Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Vs Driver - The Final Two

GolfSpy Barbajo

On 10/17/2018 at 10:46 AM, fozcycle said:

Thanks Walker. I saw the EOS process in yesterday’s episode. It’s simply amazing that you can create a drivable Head with a printer.

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks. One thing to make clear? The goal of this project was to make an "iteration 1" prototype. This is a minimal viable product to get a benchmark for how each design performs. We did not try to build a late stage prototype or a retail grade product. We could have done that, but it was not the purpose. If you wondered why the Trackman numbers seemed low, this is why. 

On 10/17/2018 at 12:45 PM, cnosil said:

Couple of questions:

1. Since the moveable weighting Systems weren’t functional, were they set to any particular setting prior to printing?

2. Was there any weighting or other adjustments after printing to optimize the drivers?

3. Were he players asked to hold back any? The swing speeds shown during the episodes seemed low.

4. Maybe I missed it, but how long did it take to print the heads?

1. Wilson / The Contestant would have made those choices. We worked off CAD files with static weight chips. I would assume everything was set to "neutral".

2. Not really. Wilson had to machine out the ID of the hosel to set the clubs up for proper mounting. Per my earlier comments, this was designed to be a minimal viable product and finished product. There's that we could have done if it was required, but it didn't make sense for the sequence of the show and where we were featured. 

3. No. I am Jon and was featured on TV for this episode. Although they only showed us at the lab, I was at the AZ shoot. No one held back. It was quite the opposite, I think they would have gotten a kick out of fracturing the face on one of our clubs. If any of the trackman numbers looked wonky, it's because this was just an early stage prototype. 

4. I actually forgot the exact time, haha. I think we built 4 clubs at a time and that build took 20 hours? If we had used a bigger model machine, we could have probably done 6 at once. After the build, the parts needed to be cut off the building plate, machined (drilled) for the shaft, and that was basically it. A key thing to note is that we built these as 1 piece. There was NOT a separate crown, sole, and face like a production club. The one exception was the model with the composite crown. We separately 3D printed a Nylon / Composite hybrid material for a crown and glued it on. The face, sole, and mounting area for the crown were built as a unibody.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:08 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

Anyway to merge this with the DVD season 2 thread ?? That way we can discuss this info in the same place. 

I tried to find that on the site and could not. I would appreciate that too!!! 

Could you send me a link to that thread?

Finally getting a chance to watch the episode with Adam and Sam. Both these guys hit the driver pretty darn good.  Fun format and show. It's about time the Nerd's behind the scene get a crack at some big prize money. 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived