ole gray

Random Thread

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Is it just me, or do a lot of used iron sets now start at 6i?

I dropped my 5 iron a month or so ago.  I love hybrids so it isn't that big of a deal for me.  Just need to get on a launch monitor and work on gaping.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I dropped my 5 iron a month or so ago.  I love hybrids so it isn't that big of a deal for me.  Just need to get on a launch monitor and work on gaping.  

I ordered my set of irons starting with 6i and carry 3H, 4H, 5H.  6i is 26* loft and the 5H is 24.  Seems to work well for me.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Interesting you should say that. When I had my fitting this past May, his recommendation for irons started at 6i. I still play my C300's which start at 4i. For what it's worth I love my 5i. and would probably have my 4i in the bag if I had room for it. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Interesting you should say that. When I had my fitting this past May, his recommendation for irons started at 6i. I still play my C300's which start at 4i. For what it's worth I love my 5i. and would probably have my 4i in the bag if I had room for it. 

I totally see how hybrids are a better option for a lot of golfers up to the 5i (if not higher). For folks like me that cannot hit hybrids consistently, however, it's tougher to find a used set that lines up with what I need. My 4i normally stays in the closet, I'll bag it when I know there's a lot of tee shots I could use it on, but I do like my 5i and don't want to grab a set that doesn't have one. 

Looking exclusively at graphite seems to really exacerbate that issue too. I can find sets with 5i in steel without a problem, seems like the majority of used sets in graphite start at 6i (or even 7i in a lot of cases).

• Like 3

That’s because the 6 iron is anywhere from around 25-32° nowadays. Older clubs that would be a 4 or 5 iron.

Just because it is a 6 iron doesn’t mean it is any easier to hit then when a 4 was stamped on the bottom of it.

Technology helps, but 25° is 25° whether it is a 4,5,6,7 iron.
  • Like 7

My W/S C300's from last year; 6i=27, 5i =24*, 4i-21*. I also carry a 9W which is 23.5*. Not much difference in gapping between the 5i and the 9W. The big difference is hitting the ball out of our deep rough. There's no way that 9W would work for me in that situation. Also there are days when I'm hitting my irons well and the wood not so well and vice versa.  Guess what I'm saying is that for my game gapping is important, but equally important is having a lot of different 'arrows' or versatility in the bag.   

• Like 4

Creating GIFs for my review and updates on the putt out thread can be a pain sometimes. It's much easier when using my phone than GoPro but putting with a phone in my hands just doesn't work out well.

• Like 7

I just walked into a large golf store and didn't even look at clubs, much less hit one.  🙂  I did buy 2 pair of golf shorts, though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

The wife tried to tell me I'm not playing golf this weekend...

giphy.gif

That's grounds for a divorce!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Results for the Civil Service Lt. Exam are published today. I’ve hit refresh on my browser at least 300 times.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Results for the Civil Service Lt. Exam are published today. I’ve hit refresh on my browser at least 300 times.

Good luck!

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Good luck!

• Love 1

Good luck!

• Love 1

Good luck!

• Love 1

14 hours ago, bens197 said:

Now you just need to have your civil service board meet... ours cancels every freaking meeting we take forever to get the promotions lists.

BTW good luck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Now you just need to have your civil service board meet... ours cancels every freaking meeting we take forever to get the promotions lists.

BTW good luck

It’s certainly not the most efficient operation.  It did not post yesterday so hopefully we get results today.  Thanks brother.

Hope the new house is more fun than headache and that you’re settled in!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

It’s certainly not the most efficient operation.  It did not post yesterday so hopefully we get results today.  Thanks brother.

Hope the new house is more fun than headache and that you’re settled in!

Cleaning today before I go in for my nights. Bought the house and started my tour of work right away. I'm off most of the month so I'll be in it this next week. 

• Like 5

24 hours from now we'll be moving our oldest into college for her freshman year.

I'm a freaking wreck already. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3