TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Fairway wood and shaft ideas?

Mizuno2

I need or should say want a new fairway wood and shaft combo. My current fairway wood is an Adams Tight Lies 16* with fubuki tour 73 xflex. I am looking at replacing it with something more for off the tee and maybe add a 5 wood for the fairway.

I am also curious as to everyone's opinion as too having the same shaft for the driver as the fairway woods but just maybe different weight?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Fairway wood for primarily off the tee? Would be hard to beat the Tour Edge Exotics line. You can can probably find the e8 Beta for a steal right now. Used to have it, but the M2 beat it out off the tee and off the deck. M2 is still $250 while you can probably snag the e8 Beta for half that.

Shafts can definitely be the same, but the normal way of thinking is you'd want your fairway wood shafts to be a little heavier than your driver shaft (about 10 grams)

I just gave up my SLDR 3 wood for an m1 5 wood. I hit the SLDR 3 wood too far (265 - with roll) compared to the Driver (278 - with roll) and the courses I normally play. It was a low spin beast! Paired with a Diamana S+ 70. I also play a diamana S+ 60 in my driver. The SLDR just isn't as forgiving as the M1 and the 5 wood is great off the deck and the tee. Now I finally have a 235 club! Hope this helps.

You and me and the devil makes three...

TM 2017 M2 9.5 | Fuji Atmos Black TS 6S
TM 2016 M1 19* Diamana S+ 70S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-Gw PX LZ 5.5 2 Flat
Cleveland RTX3 52, 56, 60 TT S400 2 Flat
Evnroll ER2 34"

I have a Ping Anser with a speeder 757 x flex set at 14, and just got a Wilson FG5 with Speeder Evolution Tour Spec xflex. I might just set the Wilson on highest loft and drop the driver for a bit carry 2 3w. Anser is quite a bit longer when set at similar loft.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

My XR is awesome! I have a 70g shaft in my driver and 82 in the fwy. I play the Diamana D+ in X and it's awesome. XR fairways are way cheap right now on Callaway golf preowned.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

If you keep your Adams 16*, then you can do away with a 5W and add an extra wedge.........what's wrong with the 16* Adams?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If you keep your Adams 16*, then you can do away with a 5W and add an extra wedge.........what's wrong with the 16* Adams?

I just want something different just not playing well with it

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

One of the best clubs in my bag the past few years was the Optiforce 5w in the standard pxi 5.5 shaft.   I don't currently have it in the bag now.  But based on the 917 15 degree 3W  I just picked up, if I was going to add a 5w again, I'd strongly look at the 917 5W

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Recommended by fellow spies here: X2Hot Deep (easier off the tee than off the deck, but still manageable). Stock Aldila Tour Green 75 worked great for me and I play a Fubuki alpha 65 in my driver.

Brought my spin down and it's my 230-240 yard club now.

I had the Tight Lies as well and it robbed me off distance (launching too high with too much spin).

GBB, XR Pro, M2, XTD so many choices for a 5W... I'm also looking for something that doesn't break the bank :D

EDIT: I used to dislike Callaway so much and now have so much of their stuff in my bag :P

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If you like the feel of the shaft, then there wouldn't be any reason why you couldn't use the same shaft in the 5W.  You may need to get a heavier shaft since it's going to be shorter going into a 5W.  Get fitted by a good fitter if possible.  As for recommendations on a 5W in no particular order,  M1/M2, Titleist 917, and the Callaway Big Bertha Fusion would all be good candidates.  It just depends on what your looking for in a 5W. 

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Try the Cobra Baffler....it's a 4W-5W with rails on the bottom.  Very easy to hit off the deck and the launch is high.  

f6-baff-fwy-hero.jpgf6-baff-fwy-address.jpgf6-baff-fwy-toe.jpgf6-baff-fwy-face.jpg

http://www.cobragolf.com/king-f6-baffler-fairway

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I can tell you I have the Callaway XR16 3W/5W and they are rocket ships. Both are shafted with the HZRDOUS Red shafts which while they are in the same line as my driver (I play HZRDOUS Yellow) they're not the same. From what I was told by a professional is that it usually doesn't make sense to play the same shaft in your fairway as your driver. But it all just depends on the golfer.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I can tell you I have the Callaway XR16 3W/5W and they are rocket ships. Both are shafted with the HZRDOUS Red shafts which while they are in the same line as my driver (I play HZRDOUS Yellow) they're not the same. From what I was told by a professional is that it usually doesn't make sense to play the same shaft in your fairway as your driver. But it all just depends on the golfer.

+1 on the XR. Just picked one up with a Tour Issue Matrix RUL and it is a beast. Two swings and my beloved 3 Deep was on the bench.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

They really are just a kickass fairway wood.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

If you're looking for an option off the tee then maybe a mini driver or stronger 3 wood would work well for you. The Callaway Mini 1.5 is solid. Until recently I was using a Bridgestone J15 3+ wood and it's a beast off the tee. However I ended up switching to the M2 3 wood as it's just as long and it a little easier off the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone on there opinions of the callaway woods. They have really stepped up there game since the xhot. I used to have an xhot pro with an aerotech driver shaft and I loved it. I regret getting rid of it.

Archived