Random Thread

Our Sponsors

I have a new employee who is taking all of Friday off in anticipation of changing her license & registration to RI from CT. It'll be a fiasco, guaranteed. 

Last time I went to DMV in CT it was a day trip. I was switching registration on a company car to my myself when I retired. Shouldn’t be. big deal but to them it was “end of world difficult”.
I hope it’s gotten better for your new girls sake. Pack a lunch!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you might get a kick out of this. I was surfing through the different threads on here and thought I had pressed on the community button. Anyways my wife popped in about the exact same time the

Well... Got lucky recently and won a little giveaway.

Not sure how many on here are familiar with “Les Miserables”, but my son plays the lead character, Jean Valjean, and my 9 year old daughter plays Little Cosette. Their opening night was last night, an

Posted Images

Just witnessed and heard something extremely disturbing.

Volunteering at the thrift shop my kids school runs.

A few old golf clubs for sale.

Kid says I only need a few to try out for the golf team.

Dad says golf is stupid, I can guarantee you I wouldn’t come watch.

Wow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Wow.

Wow is right. Real supportive of his kids.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wow.

Sounds like a bunch of the dads at my kids school! Golf doesn’t get the dad attention like football does. It’s more of an ego/ bravado thing. The funny thing is, the only athletes from my kids school to get even partial scholarship dollars have all been golfers! The two football stars who went D1 were both walk-on’s. The sad thing is, the overwhelming majority of those kids who play football to please “daddy” peak in high school.

• Like 3

Sounds like a bunch of the dads at my kids school! Golf doesn’t get the dad attention like football does. It’s more of an ego/ bravado thing. The funny thing is, the only athletes from my kids school to get even partial scholarship dollars have all been golfers! The two football stars who went D1 were both walk-on’s. The sad thing is, the overwhelming majority of those kids who play football to please “daddy” peak in high school.

I hear you. But after watching week in and week out college kids getting concussions and tearing things... the off chance that a kid gets hit with a golf ball seems like good odds.

I love football, but I am not going to push my boys to play, I won’t discourage them, but I am going to show them how badly they can get injured.

Band, and Art sound safe.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I hear you. But after watching week in and week out college kids getting concussions and tearing things... the off chance that a kid gets hit with a golf ball seems like good odds.

I love football, but I am not going to push my boys to play, I won’t discourage them, but I am going to show them how badly they can get injured.

Band, and Art sound safe.

My daughter will NOT let our grandson play tackle football, no way, no how.
He’s a good baseball player, soccer player and she’s good with that.
She let him play in a “Flag Football” league and he seems content with that. Baseball his 1st love.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

My daughter will NOT let our grandson play tackle football, no way, no how.
He’s a good baseball player, soccer player and she’s good with that.
She let him play in a “Flag Football” league and he seems content with that. Baseball his 1st love.

I was in the “my kids will play football” camp until one of them got hurt just playing in the yard.

Oldest boy likes Gymnastics, singing, and swimming.

Middle boy likes golf, baseball, and probably will be into the science side of things.

Littlest guy likes golf, soccer, and baseball.

Girls both want to run track, play soccer, and make delicious food.

Had a change in my priorities a while back, so I cut out most of my “me” time to focus on my kids. With 5 of them it’s hard to keep things fun sometimes, going 5 different directions each day is hard on my brain.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I always get a kick out of those dads when they ask what athletics/activities my kids are involved with. My response is usually along the lines of my oldest is in Marching Band and also plays guitar and mandolin at a high level. My youngest is on the middle school golf, swim and track teams.

I typically get the “oh man, I’m sorry and feel your pain” response.

I always take the opportunity to share my wife’s story. She was in marching band all through high school and college. Marching band took her to 30 states and 3 foreign countries. She was on the field for 2 Sugar Bowls, an Orange Bowl, a Gator Bowl and a Music City Bowl. One of the Sugar Bowls was the 1999/2000 National Championship game when Virginia Tech played Florida State.

• Like 8
I always get a kick out of those dads when they ask what athletics/activities my kids are involved with. My response is usually along the lines of my oldest is in Marching Band and also plays guitar and mandolin at a high level. My youngest is on the middle school golf, swim and track teams.

I typically get the “oh man, I’m sorry and feel your pain” response.

I always take the opportunity to share my wife’s story. She was in marching band all through high school and college. Marching band took her to 30 states and 3 foreign countries. She was on the field for 2 Sugar Bowls, an Orange Bowl, a Gator Bowl and a Music City Bowl. One of the Sugar Bowls was the 1999/2000 National Championship game when Virginia Tech played Florida State.

One of our Granddaughters is in the High School Marching Band and she loves it to death. One of the Band Competitions her high school was in was streamed live last weekend and we enjoyed watching it.
She needed something to do for Fall and that’s her thing. We are going to be be in CT next week and will attend the HS Football game that the Band will perform at 1/2 time.
In Spring she plays Varsity Tennis.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wow.

That's depressing - regardless of the sport why would a parent tell his/her children they won't come to watch.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Band is awesome. I got to go on several trips in HS. Played in one of the best bands in Michigan, Concert and Marching. Was the 5th chair Alto Sax while being the 1st Chair Baritone Sax at the same time (no not playing the instruments at the same time). Stupidly I quit for no reason during my junior year.

• Like 2
Band is awesome. I got to go on several trips in HS. Played in one of the best bands in Michigan, Concert and Marching. Was the 5th chair Alto Sax while being the 1st Chair Baritone Sax at the same time (no not playing the instruments at the same time). Stupidly I quit for no reason during my junior year.

My daughter is currently 2nd chair Alto Sax as a freshman.

• Like 2

Nice! That is very impressive! I was high as third chair Alto as a sophomore. But the Baritone Sax was where it was at. We had 12 Alto’s, 8 Tenors and 3 Baritone players at one point. Something about that big beast I enjoyed it, especially for the holiday Jazz band sessions we did.

Got my inspiration from Tower of Power - What is Hip
  • Like 2

Second quote. My daughter is in a new school and plays the flute. Can’t wait to see where she ends up. She has 3 years of playing time on everyone else. 7th grade.
  • Like 3

Can't wait for the "one time at band camp" stories!   😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

4 hours ago, Rickp said:

One of our Granddaughters is in the High School Marching Band and she loves it to death. One of the Band Competitions her high school was in was streamed live last weekend and we enjoyed watching it.
She needed something to do for Fall and that’s her thing. We are going to be be in CT next week and will attend the HS Football game that the Band will perform at 1/2 time.
In Spring she plays Varsity Tennis.

My niece was in marching band (Massillon Tigers)... look them up. She was voted Miss Massillonian, and is now a registered nurse. I'm very proud of her.

• Like 3

Ah marching band! NOW we're talking!! 

My wife and I both marched in high school, and I had an audition with Boston Crusaders. I blew my chance when I picked a fight with a wall... and the wall won.

Now my kids are huge in the marching arts. My daughter is now a freshman in college and marched 5 years on flute/piccolo, including her 8th grade year. The kids are back to back to back US Bands National Champions. She also won silver medal her junior year in WGI's Scholastic World division, she was a dancer for the high school's percussion group throughout high school.

My son's in 8th grade and he is in his second year with the high school, last year he was in the pit and this year he's marching toms. He's being taught by people who have marched with and/or written for groups like the Cadets, Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, Blue Knights and more. It's just an amazing, amazing program. I gladly give up my weekends this time of year to chaperone the kids to competitions all over New England, push props, help out, you name it. The growth these kids have in marching arts programs is astounding, and the skills they learn are easily transferred to just about every facet of life.

Oh and forgot: 3 of the kids in band with my son now are DCI Open Class World Champions after winning this last summer with Spartans DBC. So proud of them!!

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

My wife and I both marched in high school, and I had an audition with Boston Crusaders. I blew my chance when I picked a fight with a wall... and the wall won.
Now my kids are huge in the marching arts. My daughter is now a freshman in college and marched 5 years on flute/piccolo, including her 8th grade year. The kids are back to back to back US Bands National Champions. She also won silver medal her junior year in WGI's Scholastic World division, she was a dancer for the high school's percussion group throughout high school.
My son's in 8th grade and he is in his second year with the high school, last year he was in the pit and this year he's marching toms. He's being taught by people who have marched with and/or written for groups like the Cadets, Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, Blue Knights and more. It's just an amazing, amazing program. I gladly give up my weekends this time of year to chaperone the kids to competitions all over New England, push props, help out, you name it. The growth these kids have in marching arts programs is astounding, and the skills they learn are easily transferred to just about every facet of life.

New England has a history of good marching bands. Great for kids!

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

12 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Oh and forgot: 3 of the kids in band with my son now are DCI Open Class World Champions after winning this last summer with Spartans DBC. So proud of them!!

The school system my kids attend sounds similar.  Lots of tradition and accomplishment.  Students may enter "beginning band" in 6th grade but are required to have two years of beginning band before entering symphonic, jazz and marching band.  Most are marching by 8th grade, as was the case with my oldest daughter.  My younger daughter is in her first year of beginning band as a 6th grader so she will be marching by 8th grade as well.

I was never involved with band before meeting my wife.  She was a senior in the marching band at Virginia Tech.  It has been a huge part of her life that continues to this day.  Her best friends today are still the people she was in band with over 20 years ago.  

• Like 3