TESTERS WANTED! ×

Random Thread

ole gray

We actually did have a guy come in last year and complain that he was in 17 bunkers on the front nine alone, and that ruined his round and while he didn't ask fro a refund he yelled up and down for 5 minutes that the course was unfair and he can't imagine anyone breaking 90 on this course and he's a single digit handicap.......Alrighty then :)

When I told our GM and Super about it the next day, the Super laughed and just kept saying "seventeen?...really seventeen?....Nine holes....Seventeen" That nine does have a fair amount of bunkers, but to be in 17 for 9 holes as a single digit, something doesn't add up...ha

Single digit, right.

Man you get some real “beauties”

How guys like you can hold your temp till never know. Definitely better control than me, especially when I was younger. The “Irish” temper was close to the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Single digit, right.

How guys like you can hold your temp till never know. Definitely better control than me, especially when I was younger. The “Irish” temper was close to the surface.

I get to see it in my wife e v e r y  d a y.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I get to see it in my wife e v e r y d a y.

Oh boy....

Rick

Left Hand, 

It's actually one of the things that attracted me to her.  Well, some other things... including her golf swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's actually one of the things that attracted me to her. Well, some other things... including her golf swing.

Right.....

Rick

Left Hand, 

can't imagine someone coming in after a round and saying the "greens were too slow" or the "rough was too thick" and asking for a refund/rain check!

Once, a buddy and I played a course in the afternoon after their "hardest day" tournament that morning. He asked about it before making the time, and the pro shop assured him that they were going to move the pins back to normal positions after the tournament came in. Needless to say, they forgot, and we wound up picking up after two putts on each green. We asked about it when we came in, and the guys in the shop were pretty embarrassed about it. They gave us rainchecks for that.

I played when the greens were solid ice. The course said it was ok. But at 12° it is pretty brutal. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though.

We played our coaches Ryder Cup on frozen greens back in December. I hit a wedge that bounced 20 feet in the air.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

When I was sick last year and had trouble playing 9 the course mgt had me pay 18 and if I couldn't make the turn let me take the rain check for the second 9.

Rick

Left Hand, 

..you have to wonder sometimes about the sanity of golfers....LOL

OXYMORON!!

You cannot use "sanity" and "golfers"in the same sentence....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

OXYMORON!!

You cannot use "sanity" and "golfers"in the same sentence....

Good point!

Rick

Left Hand, 

That would be interesting - especially when you're retired 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

"How are the greens rolling?"

"About 32 on the stimp"

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

:huh:

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Someone tell me how this 8 iron shaft in wedges thing works.

Do you put an 8 iron shaft in 9,PW,SW,LW?

Obviously I've read they need to be tipped 3/8 and butt trimmed.

Someone with more golf knowledge than me please help me out here. I'm interested in more spin in the wedge department.

Thanks!

Edit: and lower ball flight

@cnosil

I'm with you. I love the challenge of playing in totally awful weather. Don't get me wrong, I love it when it's nice too but no one tells stories about that time they played when it was 70* and sunny.

1-2 times during my league season, we'll have to play in the rain due to scheduling conflicts. My opponents are always complaining and usually do everything they can to try and get the matches cancelled. 3-0-1 in those situations thus far I love it and treat it like an advantage.

Me, too. Played the absolute best round of my life in a torrential downpour when I was about 24. I think it has to do with having something else to focus on that loosens up my game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Someone tell me how this 8 iron shaft in wedges thing works.

Do you put an 8 iron shaft in 9,PW,SW,LW?

Obviously I've read they need to be tipped 3/8 and butt trimmed.

Someone with more golf knowledge than me please help me out here. I'm interested in more spin in the wedge department.

Thanks!

Edit: and lower ball flight

That is interesting and I've not heard of doing this to lower ball flight. In fact I would imagine just the opposite. In taper tip shafts what you are describing is known as "soft-stepping", which means you take a longer club's shaft with a little more play in it and insert into a shorter club then butt trim to length. You can step down down one club (for example 4 iron shaft in a 5 iron) or do a double soft step (4 iron shaft in a 6 iron). Each step should soften the flex roughly 1/3 flex. Conversely you can also do the exact opposite, which is "hard-stepping" and stiffens the shaft approx 1/3 flex per step. Obviously to hard step you want to be using uncut taper tips and then trim to length.

I think if you're trying to drive down ball flight in wedges you just want to go with a stiffer shaft overall. At the very least a stiffer tip section.

If there is a theory out there about inserting a 3/4" longer parallel shaft then tipping it 3/4" I guess that would work as well, but I don't know why it would be more effective than just inserting a stiffer shaft.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

That is interesting and I've not heard of doing this to lower ball flight. In fact I would imagine just the opposite. In taper tip shafts what you are describing is known as "soft-stepping", which means you take a longer club's shaft with a little more play in it and insert into a shorter club then butt trim to length. You can step down down one club (for example 4 iron shaft in a 5 iron) or do a double soft step (4 iron shaft in a 6 iron). Each step should soften the flex roughly 1/3 flex. Conversely you can also do the exact opposite, which is "hard-stepping" and stiffens the shaft approx 1/3 flex per step. Obviously to hard step you want to be using uncut taper tips and then trim to length.

I think if you're trying to drive down ball flight in wedges you just want to go with a stiffer shaft overall. At the very least a stiffer tip section.

If there is a theory out there about inserting a 3/4" longer parallel shaft then tipping it 3/4" I guess that would work as well, but I don't know why it would be more effective than just inserting a stiffer shaft.

As a single length iron user, it is much more complex than shoving a different length shaft into a head.

My PW is the same length as my 8 and the ball flight is higher than normal...not significantly....but that is where the additional customization comes into play.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Even as a double digit cap myself, I don't think I've ever been in 17 bunkers in 9 holes.   I know it has seemed like it at times, but that's ALOT!!

As I'm sure you know and have witnessed multiple times that I am no where close to being a single digit golfer and struggle with bunkers.  While I am not a very good golfer, I am smart enough to employ my BAS (Bunker Avoidance Shot) approach.   Moreover, I have often suggested that the USGA make bunkers ground under repair.   When the sheepherders invented the game, they did so in green pastures, not the desert.

I have welcomed about 600 new members because of this Cobra Connect Challenge! I wonder how many will stick around...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I have welcomed about 600 new members because of this Cobra Connect Challenge! I wonder how many will stick around...

If it's more than one then it was a success!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

As a single length iron user, it is much more complex than shoving a different length shaft into a head.

My PW is the same length as my 8 and the ball flight is higher than normal...not significantly....but that is where the additional customization comes into play.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm guessing swing weight in particular is a huge variable. Doing a single hard or soft step through a set probably isn't enough of a change for most of us to even notice a difference.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Yeah I'm guessing swing weight in particular is a huge variable. Doing a single hard or soft step through a set probably isn't enough of a change for most of us to even notice a difference.

Tom Wishon is a highly respected clubbuilder.  This page has some good information about having shafts of the same length... http://wishongolf.com/technology/information-and-qa-about-single-length-irons/

I pulled this out in particular:

In a single length set of irons, every club is made so that everything that has anything to do with swing feel is the same in each club – same length, same shaft weight, same total weight, same head weight, same swingweight, same balance point, same MOI, and the same shaft stiffness/bend profile design. The only element that is different within single length clubs are the loft angles, to enable the single length clubs to each hit the ball different distances.

Normal incremental length sets of irons cannot duplicate that many different fitting elements.  While it is possible to build incremental length sets of irons to all be matched to the same MOI, each club will be different in total weight, head weight, swingweight, and balance point.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

That's how I found out about MGS. I got either an Instagram or Twitter “add or contest” blurb. I joined but didn't do anything with it for a while but got interested in the MGS emails with the testing and different info emails. Bet their sorry they sent me one

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm guessing about as many as usually do after a test offer...  a couple.

That contest pages grows about 20 or so pages in 24 hours. 

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Since this is the Random Thread, this seems like the appropriate place to inquire regarding a term that I have often wondered about its origin and meaning.   That term is "Club Ho" or "Equipment Ho".   If I am correctly interpreting the use of the term "Ho", would not the "Ho" be the party that is paid for services rendered and those purchasing the service would be "Johns".   Accordingly, would not the OEMs be the "Ho" and those that excessively purchase their products be the "Johns".   So would not the more appropriate term be "Club John" or "Equipment John".   

Again, I freely admit that I can be misinterpreting the term "Ho" in the club context, it could just be a product of my sometimes sick mind for which I apologize.

Since this is the Random Thread, this seems like the appropriate place to inquire regarding a term that I have often wondered about its origin and meaning.   That term is "Club Ho" or "Equipment Ho".   If I am correctly interpreting the use of the term "Ho", would not the "Ho" be the party that is paid for services rendered and those purchasing the service would be "Johns".   Accordingly, would not the OEMs be the "Ho" and those that excessively purchase their products be the "Johns".   So would not the more appropriate term be "Club John" or "Equipment John".   

Again, I freely admit that I can be misinterpreting the term "Ho" in the club context, it could just be a product of my sometimes sick mind for which I apologize.

Ha ha ha....TheWahoo...technically your are buying clubs AND selling clubs...so it's more Club Pimping....

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Single digit, right.

We do, but probably no more than any other golf course, I'm sure.   Even in my last profession dealing with the public (A General Manager for Hilton) was always "interesting"   I keep saying I should have kept a journal, I'd have a best selling book for sure..ha

Thanks for doing that, getting warm and sincere welcomes from current members can go a long way showing new members that we are a very inclusive community here. 

If it's more than one then it was a success!

So much this!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wahoo....The way I view the terrm, is someone that sleeps with any person that comes along.   So if I am willing to sleep with any club that comes around and sometimes multiple club brands in the same day, than I am by definition a "club Ho" 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wahoo....The way I view the terrm, is someone that sleeps with any person that comes along.   So if I am willing to sleep with any club that comes around and sometimes multiple club brands in the same day, than I am by definition a "club Ho" 

I prefer the term Club Himbo... much more sophisticated.   :lol:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=himbo

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0