TESTERS WANTED! ×

Random Thread

ole gray

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had the opportunity when I moved to TN. My wife thought it would be a good idea being I loved golf so much. I told her no way and questioned her as follows:

Do you want to wake up at 5:30 am to the sound of mowers and blowers when you are retired? If you managed to sleep through that do you want to wake up at 6:30 in the morning to the sound of people cursing about the poor drive or missed putt? Do you want people tramping through the yard looking for their ball? Do you want to have to replace, siding, windows or roofing from someone inconsiderate who damaged something and didn't leave contact info? Would you like a net put up to protect the property and now ruin your view? What would the value of the house drop to if the course closed and a developer came in and put in more houses and there was no zoning restrictions?

We purchase 2 miles from the course! I have a lot more property than I could get if I purchased on on a course. Six acres and neighbors aren't on top of each other.   

Actually the course next to mine closed and sold the land to developers and there was no zoning restrictions. Now you have million dollar homes next to single and double wide pre fab homes. Home property values dropped.     

Sounds like down here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

51 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Sounds like down here

I found that once I retired, I could sleep through artillery fire and get up at ten or eleven if I wanted to.

And if I don't have a game, I usually want to.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

There is a pretty hefty price difference (30-40%) between the course facing properties and the ones across the street. The obvious benefit of the course view is just that, the down side is the exposure to errant golf balls.. The street side - lower cost, no view and no golf balls. 

I dunno...  One of my buddies that started me into golf was playing a private course in Naples, FL many years ago.  He hit a towering drive that launched over the condo to the right and landed next to the condo across the parking lot!! Didn't hit anything!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had the opportunity when I moved to TN. My wife thought it would be a good idea being I loved golf so much. I told her no way and questioned her as follows:

Do you want to wake up at 5:30 am to the sound of mowers and blowers when you are retired? If you managed to sleep through that do you want to wake up at 6:30 in the morning to the sound of people cursing about the poor drive or missed putt? Do you want people tramping through the yard looking for their ball? Do you want to have to replace, siding, windows or roofing from someone inconsiderate who damaged something and didn't leave contact info? Would you like a net put up to protect the property and now ruin your view? What would the value of the house drop to if the course closed and a developer came in and put in more houses and there was no zoning restrictions?

We purchase 2 miles from the course! I have a lot more property than I could get if I purchased on on a course. Six acres and neighbors aren't on top of each other.   

Actually the course next to mine closed and sold the land to developers and there was no zoning restrictions. Now you have million dollar homes next to single and double wide pre fab homes. Home property values dropped.     

We live on the other side of the street from the Golf Front homes. We paid $150k less and none of the problems especially the carts driving by every 9 minutes. 
We’ve had 4 opportunities to purchase homes across the street on Golf front but we passed on them.  I can still see guys throwing their putters after missing short putts on 8th green.

Another annoying point is the irrigation hitting the palms trees late night/early morning, sounds like Bezos Rocket taking off!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

9 minutes ago, Rickp said:

We live on the other side of the street from the Golf Front homes. We paid $150k less and none of the problems especially the carts driving by every 9 minutes. 
We’ve had 4 opportunities to purchase homes across the street on Golf front but we passed on them.  I can still see guys throwing their putters after missing short putts on 8th green.

Another annoying point is the irrigation hitting the palms trees late night/early morning, sounds like Bezos Rocket taking off!

I think for us it will just end up that the right home just happens to be a course frontage lot.  I think having carts whizzing by (if path is on the house side) would grow old.  Also, while a lot on or adjacent to a tee box is safe, I suspect it would also be loud with all the bantering that takes place - some of it colorful 🙂.  As players, we certainly have an added advantage from the "what to look for" buyers perspective. Interesting comment on the sprinklers hitting the palms... I can imagine that would be loud.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think for us it will just end up that the right home just happens to be a course frontage lot.  I think having carts whizzing by (if path is on the house side) would grow old.  Also, while a lot on or adjacent to a tee box is safe, I suspect it would also be loud with all the bantering that takes place - some of it colorful 🙂.  As players, we certainly have an added advantage from the "what to look for" buyers perspective. Interesting comment on the sprinklers hitting the palms... I can imagine that would be loud.  

You have a handle on what you’re looking for so that’s good.  The folks who moved across the street from us  were too “wowed” by the golf course frontage and didn’t think about down side.  We really gave it some thought but  I wouldn’t want to be there when the “Bacon Boyz” were on the course 😱 

Rick

Left Hand, 

iPhone has a pita bread emoji.....I am now using this forever when I reference a PITA, whether its a person or a situation. This is a fantastic find.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, EasyPutter said:

It's that time of year again...  yesterday on the one green notorious for leaves and other tree detritus regardless of season my playing partner was ready with his solution to make a clear path from ball to cup for the best chance of putt with minimum preparation time to part the debris.  We were definitely not ready for it LOL

One of the guys here a while back pulled the same gig---- Funny it was in old fart retiree league play where they were always bickering. I sat on the porch and laughed. I do not know what they ever did on it. What was funny it was a scramble format and only helped the one team. They tried to get me to rule on it. I told them I was not the club pro or the league president---- Fortuantly for my good friend Joe The Pro he was off that day and the little PGM student on duty had no idea. Actually he came out on the patio and asked me I told him I was not a course employee and I had no dog in that fight

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 10/14/2021 at 11:17 AM, Lacassem said:

iPhone has a pita bread emoji.....I am now using this forever when I reference a PITA, whether its a person or a situation. This is a fantastic find.

I'm going to have to find that one - plenty of uses for that . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

21 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I'm going to have to find that one - plenty of uses for that . 

Make sure it is Tour Issue--- I have heard those turn about 500 RPM faster and are a few ounces lighter🤣

G

Myrtle Beach loses another golf course to residential communities!

I just received an email from Myrtle Beach Golf stating that The Witch is closing for good mid November. If anyone wants to play it for one last time they better hurry.

That was a great Dan Maples course. Such a shame!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

11 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I just received an email from Myrtle Beach Golf stating that The Witch is closing for good mid November. If anyone wants to play it for one last time they better hurry.

That's a little surprising given just how much golf and play levels have exploded the last couple of years.  "The Witch"; what a fantastic name for a golf course 👍.  Looks like it's not just the $$$$ driving the decision - the course has dealt with some serious flooding damage in recent years and that is the stated reason.

The Witch Golf Links near Myrtle Beach to close in November | Myrtle Beach Sun News (myrtlebeachonline.com)

I wish I would have know when I was down there in July. I would have played that one again. At least I have their logo ball on one of my racks. I broke 80 for the first time on one of its sister courses, The Wizard.

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I broke 80 for the first time on one of its sister courses, The Wizard.

The Wizard... even better.  I love the creativity in so many of the golf course names around the globe.  In fact, that sounds like the genesis of a fun thread 😉.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

The Wizard... even better.  I love the creativity in so many of the golf course names around the globe.  In fact, that sounds like the genesis of a fun thread 😉.

The Wizard's club house was built like an old castle to addto the experience.

The third of the group is The Man O' War. 

48 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The Wizard's club house was built like an old castle to addto the experience.

The third of the group is The Man O' War. 

Yes, I remember them all.  Played Witch & Wizard, not sure if I played Man-O-War.  If memory serves they were always a bit “wet”.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Never cease to be amazed with the amount of information available at people’s fingertips that so many still have misperceptions about old theories.

Way too many conversations lately about various topics around things like golf, food, training and several others 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Never cease to be amazed with the amount of information available at people’s fingertips that so many still have misperceptions about old theories.

Way too many conversations lately about various topics around things like golf, food, training and several others 

Are you accounting for the amount of mis-information available?

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Are you accounting for the amount of mis-information available?

Yup but not all misinformation is misinformation. Some of if not a lot of it is true but people don’t want to believe it because of their biases and it would require them to admit they were wrong on a topic so it gets labeled misinformation.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Extremely pissed off right now. Was trying to reshaft a brand new Evnroll putter and Evnroll must have had a poor tolerance on the head and slammed the steel shaft in there. Wrecked the hosel trying to remove it. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Extremely pissed off right now. Was trying to reshaft a brand new Evnroll putter and Evnroll must have had a poor tolerance on the head and slammed the steel shaft in there. Wrecked the hosel trying to remove it. 

Hate to hear that.  One big reason I stay in my lane of buying/selling clubs and leave the club building part to the experts😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

That's a pisser. So more like a press-fit?  Were you able to use your new shaft puller or do these not work on many putter designs?

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Hate to hear that.  One big reason I stay in my lane of buying/selling clubs and leave the club building part to the experts😎

Never had this happen before. i have all the equipment for club building and still didn't work. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

That's a pisser. So more like a press-fit?  Were you able to use your new shaft puller or do these not work on many putter designs?

So I have pulled at least 3 or 4 of these same Evnroll putters before, and all of those were straightforward, no issues. Normally with a steel shaft, my first attempt is to twist the head off after a bunch of heat, didn't work. I for sure applied enough heat, the whole head was hot!

Tried the shaft puller, that didn't work. Tried banging the head on the ground (on a mat) to get it to twist, that didn't work either. I think it was poor manufacturing tolerances on this specific head or shaft. Either hosel was too small or shaft tip was too big. And during manufacturing, instead of fixing the issue, they probably used the trick of slamming the shaft in the head.

I've actually had a weird experience with a LAB putter before as well. That time, i wasn't trying to pull the head, i was trying to re-grip it. I was trying to pull the grip with a grip remover and solvent and was holding the head and tried to twist the grip and the head fell off lol. Looked at the shaft and only 1/8" was prepped and the hole didn't look like it had any epoxy in it. 

Quality control amongst manufacturers is not always good. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Forgot about another issue I had in the past. I had to apply so much heat my Edel wedges to pull the heads that the lead weights inside liquified lol. Must have ran out of golf epoxy and used the JB weld.

Never had any issues with the big OEMs. Pulled a Taylormade wedge today. Pulled Odyssey heads more times than I can count. Pulled Callaway heads. Etc. Seems to be all the weird things happen with the smaller manufacturers. 

Updated 07/15/2022

On 10/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Also this was on my local news---- They finally got approval or whatever River Oaks the Bear course which is closest to to the waterway is closed and Condos going in. Still leaves them 18 holes though.

Wizzard who is owned by the same folks as The Witch is trying ( again ) to get rezoned for housing. They tried around 07 or so and it got shot down. People are raising the devil there about maybe adding more residences in a allready overloaded area. That was what shot it down in 07.  

The Witch----- That deal has been in the works for a year now. As you saw most of that land is swamp and they can only build on 1/2 of it. The main push on that deal was to put in more housing for CCU students. I will agree it is a great course. My drawback is it could be best enjoyed in fall and a mild winter. Playing it in summer is murder. The air is stagnant and does not move because of the swamps and the insects are terrible. But I still hate to see it go

G

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Forgot about another issue I had in the past. I had to apply so much heat my Edel wedges to pull the heads that the lead weights inside liquified lol. Must have ran out of golf epoxy and used the JB weld.

Never had any issues with the big OEMs. Pulled a Taylormade wedge today. Pulled Odyssey heads more times than I can count. Pulled Callaway heads. Etc. Seems to be all the weird things happen with the smaller manufacturers. 

I will agree on some of the smaller manufacturers. Most of my horrows have came from messing with used clubs and some of the issues associated with them from improper repairs. Yep I have seen JB Weld used and the biggest one was someone put a putter head on with Red Loctite. 

G

7 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Hey I do not mess with some of the newer stuff scared to. Some of it looks so delecate. 

G

11 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I've seen some e-traffic about older PING irons being difficult to seperate due to the type adhesive they use.  I can see where buying used equipment that isn't original "as built" could be problematic.  The wrong adhesive could require heating such that it changes temper and/or results in damage/discoloration.

Something to think about when perusing the used club market 🤔.