TESTERS WANTED! ×

1971 Masters Champion - Charles Coody

PlaidJacket

I played a fun little charity tournament Saturday at Diamondback Golf Club in Abilene, Texas. The day before me a few of my regular golf buddies played a match. Diamondback is not just "another" West Texas course. This jewel of a course was designed, built, and operated by 1971 Masters Champion Charles Coody. Charles designed this course to be fun and challenging for all playing abilities. Including mine! The course is situated on terrain you would consider rolling with good elevation changes. The property is placed among native mesquite and oak. The course is not tricked-up and is laid out in front of you. However, that doesn't at all mean it's not a challenge. The fairways are wide and receptive to well placed shots. You can even get away with a few misses if not too wild. Many fairways slope one way or another requiring you to think. There are several forced carries along the way but those too are encountered fairly; by design The layout has a creek or two that meander throughout the course providing challenges and visual interest. The bent greens are maintained in very good condition and are speedy and true. Each of the greens have a variety of challenging "get-able" pin placements. Good putting is rewarded. If any of you live in the area/region get your buddies and go play this course some weekend. Plan an overnight stay so you can play at least two rounds. I live about 2 hours west of Abilene but try and visit Diamondback at least 4 times a year.

On Friday when me and my buds played our match Coody and his cronies were playing behind us. After our round and while we were mingling around the carts and settling our bets; Charles and his buds pulled up. I'm sure they were settling bets too as I saw a few wallets on display. After they were finished Coody's buddies went on their way and so we started introducing ourselves and talking to him. This was my second time meeting him there at the course. He's always friendly and willing to talk a bit. He usually takes a peek at what's in your bag and compliments your equipment. We all acknowledged how we love playing his course and appreciate the condition he keeps it in. Later and after we broke up and headed out to the car one of my friends said he'd asked one of Coody's pals what he'd (Charles) shot. The reply was 75. Not bad for a guy 79 years old.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

Great story! 

I remember Coody very well.  Solid player

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How cool was that!!  Great to hear he is so approachable and friendly.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great read and it's pretty cool to have been in the presence of one of the Master's champs! 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived