Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putting help

Wedgie

What are your thoughts on putters with no alignment marks of any kind? I covered my anser #4 line and seem to putt much more consistently. So much so I'm thinking of getting a Wilson 8802.

Any input is appreciated!

Wedgie

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

This is all player preference. i used to think I always putted better with a line on the flange of my putter but I just switched to a Nike Method 001 with only the sight dot and have been putting lights out 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Mine are torched to a dark purple (basically black) with all of the paint fill blacked out. I feel distracted by lines and dots. If I ever have the chance to have one made, it will have no lines or dots at all.

I have not tried one before but it's hard to find something without alignment. I'd like to try a Versa as well but the newer stuff has alignment. I have a fairly strong arc stroke.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Might be worth a try - the new milled 8802's are sweet! Even the old ones (if you can find one that's not beat up) feel great. Just a little too much out front for me.

Thanks, I'll check them both out. What did you mean by "a little too much out front"? Close too much leading to pulls?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I know this is a little different than what you are asking, but I use the line on my putter, not the ball. It started with the thinking that if I could learn to putt without using the line on the ball, when I switch to using the line, I'd be lights out. Well, I can't putt with the line on the ball. Way better, not using it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks, I'll check them both out. What did you mean by "a little too much out front"? Close too much leading to pulls?

Yes - I use Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1 & 2 putters (only difference is 1/2 shaft of offset - I switch depending on how I'm putting). The 8802 or napa style have just a bit more toe hang than I'm used to. I love the style, but just can't get comfortable with them.

Here one MGS posted on twitter a while ago, would love to know when this bad boy becomes available. attachicon.gifIMG_1479173742.353831.jpg

I'd like to see more of that too!

I'd like to see more of that too!

Apparently it's someone at MGS that has designed and is making these, just not sure if they are available yet, I saw this posted about 8 weeks ago, perhaps one of the official MGS spy's can shed some more details on this one, I'd be interested in getting one myself.

It's preference but for me I'll take any help I can get when it comes to that stupid putter!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I have not tried one before but it's hard to find something without alignment. I'd like to try a Versa as well but the newer stuff has alignment. I have a fairly strong arc stroke.

When you say: "fairly strong arc" shouldn't that be your first criterion in choosing a putter???

E.g. you may not want one that's optimizes for straight back and through stroke just because it's 'clean' on top...

Plus there's always colored sharpies and black electrical tape ;-)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I have tended to use a lot of putters with different alignments.  The first i can remember for me is the original two ball, since I've used the SeeMore RST, the Ping Ug-LEE or however it was spelled...ha  Several Variations of the Number 7 style.   

I'll be testing the EvnRoll putter and am curious to see how it's aliment works for me. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I too found zero alignment marks work wonders for me. Check out the Edel Brick putter. No alignment marks and torque balanced.

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

Thanks for all the input guys. I think my search is more about putters without alignment AIDS more than anything. I'll check out the brick, 8802 and versa #9 pre alignment AIDS and keep you posted. Not sure why spell check is capitalizing AIDS but I don't judge.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Do you really like the anser 4? If it has the line in the cavity like this pic, that could be milled off (had it done on a SC Newport).

IMG_1479260842.166869.jpg

If you just want a change, and the alignment stuff is the only real deal breaker, you have some leads, or have one made to your specs for about $500 or so.

I really do like the Anser 4 and that is great advice. The pic is exactly what I'd like to do. Now I need to find someone that can do it. You've been a huge help alien.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

continentalgolf.net - they are awesome.

They could mill the bottom of the cavity to make the line go away, clean up the nicks, and bead blast the whole thing.

... Most do not realize that they see the line either horizontally or vertically. You either see a line running thru your putter and to the hole or you see the line as perpendicular to the line kinda like a hockey stick hitting a puck. If you see the line perpendicular, you will be distracted by sight lines. Some putters try and cover both by a vertical and horizontal sightline's distracting both type putters. 

... I see the line as perpendicular and also prefer a clean putter head. With a strong arc, I have always used an 8802 style putter and currently using a Bettinardi BB2. My favorite was a Bobby Grace 6330, clean and a slightly wider flange than most 8802 style putters. Alas it was stolen when I was in LA and I have been looking for a replacement ever since. Finally a pristine one showed up on Bobby's website and I immediately bought it. He called a few days later to tell me it had already been sold to a head pro at a prestigious golf course. Hmmmm, suspicious at best. However, he went above and beyond by taking a 6313 with both sightline's (the identical head to the 6330) an he is going to fill in the sightless and refinish to look like the 6330. Crazy cool customer service. Fwiw, he says the sightlined 6313 outsold the 6330 by a very wide margin. He also said those that prefer no sightline's are very specific and loyal to a clean head and no compromise is possible for those of us in that camp. Amen brother. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Archived