Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Driver Vs Driver - The Final Two

GolfSpy Barbajo

D v D.png

Anyone watch last night's episode?

I thought it would be lame, but it was interesting to see the "celebs" try the clubs. Was impressed with Willie Robertson's swing - seems like he spends some time on the range as well as in the swamps.  Josh Beckett had the best swing, but the guy I'd love to play 18 with would have to be Herm Edwards, with Kevin Millar as close second.

So, who are you puling for?  Didn't think I'd care this much, but they're doing a good job of building the suspense.  I wish they'd have showed more of the down and dirty design stuff, but I'm guessing that - while some might find it fascinating - the larger audience might have been bored to tears by it.  

Really looking forward to the finale!

16-2413_DvD_Finale_Tune_In_WB_Nov15_650x650.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Forgot to mention -- 

Wilson is announcing a Driver vs. Driver sweepstakes, giving away a custom driver fitting, a trip to the Reunion Resort in Florida and tickets to Bay Hill.

Orlando, Fla. – Nov. 16, 2016— Avid golfers and travelers are just one swing away from a legendary golf getaway thanks to a new partnership between Reunion Resort, A Salamander Golf and Spa Resort, and one of the most iconic names in golf, Wilson Sporting Goods.

In the sweepstakes, Reunion Resort participates as the grand prize trip giveaway, incentivizing followers to demo the 2017 “Driver VS Driver” product through February 1 at area “Driver VS Driver” demo events for the chance to win a four-night / five-day trip for two to the championship resort from March 11-15, 2017. The package includes daily breakfast, a custom 2017 Wilson driver fitting, and one complimentary round of golf. The winner also receives two practice round passes to the Bay Hill tournament with a meet and greet from Kevin Streelman – two-time PGA TOUR winner, Wilson Advisory Staff member, and one of the “Driver VS Driver” judges.

“A partnership between our brands was destined, as both Reunion and Wilson attract the traditional golfer,” said Carlton Grant, General Manager at Reunion Resort. “Through our understanding of golfers' needs and unprecedented ability of capturing the comradery of golf's competitive spirit, we've together developed an initiative that appeals to our valued audiences – those who love the great game of golf.”

On November 11, the brands co-launched an email and demo-driven contest to promote awareness of the new Wilson 2017 driver developed on GolfChannel series, “Driver VS Driver” – a seven-episode series following eleven teams as they compete against each other to produce the winning design for Wilson Golf's 2017 driver.

The “Driver VS Driver” sweepstakes runs until Feb.1, 2017, the day in which the winner will be announced. Visit http://www.DriverVsDriver.comto view all rules and participate. 

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I said this back in October,  The Pivot is the only driver with retail possibility  

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17454-driver-vs-driver-which-do-you-like/?p=231501

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson bought or licensed the technology from the Triton to use in a training aid.....  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

have it DVR'ed, probably watch it tonight....curious to see what the performance looks like, have they talked much about the shafts?   That can make such a difference, I wonder if both models are using the same shaft

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I agree with Nic that the Pivot has a better retail chance, but I prefer the Triton, both in name and in carbon fiber sole plate coolness.

There is the possibility that both drivers make it to retail at some point...   A little something for everyone...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

There is the possibility that both drivers make it to retail at some point...   A little something for everyone...

I think that they would need a bunch of focus group info with the Triton to take the risk on the look at address. Even if the alignment stripe works, it'll turn off people.

regardless of outcome, kudos to Wilson for building a huge amount of buzz about their new driver. Way more than I remember in the past. Curious how many non-gearhead golfers will wander into shops looking for the winner.

"Do you have the WS Triton?"

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

watched last nights show....couple observations:

1. I call BS that everyone of these celebrities were hitting 300, 320, 360 yd drives....that have to be inflating those numbers....look at Herm Edwards swing, no way he was hitting the ball 280+...tell me if I'm wrong

2. Why are they not putting these drivers on a swing robot w/ launch monitor and looking at the numbers?  Maybe that part of the show won't appeal to the masses, but I would be more interested in that personally

3. I think if they put the Triton's alignment aid on the Pivot...that would make the best driver.......I predict the Pivot will win

Just my 2 cents, I do love the show though

also, I wish they would actually show the weight system under the Pivot's plate, maybe I missed it, but I've never seen the plate off.....same with the Triton, it has movable weights but they haven't really shown/discussed them.....I guess I'm just a golf nerd, I'd rather hear more about their tech than see the duck dynasty guy hitting balls on the range

watched last nights show....couple observations:

1. I call BS that everyone of these celebrities were hitting 300, 320, 360 yd drives....that have to be inflating those numbers....look at Herm Edwards swing, no way he was hitting the ball 280+...tell me if I'm wrong

2. Why are they not putting these drivers on a swing robot w/ launch monitor and looking at the numbers? Maybe that part of the show won't appeal to the masses, but I would be more interested in that personally

3. I think if they put the Triton's alignment aid on the Pivot...that would make the best driver.......I predict the Pivot will win

Just my 2 cents, I do love the show though

Tahoe has some altitude, so that helps. And Beckett's swing is first rate. These guys are world class athletes, so I'm guessing they can hit the ball a little

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Tahoe has some altitude, so that helps. And Beckett's swing is first rate. These guys are world class athletes, so I'm guessing they can hit the ball a little

ahh...maybe the altitude was helping a bit.....Beckett and Gagne had big swings, I could see them hitting it 300+, some of the others, not so much......still like the show though

My only thought on the Triton is that the CF sole is cool but hasn't the racing stripe been done by Ping with limited success?

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

wait a minute....you can buy EITHER of these from Wilson right now!?! so there's only 1 winner but they are selling both i guess....i did not know this1479342323027.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

wait a minute....you can buy EITHER of these from Wilson right now!?! so there's only 1 winner but they are selling both i guess....i did not know thisattachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-11-16-19-23-54.png

my mistake....i reread it...you preorder and get whichever driver wins....think i would rather know which one i am getting first...does come w special headcover signed by urlacher and streelman

No, you are basically placing a preorder for the driver that is unveiled as the winner.

thanks jluke

i really like WilsonStaff, and i hope they sell a million of them....but at $450, i believe that makes it the most expensive major brand driver (not counting pxg because you cant walk into most stores and get those)

i really like WilsonStaff, and i hope they sell a million of them....but at $450, i believe that makes it the most expensive major brand driver (not counting pxg because you cant walk into most stores and get those)

M1 and other major brands top line drivers start at 499 when they are launched

M1 and other major brands top line drivers start at 499 when they are launched

M1 is 400 now, so when its released it will be, i believe

Wilson has the D300 coming out soon. They will choose the Pivot (I hate that name) because it will be the player driver to replace the FG tour. Plus one Harrington endorsed that one, it was a done deal in my mind. I just don't see the consumer looking at a white or silver stripe running down the crown of their driver.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

My Pro Shop already has the display for the winner and ordered a dozen of the winner.  We'll get to see them soon....Nov 22nd is just next week.  My guess is the Pivot will win.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 year later...

Hi All, My name is Jon. I work for EOS 3D printing and we supported Wilson in Driver vs Driver this year. We provided the 3D printed Ti clubs hit by the tour pros. 

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Happy to help: https://golfweek.com/2018/10/14/golf-on-tv-reality-series-offers-viewers-a-class-in-drivers-ed/

Hi All, My name is Jon. I work for EOS 3D printing and we supported Wilson in Driver vs Driver this year. We provided the 3D printed Ti clubs hit by the tour pros. 
Happy to help: https://golfweek.com/2018/10/14/golf-on-tv-reality-series-offers-viewers-a-class-in-drivers-ed/

Thanks Walker. I saw the EOS process in yesterday’s episode. It’s simply amazing that you can create a drivable Head with a printer.

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Couple of questions:

1. Since the moveable weighting Systems weren’t functional, were they set to any particular setting prior to printing?

2. Was there any weighting or other adjustments after printing to optimize the drivers?

3. Were he players asked to hold back any? The swing speeds shown during the episodes seemed low.

4. Maybe I missed it, but how long did it take to print the heads?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Couple of questions:

1. Since the moveable weighting Systems weren’t functional, were they set to any particular setting prior to printing?

2. Was there any weighting or other adjustments after printing to optimize the drivers?

3. Were he players asked to hold back any? The swing speeds shown during the episodes seemed low.

4. Maybe I missed it, but how long did it take to print the heads?

I thought they said that turnaround is 24-48 hours.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Archived