Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

4 Iron or 4 Hybrid

My first set of clubs that I'd purchased roughly 20 years ago, had a 4 iron, and I played those (Hacking is more like it) until 5 years ago, when I purchased a new set to improve my game.  It included a 4 Hybrid (Adams)  My game actually progressed that I purchased a new set of Irons this fall, and I hesitantly went with a 4 Iron.

I've really had no time to get to range to get the feel for the new Irons, but I'm debating on going back to my 4 Hybrid. 

Any thoughts on this? My clubs are put away for the season, maybe the occasional simulator, to try some things out.  Looking for recommendations on if I should stay the course and getting back into the groove with my 4 Iron.  Back when I was a hack, I could hit a 4 Iron, but I've been spotty at best with it since putting it in the bag over a month ago.

thanks!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I've actually been thinking the last week or so about trying a hybrid-driving type of iron. Not sure what they are really called. Ping makes one and so does Cobra and Titleist I believe.

One of our members, Chisag recently made a comment about his Cobra Utility Iron. http://www.cobragolf.com/king-utility-iron

He loves the thing. Personally I've had limited success with traditional hybrids and own several of them including a custom fit Wishon my fitter made for me. I currently carry a Wishon 771csi 4i in my bag and use it from time to time with decent results. But decent isn't good enough. I want more consistent shots with improved distance and ball flight.

I hit my irons pretty good most days and don't really have a place in my bag for a traditional hybrid. Will they work for you Josmi15? They just might. Go try a few and see if it fits our eye and needs. Lot of people use them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm a hybrid guy and I love my 3 and 4 hybrids. I can hit it high, low, and stingers which I just learned to. Definitely try both of them out at the range or on the course and see which one you're more comfortable with hitting various shots. I probably can't get the same distances with an iron as I would with a hybrid too. Like PlaidJacket mentioned you might also look in to a utility iron.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

4i for me. I hate hate hate hybrids and have banished them from my bag. They only seem to get me into trouble. I'm much more consistent with irons.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I don't care for hybrids personally but if you hit one well then you should probably consider sticking with it unless you hit the 4 iron BETTER. There are advantages to hybrids and if I ever find one I like then I'll use it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• SPY VIP

New Srixon set has the 3U (and maybe 4U) Z U65 utility irons rather than hybrids. Huge confidence difference for me at address as I prefer the look of the iron and tend to over swing the hybrids.

Cool thing about these was that they shafted them with my iron shaft (Aerotech Steel fiber 110) and were able to bend them 2° up to match the irons. High hopes for these, perhaps more than any other club from the fitting.

http://www.srixon.com/us/clubs/z-u65-utility/MZU65.html

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Try both and see which one more consistently gives you the yardage you're trying to hit.

Personally it's hybrids for me. I play a 15, 17, 22, & 25. My longest iron is a 6

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

In an iron guy. I have the v4 2 utility iron. I've never been able to hit a hybrid, but I can hit a 2i blade.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

4i for me, I can hit straight. Only hybid in the bag is a 16* #2.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I'm more of a hybrid type of guy although my age may dictate that. I don't have the swing speed to elevate the longer irons. My longest iron is a 5i.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Likewise, my longest iron is a 5i, although I will put a 4i in my bag for certain courses or wind conditions.  Curiously, I go from a 5i to a 5H as my next club because the 5H is the right gap instead of a 4H.  I also carry a 3H as my longest club from the fairway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play a Maltby 4 hybrid iron...probably in reality is a utility. I love those clubs, but, they're discontinuing them.  :(

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I use a Tour Edge Exotics cb pro h 2/18 degree as a driving iron and I also have a Callaway Diablo 4 iron. Both easier to hit than most lower lofted irons I've tried.

I do continue to carry one hybrid as it's easier to hit from furrier lies. It's harder to control off the tee. That is the issue I have had with hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once I found a hybrid that didn't automatically go left on me it was a game changer. I carry a 23 and 18 degree and I have no fear of shots from that 200 - 220 range anymore. Sometimes I'll even choke down on them to play less yardage when I want complete confidence over a shot.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I currently have my Cobra Hybrid set to 18.5, because I've gotten pretty good with 3Wood. I remember reading an article that if I struggle to break 90 that I should use multiple hybrids so that's what has me rethinking this.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

No hybrid for me.

5w and 4i.

Since you've gotten good with the 3w, why not try a 5w as well?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

No hybrid for me.

5w and 4i.

Since you've gotten good with the 3w, why not try a 5w as well?

i do have a 5w .... hadn't thought about it honestly, it's in my backup bag in the garage!!!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Everybody is different so its hard for us to answer this question for you.  It's really about which one you are more consistent with.  Maybe you thought you hit the ball well with your 4 iron when you were a beginner because you were about the same with all of your clubs.  As you got better it didn't come along for the ride.  Regardless the best thing to do is hit them side by side for a bit or keep a chart of how each works for a bit and you should get an idea of which works better.

It's hybrid for me - In fact 6 iron is the longest iron that I bag - I hit a 5 okay but I just hit the 5 hybrid better. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I had a love/hate relationships with hybrids until I got my current 23 degree H1. Now it has become my favorite club in the bag to hit.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've posted this in other threads before, but it's very applicable to this one as well.  

My rule of thumb is that if you can't hit a club well 80% of the time it shouldn't be in your bag.  What changes based on your abilities is what "well" means.  That percentage may also change based on your ability but basically it means is the club helping you more than it's hurting you.  

This is just an example, but I was having troubles with my 3w.  I would say maybe half the time I was striking it well enough that I considered it a good shot with an acceptable outcome.  Basically if it came time to hit a 3w I realized I would be better off hitting my longest hybrid instead.  Maybe it wouldn't reach the green, but it was in plan and long enough.  I've since replaced the 3w with a 15 degree hybrid that goes just as far and I'm much more consistent.

It's very hard to say a blanket statement like if you can't break 90 you shouldn't have a 3w.  Or you should have only hybrids.  It really just comes down to what you as a golfer can hit well the majority of the time.  My advice is always to play whatever combinations of clubs allows you the chance to shoot the lowest score possible.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I appreciate all advice. It's going to be a fun off season that I'll try things out again

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

I'm a hybrid and iron guy. Play a hybrid in the 3 iron spot then go down to a 4 iron. My 4 iron is the Srixon Z 545 which is a really nice crossover between the hybrid and my cavity back irons. It offers me some versatility to flight the ball down if needed but can also hit it off the tee. I used to play a 4 hybrid but I struggled to keep it down if I needed to and it didn't seem to gap very well into my 5 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived