GolfSpy Barbajo

Driver Vs Driver - The Final Two

Our Sponsors

D v D.png

Anyone watch last night's episode?

I thought it would be lame, but it was interesting to see the "celebs" try the clubs. Was impressed with Willie Robertson's swing - seems like he spends some time on the range as well as in the swamps.  Josh Beckett had the best swing, but the guy I'd love to play 18 with would have to be Herm Edwards, with Kevin Millar as close second.

So, who are you puling for?  Didn't think I'd care this much, but they're doing a good job of building the suspense.  I wish they'd have showed more of the down and dirty design stuff, but I'm guessing that - while some might find it fascinating - the larger audience might have been bored to tears by it.  

Really looking forward to the finale!

16-2413_DvD_Finale_Tune_In_WB_Nov15_650x650.jpg

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Forgot to mention -- 

Wilson is announcing a Driver vs. Driver sweepstakes, giving away a custom driver fitting, a trip to the Reunion Resort in Florida and tickets to Bay Hill.

Orlando, Fla. – Nov. 16, 2016— Avid golfers and travelers are just one swing away from a legendary golf getaway thanks to a new partnership between Reunion Resort, A Salamander Golf and Spa Resort, and one of the most iconic names in golf, Wilson Sporting Goods.

In the sweepstakes, Reunion Resort participates as the grand prize trip giveaway, incentivizing followers to demo the 2017 “Driver VS Driver” product through February 1 at area “Driver VS Driver” demo events for the chance to win a four-night / five-day trip for two to the championship resort from March 11-15, 2017. The package includes daily breakfast, a custom 2017 Wilson driver fitting, and one complimentary round of golf. The winner also receives two practice round passes to the Bay Hill tournament with a meet and greet from Kevin Streelman – two-time PGA TOUR winner, Wilson Advisory Staff member, and one of the “Driver VS Driver” judges.

“A partnership between our brands was destined, as both Reunion and Wilson attract the traditional golfer,” said Carlton Grant, General Manager at Reunion Resort. “Through our understanding of golfers' needs and unprecedented ability of capturing the comradery of golf's competitive spirit, we've together developed an initiative that appeals to our valued audiences – those who love the great game of golf.”

On November 11, the brands co-launched an email and demo-driven contest to promote awareness of the new Wilson 2017 driver developed on GolfChannel series, “Driver VS Driver” – a seven-episode series following eleven teams as they compete against each other to produce the winning design for Wilson Golf's 2017 driver.

The “Driver VS Driver” sweepstakes runs until Feb.1, 2017, the day in which the winner will be announced. Visit http://www.DriverVsDriver.comto view all rules and participate. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I said this back in October,  The Pivot is the only driver with retail possibility  

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17454-driver-vs-driver-which-do-you-like/?p=231501

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson bought or licensed the technology from the Triton to use in a training aid.....  

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

have it DVR'ed, probably watch it tonight....curious to see what the performance looks like, have they talked much about the shafts?   That can make such a difference, I wonder if both models are using the same shaft

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

Watched it. Awesome show. I am interested to see if Wilson pick the "players" driver vs the new technology that might be more appealing to the masses. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree with Nic that the Pivot has a better retail chance, but I prefer the Triton, both in name and in carbon fiber sole plate coolness.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I agree with Nic that the Pivot has a better retail chance, but I prefer the Triton, both in name and in carbon fiber sole plate coolness.

There is the possibility that both drivers make it to retail at some point...   A little something for everyone...

• Like 1

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

There is the possibility that both drivers make it to retail at some point...   A little something for everyone...

I think that they would need a bunch of focus group info with the Triton to take the risk on the look at address. Even if the alignment stripe works, it'll turn off people.

regardless of outcome, kudos to Wilson for building a huge amount of buzz about their new driver. Way more than I remember in the past. Curious how many non-gearhead golfers will wander into shops looking for the winner.

"Do you have the WS Triton?"

Volvo Intorqueo

watched last nights show....couple observations:

1. I call BS that everyone of these celebrities were hitting 300, 320, 360 yd drives....that have to be inflating those numbers....look at Herm Edwards swing, no way he was hitting the ball 280+...tell me if I'm wrong

2. Why are they not putting these drivers on a swing robot w/ launch monitor and looking at the numbers?  Maybe that part of the show won't appeal to the masses, but I would be more interested in that personally

3. I think if they put the Triton's alignment aid on the Pivot...that would make the best driver.......I predict the Pivot will win

Just my 2 cents, I do love the show though

• Like 1

also, I wish they would actually show the weight system under the Pivot's plate, maybe I missed it, but I've never seen the plate off.....same with the Triton, it has movable weights but they haven't really shown/discussed them.....I guess I'm just a golf nerd, I'd rather hear more about their tech than see the duck dynasty guy hitting balls on the range

• Like 1

watched last nights show....couple observations:

1. I call BS that everyone of these celebrities were hitting 300, 320, 360 yd drives....that have to be inflating those numbers....look at Herm Edwards swing, no way he was hitting the ball 280+...tell me if I'm wrong

2. Why are they not putting these drivers on a swing robot w/ launch monitor and looking at the numbers? Maybe that part of the show won't appeal to the masses, but I would be more interested in that personally

3. I think if they put the Triton's alignment aid on the Pivot...that would make the best driver.......I predict the Pivot will win

Just my 2 cents, I do love the show though

Tahoe has some altitude, so that helps. And Beckett's swing is first rate. These guys are world class athletes, so I'm guessing they can hit the ball a little

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Tahoe has some altitude, so that helps. And Beckett's swing is first rate. These guys are world class athletes, so I'm guessing they can hit the ball a little

ahh...maybe the altitude was helping a bit.....Beckett and Gagne had big swings, I could see them hitting it 300+, some of the others, not so much......still like the show though

Doesn't everyone have 280+ yard carry? :D

• Like 1

Volvo Intorqueo

My only thought on the Triton is that the CF sole is cool but hasn't the racing stripe been done by Ping with limited success?

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

They were giving these guys 30 to 40 yards of roll.

Loved when they said Herm Edward put one over 280 with his half swing

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

wait a minute....you can buy EITHER of these from Wilson right now!?! so there's only 1 winner but they are selling both i guess....i did not know this1479342323027.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

No, you are basically placing a preorder for the driver that is unveiled as the winner.

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

wait a minute....you can buy EITHER of these from Wilson right now!?! so there's only 1 winner but they are selling both i guess....i did not know thisattachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-11-16-19-23-54.png

my mistake....i reread it...you preorder and get whichever driver wins....think i would rather know which one i am getting first...does come w special headcover signed by urlacher and streelman

No, you are basically placing a preorder for the driver that is unveiled as the winner.

thanks jluke