TESTERS WANTED! ×

A question for everyone

MmmmmmBuddy

A good post and topic.

I can tell you for the record that despite their best efforts to make the best overall driver, I'm still seeing the best results from my 983K - fact. 

For the record also, I absolutely endorse the fitting for any or all of the clubs in your bag to fit your game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good post and topic.

I can tell you for the record that despite their best efforts to make the best overall driver, I'm still seeing the best results from my 983K - fact. 

For the record also, I absolutely endorse the fitting for any or all of the clubs in your bag to fit your game.

I completely believe in fitting every club in the bag to achieve peak performance.  However, if I am required by the design characteristics of a golf club, to be fit at a super exclusive (read "Expensive" and "Exclusive") to achieve this type of performance... It seems self defeating.  

It could be by design..  Makes it easier to improve each model if only 2-5% of players are properly fit.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've tried several times in the last few years to find a driver that can beat my old Nickent/Epic combo.  

Most recently I hit several drivers, all with stock shafts, and the guy who was "fitting" gave me a Callaway BB to try on course. He told me I probably wouldn't want to buy it, as the numbers on the monitor were nearly identical.

Sure enough, on course I hit it ok, but my old driver was better,

I would love to try modern drivers with non standard shafts to see if there is any improvement, but the cost v benefit then starts to look a lot less attractive.

If I could get a driver that could guarantee 1 or 2 clubs less for my second shot, I could consider spending big money, but otherwise I'll stick with what I've got. 

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

This is a fascinating topic. It begs the question of testing the past several most wanted drivers head to head. It would also be interesting to test them off the rack self fitted vs. Fitted.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Had several Indian/Arrow moments in my latest round.  Playing with the Nike Vapor 440 Flex, which I'm falling back in love with.  Several drives were in the 225 to 230 range, several of the better ones - ones that I would consider "normal" - were in the 245 to 255 range. One was about 270 and one - NOT downhill or wind aided - was 302.  (Okay, it hit a downhill bump and got a little help, but give an old man a break). 

Arrow or Indian?  Were the 225 to 230 drives because the club wasn't right for me, or because the swings were off? And would a more forgiving driver have helped any?  Would my normal drives had been longer if the driver was truly "fit?"

For the record, the shaft was fit for me - Fuji Pro Tour Spec 73, tipped a 1/2".  I've pretty much fit myself for the settings on the Vapor Flex 440.  I like where it is now (9.5*, weight pod forward), but the shorter drives still had too high of a launch angle and, subsequently, too  much spin.  The better drives had a better flight.  

Thoughts?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Had several Indian/Arrow moments in my latest round. Playing with the Nike Vapor 440 Flex, which I'm falling back in love with. Several drives were in the 225 to 230 range, several of the better ones - ones that I would consider "normal" - were in the 245 to 255 range. One was about 270 and one - NOT downhill or wind aided - was 302. (Okay, it hit a downhill bump and got a little help, but give an old man a break).

Arrow or Indian? Were the 225 to 230 drives because the club wasn't right for me, or because the swings were off? And would a more forgiving driver have helped any? Would my normal drives had been longer if the driver was truly "fit?"

For the record, the shaft was fit for me - Fuji Pro Tour Spec 73, tipped a 1/2". I've pretty much fit myself for the settings on the Vapor Flex 440. I like where it is now (9.5*, weight pod forward), but the shorter drives still had too high of a launch angle and, subsequently, too much spin. The better drives had a better flight.

Thoughts?

Your honesty here is refreshing - how many folks out there would have summed all if that up with a proud "I hit my driver 302" statement?

I truly believe that it's the indian - if we consistently hit 300+ we'd all be on the pga tour! Which begs the question - how the heck does anyone know that a particular driver gets them an extra 4 yards??? Which begs another question - if you can truly define the 4 yard difference, is it worth $125 per yard???

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Had several Indian/Arrow moments in my latest round. Playing with the Nike Vapor 440 Flex, which I'm falling back in love with. Several drives were in the 225 to 230 range, several of the better ones - ones that I would consider "normal" - were in the 245 to 255 range. One was about 270 and one - NOT downhill or wind aided - was 302. (Okay, it hit a downhill bump and got a little help, but give an old man a break).

Arrow or Indian? Were the 225 to 230 drives because the club wasn't right for me, or because the swings were off? And would a more forgiving driver have helped any? Would my normal drives had been longer if the driver was truly "fit?"

For the record, the shaft was fit for me - Fuji Pro Tour Spec 73, tipped a 1/2". I've pretty much fit myself for the settings on the Vapor Flex 440. I like where it is now (9.5*, weight pod forward), but the shorter drives still had too high of a launch angle and, subsequently, too much spin. The better drives had a better flight.

Thoughts?

I'm going "Indian". (Save your Cultural Appropriation takes...)

I've played with you. I know your driver miss is the high straight ball. Mine is the dead left pull.

The '302' shows that you've got that potential. I've shot 79 and 77 this summer. My handi is 11.8. GHIN didn't even want to take those scores! However, I did shoot them; they're attested. I just can't do it every time or even very often. Just like you & I hitting our driver 302.

IMO, the main thing is consistency. Do I get the same ball flight & approx distance when I make a reasonably good swing? This is why we get fit, eh?

BTW: EXCELLENT thread.  THIS is why I'm an MGS fan!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Yep - this is it.  Sometimes we juste WANT a new driver. 

Another way of looking at it -- maybe the 917 isn't supposed to be an upgrade for 915 users.  Maybe it's there to compete against the new Callaways, TaylorMades and Cobras. I think that's part of the equation. Sure they'd love it if everyone who gamed a 915 turned them in and bought 917's, and I'm sure some will, but I believe in the big picture it's a product designed to compete with the F&B's of the 2017 models of the other guys and aimed at anyone who is looking to buy a new driver for 2017.  

I think this is a really great point that most don't realize.  I have several friends who have 915's that have gone to a Titleist Thursday for a fitting (something that wasn't available during the launch of the 915 line I believe.  Most have seen a few yards improvement in the numbers.  From there it became a matter if it was worth the $500 for a few yards or more likely "new and shiny"

But for me this was my first venture with a Titleist driver, as I had "tried" them before, meaning hitting a friends or a demo in a big box store and didn't get good results from them.   But I wanted to see if the 917 with a proper fitting was better than my current Callaway or Nike.   It proved to be in both cases.   FWIW, I went through a Callaway fitting for the XR16 as well. 

I completely believe in fitting every club in the bag to achieve peak performance.  However, if I am required by the design characteristics of a golf club, to be fit at a super exclusive (read "Expensive" and "Exclusive") to achieve this type of performance... It seems self defeating.  

It could be by design..  Makes it easier to improve each model if only 2-5% of players are properly fit.

Just to be fair, the Titleist Thursday's aren't exclusive or expensive.  They are free and open to anyone.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I truly believe that it's the indian - if we consistently hit 300+ we'd all be on the pga tour! Which begs the question - how the heck does anyone know that a particular driver gets them an extra 4 yards??? Which begs another question - if you can truly define the 4 yard difference, is it worth $125 per yard???

Adam Rehberg from Bridgestone had an interesting comment when we were talking about the new e6 ball -- he said yeh, it's the Indian and not the Arrow, but the right arrow can sure help.  He was talking about ball fitting in general and the new e6 in particular, but I think it applies to clubs.  I have a set of irons fit for me - shafts, grips and lie angle - and a set that's off the rack.  I can play well or crappy with either set, but with the fit set the distances are more consistent - and a touch longer - accuracy is butter and the bad swings and hits just aren't quite as bad.  Wedges, in particular, are very different -- the fit wedges produce better "good" shots than the non-fit set.

Usually.

None of us are perfect ball strikers -- that's why we don't play this game for a living. Properly fit clubs won't turn a 20 hcp into a 5 instantly, but at least the arrows won't be holding you back.  

Clubs vs. lessons/lessons vs. clubs? Lessons first, sure - but clubs that aren't fighting you don't hurt either.

And thinking about drivers -- sometimes drivers just get into my head.  "I can't hit this thing right now, so let me switch to something else." I use the Callaway Big Bertha Mini when that happens, or just stick with the Ping G 3 wood off the tee.  When I played Pebble last month I never took the driver out of the bag - it was Ping G all the way. 

And not for nuthin' -- aliens8mycow might be the screen name of the year!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Just to be fair, the Titleist Thursday's aren't exclusive or expensive.  They are free and open to anyone.   

I understand that Titleist Thursdays are a terrific resource for some players, but still do not offer the kind of detailed fitting that I believe in necessary to unlock the true potential of this product. All of the possible options are just not going to be available.

Also, I just visited www.titleist.com/thursdays to see how close one would be to me, or some of my golfing buddies in Ashland, 150 miles south.  The nearest location to us is in Portland Oregon.  That is a 2 hour drive from here, and at least a 5 hour trip from southern Oregon.  That means 4-10 hours of driving, meals, gas...  Not a trivial thing.  

I am not trying to convince people that the 917 is bad of good. I just wanted to start a conversation about driver fitting, and how much is too much. What is reasonable?

Should your local shop guy with a launch monitor and a decent knowledge of ball flight and a complete fitting cart be able to optimize a given driver for 80% of players? Or should we be required to visit specialized fitters with lots of after market shafts, and spend extra $$$ to optimize our $500 drivers?

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I understand that Titleist Thursdays are a terrific resource for some players, but still do not offer the kind of detailed fitting that I believe in necessary to unlock the true potential of this product. All of the possible options are just not going to be available.

Also, I just visited www.titleist.com/thursdays to see how close one would be to me, or some of my golfing buddies in Ashland, 150 miles south.  The nearest location to us is in Portland Oregon.  That is a 2 hour drive from here, and at least a 5 hour trip from southern Oregon.  That means 4-10 hours of driving, meals, gas...  Not a trivial thing.  

I am not trying to convince people that the 917 is bad of good. I just wanted to start a conversation about driver fitting, and how much is too much. What is reasonable?

Should your local shop guy with a launch monitor and a decent knowledge of ball flight and a complete fitting cart be able to optimize a given driver for 80% of players? Or should we be required to visit specialized fitters with lots of after market shafts, and spend extra $$$ to optimize our $500 drivers?

You mean I'm not optimized?   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You mean I'm not optimized?   ;)

You sir, are as optimal as possible...

;)

Oh no I get you.  And my last post was a lot more abbreviated than I meant it to be.  Someone walked in my office just as I was typing it and said "do you have a moment" by that they meant 30 minutes.LOL

Yep,  I realize the TT's weren't accessible for everyone by location this year.   I guess we were lucky in our area where there were two or three locations that they rotated between every few weeks, so it was pretty convenient.   Also I understand your larger point, that any experienced club fitter should be able to fit someone to any driver on the market.  

I have to be careful to not come off as an unabashed Titleist fan, when in fact there are lots of great drivers and irons out there, it's just this year I seemed to fall into so much of their stuff that worked for me, and once I started dropping strokes from my HC and the count of Titleist clubs in my bag increased, I couldn't help but tie them together :)

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

.  Someone walked in my office just as I was typing it and said "do you have a moment" by that they meant 30 minutes.LOL

I live this everyday. Except I have no door, or office. Just a desk in the middle of the golf shop..  Makes it pretty tough to GSD some days.

I tend to think that we've lost touch with reality in the golf world...

Toyota releases a new Camry every year, but how many people get a new Camry every year expecting it to be vastly superior to last year's Camry? You get a new car when you need (or possibly want) one - same should hold true for golf clubs.

For example, I play Titleist 712MB irons. No reason to get new ones until these wear out. They are very similar to the 680's or 695's or whatever, and I'm sure that the 716's are no different either. When they wear out, I'll buy whatever number Titleist has on their MB's that year.

I saw this a few days ago and meant to reply. This may be he best summary I've seen of the craziness that takes place in the golf world.

I have a friend that carries a +2. I'm fairly certain he could hit the sweet spot on an actual butter knife, and shoot even par with my 7 year old daughter's clubs. He STILL goes out and buys the newest Callaway driver every year like clockwork because he feels obligated to.

Long story short, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Just saying info like this is exactly why I'm thrilled to have become a member of MGS. Awesome stuff!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

For whatever its worth. 

I fit a customer into a 917 driver on Friday.  The process entailed a 15 min warmup period, followed by a 90 min session of trial and error with swapping heads/shafts/hosel positions/weight positions.  In the end, we decided that the 917D3 was slightly more accurate than his 913D3 I fit him for 4 years ago.  There was no statistical improvement in total yards, only a slight improvement in trajectory and accuracy.  

It should be noted that this customer walked in wanting to buy this exact driver, and would not consider trying anything else.  

For whatever its worth. 

I fit a customer into a 917 driver on Friday.  The process entailed a 15 min warmup period, followed by a 90 min session of trial and error with swapping heads/shafts/hosel positions/weight positions.  In the end, we decided that the 917D3 was slightly more accurate than his 913D3 I fit him for 4 years ago.  There was no statistical improvement in total yards, only a slight improvement in trajectory and accuracy.  

It should be noted that this customer walked in wanting to buy this exact driver, and would not consider trying anything else.  

Since when did "trial and error" become an integral part of the fitting process? In 90 minutes, just about anyone could swap enough head and shaft combinations and satisfy themselves that  their driving was a "slight" improvement. 

Since when did "trial and error" become an integral part of the fitting process? In 90 minutes, just about anyone could swap enough head and shaft combinations and satisfy themselves that  their driving was a "slight" improvement. 

Yep..  I'm a blind pig.

For whatever its worth. 

Did I miss it??  Did you write this exact same post last spring when I bought the JGR?   :ph34r:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I couldn't agree more with your assessment MmmmmBuddy. 

The thing is though, you could do a direct comparison between the old and new model of pretty much every OEM and see the same difference between them. The idea is though that we are all leaving performance on the table without a proper fitting. If the guys who went for this fitting were all professionally fit in a similar fashion for the 915 and they were able to see gains with the 917, that's actually impressive. It shows they made a better driver. Especially if the people that were sent were low handicappers (or capable with the driver). With a perfect swing and dead center contact on one driver to the next, the differences are going to be nothing but marginal.

The real difference though is your off center strikes. I haven't read the thread with the fitting yet, but did they show impact groupings and how that effected the player from driver to driver? The thing is that we all have a perfect setup with CG location, shaft, loft and spin models that fit us the best. Let's say we were brand loyal and bought one driver for years that didn't fit that ideal model and then we went for a fitting, were open minded, and happened to find one that better lined up with our natural requirements out of a driver. THAT is where a golfer is going to see a massive gain. Finding the ideal setup no matter brand preferences. It sounds like these guys found that with Titleist and simply performed similarly with the new product.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Wouldn't a golfer who is looking to get fit, have to have consistency to make the fitting even worth it?  How could a fitter sucessfully do his job if Joe Smo is hacking it all over the ball park.   I've always wonder where you draw the line between fittiable and don't waste ya money on it.

Cleveland

Wouldn't a golfer who is looking to get fit, have to have consistency to make the fitting even worth it?  How could a fitter sucessfully do his job if Joe Smo is hacking it all over the ball park.   I've always wonder where you draw the line between fittiable and don't waste ya money on it.

I'm more of the mind set that anyone can and should be fit.  What that entails may differ, and the expected outcome may differ, but at the end of the day I truly believe getting fit can benefit anyone.

I also am always amazed at fitting how much more consistent out swings actually are compared to what we thing they are.  A miss doesn't have to be that far off before you see a completely different result, but for the most part we deliver the club to the ball in a pretty consistent fashion.  It's about fitting the overall tendencies rather than the one off pure strikes.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm more of the mind set that anyone can and should be fit.  What that entails may differ, and the expected outcome may differ, but at the end of the day I truly believe getting fit can benefit anyone.

I also am always amazed at fitting how much more consistent out swings actually are compared to what we thing they are.  A miss doesn't have to be that far off before you see a completely different result, but for the most part we deliver the club to the ball in a pretty consistent fashion.  It's about fitting the overall tendencies rather than the one off pure strikes.

Now ya cooking with Crisco.   If a fitter can help a golfer with his God given swing, then he is worth his/her weight in gold.

Cleveland

Hcky, I was mentally writing my response to that question until I read yours, which was exactly the same as mine. Haha.

The biggest take away that a lot of golfers just don't understand is how consistent we all are with our swing. No matter the handicap, your body intuitively knows how to move in a certain way. We present consistent numbers to the ball based on what we bring to the table, and it's the fitters job to decipher those tendencies and then prescribe the perfect combination of clubs to work in harmony with what you present. That's a fitting/fitter's job in a nutshell.

With that being said you CAN change the numbers that are presented to the ball (say your path from out to in to in to out) and that for the most part will only effect your lie angle requirements and/or your dynamic loft. Both of those can be corrected through bending the irons though, and really you would have to make some major changes for that to happen. But it wouldn't effect which shaft, head, swing weight, etc would fit you the best!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Hcky, I was mentally writing my response to that question until I read yours, which was exactly the same as mine. Haha.

The biggest take away that a lot of golfers just don't understand is how consistent we all are with our swing. No matter the handicap, your body intuitively knows how to move in a certain way. We present consistent numbers to the ball based on what we bring to the table, and it's the fitters job to decipher those tendencies and then prescribe the perfect combination of clubs to work in harmony with what you present. That's a fitting/fitter's job in a nutshell.

With that being said you CAN change the numbers that are presented to the ball (say your path from out to in to in to out) and that for the most part will only effect your lie angle requirements and/or your dynamic loft. Both of those can be corrected through bending the irons though, and really you would have to make some major changes for that to happen. But it wouldn't effect which shaft, head, swing weight, etc would fit you the best!

. What? Every time i go to simulator I get different numbers.Also with many others that I know who use it.I beg to differ

. What? Every time i go to simulator I get different numbers.Also with many others that I know who use it.I beg to differ

Not sure if you've been fit before by a quality/competent fitter.  Or if you've been on a trackman or other quality launch monitor.  But that is where you are going to see it.

I can go to a local sim and get different results all day as well.  But on a quality launch monitor we are going to see that the misses are actually pretty small and I deliver the club to the ball in generally the same manner every time.  A good fitter is going to see those tendencies and be able to put a product in my hand that I can hit well on a consistent basis.

Back to the original post, if you've been fit for your current driver AND it's a good fit, it's going to be hard to find leaps and bounds improvement in a new club.  At best your improvement is going to be marginal, or you might not see any noticeable difference.  3 years ago I was fit for a SLDR, it's a great fit for me.  I've tried time and time again to replace it, but nothing has given me a noticeable improvement.  When you find the right combination for your swing it's hard to drastically improve on that without some sort of swing change.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

In my case, the adjustability did come into play. I have been custom fit for over 5 years and it has been my experience that the fitter did dial me in better but it was usually the loft that he messed with to get better spin numbers. I never had him touch the lie. Once I was fit to optimal numbers indoors I would go outside and play. For the most part they were spot on

I've enjoyed catching up on this thread. I'm sure that I posted this early on but I will bring it back. I went for a driver fitting last spring. About an hour in the fitter said, that's why the OEMs aren't selling new clubs.

With everything we tried we found a couple of yards indoors on a track man over my current driver. It wasn't likely to hold because I've been using it for two years and am comfortable with it.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived