Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rumors: Poulter predicts end of U.S. golf dominance

Moecat

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2010/07/rumors-poulter-predicts-end-of-us-golf-dominance.html

Posted at 2:07 PM by Mike Walker | Categories: British Open, Ian Poulter, Sergio Garcia, St. Andrews, Tiger Woods

Ian Poulter had fans lining up down the block for his autograph outside the Nevada Bob's in St. Andrews, but he won't be Mr. Popular among American Tour players after taking some shots at the state of the U.S. game in Lawrence Donegan's article in The Guardian UK on Monday.

"The American guys who have won all the tournaments over the past few years are getting older," said the world No 8. "Phil [Mickelson] is 40 – can he do what Vijay [singh] did in his 40s? He's strong enough; it's whether he is hungry enough, I guess.

"The talent [in America] to replace them is very young and needs a bit more experience, so we have a 15-year window. The Americans have a gap and that gap is being filled by European guys right now, guys who are in their late 20s, early 30s and who are doing the job right now.

Poulter has a point about the dearth of top U.S. players in their prime. Five of the world's top 10 are from the UK., and Team Europe will almost surely be the favorites at the Ryder Cup in Wales this fall. But he's wrong to question Mickelson's hunger. Just ask anyone at Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

I agree with Poulter. The kids coming up from Europe didn't come from golf factories; they were allowed to find things out on their own. For the most part, the kids in the US are coddled and coached- probably too much, all in the name of an exclusive endorsement deal. The lone exception I can think of is Rickie Fowler- that kid did it like Hogan, finding it "in the dirt". Hopefully he can get experience in bunches this year. If he does, the "gap" might not be so big.

I must REALLY be missing out on something... There aren't any Five Guys near where I live. Great- now this is going to bug me!!! ;)

THE best fast-food french fries you will ever eat. It's hard to call them fast-food they are so good.

5 guys is amazing. But if you ever find yourself, and I know this is unlikly, in Brighton in the UK, you need to try a grubs double Malaysian burger, peanut butter and chilli sauce. Awesome, and the fries are amazing.

With regards to the golf, Poults has got a point, although I don't think it is clear cut as that. I'm really interested to see how Casey can get on this weekend, as I believe he is the most talented of the UK guys. Rose as well will definitely bag a major at some point. And although he had a bad day yesterday Rory Mcilroy will win multiple opens in time.

I thought it was interesting when Phil was asked about this quote last week and he sort of stepped around the issue and said he really like Poulter, which he repeated when pressed further. He also pointed out that things worked out well in April for an American in a major.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Ian Poulter is a guy who like to talk. He also said once that in a couple of years it would be Tiger and him dominating the golfing world. Based on the accuracy of that, I don't think the U.S. golfers have much top worry about.

Having said that it is true that they sure had a dismal showing last weekend. I sometimes think they are fair weather golfers, and can't handle severe conditions.

Don McCobb Play Golf For Fun

LOL... Don, you are so spot on with that. They were going nuts with 20-30 mph winds. In Cheyenne where I am, that just means its...uhhh... Tuesday. LOL!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Archived