TESTERS WANTED! ×

Random Thread

ole gray

30 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

Anyone else notice when there’s testing opportunities “members” come out of everywhere to “participate”. Then when the testers are announced its back to the same 30-40 guys. I know I can’t be the only one seeing this, am I?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Absolutely. That annoys the heck out of me because they are just trying to dupe the mods into thinking they are active members so they can be picked for "free stuff". They'll take their free stuff and never even show up on the forums again. 

I don't even bother responding to those people because I know they don't care, and if they don't care, I certainly don't care. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Absolutely. That annoys the heck out of me because they are just trying to dupe the mods into thinking they are active members so they can be picked for "free stuff". They'll take their free stuff and never even show up on the forums again. 
I don't even bother responding to those people because I know they don't care, and if they don't care, I certainly don't care. 

Don’t even get me started on this subject. I understand people have busy lives but if selected you better show up and fulfill your commitment.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Anyone else notice when there’s testing opportunities “members” come out of everywhere to “participate”. Then when the testers are announced its back to the same 30-40 guys. I know I can’t be the only one seeing this, am I?

Yes, it’s quite obvious.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Don’t even get me started on this subject. I understand people have busy lives but if selected you better show up and fulfill your commitment.

I've seen less than a handful walk without doing the review. I've seen more people do the review then disappear again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've seen less than a handful walk without doing the review. I've seen more people do the review then disappear again.

Yes it’s rare thankfully.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

The amount of people who stay around and actually communicate all year is not many so I gave up with the intro posts. I like the idea of people introducing themselves but if they are just doing it so they have a few posts for the entry of a test then I see no point.

Happens every year but it's a double edged sword. . You can't keep choosing the same testers because people will stop signing up on the forum....so you have to choose some newer members and hope they stick around and contribute..but that's a big risk and can end up alienating current and active members....I don't know how the admins process the hundreds of applications, there has to be some sort of automation and algorithm, but I don't envy them

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

The influx of intros that get posted when a testing opportunity (and yes, it's a testing opportunity, not a free giveaway) may as well say, I'm just here to try and get something free and not participate or stick around.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

9 hours ago, robertson153 said:

It would be interesting to see what percentage of these newbies stick around. Personally I wasn't aware of testing opportunities when I first joined. I did it  because it appeared to be a friendly and accepting forum (read you didn't have to be a scratch golfer to participate).

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It would be interesting to see what percentage of these newbies stick around. Personally I wasn't aware of testing opportunities when I first joined. I did it  because it appeared to be a friendly and accepting forum (read you didn't have to be a scratch golfer to participate).

Same for me. I stumbled upon a twitter link to an article Tony wrote and fell head first down the rabbit hole into this wonderful forum. Don't believe there was any testing for the first few months I was around as it was Nov-Dec time frame

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Happens every year but it's a double edged sword. . You can't keep choosing the same testers because people will stop signing up on the forum....so you have to choose some newer members and hope they stick around and contribute..but that's a big risk and can end up alienating current and active members....I don't know how the admins process the hundreds of applications, there has to be some sort of automation and algorithm, but I don't envy them

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

One of them stated they try to get a few vets as well as some newer guys in an effort to appease the masses

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm with @tony@CIC  .... I buy stuff online and I do a lot of searches for BEST this and TOP that.... that's how I found MGS.

I'm a big believer in Consumer Reports' work...it can be hard to wade through all of the marketing B.S. to get to the truth and that's what C.R. does.... when I found MGS and started looking around the first thought that came into my mind is that it was C.R. for golf.... look past all of the crap and get to the real stuff.... my first post wasn't to join a testing opp...I fired away with all sorts of questions and was pleasantly surprised when the answers came flooding in.  Really good ones too.  I then I found out about the testing opps.  I was picked for one and thought that I was loaned something and had to send it back after testing it out .... kind of like test-driving a car.... I didn't care though, I was excited as hell to be picked.  And then I found out I got to keep it....and I was like WHAAAAT???? dayuuuuuuuummmm.... too good to be true!

Anyway - I still love MGS and their mission.... goes hand-in-hand with what I believe in.... don't feed me the best B.S. lines you marketing department can come up with, give me true results plain-and-simple.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Should be easy to weed out those that join and only post in testing opportunity threads.  I think it's safe to say that any new member who doesn't post again in their Intro thread, at least to answer any questions that we ask or to thank everyone who welcomed them, isn't likely to stick around.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Should be easy to weed out those that join and only post in testing opportunity threads.  I think it's safe to say that any new member who doesn't post again in their Intro thread, at least to answer any questions that we ask or to thank everyone who welcomed them, isn't likely to stick around.

Spot on! Maybe we should hold off welcoming people until they have 5 or 10 posts 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Here’s some random Fish for some of you who enjoy a day on the water. A bunch of my family members: brothers, cousins, uncles. Take a trip every September/October for the salmon run around the Tippy valley area in Michigan. They specifically fish for Chinook, more commonly known as King Salmon. Here is a photo of their catch over the weekend. These salmon are massive. 
2782E0C4-E45C-4AEB-9C7F-5F2D71616048.jpeg.ef1c36ff5210e51719bb198e1c6506ca.jpeg

Fish Fry coming up
Very nice!

Rick

Left Hand, 

28 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Spot on! Maybe we should hold off welcoming people until they have 5 or 10 posts 

In my prior life, I was a Hotel General Manager at a relatively small hotel 170 rooms.  So I was involved in hiring and orientation for almost all employees.   I would typically walk the new employee around and introduce them to all the department heads and managers.  

One day after doing so, one of m managers came to me and said, "Don't bother introducing me to a new employee until after their first week, I hate learning someone's name only to hear they quit two days later"    LOL   She was only half joking 😀

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ok, I'm sorry I don't have 1000 posts yet

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

In my prior life, I was a Hotel General Manager at a relatively small hotel 170 rooms.  So I was involved in hiring and orientation for almost all employees.   I would typically walk the new employee around and introduce them to all the department heads and managers.  
One day after doing so, one of m managers came to me and said, "Don't bother introducing me to a new employee until after their first week, I hate learning someone's name only to hear they quit two days later"    LOL   She was only half joking 

That’s quite true. I did all the hiring and firing for 35 years and it took about 12 hires to have one stick for a while.

Rick

Left Hand, 

11 hours ago, tommc23 said:

The amount of people who stay around and actually communicate all year is not many so I gave up with the intro posts. I like the idea of people introducing themselves but if they are just doing it so they have a few posts for the entry of a test then I see no point.

Or better yet in the intro just be honest and say " hey I'm only here for the free stuff" . 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

If I wasn’t 12 hours away. They do this every year, so I am going to try to join them next season. 

Hope you make it, looks like a great time !

Rick

Left Hand, 

I understand this mindset and dislike it at the exact same time.

It makes sense to not want to waste brain power or the time being introduced to someone who you may never see again or who is just trying to “win” something.

However, for a new person, showing them the welcoming community and culture that has been established at MGS is important. It’s why I stuck around and am trying to provide value. I was welcomed with open arms and no judgement and want to show that to others as well.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

14 hours ago, Rickp said:

Hope you make it, looks like a great time !

It is a fun time, except that you fish from 10 pm - 5 am, and sleep during the day. I am really gonna try to make it up there for next season. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

58 minutes ago, palvord said:

It makes sense to not want to waste brain power or the time being introduced to someone who you may never see again or who is just trying to “win” something.

However, for a new person, showing them the welcoming community and culture that has been established at MGS is important. It’s why I stuck around and am trying to provide value. I was welcomed with open arms and no judgement and want to show that to others as well.

I sort of agree with you and have gone through phases where I welcome the new comers or get a bit irritated when the mobile feed gets filled up with responses to the intros. For me, the responses to my intro had no bearing on whether I stuck around or not. It was the content in other areas the made me want to stay and learn. For giggles, I found my intro thread and re-read the 12 responses - there was nothing earth-shattering that made me stick around.

I believe it is important to actually read the intros and respond to something that interests you, but not necessarily the copy/paste replies I have been guilty of doing in the past.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I've welcomed a lot of people and I felt like I was doing it just to get more posts and hit higher numbers. I felt like I was not being original or really welcoming.
Also I noticed that no matter how many I welcomed and said stick around to not many did so I gave up. I didn't want to just keep saying welcome for numbers and then nothing after that and their test entry.
Now the ones I welcomed and stayed around made me want to keep doing so but that was less than 10%. I also noticed that there were a lot of copy and paste welcomes when I tried to type something different as much as I could. So it is a combo of things that made me feel this way not just one.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:15 PM, robertson153 said:

i do not have the computer skills required to be a tester.   Also, I know that this site would not be as good and as valuable as it is if the operators and moderators did not know what they are doing.    Accordingly, I have no concerns regarding the selection of testers because (1) I am not a potential tester and (2) I know that those selecting the testers have the insights, knowledge and ability to select those best for testing and why.  

I agree. I think it is valuable for new people to see the camaraderie that goes on in these forums. We have people just starting to golf all the way up to people competitive in Am Tours. It is a fine line to balance.

Most of you said it already but having an open forum unfortunately opens the door to people who just come for the “free” stuff.

Those that have been here a while, not me as I’m only in since April, share our ups and downs of our golf journey with each other. That is what we should want these newer folks to see. Even if they just apply to test. Maybe they’re looking through post without comments or likes.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

....speechless....  I am terrified of being paired with someone like this as a single.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

6 minutes ago, strokerAce said:

....speechless....  I am terrified of being paired with someone like this as a single.

The swing afterward is terrifying. Haha!

I played with someone like this in a tournament but instead of full swings, he did this on tap in putts. At least he shot 76 or so. This guy probably made a 76 on that hole. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock