ole gray

Random Thread

11 hours ago, tommc23 said:

The amount of people who stay around and actually communicate all year is not many so I gave up with the intro posts. I like the idea of people introducing themselves but if they are just doing it so they have a few posts for the entry of a test then I see no point.

Or better yet in the intro just be honest and say " hey I'm only here for the free stuff" . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I wasn’t 12 hours away. They do this every year, so I am going to try to join them next season. 

Hope you make it, looks like a great time !

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The amount of people who stay around and actually communicate all year is not many so I gave up with the intro posts. I like the idea of people introducing themselves but if they are just doing it so they have a few posts for the entry of a test then I see no point.

I understand this mindset and dislike it at the exact same time.

It makes sense to not want to waste brain power or the time being introduced to someone who you may never see again or who is just trying to “win” something.

However, for a new person, showing them the welcoming community and culture that has been established at MGS is important. It’s why I stuck around and am trying to provide value. I was welcomed with open arms and no judgement and want to show that to others as well.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Rickp said:

Hope you make it, looks like a great time !

It is a fun time, except that you fish from 10 pm - 5 am, and sleep during the day. I am really gonna try to make it up there for next season. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, palvord said:

It makes sense to not want to waste brain power or the time being introduced to someone who you may never see again or who is just trying to “win” something.

However, for a new person, showing them the welcoming community and culture that has been established at MGS is important. It’s why I stuck around and am trying to provide value. I was welcomed with open arms and no judgement and want to show that to others as well.

I sort of agree with you and have gone through phases where I welcome the new comers or get a bit irritated when the mobile feed gets filled up with responses to the intros. For me, the responses to my intro had no bearing on whether I stuck around or not. It was the content in other areas the made me want to stay and learn. For giggles, I found my intro thread and re-read the 12 responses - there was nothing earth-shattering that made me stick around.

I believe it is important to actually read the intros and respond to something that interests you, but not necessarily the copy/paste replies I have been guilty of doing in the past.

• Like 3

I've welcomed a lot of people and I felt like I was doing it just to get more posts and hit higher numbers. I felt like I was not being original or really welcoming.
Also I noticed that no matter how many I welcomed and said stick around to not many did so I gave up. I didn't want to just keep saying welcome for numbers and then nothing after that and their test entry.
Now the ones I welcomed and stayed around made me want to keep doing so but that was less than 10%. I also noticed that there were a lot of copy and paste welcomes when I tried to type something different as much as I could. So it is a combo of things that made me feel this way not just one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 10/9/2018 at 11:15 PM, robertson153 said:

Anyone else notice when there’s testing opportunities “members” come out of everywhere to “participate”. Then when the testers are announced its back to the same 30-40 guys. I know I can’t be the only one seeing this, am I?

i do not have the computer skills required to be a tester.   Also, I know that this site would not be as good and as valuable as it is if the operators and moderators did not know what they are doing.    Accordingly, I have no concerns regarding the selection of testers because (1) I am not a potential tester and (2) I know that those selecting the testers have the insights, knowledge and ability to select those best for testing and why.  

• Like 1

I agree. I think it is valuable for new people to see the camaraderie that goes on in these forums. We have people just starting to golf all the way up to people competitive in Am Tours. It is a fine line to balance.

Most of you said it already but having an open forum unfortunately opens the door to people who just come for the “free” stuff.

Those that have been here a while, not me as I’m only in since April, share our ups and downs of our golf journey with each other. That is what we should want these newer folks to see. Even if they just apply to test. Maybe they’re looking through post without comments or likes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, strokerAce said:

....speechless....  I am terrified of being paired with someone like this as a single.

The swing afterward is terrifying. Haha!

I played with someone like this in a tournament but instead of full swings, he did this on tap in putts. At least he shot 76 or so. This guy probably made a 76 on that hole. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, strokerAce said:

....speechless....  I am terrified of being paired with someone like this as a single.

That has to be staged....

If it's not, I would make an enemy pretty quick.

• Like 4

Going to need a hip replacement with all that power in the swing! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

When I'm watching a tornament, I'll always let out a " Wow" when a beautiful shot of the golf course is shown or on an ad and at the point in time when my wife looks up at the TV screen the ad is finished and it's showing a beautiful girl. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/11/2018 at 2:28 PM, No3PuttLaLa said:

Going to need a hip replacement with all that power in the swing! 🤣

I'm sorry, but I would not last 9 holes with this bloke and I might end up on the news.

Man goes ballistic....

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, strokerAce said:

I'd probably fall asleep during his preshot routine. 

• Haha 1

I’m noticing a group of posters that are either quitting golf or no longer play the game.Its not my place saying they can’t post or get involved.Im not sure I would post anymore  if I wasn’t playing golf or getting ready to quit.That is just me any way 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Edveed said:

I’m noticing a group of posters that are either quitting golf or no longer play the game.Its not my place saying they can’t post or get involved.Im not sure I would post anymore  if I wasn’t playing golf or getting ready to quit.That is just me any way 

Actually you're right.

I've been getting testy with some contributors on this forum

and since I no longer play, it isn't necessary for the regular players to see that.

It's been lot's of fun, but I'm done.

I've got political forums on which to vent.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 12:06 AM, Har in the Hat said:

I'm sorry, but I would not last 9 holes with this bloke and I might end up on the news.

Man goes ballistic....

I wouldn't even play one hole. I'd excuse myself to run to the rest room and just not come back.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

I wouldn't even play one hole. I'd excuse myself to run to the rest room and just not come back.

that's a good one.

thanks for that.

I rolling over in laughter

• Like 1