Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Random Thread

ole gray

Graduate from a school w/a class size of 79 in farm country and your parents are/were hippies and kinda chuckle when you bring up the idea of college and when that military recruiter comes on campus and asks you what you're going to do after high school the military seems even more appealing.

Fortunately for me I had my GI Bill and got a job at a University where employees can go to school tuition free; after 8 years of night school I got my degree..and actually *made* money doing it. 

Still work at that same University and my kids will get free tuition - * if * I can get them in the door. LOL

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Still work at that same University and my kids will get free tuition - * if * I can get them in the door. LOL

Good luck on that one. Seems like my kids wanted to go anywhere BUT where it would cost me the least. 😎. On the other hand, thankfully, I could afford it and they didn't have to worry about paying for college after college. . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Yeah. College is overrated. I had to do a paper on it last semester..

A guy going for his PhD in the video they made us watch m said he wishes he would have just watched YouTube. He said he learned more, and it was free...

I’m a tradesman I suppose, my mechanical background started with legos, progressed to skateboards and bikes, then on to lawn mowers, cars, boats...

But it isn’t something I want to do when my 20 is over. I couldn’t imagine twisting myself into engine bays, or engine rooms as my second career. I’m already beat up from it.

So... here I am going to college. If anything I’ll be able to tell my kids:

“If I can do it, you can too.”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We do a disservice to our kids making them think that College is for everyone. before covid, companies were crying for skilled tradesmen. My SIL who lives in Hobart, Australia went the trade route in high school. At 40, he's never been unemployed, is happy and makes a ton of money. No school loans to pay off,  Skilled trades are respected all around the world. . 

I’m a firm believer in the Trade Schools, that’s the way I went and never looked back.

I was a PIA growing up and decided on Trade School. Did the machinist thing then Tool & Diemaker. Took it seriously and took the Design & Engineering Courses at CCSU that I felt were worthwhile and things feel into place. I was not ready for college in my Teens.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Yeah. College is overrated. I had to do a paper on it last semester.. emoji848.png

A guy going for his PhD in the video they made us watch m said he wishes he would have just watched YouTube. He said he learned more, and it was free...

I’m a tradesman I suppose, my mechanical background started with legos, progressed to skateboards and bikes, then on to lawn mowers, cars, boats...

But it isn’t something I want to do when my 20 is over. I couldn’t imagine twisting myself into engine bays, or engine rooms as my second career. I’m already beat up from it.

So... here I am going to college. If anything I’ll be able to tell my kids:

“If I can do it, you can too.”

... This is an interesting topic. I think college was the best experience of my life socially, especially my freshman year. So many different people from different backgrounds all coming together in a true melting pot. So many firmly held beliefs, especially those coming from parents, are challenged in a positive way. I loved the fact that at any time of the day or night you could find someone to share an experience, whether it was heading out for food, playing tennis/basketball/pool/etc, hitting the library, having s study group or going to a social event. In 1971 at East Carolina we had a ton of concerts from some of the biggest names like Eric Clapton, Linda Ronstadt, Earl Monroe, Jethro Tull, Bread, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to name just a few along with some Classical and Jazz bands and the cost was $1 with a student ID. The transition from high school to the real world was so much better after at least a year or two of college and 4 years was ideal. 

... That said it was a different era and things have changed. Getting a degree was well worth the cost in the 70's and the social aspect of learning about others and prea[parring for the real world was a bargain at the price. This was before internet, cell phones and even any kind of video recording was available. But today so much information is literally at your fingertips and the cost of an "education" has sky rocketed and unaffordable for so many. As others have stated here, even those that can afford it might get little return on their college investment. If any return at all, and if paying for it themselves or splitting it with their parents, they are left with debt that can last years. 

... So what was once a no brainer decision to go to college is now something that takes a lot of contemplation and a trade school or any kind of mechanical or working persons training may be a better route. This make a profit off people that are in the least advantageous position to pay it back should be a crime. Student loans used to be low interest loans and that interest did not start until 3 months after graduation!!! Today the interest is much higher and it starts from the day you start the loan. So a student loan in the 70's and even into the 80's cost less than the interest alone on a loan today that has accumulated and compounded over a 4 year period before you even start paying it back. Again, that should be a crime.  And that is a shame because those first few years can be the most illuminating time of your life, if you can afford it.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

this. so much this.
this is awesome.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

... This is an interesting topic. I think college was the best experience of my life socially, especially my freshman year. So many different people from different backgrounds all coming together in a true melting pot. So many firmly held beliefs, especially those coming from parents, are challenged in a positive way. I loved the fact that at any time of the day or night you could find someone to share an experience, whether it was heading out for food, playing tennis/basketball/pool/etc, hitting the library, having s study group or going to a social event. In 1971 at East Carolina we had a ton of concerts from some of the biggest names like Eric Clapton, Linda Ronstadt, Earl Monroe, Jethro Tull, Bread, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to name just a few along with some Classical and Jazz bands and the cost was $1 with a student ID. The transition from high school to the real world was so much better after at least a year or two of college and 4 years was ideal. 

... That said it was a different era and things have changed. Getting a degree was well worth the cost in the 70's and the social aspect of learning about others and prea[parring for the real world was a bargain at the price. This was before internet, cell phones and even any kind of video recording was available. But today so much information is literally at your fingertips and the cost of an "education" has sky rocketed and unaffordable for so many. As others have stated here, even those that can afford it might get little return on their college investment. If any return at all, and if paying for it themselves or splitting it with their parents, they are left with debt that can last years. 

... So what was once a no brainer decision to go to college is now something that takes a lot of contemplation and a trade school or any kind of mechanical or working persons training may be a better route. This make a profit off people that are in the least advantageous position to pay it back should be a crime. Student loans used to be low interest loans and that interest did not start until 3 months after graduation!!! Today the interest is much higher and it starts from the day you start the loan. So a student loan in the 70's and even into the 80's cost less than the interest alone on a loan today that has accumulated and compounded over a 4 year period before you even start paying it back. Again, that should be a crime.  And that is a shame because those first few years can be the most illuminating time of your life, if you can afford it.  

Great point on the social aspect back in the 70’s. Great Bands you rattled off there also

Rick

Left Hand, 

Oh, don’t get me wrong. When I went to college the first... uh 3 times... I loved it, or the idea of it.

Had a helluva lot of fun:

Saw a few concerts (non comparable to yours),
Met a lot of strange people, partied a lot.

Learned how to play guitar, met my wife... etc

I just wasn’t any good at the academic side of it. I was a terrible student in HS, and “learning” wasn’t something I was interested in.

This was just at a small community college, but I frequented the larger universities in Michigan from time to time.

I was explaining to my wife today the problem with my backswing where I start to stand up a bit so I end up moving hips towards the ball. She asked me why would I do that, took the club from me and proceeded to show me how to make a proper hip turn (and she did it correctly). She doesn't play golf btw.

I guess that makes up for when she first told me that she was a chess champion at her school growing up and then I proceeded to beat her three games in a row.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I’m a firm believer in the Trade Schools, that’s the way I went and never looked back.

I was a PIA growing up and decided on Trade School. Did the machinist thing then Tool & Diemaker. Took it seriously and took the Design & Engineering Courses at CCSU that I felt were worthwhile and things feel into place. I was not ready for college in my Teens.

I am too.

My oldest wants to be a Chef.

Second oldest wants to be a Farmer.

Third oldest some sort of interior design.

The other two are too young to know, but we have a potential skateboarder, and some sort of engineer. The kid is a magician at building things, and math.

Being Im in my career field, I’ll only let them go this route if they go to the academy, or OCS. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about that.

A buddy of mine has a son enlisting next year. I remember when he went to 2nd grade...

I am too.

My oldest wants to be a Chef.

Second oldest wants to be a Farmer.

Third oldest some sort of interior design.

The other two are too young to know, but we have a potential skateboarder, and some sort of engineer. The kid is a magician at building things, and math.

Being Im in my career field, I’ll only let them go this route if they go to the academy, or OCS. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about that.

A buddy of mine has a son enlisting next year. I remember when he went to 2nd grade...

You guys are great parents and together you’ll all figure it out. It works out.
BTW, one of my daughters was hell on wheels for teenage thru junior year college. How I held it together I’ll never know. She met the right guy, married had 2 great kids and a well respected school teacher. Who knew.

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Oh boy...

Two papers due Monday. 60 words on each. All this college talk reminds me why I’m a mechanic. emoji846.png

See ya’ll later.

^y’all 😉.  Alan, its a written rule of college of at least a beer per page.  They get a lot easier by the time you finish.  

Good luck, hope they go well!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

^y’all .  Alan, its a written rule of college of at least a beer per page.  They get a lot easier by the time you finish.  

Good luck, hope they go well!

Oh... that must be the Yooper way to spell it, eh.

Busy day ahead. I didn’t get anything done, could not concentrate on anything last night.

Oh... that must be the Yooper way to spell it, eh.

Busy day ahead. I didn’t get anything done, could not concentrate on anything last night.

I always found my best work came in at the last minute

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I got the lawn mowed just in time before the 30mph wind with gusts to 46 hit.  Now my lawn is littered with all of the blossoms that were on the dogwood tree in the backyard.  I even have blossoms on my front porch!!!   Now it's raining.  Glad I didn't play golf today... Oh wait!!  There is no golf... until Tuesday.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well guys I really screwed the pooch this time. You guys know I am semi retired. Took a trip up Wednesday. Was climbing up in my trailer to sweep it out like always. My ladder the support buckled out and threw me 5 foot to the ground. Ended up with a concussion a fractured L3 vertebrae and a fracture in my left Scapula. Spent 3 nights in the hospital. I am home now but out of action for at least 6 weeks. I can sit and type some but my time is limited. It is funny I drove race cars for years even did parasailing and was a volunteer fireman for years. Become semi retired and this happens. And what is funny I used to do this 5 days a week 2 times a day, The one doc who is a golfer himself said maybe after 6 weeks I could chip and putt some. Yep this is rough at 63 yrs of age 

Ouch - that sounds painful. Get better soon

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

45 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Well guys I really screwed the pooch this time. You guys know I am semi retired. Took a trip up Wednesday. Was climbing up in my trailer to sweep it out like always. My ladder the support buckled out and threw me 5 foot to the ground. Ended up with a concussion a fractured L3 vertebrae and a fracture in my left Scapula. Spent 3 nights in the hospital. I am home now but out of action for at least 6 weeks. I can sit and type some but my time is limited. It is funny I drove race cars for years even did parasailing and was a volunteer fireman for years. Become semi retired and this happens. And what is funny I used to do this 5 days a week 2 times a day, The one doc who is a golfer himself said maybe after 6 weeks I could chip and putt some. Yep this is rough at 63 yrs of age 

... Couldn't you have waited til mid July so you could hole up in the air conditioning? I life guarded a summer at Myrtle Beach and late July/August was insanely hot and I was a 19 yr old kid. I hope the fracture heals quickly. Hang in there and I will send some positive thoughts your way. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Ouch. Hope you heal up quick big man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Could be worse it could be a hip or had some kind of bleeding still sucks but could be worse. Heal up quick Stu

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Sorry to hear, Stu. Take care of yourself and get well soon!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Ouch!!!!   Take care of yourself and hope you recover quickly.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Sorry to hear about that and I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

Wow, I'm hurting reading this. Take care of yourself.

Sent from my SM-A102U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Oh man that’s not right. Get healthy, back on track and have a long and enjoyable retirement. That’s an order Boss!!
MB needs you up and running

Rick

Left Hand, 

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Wow!  Please take it easy.  The older we get, the longer it takes to heal.  Don't rush it... and watch out for the next 10 years!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Could be worse it could be a hip or had some kind of bleeding still sucks but could be worse. Heal up quick Stu

Stayed conscious and alert during the whole thing. I guess my FD training paid off. Told one of the EMTs that was the first time I had ever ridden in an Ambulance as a patient. Come to find out one of the guys on that unit was from NC and had taken his EMT training under my old instructor. I told him well I could go ahead and nod out since I knew I was in good hands. I never did though. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 5/1/2020 at 10:41 AM, chisag said:

ECU back in those days was party central--- I knew enough about ECU and had a Charlotte NC ID I could BS the girls into thinking I was a student there. One unwritten rule there in those days the local yokels did not hang out at the college bars and the college kids did not hang at the local bars. Of course I was a little more exposed to the real world in those days than the other kids were because I had pulled 3 1/2 years in the Navy. Yep I used to party at the Elbow Room , The Tree House and the Attic. I got out of the Navy in November and hung out in Greenville until the spring then went back to Charlotte and from there to the Mini Tours in Florida. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G