Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Random Thread

ole gray

We looked into Solar, but decided to hold off since we most likely won't be in this house in 4-6 years, we feel we wouldn't get enough ROI to make it worth it. One company did offer roof replacement and we heavily discussed it since the roof could be an issue when we sell. Our house is 16 years old now and will be closer to 25 when we sell. 

We lived in AZ for 20 years and say we won't move back. I have family there, for retiring we are looking at the snowbird thing since April - Oct are out of comfort zone as far as heat goes. High 80's is much more doable than 105 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I saw online (I don’t remember where 🤦🏻‍♂️) a chart published by the USGA that recommended tee positions (course yardages) to play based on handicap. But I can’t seem to find it. And the USGA website is horrible to search. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so can someone share it? Thanks

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

I saw online (I don’t remember where 🤦🏻‍♂️) a chart published by the USGA that recommended tee positions (course yardages) to play based on handicap. But I can’t seem to find it. And the USGA website is horrible to search. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so can someone share it? Thanks

I remember someone posting that chart but I don't have it.  I thought it was a crock, probably based on averages, and it didn't come close to fitting me... but then I have always been an outlier.  

Depends on what part of the game determines your handicap.  The chart becomes skewed when someone has a decent short game.  Many high handicaps can hit the ball a long way, and playing shorter tees wouldn't be much fun.  Generally, low handicaps are supposed to be hitting from longer tees because the assumption is that they are longer hitters.  Not me!  If I remember correctly, the tees that I should be playing would require me to hit driver on all par 4's and 5's and maybe some par 3's; would mean that I can't reach some par 4's in two shots and some par 5's in 3 shots.  I can still play that set of tees, but it's not fun hitting FW and wedges all the time.  I have to rely heavily on my short game and putting to keep a single digit 'cap.

Basing the decision on which tees to play on driver distance is a better choice... NOT the decision based on 5i distance as I've also seen.  What's a 5i?  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I remember someone posting that chart but I don't have it.  I thought it was a crock, probably based on averages, and it didn't come close to fitting me... but then I have always been an outlier.  

Depends on what part of the game determines your handicap.  The chart becomes skewed when someone has a decent short game.  Many high handicaps can hit the ball a long way, and playing shorter tees wouldn't be much fun.  Generally, low handicaps are supposed to be hitting from longer tees because the assumption is that they are longer hitters.  Not me!  If I remember correctly, the tees that I should be playing would require me to hit driver on all par 4's and 5's and maybe some par 3's; would mean that I can't reach some par 4's in two shots and some par 5's in 3 shots.  I can still play that set of tees, but it's not fun hitting FW and wedges all the time.  I have to rely heavily on my short game and putting to keep a single digit 'cap.

Basing the decision on which tees to play on driver distance is a better choice... NOT the decision based on 5i distance as I've also seen.  What's a 5i?  🤣

It had a driver component to it as well. If memory serves if your driver average was 225 then it recommended 5700 to 6200 or something similar. This question was triggered by something I saw on golf Reddit. A user asked that since he was a beginner, should he be embarrassed by playing from the red tees and was there any advice on which tees to play.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

It had a driver component to it as well. If memory serves if your driver average was 225 then it recommended 5700 to 6200 or something similar. This question was triggered by something I saw on golf Reddit. A user asked that since he was a beginner, should he be embarrassed by playing from the red tees and was there any advice on which tees to play.

Nobody should be embarrassed to play the forward tees.  I play from there occasionally with my wife and her ladies group.  It's quite hard if you aren't used to it.  We have a few par 5's that I can't reach in two shots from the forward tee.  The real key, at least for me, if can I hit a mid-iron or less into par 4's.  It's a lot more fun than hitting long clubs into greens all the time.

We have a teaching pro here that has a stable of really good juniors.  When they play, he starts them out on the forward tees... no matter how far they hit the ball.  When they can shoot par, then he will let them move back a tee box... and so on.  They get a lot of practice on short game!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Agree with @Kenny B that should never be embarrassed to play forward tees. I should play whites, however nearly everyone I get paired out up with at my local course plays yellows so I join them. It doesn't make the course that much easier, however it does take some danger out of play for me. In the end as long as the golfer is having fun and enjoying themselves then that is what matters. Where they play from is really secondary, especially at the beginning!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

45 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nobody should be embarrassed to play the forward tees.  I play from there occasionally with my wife and her ladies group.  It's quite hard if you aren't used to it.  We have a few par 5's that I can't reach in two shots from the forward tee.  The real key, at least for me, if can I hit a mid-iron or less into par 4's.  It's a lot more fun than hitting long clubs into greens all the time.

We have a teaching pro here that has a stable of really good juniors.  When they play, he starts them out on the forward tees... no matter how far they hit the ball.  When they can shoot par, then he will let them move back a tee box... and so on.  They get a lot of practice on short game!!  

In theory I should play up a tee based on my cap but I play the tips because of my distance. Maybe for the winter and spring I’ll play one set up to see how and if that changes my scores

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

5 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

In theory I should play up a tee based on my cap but I play the tips because of my distance. Maybe for the winter and spring I’ll play one set up to see how and if that changes my scores

You will certainly get to play different clubs!!  If you spent as much time practicing your short game as you did your full swing the past couple of years, your scores will be in the high 70's/low 80's.  No joke!!!

9 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Just happen to have this from the PGA ...

20220922_120217.jpg.8e755d107a14652ec02f950b7e1b1887.jpg

Fits me spot on.  I'm averaging about 220-230 at the courses here and the white or white/blue combos seem right.  They have black tees here on all four courses that are at the 7000+ and they are lonely patches of turf 🙂.  I think it's pretty natural most guys want to play the long tees even though their game doesn't warrant it.  It's an ego thing.  That said, I'm not playing from the ladies tees Kenny... they are for ladies only 😆.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

50 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That said, I'm not playing from the ladies tees Kenny... they are for ladies only 😆.  

I won't tell you what Martha said, but I think you are afraid you will post a higher score than you do from the white/blue combo.  😂

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I won't tell you what Martha said, but I think you are afraid you will post a higher score than you do from the white/blue combo.  😂

Probably.  Hitting wedge second shots would be totally foreign to me. Oh, and tell Martha I said the men's tee is for men only and share her response with us 🤣.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Probably.  Hitting wedge second shots would be totally foreign to me. Oh, and tell Martha I said the men's tee is for men only and share her response with us 🤣.

When the course turns off the irrigation for the winter, Martha is moving back to the White tees to prepare for the longer Red tees in AZ.  I guess that means I have to move back to the Blue tees again.  

She has no response; but there is one woman here that I know can outdrive you from the Blue tees you played when you were here.  😂  

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

When the course turns off the irrigation for the winter, Martha is moving back to the White tees to prepare for the longer Red tees in AZ.  I guess that means I have to move back to the Blue tees again.  

She has no response; but there is one woman here that I know can outdrive you from the Blue tees you played when you were here.  😂  

Yea, but only one... that's saying something 😊.  Men's league here starts 11/2... overseed is looking awesome... excitement level rising 👍.

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yea, but only one... that's saying something 😊.  Men's league here starts 11/2... overseed is looking awesome... excitement level rising 👍.

Yeah... well... she isn't here right now either.  She's a freshman on the UW Golf Team.  🤣

I have a doctor appt on Friday, so I went to get my blood work done today.  Here's the result...  🤬

IMG_7821.jpeg.dc6847f79b5e3f53a2cd64a4dc0acf66.jpeg

One person started with my right arm, put the needle in and wiggled it around a lot... got a drop or two.  Then tried the same spot on my left arm... nothing.  Didn't try a 3rd time; called in another lady to try a vein in my left hand.  Nope!!  Then she went back to the right arm and tried another spot... success!!  Going to try another location next time.

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I have a doctor appt on Friday, so I went to get my blood work done today.  Here's the result...  🤬

One person started with my right arm, put the needle in and wiggled it around a lot... got a drop or two.  Then tried the same spot on my left arm... nothing.  Didn't try a 3rd time; called in another lady to try a vein in my left hand.  Nope!!  Then she went back to the right arm and tried another spot... success!!  Going to try another location next time.

WOW!!  That’s brutal!!  Was this Training Day 😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

23 minutes ago, Rickp said:

WOW!!  That’s brutal!!  Was this Training Day 😱

Not that I was aware of.  Two ladies working in two different rooms.  I didn't recognize either one of them from my last visit.  Last time they got it first time and didn't hurt... the first 3 times today hurt!

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

That looks brutal, Kenny. I feel for you right now, I hate getting blood drawn. I guess it's a childhood trauma thing where I had to get tested before my surgeries. Last time I got stuck, the lady missed the vein and I bled like a stuck pig. 

I'm glad they were finally able to get you taken care of. 

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

That looks brutal, Kenny. I feel for you right now, I hate getting blood drawn. I guess it's a childhood trauma thing where I had to get tested before my surgeries. Last time I got stuck, the lady missed the vein and I bled like a stuck pig. 

I'm glad they were finally able to get you taken care of. 

You would think that something they do all day long every day, they would be better at it.  Our old doctor had someone in his office to draw blood, and she was good.  Too bad he moved out of state.

New nickname on the block. "Kenny the pin cushion".  That doesn’t look like it was fun.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Dang Kenny I can see those veins from here in PA and I’m a measly medic lol

On 10/15/2022 at 11:06 PM, Kenny B said:

I have to agree with you 110% on distance. With my injuries and half swing now I only hit the ball about 210 220 at sea level with a driver. Around here they tend to do tees according to age. I decided about a month ago to move up from the Senior Gold tees to the Super Senior Green tees. I am only 65 but have the back of a 75 year old. The way our course is set up it was difficult for me to clear hazards on 2 of the Par5s in two leaving me a 3rd shot of about 160 or so into a Par 5. Now that is ok sometimes when say you miss a drive I can accept that but constantly when you are hitting it as well and as far as you can it gets to be somewhat dishearting. Some of the Par 4s I could hit a drive good and have a 7 wood or even a 3 wood for a 2nd shot. In reality the only way i was able to play decently was my short game. I decided a month ago to move up one set. I did discuss this with my head Pro and he agreed. I also discussed it with several members and they were ok with it since all the regulars know my situation. I shot some yardage distances and it averages out to around 25 yards per hole. Those 2 Par 5s it is around 40 yards which gives me a reasonable chance to clear the hazards on the 2nd shot and set up like a 8 thru PW for the 3rd. It was seriously getting to where the game was a drag for me off the Gold tees and I seriously thought of quitting period. I had basically came with the attitude that I was moving up period and if anyone did not like it I would quit playing all the scrambles period. We do not have real club events other than scrambles or shootouts as they call them and I do not keep a stipulated handicap. Now playing vintage is an whole different animal for me. There I am just hitting the ball with old stuff and enjoying it. It is kinda bad when you are on a scramble team and the only time they use your drive is when they all mess up and you are in the fairway I had gotten to the point in some of the scrambles if my partners hit a good drive I did not even tee it up

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 10/15/2022 at 10:06 PM, MattWillGolf said:

Yeah it is familiar because the USGA screws up anything they do. Yeah that autocratic self serving bunch could screw up steel ball bearings with a rubber mallett

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

That 3rd time I would have walked out period. Of course now days with all the shots they want you to get along with a booster for this and that it is a wonder all of America is not one big pin cushion. I know the pharmacies are once again pushing the flu shots must be big bucks in that. I was in Kroger the other day and they were soliciting flu shots. I told them no thanks. Was in Wally World yesterday ( first time in 3 years) and they solicited me then and I had enough. I told that lady if you think I am going to let a Wal Mart employee stick me with a needle you must be expletive nuts!!!!!!

G

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Woof, looks like the new guys in MEPS before leaving for boot camp….hopefully they didn’t blow anything out!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

That 3rd time I would have walked out period. Of course now days with all the shots they want you to get along with a booster for this and that it is a wonder all of America is not one big pin cushion. I know the pharmacies are once again pushing the flu shots must be big bucks in that. I was in Kroger the other day and they were soliciting flu shots. I told them no thanks. Was in Wally World yesterday ( first time in 3 years) and they solicited me then and I had enough. I told that lady if you think I am going to let a Wal Mart employee stick me with a needle you must be expletive nuts!!!!!!

And when you say no to it you get the look of “do you not care about your health?!”

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

8 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I have to agree with you 110% on distance. With my injuries and half swing now I only hit the ball about 210 220 at sea level with a driver. Around here they tend to do tees according to age. I decided about a month ago to move up from the Senior Gold tees to the Super Senior Green tees. I am only 65 but have the back of a 75 year old. The way our course is set up it was difficult for me to clear hazards on 2 of the Par5s in two leaving me a 3rd shot of about 160 or so into a Par 5. Now that is ok sometimes when say you miss a drive I can accept that but constantly when you are hitting it as well and as far as you can it gets to be somewhat dishearting. Some of the Par 4s I could hit a drive good and have a 7 wood or even a 3 wood for a 2nd shot. In reality the only way i was able to play decently was my short game. I decided a month ago to move up one set. I did discuss this with my head Pro and he agreed. I also discussed it with several members and they were ok with it since all the regulars know my situation. I shot some yardage distances and it averages out to around 25 yards per hole. Those 2 Par 5s it is around 40 yards which gives me a reasonable chance to clear the hazards on the 2nd shot and set up like a 8 thru PW for the 3rd. It was seriously getting to where the game was a drag for me off the Gold tees and I seriously thought of quitting period. I had basically came with the attitude that I was moving up period and if anyone did not like it I would quit playing all the scrambles period. We do not have real club events other than scrambles or shootouts as they call them and I do not keep a stipulated handicap. Now playing vintage is an whole different animal for me. There I am just hitting the ball with old stuff and enjoying it. It is kinda bad when you are on a scramble team and the only time they use your drive is when they all mess up and you are in the fairway I had gotten to the point in some of the scrambles if my partners hit a good drive I did not even tee it up

Yep!  You and I are about the same... and I have the back of a 75 year old because, well... I am 75!  I have the same obstacles, and even if I hit in dead center in the fairway, the course architect decided to put upslopes there right where my ball landed after a good drive!!  Killed any roll distance.  On our par 5 #5 hole there is only about 10-15 yards difference between the Blue and White (senior) tees, but clearing that slope gives me another 40 yards of roll.  Now I can hit a 3W for my second and an iron for my 3rd, instead of 3W, 3W and maybe still not get there if there is a headwind.  Moving up also allows me to hit a 5-6 iron on the par 3 #8 instead of a 3W or driver.  It's made a huge difference in my fun factor.  I don't play in any tournaments or scrambles anymore (unless my wife signs me up for a charity thing) because I would have to play from the Blue tees and my drives would never be used, even though my handicap from those tees is a 7.

4 hours ago, Lacassem said:

And when you say no to it you get the look of “do you not care about your health?!”

Nope because the second time I tell them it is because of my religious beliefs. That cuts them off at the knees----- As far as their looks or opinion I could care less to be blunt about it

G