuff. Including the Hogan brand. However, I never liked the way they only had the loft represented on their irons instead of actual club number. I guess this idea they have come up with now is ok. But for the long term if I had any say I'd ask Hogan go back and stamp the club number and ditch the loft.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I like the lofts.  I have totally gotten use to play my SCORs at 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58 degrees.  I don't even think about them being a 9i or one of the wedges anymore.  If I played Hogans for my other irons, I wouldn't miss the numbers.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm like an earlier poster with my wedges - If someone asks I'll just call them Gap Wedge, Sand Wedge or Lob Wedge even though I almost never use my 54 out of the sand - it's much easier than going through an explanation.

I'm sure that I would do the same if I had Hogans through the bag.

However I think they are making a smart move going to numbers.  They are already vying for a niche - by going with the lofts instead of the numbers they make that niche smaller IMO.  In fact I wouldn't have the loft stamped at all - I'd offer the differing lofts in the ordering process but I would only stamp the numbers on.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This one is weird for me. I personally kind of like the loft son the irons. It does take some time to get used to but I call my 38* my 8 iron for all intents and purposes. I would love if I could run my clubs to Ft Worth and get the number stamped into the back. I think it would look pretty cool. This also seems to be a decent compromise. Loft numbers to keep it unique and to keep up with their "Gaping theory" but traditional numbers to bring in some people who are turned off by the lofts only. 

As long as they keep putting out awesome products (Please make an affordable driver or putter) it should be fine. They probably wont compete with the big dogs but they should be able to stay afloat. 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I just saw this in my email this morning and it made me cringe.  I can't help but feel this is due to Terry Koehler's exit from the President/CEO role, along with pressure to increase profits.  

The Hogan line had been reinvented and reinvigorated as a line that was different due to their gapping system, which involved the lofts only on the clubheads.  They should've stuck to their guns.  Based off some of the replies in this thread, we aren't too far away from the company regressing to the norm of offering one iron set with independent lofts.  Apparently different doesn't sell.  

Oh well.  Maybe by the time I can afford to game some Hogans the defunct loft numbers will have decreased in price!

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I just saw this in my email this morning and it made me cringe.  I can't help but feel this is due to Terry Koehler's exit from the President/CEO role, along with pressure to increase profits.  

The Hogan line had been reinvented and reinvigorated as a line that was different due to their gapping system, which involved the lofts only on the clubheads.  They should've stuck to their guns.  Based off some of the replies in this thread, we aren't too far away from the company regressing to the norm of offering one iron set with independent lofts.  Apparently different doesn't sell.  

Oh well.  Maybe by the time I can afford to game some Hogans the defunct loft numbers will have decreased in price!

You must have received a different e-mail than I got this morning.  Here is an excerpt from the one I got:

Fort Worth, Texas: The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announced today that it will begin shipping 2017 models of the highly successful FT. WORTHâ„¢ and PTxâ„¢ irons immediately.  The design and composition of the golf clubs will remain virtually unchanged, but the 2017 models will now incorporate the more traditional club head numbering system (#4 iron - Pitching Wedge) tastefully engraved on the hosel.

17.PTx_05.jpg?t=1478204952936&width=314&

Ben Hogan Golf remains committed to custom club-fitting via the PreciseLoftâ„¢ System. Each iron is numbered with its exact loft; between 20 and 47 degrees.  Now, the addition of the 'traditional' iron equivalent on the hosel will make for an easier and more simplified on-course experience for those golfers who found the lofts alone to be unconventional.  "We listened to our customers and consumers, plain and simple" said Scott White, President and CEO of the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company.  "The concept behind the PreciseLoftâ„¢ System is valid; consistent 4-degree loft gaps between each iron is just logical.  However, we wanted to make our equipment as user-friendly as possible so we are adding traditional designations to each iron."

I like this idea. I got use to the lofts on my Ft Worth HI's, but I think this will be a good way to make most happy.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Quick fix I guess for them. I would prefer the numbered irons as standard and loft numbered as a custom order.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Not a fan here. Looks too busy for my liking.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Sure hope you can get them without this, anyone know if that's a possibility?

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Yikes, that does not look good. I'd say stick with the loft numbers or iron numbers on the head directly. I'm interested in a set of the PTx irons, but would want them without he iron numbers on them.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I viscerally hate club numbers unless they have 1950s loft/number correlations.

No numbers a were big selling point in Hogans being my very last set of irons.

Now I don't play anymore, I feel like crap, and I suddenly live in a fascist country.

I have no reason to comment on anything, never mind golf clubs, but one has to pass time some way while waiting restlessly to die.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I viscerally hate club numbers unless they have 1950s loft/number correlations.

No numbers a were big selling point in Hogans being my very last set of irons.

Now I don't play anymore, I feel like crap, and I suddenly live in a fascist country.

I have no reason to comment on anything, never mind golf clubs, but one has to pass time some way while waiting restlessly to die.

Hey Nifty!!!  Welcome back!! We've missed you 'round here....I'd ask how you're doing but I think you just gave us the answer...

Hell, I'll ask anyway -- how the heck are ya??

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

No way, nifty- we need more of ya around here, you're not getting off that easy...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Man. Just saw this. Yuck.

What they should do is stamp the club number underneath/above the loft number. Shrink the size of each number and do something that almost looks like a fraction. That would be much cleaner and let people look at the club how they prefer. Not this.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Man. Just saw this. Yuck.

What they should do is stamp the club number underneath/above the loft number. Shrink the size of each number and do something that almost looks like a fraction. That would be much cleaner and let people look at the club how they prefer. Not this.

I thought about this too, but they were probably concerned people would confuse it for bounce like on wedges

Smart move.  Bad implementation.

That was my first thought too. Sometimes, less is more - just keep things simple and traditional. Why would anyone care about the loft stamped onto the sole anyway?

"Bad implementation" just about sums up the BH business model through the years.

Not sure what the real logic is behind adding iron numbers.  It takes about 10 minutes to get comfortable with the loft and then you move on.  In two years playing these clubs I have never hit the wrong club by mistake because of only having the loft on the sole (but many times thinking I am longer than I actually am).  Also play twice a week with a caddy and the lofts have never been an issue in that regard either.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Archived