Random Thread

Our Sponsors

10 hours ago, kardboard.kid said:

you should try a philosophy style of paper report.  Go on and on and on and on about nothing, and then just restate.  Worked for me in college. 🙂

Have you ever thought about going into politics??  😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you might get a kick out of this. I was surfing through the different threads on here and thought I had pressed on the community button. Anyways my wife popped in about the exact same time the

Not sure how many on here are familiar with “Les Miserables”, but my son plays the lead character, Jean Valjean, and my 9 year old daughter plays Little Cosette. Their opening night was last night, an

Well... Got lucky recently and won a little giveaway.

Posted Images

Have you ever thought about going into politics??  

You just beat me to that line!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 11/18/2020 at 10:08 AM, artful_golfer said:

I don't think "old man, you are a creep get the heck out of here" is accurate. I have friends from young 20 somethings to 90 somethings. The older folks seem to want and need closer relationships than the younger crowd. I think the older crowd starts feeling left behind and insignificant. Given the chance to talk and asked do something with them becomes very special.

When my dad was 80 years old, for Christmas I gave him a fishing trip once a month for a year. It lasted much longer (until he was 84 and worried about losing his balance and falling off the boat). I don't care about fishing, I don't touch the bait or the fish but I became an expert with using needle nose pliers. I wanted quiet time with my dad to ask him stories about his life growing up and during WWII that he never talked about before. It turned into a special fun time for us with tons of memories. I wrote down the stories and gathered photos to accompany them in a hard bound book I gave him for his 89th birthday.

I had a very good, much older friend (late 80's) who loved to accompany me on out-of-town business day trips. We would always work in a stop and shop time wherever she chose. Along the way she told me many fascinating stories about her past and I didn't have to travel alone.

Before COVID lock down set in, when I would take my service dog with me to my parents assisted living facility, it took me a while to walk to their apartment because everyone in the living and dining room areas would stop me to pet my dog and then want to talk and tell me a memory. Younger people I saw somewhere else might ask to give my dog a quick pat on the head but never more than that.

Fishing hit a note with me....

We didn’t have much money growing-up, six kids, two teacher salaries, and one of them didn’t start working until I went to school (I’m the baby), oldest is 12 years older than me...

So, when I was the last at home for my final two years of HS, my Dad bought a little two-man Coleman boat, with oars. He loved to fish just for the peace-and-quiet. He didn’t care if he caught anything.... He’d always ask me if I wanted to go with him, and find a small lake to paddle around. 99% of the time, I said no... I was always very uncomfortable in that boat, and we never caught anything, which was the reason I would fish....

All of these years later, this is the one thing I would change if I could. I’d have gone fishing with my Dad 50% of the time, at least. I didn’t know then it was just to be around each other, and to enjoy some peace.... Ugh. 

• Like 6

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

We had to have our 15 year old lab put down about 8 years ago and we finally decided it was time for a new pet. My wife was leaning towards a cat. We went to a rescue shelter last night and found this boy....
20201124_230348.jpg.a584c8ee8fe326ae269b48d3882fd654.jpg
He's about 1.5 years old and lost his front paws when he was staying warm in an engine compartment and someone started the engine. He's a snuggly sweetheart and purrs so loud it sounds like a pigeon. His name is Bennett. I decided his full name needed to be Bennett Stumpington.

Great name!! SWMBO has gotten a few kittens from Rescue and it’s a great thing to do. Ours is almost 18 years old.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

58 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

We had to have our 15 year old lab put down about 8 years ago and we finally decided it was time for a new pet. My wife was leaning towards a cat. We went to a rescue shelter last night and found this boy....

He's about 1.5 years old and lost his front paws when he was staying warm in an engine compartment and someone started the engine. He's a snuggly sweetheart and purrs so loud it sounds like a pigeon. His name is Bennett. I decided his full name needed to be Bennett Stumpington.

Great name!

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Besides the unspoken s work, what do you guys think is the worst shot in golf? Besides missing the ball, i think its either the snap hook or the below:

Push Slice

ball-flight-800x450.jpg

I've been known to hit a few push slices that ended up on someone's rooftop

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Besides the unspoken s work, what do you guys think is the worst shot in golf? Besides missing the ball, i think its either the snap hook or the below:
Push Slice
ball-flight-800x450.jpg
I've been known to hit a few push slices that ended up on someone's rooftop

Oh ya!! I’ve hit my share of rooftops in FL!

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

On 11/18/2020 at 4:12 PM, russtopherb said:

So a few months back I had posted a pic of what was the former 6th green of the course 2 mins from my house that closed 5 years ago. It was an overgrown mess. 

I had noticed some work on the property to start cleaning things up a few weeks ago, it was right around the time I saw an article about concerns over abandoned/neglected properties and fire concerns due to how dry it was. As of today, the whole property is cleaned up, grass is cut, front gates have been removed and there's some traffic in and out. A buddy just heard that the course & the function hall onsite have finally been sold and the new owners are planning on re-opening both, and not using the land for development. Hope we get some real news soon. 

EDIT: Pic can be found in this post - 

Further updates - my regular playing partner and my father-in-law have both heard that the golf course and function hall have been purchased by a former commercial fishing magnate and should be re-opening next year. The function hall was/is gorgeous and was *the* place to go in town for weddings, reunions, fundraisers, etc. for decades. There's really no other function hall that size within about a 20 mile radius so it's not surprising it's reopening, but I'm really glad to know that the course is re-opening along with it. It's a short but hilly 9-hole track that my son and I can't wait to get back out on. I could walk 9 in 1:15 and for $15 twilight rate it was fantastic.

The property's website is still up and running, you can see some pics of what the course used to look like at http://hawthornecountryclub.net/golf/

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

10 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I love the name and am glad you decided to give him a forever home. 

• Like 3

Kids all woke up with sore throats, runny nose, and a cough... no work for me for a while... that means I will have stuff stacked to the ceiling when I get back... wonderful. 

the upside is, I will get to work on that pesky 100 and in range... and should be able to finish all of my college work for the rest of the semester.

• Like 3