TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which Is Your Preference?

Sschaffer24

My wife and I have an unlimited cart pass and we ride on the weekends; also during the summer after work.  On Monday and Wednesday mornings I walk with my Sun Mountain pushcart and bag with the guys from the club.  The front nine is quite hilly and worse off the fairways so I always play for the middle of the fairway.   B)   I am almost 70 and I like the exercise; it's good therapy for my left knee that was replaced 3 years ago.  I also play better because I can focus on my next shot while walking to it.  When I ride with my wife, we go from my ball to her ball and I don't get to think about my next shot until I get there.  What do I do on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday?  Glad you asked...  those are my practice days and will be spent in the practice area or I will take a cart and head out on the course to specific holes.  Right now, the course is open from noon to dark.

EDIT:  Congrats on the weight loss Shawn!!  I dropped 50 pounds once... dropped my bag getting it out of the trunk!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice work on the weight loss Shawn. Even carrying you'll be lugging less around the course, especially if you can drop a bit more.

I nearly always walk and push, I cart a handful of rounds a year. I'm carting Sunday, at a course with crazy distances between green and tee. It's 700 yards between 9th green and 10th tee, so a cart is ideal there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I've always enjoyed walking the course, it also helps the billfold a bit too. I'll ride on occasion but walking will always be a preference, also seem to have scored better when I walk for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I always preferred walking - it gives you a better feeling for the course, in terms of bumps, mounds, etc. and it's fantastic exercise. Also, there's always the feeling of accomplishment when you complete 18 holes, as well as that of macho-ness when you see the chumps in the carts!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Thank you guys for all of the kind words! I'm doing my best and going to continue with it. Thanksgiving is going to put a slight dent into that though... Oh well!

That being said it seems like most guys around here tend to prefer to walk, with only riding on occasion.

I find it very interesting that almost unanimously people feel they play better when they walk. That's very interesting. Do you guys feel it's strictly because of additional focus? Or are there other things that factor into it?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

It was mentioned by someone earlier, and I agree. Walking, I can go directly to my ball, and begin thinking through my next shot before I ever get to it. During the round, I'm always only focused on myself, and on my next shot.

Riding? You hunt for 2 balls, normally going sideways between them, and can't even think about your next shot until you're standing on it.

I play a hell of a lot better when I walk simply because I can't tote too much beer around with me.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Thank you guys for all of the kind words! I'm doing my best and going to continue with it. Thanksgiving is going to put a slight dent into that though... Oh well!

That being said it seems like most guys around here tend to prefer to walk, with only riding on occasion.

I find it very interesting that almost unanimously people feel they play better when they walk. That's very interesting. Do you guys feel it's strictly because of additional focus? Or are there other things that factor into it?

I tend to have much better rhythm when walking. I think i also get a much better feel for the course. The extra time getting to the ball allows for better judgement.  In a cart I'm usually waiting for longer prior to playing my shot.  If I'm carting and it's a slow day, I try to drive closer to walking speed so my wait at the ball is shorter.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Hey guys!

I was just sitting here thinking about this to myself and decided to see what the guys here think/do. I've been a cart bag/cart riding golfer for my whole time playing. Walking is fine, but my friends prefer to ride and it sucks being the only guy with his bag on a carrier when you leave the tee.

After 7 months of making some massive changes in my life (one of those being losing 70 pounds. I still have about 30 left though!) I've decided to revisit my preferred style for next season.

I bought an Original Jones Bag (Stripeshow) and am going to transition to carry only when I play. I love the simple nostalgia, the exercise, and the improved focus it will bring.

But that's me.

What do you guys do? Are you a carrier? Walker? Rider? Do you mix it up? Anyone here have any passionate reasons for being a certain way? How about a routine or perfect setup that you have?

I'm curious!

I do both. But when I walk, I use a push cart, I love it. Don't use a pull cart, and get a decent light weight push cart. If you carry or push cart, get a light weight bag. That will make things much more enjoyable. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged     :cleveland-small: Wedges   :taylormade-small: M1 Driver   Tour Edge E7 Beta 3 wood and hybrid   :taylormade-small: Putter

Definitely the same way I feel when I walk versus when I ride. I've always felt more focused and have been able to get in a groove when I'm on my feet the whole time. It begs the question though, with so many of us agreeing that walking provides the most results, why don't more of us do it? I just wonder with most of us seeming to fit into the box of "serious golfer" why we aren't maximizing every ounce of our games on a round by round basis?

Hmm... I guess it's like food. We may try to eat right on 85-95% of our meals, but every once in awhile we have to have some good food that is bad for us. It's part of life I guess. 

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I do walk every round locally (a trip down to La Quinta I rode) but because I do walk every time, there are some nice courses near me I never play. Two courses right down the road from me are nice courses set in the vineyards, beautiful scenery, very challenging and fair tracts, but they are cart centric. Tee boxes 200 yards down a winding path from the previous green on half the holes and no walking rate means I just don't play them.

Being a walking only golfer has actually limited me to about half the courses in my area as many are unwalkable due to lay out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Definitely the same way I feel when I walk versus when I ride. I've always felt more focused and have been able to get in a groove when I'm on my feet the whole time. It begs the question though, with so many of us agreeing that walking provides the most results, why don't more of us do it? I just wonder with most of us seeming to fit into the box of "serious golfer" why we aren't maximizing every ounce of our games on a round by round basis?

Hmm... I guess it's like food. We may try to eat right on 85-95% of our meals, but every once in awhile we have to have some good food that is bad for us. It's part of life I guess.

how do you describe a serious golfer? I play 3 rounds a month and practice twice a week. Beyond that I actually get sick of the game

For me, I can play a lot more if I ride. Many times, we play a morning round, eat lunch, then play an afternoon round. I would die if I walked two rounds in the same day... ;)

Just ordered a Jones bag! Anytime I play I have my blue tooth speaker going with some tunes, If I'm the only walker I just enjoy my music!

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Really wanted to pick up a Jones bag during their Black Friday sale but can't justify it after getting a new Sun Mountain carry bag so recently.

Enjoy yours!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I walk. I used to carry until I had knee surgery. I now have a clicgear 3.5 and love it. I admit as others have that I don't feel tired from carrying and my legs feel a lot better at the end of the round. I find that my clubs don't feel heavy on the last 4-5 holes. I still get the benefit of walking but save the strain on my shoulders and legs.

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

The fatigue at the end of the round is going to be interesting. I've never carried before so I can't directly relate to that. I can obviously imagine, but I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel.

Maybe a push cart will be in my future, or maybe I'll be blessed with enough stamina to have no issues.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I had a Clicgear 3.5+ for the first part of 2016 and I switched to carrying the majority of the time. I'll ride on occasion, but I definitely prefer to carry. It's good exercise and I enjoy having time to think between shots!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I usually will carry.  My partners in league both carry, so that does help.  I will ride when I am the only one walking, no need for them to wait for me or for me to feel rushed.  I have found that the right bag does help 100% when walking.  I carry my bag, and will always use a PING bag for that reason.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I walk with a buggy.  Thinking of buying a stand/carry bag to take away with me when I travel.

I have carted a few times, but don't enjoy the rushing between shots. I like to take the course in & need the time between shots to think & relax.

Archived