Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Vs. Driver - Finale

GolfSpy Barbajo

I did just a little testing myself last night. It does set up very closed, but I was still able to hit is straight or right if I wanted to. The sound is a little off putting, but nothing crazy. We didn't have a lot of shaft options, but I did notice something on the track man. The head seemed to measure a little faster club head speed, but the smash factor was low. I asked a couple of the guys at work and they said they've noticed clubs with weights have a tendency to do that. I didn't mess around with sole plates or anything, but I plan on taking about an hour or so to dial this in when I get a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to get it out on the course yesterday for a full test.  I drew quite a lot of attention from a lot of guys on the range once they saw the headcover.  Everyone was familiar with the show and wanted to give it a try.  The sound is much better with the hotmelt and really doesn't sound any different than the Ping G drivers.

Performance on the course was fantastic!  The results I saw while being fit were exactly what I got on the course.  It definitely flies lower but this caused a TON of roll out which gave me quite an overall distance boost.  Conditions here in TN are pretty dry so the ground was hard and running.  

I hit a couple out of the heel and was extremely surprised how far the miss hits went.  I was also amazed at how straight they were.  You can tell the spin is very low given how straight each shot was.  I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the Aldila Rogue 125 shaft.

Towards the end of the round I was starting to hit some more fades due to fatigue and/or the layers of clothes I had to wear.  I actually found it harder to turn over and it may be because the Rogue shaft plays very stout.  I was also playing the 6 gram weight in the toe with (2) 2 gram weights in the back and heel.  Contrary to what everyone has been saying the face is NOT closed and sits square.  I can see it appearing that way given the stripe on the top but the actual face angle is perfectly square.  The lie angle is also considerably flatter than most drivers on the market which is refreshing.    If you change the shaft adapter to the "draw" settings it sets the lie angle more upright and looks like a more modern lie angle you would see on current drivers.

Given the late round fades I'm going to adjust the 6 gram weight into the heel and turn the hosel adapter to the draw setting to make it more upright.  I think this will help me turn it over more given the stoutness of the Aldila Shaft.  In the warmer months I may switch it back since I can swing faster and more freely since I won't have winter jackets on.

Overall this club is cool.  It's different looking but the performance is fantastic and has performed every bit, if not better, than anything else out there I've tried.  With the amount of adjustability it offers there really shouldn't be many people on the planet that it can't be fit to. 

My bag is a revolving door!

I was able to get it out on the course yesterday for a full test.  I drew quite a lot of attention from a lot of guys on the range once they saw the headcover.  Everyone was familiar with the show and wanted to give it a try.  The sound is much better with the hotmelt and really doesn't sound any different than the Ping G drivers.Performance on the course was fantastic!  The results I saw while being fit were exactly what I got on the course.  It definitely flies lower but this caused a TON of roll out which gave me quite an overall distance boost.  Conditions here in TN are pretty dry so the ground was hard and running.  I hit a couple out of the heel and was extremely surprised how far the miss hits went.  I was also amazed at how straight they were.  You can tell the spin is very low given how straight each shot was.  I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the Aldila Rogue 125 shaft.Towards the end of the round I was starting to hit some more fades due to fatigue and/or the layers of clothes I had to wear.  I actually found it harder to turn over and it may be because the Rogue shaft plays very stout.  I was also playing the 6 gram weight in the toe with (2) 2 gram weights in the back and heel.  Contrary to what everyone has been saying the face is NOT closed and sits square.  I can see it appearing that way given the stripe on the top but the actual face angle is perfectly square.  The lie angle is also considerably flatter than most drivers on the market which is refreshing.    If you change the shaft adapter to the "draw" settings it sets the lie angle more upright and looks like a more modern lie angle you would see on current drivers.Given the late round fades I'm going to adjust the 6 gram weight into the heel and turn the hosel adapter to the draw setting to make it more upright.  I think this will help me turn it over more given the stoutness of the Aldila Shaft.  In the warmer months I may switch it back since I can swing faster and more freely since I won't have winter jackets on.Overall this club is cool.  It's different looking but the performance is fantastic and has performed every bit, if not better, than anything else out there I've tried.  With the amount of adjustability it offers there really shouldn't be many people on the planet that it can't be fit to. 

I agree with everything you said except for the face angle. Its definitely a degree closed. I hovered the driver off the ground to help square it up but even then it wants to set up closed.

I think this is gonna be a really good driver for most golfers if they bother to get fit for it.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Interesting. I wonder if there are some manufacturing tolerances that can be the difference?

I saw that suggested somewhere else so I'm sure its possible. I'd love to get my hands on a square head or even one with 1* open face. Chances of that happening are slim though. Being off 1* is well within manufacturing standards I would venture to guess. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Archived