Jump to content
ole gray

Random Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Pretty sure teachers assign homework to punish parents... 🤨

Ahh...must be common core...😁😂😅

 

MDGolfHacker

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ahh...must be common core...
 
MDGolfHacker


Only thing that is common is the shared migraine with the wife...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ahh...must be common core...
 
MDGolfHacker

I’ve been called common...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Only thing that is common is the shared migraine with the wife...

You’re just getting started, it’ll get....better


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Ahh...must be common core...😁😂😅

 

MDGolfHacker

Yeah, where 1 + 1 = 3 and you have to use half a page explaining how you got there.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, where 1 + 1 = 3 and you have to use half a page explaining how you got there.


I really don’t see the purpose of that kind of stuff.

Why over complicate simple math? A lot of kids struggle with it anyways. Then add these 47 steps to get an answer you could have gotten in 2 steps.
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

 


I really don’t see the purpose of that kind of stuff.

Why over complicate simple math? A lot of kids struggle with it anyways. Then add these 47 steps to get an answer you could have gotten in 2 steps.

 

Exactly right. When my son was bringing home that rubbish I showed him the way it should be worked out and left it at that. We never heard a peep out of the teacher, but I believe most teachers hate it too.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shankster said:

 


I really don’t see the purpose of that kind of stuff.

Why over complicate simple math? A lot of kids struggle with it anyways. Then add these 47 steps to get an answer you could have gotten in 2 steps.

 

I won't go into it too deeply, but common core came about from research that while students were able to learn mathematics by rote memorization of particular algorithms, they could not apply that knowledge to advanced mathematics.  Student lack, for all intensive purposes, "number sense" or the intuitive understanding of how numbers relate to each other.  When I TA'd a physics 101 help group, students looked like deer in the headlights when I started applying formulas to problems. It got worse a month or two into the semester as a bunch of them got confused and complained about memorizing so many formulas.  I showed them how the formulas all inter-related and how some formulas were actually the derivative of a  formula they already knew.  The light bulb finally went off for a few of them, lol.  My complaint isn't about common core, but the timing of when kids are learning it.  I say get the basics down first and then start common core in middle school.  Having to learn the basics of mathematics, then throwing common core in there just muddles up everything leaving not only the students, but the parents frustrated as well.

 

MDGolfHacker

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I believe it's an attempt to figure out government accounting methods 🙃.

You would also need a voodoo doll, a lock of hair and a divining rod as well😁😂😅

 

MDGolfHacker

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exactly right. When my son was bringing home that rubbish I showed him the way it should be worked out and left it at that. We never heard a peep out of the teacher, but I believe most teachers hate it too.

My daughter is a Teacher and yes they do.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met a absent golfing partner that I haven’t seen on the course forever.He was a real perfectionist on his game.From full swing down to a 1 foot putt.He was a real student of the game from online coaching to many a in person clinic.Got his game down to a 2 or 3 handicap as well.He told me one day he just decided to up and quit golf and never returned.That was almost 4 years ago.Really stunned me how one can just quit the game so briskly.And after all the effort and hard work he put into it.That is a bad sign for golf when guys like this leave 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had 9 of these Sandhill Cranes walking down the street. SWMBO was able to get a pic of these 7.IMG_3761.PNG


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Had 9 of these Sandhill Cranes walking down the street. SWMBO was able to get a pic of these 7.IMG_3761.PNG.1b5670302e2e4207ade3696cbcb33d07.PNG


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy


We used to have these all over in the UP by our house in the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

This spring one was right above our house squawking for 10-15 minutes. Then a whole bunch of them showed up.

Very interesting birds.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


We used to have these all over in the UP by our house in the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

This spring one was right above our house squawking for 10-15 minutes. Then a whole bunch of them showed up.

Very interesting birds.

Never saw one until we moved to FL. They are not afraid anything


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 1:53 AM, Twofer said:

Met a absent golfing partner that I haven’t seen on the course forever.He was a real perfectionist on his game.From full swing down to a 1 foot putt.He was a real student of the game from online coaching to many a in person clinic.Got his game down to a 2 or 3 handicap as well.He told me one day he just decided to up and quit golf and never returned.That was almost 4 years ago.Really stunned me how one can just quit the game so briskly.And after all the effort and hard work he put into it.That is a bad sign for golf when guys like this leave 

I’m seeing this more and more. What I don’t get his how some one can just quit immediately after doing a hobby for a decade or more. And doing a hobby avidly . Barring a major life changing event 

Edited by Big money
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big money said:

I’m seeing this more and more. What I don’t get his how some one can just quit immediately after doing a hobby for a decade or more. And doing a hobby avidly . Barring a major life changing event 

I can easily relate. My wife and I sailed for about 30 yrs. One day we just decided it was getting boring and wanted new challengers so we took up golf instead. There are several factors that can come into play outside of health and financial resources such as new and different challenges, .meeting new friends, etc. We're happy we did and had many great adventures and don't look back. It was great while we sailed, but with golf we met a lot of new friends, can go out in the evening, even in lousy weather,  and we help each other get better. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I can easily relate. My wife and I sailed for about 30 yrs. One day we just decided it was getting boring and wanted new challengers so we took up golf instead. There are several factors that can come into play outside of health and financial resources such as new and different challenges, .meeting new friends, etc. We're happy we did and had many great adventures and don't look back. It was great while we sailed, but with golf we met a lot of new friends, can go out in the evening, even in lousy weather,  and we help each other get better. 

Interesting tony. I’ve had this happen to couple of members of your group. We had a few guys quit mid season and never return to golf after playing avidly for decade upon decade. One second they are in our group. Next day in beyond they vanish like a ghost. Will see them in public and they tell me they just decided they needed to stop. Not sure if I can put the brakes on that fast when it comes to golf. And quit for good without ever wanting to come back one day. But these guys stuck to their words and never returned. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big money said:

Interesting tony. I’ve had this happen to couple of members of your group. We had a few guys quit mid season and never return to golf after playing avidly for decade upon decade. One second they are in our group. Next day in beyond they vanish like a ghost. Will see them in public and they tell me they just decided they needed to stop. Not sure if I can put the brakes on that fast when it comes to golf. And quit for good without ever wanting to come back one day. But these guys stuck to their words and never returned. 

Golf is a mentally punishing sport if you think about it.  You can play for the years, never get to scratch or as a plus golfer and have a swing that can literally be solid on one strike and slicing and hooking on the very next one or three🤦‍♂️.  You just get frustrated to the point where you decide enough is enough and find something else that can relax you more😁.  

 

MDGolfHacker

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...