Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Vs. Driver - Finale

GolfSpy Barbajo

Shaft info:

Aldila Rogue Tour Silver 125 MSI 60 is stock in S and XS. Rogue Black 95 MSI 60 is stock in Senior and Regular.

No uncharge options include;

Matrix Speed Rulz 44 & 65

Ozik 55X4 White Tie

Ozik 65Q4 Red Tie

Ozik 75M4 Black Tie

Fubuki Z50 & Z60

Project X HZRDUS Black 65 & 75

Project X HZRDUS Red 65 & 75

Oban Kiyoshi HB 55, 65 & 75

And every other shaft under the sun is available at an uncharge.

I saw these and was relieved. Wilson was lagging way behind everyone else, besides Ping, in the free shaft upgrade category. They needed more options.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it interesting that they aired Streelman saying something to the affect of "I won't bag a Wilson driver over my current non-Wilson if it's not as good"

Regardless if everyone knows they don't have exclusive deals, just seemed weird to call out your own brand.

Kind of liberal interpretation of what he said -- although I don't think any of Wilson's Tour players game Wilson drivers right now.  

Streelman did fiddle with the F5 when it first came out, but he didn't bag it in competition. It is funny that no matter what they use, they do put a Wilson head cover on it!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

In my VERY limited testing, It is Good.... Very good.   

The crazy thing is that every single player that I have had try this club so far has just peppered the center of the face.  I have hit about 75 shots, and only missed the center 3 times, and I am not that good.  There might be something to the alignment aid.

The spin numbers are really low.  

There are tons of adjustments. Getting the correct setting could be very Titleist like...  

I hope that the Triton is a retail success..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The crazy thing is that every single player that I have had try this club so far has just peppered the center of the face.  I have hit about 75 shots, and only missed the center 3 times, and I am not that good.  There might be something to the alignment aid.

There are tons of adjustments. Getting the correct setting could be very Titleist like...  

Obviously this is 100% subjective but what's the forgiveness like and how would you compare this to the M-series of drivers?

I'm probably in the market for a new driver this year. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Obviously this is 100% subjective but what's the forgiveness like and how would you compare this to the M-series of drivers?

I'm probably in the market for a new driver this year. 

Way too early to tell for me.  I have tested both M1 and M2, and find the M2 to be easier to hit, and in my very limited testing of Triton, shots seemed to go pretty much were I aimed them. I didn't miss the center very often, so that may have had something to do with the accuracy. 

If you are in the market, I would absolutely include the Triton in the mix of drivers to test.  The alignment aid is a little off-putting at first, but after 3 swings, I didn't even see it.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

The alignment aid reminds of the True Aim concept. Never really took off, but the results were very intriguing. I'm pretty sure I still have a set in my office.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/4744-true-aim-the-next-big-innovation-in-driver-technology/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The alignment aid reminds of the True Aim concept. Never really took off, but the results were very intriguing. I'm pretty sure I still have a set in my office.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/4744-true-aim-the-next-big-innovation-in-driver-technology/

I have some in my desk as well....  

Might have to break them out this winter and re-test them ..

Here are some promo pics that just came through...

attachicon.gifDVD_TRITON_FACE_APPROACH.jpg

attachicon.gifDVD_TRITON_TECH.jpg

attachicon.gifDVD_TRITON_WORM_EXPLODED.jpg

And the Spec sheet and fitting guide...

attachicon.gif16-2510_DVD_Winning_Driver_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Thanks for that spec sheet.  And for those that say Titleist makes it to complicated to understand needing a chart with their sure fit hosel, will faint when they see this one...LOL

Exactly my thoughts when I saw the fitting chart, see my post above.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

They were out in my local store today as well.   Only tried the 10.5 , stock shaft in regular flex and didn't have the ability to tinker with the settings or other shafts.  The sight line wasn't too distracting nor did I find it extremely beneficial.   This is going to be a club that you definitely need to adjust to get the fitting right.  I launched this club low with a draw vs my normal higher trajectory with a slight fade.  Solid feel and sound.   Talked with the owner of the store and he hit the club high with a fade bias.    One thing we noticed while looking at the clubs is that the sole plate might be a questionable area.  On several of the drivers he received the sole plate rattled when setting the club was placed on the ground and we were unable to get it tight.  Interesting that without the soleplate you can see inside the head.

Would like to be able to test different shafts and change the settings to see how it compares to my current driver.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My Pro Shop has 24 of the Triton Drivers....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

$449 less club member 10% discount......should I get one?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

DON'T ASK BUY NOW!

What he said -- BUY! BUY!!!

Were you able to try it?  I'm heading to a demo in the morning...will report back.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Don't order the wrong item.

triton.jpeg

Really? That would be hilarious lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nope, not yet, they have not received their invoice yet so they can't put them into their computer....LOL

I found it interesting that they aired Streelman saying something to the affect of "I won't bag a Wilson driver over my current non-Wilson if it's not as good"

Regardless if everyone knows they don't have exclusive deals, just seemed weird to call out your own brand.

He had a Ping G in the bag at the RSM. I walked 5 holes with him inside the ropes on Sunday.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• SPY VIP

He had a Ping G in the bag at the RSM. I walked 5 holes with him inside the ropes on Sunday.

You think he's all in on the Triton this week?

If Wilson staffers aren't playing this thing, it's an epic fail.

- sent from space

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Not sure but also not surprised that he did not have it in play since it was before the finale of the show. I would agree that it would not be great if the pros bail on it early.

I am not sure based on the design how many of the pro would actually bag it but I am sure a bunch will give it a try. I have a feeling that the stripe on top may be a deal breaker for some of the staffers.

WITB 2024

Going to a demo day tomorrow - you guys interested in a Periscope of the event?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Not sure but also not surprised that he did not have it in play since it was before the finale of the show. I would agree that it would not be great if the pros bail on it early.

I am not sure based on the design how many of the pro would actually bag it but I am sure a bunch will give it a try. I have a feeling that the stripe on top may be a deal breaker for some of the staffers.

What will be interesting to see is how many pros bag it and have the alignment aid painted black.

- sent from space

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

What will be interesting to see is how many pros bag it and have the alignment aid painted black.

- sent from space

Wonder if that alignment aid will hurt those who prefer to shape shots?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Got to take it for a test run - not bad at all. Sucker is low spin, that's for sure.

Hit the 9 and spin was in the 2000 to 2200 range. Gained about 5-10 yards total over my Nike - a lot of it was roll. Nine had a fit shaft - there was no real adjustment done on the Triton.

Gray stripe isn't distracting at all. But proper fitting is critical. I'll give it a thumbs up - worth your time to demo.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And while at the PGA SuoerStor, saw this nice surprise...

IMG_1570.JPG

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wonder if that alignment aid will hurt those who prefer to shape shots?

It would personally drive me nuts, but I like a clean crown to begin with.

WITB 2024

And while at the PGA SuoerStor, saw this nice surprise...

attachicon.gifIMG_1570.JPG

Did they have any 54's or 58's?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Did they have any 54's or 58's?

Didn't check specifically, but they had a ton of wedges on the rack

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived