TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Vs. Driver - Finale

GolfSpy Barbajo

Watched entire series with my hall of fame clubfitter best friend. His insights were interesting . All input on 1-10 scale w 10 best. Concept of show 9 Content 7 Fluidity of broadcast 5 Did right driver win? I assume yes Would have liked way more technical information and maybe a Wrxgolf team test with 30-40 of us with final 3 products Bottom of driver seems cool attractive and like it has street cred But I'd never buy the driver with the top of the head unless you could fill it in and paint it same color of rest of head Hate they alignment thing Even it was my top performer in a test I would not play anything that looked like that sorry I hope they bring show back with some upgrades It is a great concept

Scratch Kelly

Franklin, TN

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God, why did you guys have to post this? I'm tempted to put a few of these in the cart.

Online has smaller selection, 5 lofts in RH with KBS tour, only 45 degree with genius shaft. Wish they'd let you choose the 3 lofts for the 129 package deal.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

In my VERY limited testing, It is Good.... Very good.

The crazy thing is that every single player that I have had try this club so far has just peppered the center of the face. I have hit about 75 shots, and only missed the center 3 times, and I am not that good. There might be something to the alignment aid.

The spin numbers are really low.

There are tons of adjustments. Getting the correct setting could be very Titleist like...

I hope that the Triton is a retail success..

Which sole plate did you have in there? Or did you switch back and forth?

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

What will be interesting to see is how many pros bag it and have the alignment aid painted black.

- sent from space

Supposedly Streelman, Paddy, Barnes and I think Steele are gaming without being paid.

Thanks for that spec sheet. And for those that say Titleist makes it to complicated to understand needing a chart with their sure fit hosel, will faint when they see this one...LOL

Exactly my thoughts when I saw the fitting chart, see my post above.

My biggest concern as a fitter is going to be putting this thing in someone's hands with the right plate and weights to put it in the running before we start fine tuning the final couple.

Which sole plate did you have in there? Or did you switch back and forth?

I am a low spin player, so the ti sole plate is the correct fit for me. I tried both, and there are some settings with the carbon plate that would be playable.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I am a low spin player, so the ti sole plate is the correct fit for me. I tried both, and there are some settings with the carbon plate that would be playable.

This thing may wind up being a tinkerers delight, but most folks are gonna need some fitting help. A friend went through a full fitting yesterday and was hitting her gamer - which had been fit for her, around 160 or so. After going through the fitting process with the Triton she was up close to 200.

It brings into question her first fitting, but she was sold. And I had to laugh when she asked how she could buy this thing without her husband knowing. Apparently women with husbands that don't golf have the same problem as men

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It brings into question her first fitting, but she was sold. And I had to laugh when she asked how she could buy this thing without her husband knowing. Apparently women with husbands that don't golf have the same problem as men

Now THAT is funny!

donor-1-year.gif

What's in the bag:

Driver - Rogue

Woods - Titleist 917F 16.5 degree

Hybrid - Titleist 915H

Irons - Ping i200

Wedges - 56 Vokey, 60 PXG

Putter - EVNRoll ER9  10K

Ball - Snell My Tour Ball

Did you guys see this?????

Triton not yet on USGA conforming list!!!

http://golfweek.com/2016/11/26/driver-error-wilson-triton-weeks-away-from-usga-approval/

Yeah - the rep told me that yesterday. They didn't have stock until Nov 7th and they decided not to submit it to the USGA until last week. Decision of secrecy vs. USGA approval. They apparently didn't want to risk any leaks before the finale.

They say they don't expect any issues with getting approval - but it may take a couple weeks.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I went to their website via clicking a link in an email from Wilson:  http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/drivers/driver-vs-driver    

For the heck of it, I put together a "custom" club and tried to add it to my shopping cart, nope.   Website isn't working, that's not good after they built up the hype for this club.....

donor-1-year.gif

What's in the bag:

Driver - Rogue

Woods - Titleist 917F 16.5 degree

Hybrid - Titleist 915H

Irons - Ping i200

Wedges - 56 Vokey, 60 PXG

Putter - EVNRoll ER9  10K

Ball - Snell My Tour Ball

I went to their website via clicking a link in an email from Wilson:  http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/drivers/driver-vs-driver    

For the heck of it, I put together a "custom" club and tried to add it to my shopping cart, nope.   Website isn't working, that's not good after they built up the hype for this club.....

Looks like the website is down for some reason. Lemme check with the local rep, see if he knows anything about it...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I thought I heard that the carbon plate was designed to be lower spin?

I know it's not USGA conforming yet, but honestly does that really affect 99.9% of us it doesn't clear approval?

Doesn't it really only "matter" if you're playing a USGA tournament?

Yes it would not able to be played on tour which would keep some (probably most) people from even trying it, but to me it's stupid that it has to be played on tour for someone to even consider it. Those men and women are paid to play their clubs, and they 100x better than 99.99% of us. We are nowhere close to touring pros and their decision to play X club "shouldn't" affect whether you play it or not.

And before too many people ****** about playing non-conforming equipment, they didn't design it to be outside the club design limits AND there's plenty of you using "illegal" Ping eye 2 and Cleveland wedges out there.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I thought I heard that the carbon plate was designed to be lower spin?

It is lighter weight, so it essentially creates a higher CG driver. Lower Launch and lower spin. I could play it with the carbon sole plate in a higher loft and different shaft.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I Finally watched the Finale today, even though I had known all week which one won. It would Have been impossible to not hear and still watch the golf channel. Ha

Seems like a solid offering and something I will try eventually. Having just bought a 917. I'm not in a rush to buy another driver just yet.

Glad for Eric, he was kinda my favorite personality the whole time.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

They've spent a lot of money just to hype this, that I don't think they'll ever recoup. Who's gonna buy this when the SLDR-C is $89? Am I right?

LMAO!!   No reasonable person that's for sure  :lol:

Will only outsell the SLDR-C if the Triton comes with a Miyazaki shaft rather than that garbage Rogue

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

it may have been asked and answered.  But does anyone know if Gavin got to keep at least one Pivot driver for himself.  I understand Wilson owns the IP for all the finalists.  But it would be pretty sad if he didn't get to keep one for his own use, in my mind. 

Blog on the Triton has been published....

http://www.mygolfspy.com/first-look-wilson-staff-triton-driver/

Gotta say a few things...

Been reading on social media and other places that people are thinking this is butt ugly -- really???  It's more angular than a classic driver, that's for sure. Does the stripe bother anyone? After a couple of swings it was barely noticeable. I'm still not sure if it actually does anything to help hit the sweet spot -- will need some more work with it to really find out, but I'm not sure I'd call it ugly.  It's a driver, for Pete's sake!

Soundwise, it's definitely a weird sound -- very much like the Wilson FG Tour F5.  I think the weirdness gets interpreted as loud, but it's really just different.  I was in a PGATSS where about 6 or 7 people were hitting it and, while the sound was different, it wasn't cringe-worthy -- nowhere near the sound of the old Nike Square Sasquatch or the Cleveland HiBore. Those suckers made people stop on the range and look for a drive by...

Performance wise - it's designed not to slice. Very closed face that you can actually adjust be to more closed if need be.  Very easy to draw and it's definitely low spin and low launch. I hit it with the default setup -- 8 gram carbon fiber sole plate with weights set up for high launch, and I was in the 14.5* launch angle range -- and I struggle with hitting the ball too high at times.  Penetrating indeed!

Spin numbers were stupid low -- sub 2000 average. Pat Scott, the Wilson Regional Rep, suggested lofting up to 10 degrees to see what would happen, but I was pretty happy with distance. More carry than my Nike gamer, and about 9 yards more overall on average - and that's with no optimized setup.  I'm hoping to go through a full fitting sometime soon to make sure the shaft and weight setup is right.  

Bottom line, based on early results I'd game it. Few others I'd like to try as well, but this one is definitely in the conversation.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not sure what to make of this thing, All I've seen are pictures but I'm inclined to not be interested. I don't like a closed face for one thing and that alignment aid on the crown seems a little much. I personally don't need any alignment aid. I align and square the face visually. Also, too complicated to adjust. But who knows. I wish Wilson the best.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Blog on the Triton has been published....

http://www.mygolfspy.com/first-look-wilson-staff-triton-driver/

Gotta say a few things...

Been reading on social media and other places that people are thinking this is butt ugly -- really??? It's more angular than a classic driver, that's for sure. Does the stripe bother anyone? After a couple of swings it was barely noticeable. I'm still not sure if it actually does anything to help hit the sweet spot -- will need some more work with it to really find out, but I'm not sure I'd call it ugly. It's a driver, for Pete's sake!

Soundwise, it's definitely a weird sound -- very much like the Wilson FG Tour F5. I think the weirdness gets interpreted as loud, but it's really just different. I was in a PGATSS where about 6 or 7 people were hitting it and, while the sound was different, it wasn't cringe-worthy -- nowhere near the sound of the old Nike Square Sasquatch or the Cleveland HiBore. Those suckers made people stop on the range and look for a drive by...

Performance wise - it's designed not to slice. Very closed face that you can actually adjust be to more closed if need be. Very easy to draw and it's definitely low spin and low launch. I hit it with the default setup -- 8 gram carbon fiber sole plate with weights set up for high launch, and I was in the 14.5* launch angle range -- and I struggle with hitting the ball too high at times. Penetrating indeed!

Spin numbers were stupid low -- sub 2000 average. Pat Scott, the Wilson Regional Rep, suggested lofting up to 10 degrees to see what would happen, but I was pretty happy with distance. More carry than my Nike gamer, and about 9 yards more overall on average - and that's with no optimized setup. I'm hoping to go through a full fitting sometime soon to make sure the shaft and weight setup is right.

Bottom line, based on early results I'd game it. Few others I'd like to try as well, but this one is definitely in the conversation.

John

Can you review it side by side with the SLDR-C? Then we can get a real benchmark for performance. In all seriousness - give or take the looks it seems to have people talking about Staff again

In all seriousness - give or take the looks it seems to have people talking about Staff again

In the big picture, I think that was the whole point of both the show and the driver - it's part of a larger branding initiative and I believe has an entirely different set of metrics for Wilson to determine its success.  It's not as simple as outselling Cally or TM, or being a success on Tour. As stated in the blog, the real story will be read in 12 to 24 months -- has Wilson experienced a noticeable and sustainable spike in sales beyond what they've been experiencing over the past several years. It's about more than just driver sales - there's been more Wilson Staff talk in the past week than the past 5 years put together.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The New irons look fantastic - I hope they have a great 2017

I hit it today and she is definitely low spin and launch. I didn't even get my hands on the x shaft or the carbon fiber sole plate either. The sound was iffy but who gives a crap. Overall it was decent except I was hitting a lot of low hooks with it.

Anyone who has fade and spin problems should check this thing out. Wilson has something here. Gonna tinker with it next week when my buddy is at the shop.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I hit it last night. Grey stripe not distracting at all. Sound was like a old aluminum bat at a batting cage. Not off putting, but just weird. Overall a solid driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver- Callaway 815 Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond

3 Wood- Callaway 815 Big Berth Alpha

3 -5 Hybrids Callaway Apex

6-PW- 2014 Callaway Apex Pro

50,54, 58 Wedges- Callaway MD3

Putter- SeeMore FGP

Ball- Kirkland Signature and Snell MTB

Archived