Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Are you feeding the monster?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

In my almost 20 years in the golf industry, it would be hard for me to think of another time a single product has created such a stir in golf.

And for good reason.

The day we released the review of the Kirkland Signature golf ball, we sold out the national chain Costco of every ball they had in stock. As soon as we announced they were back in stock we sold them out again in just under 2 hours. I say we but really it was the ball itself, we were just the vessel.

In a time where marketing has become more important than the actual performance and advertising done by billion dollar corporations have all but brainwashed consumers in to believing a false sense of reality. This story for consumers all over the world is a breath of crisp fresh air. Take it in.

A popular editor for Deadspin put it best when he said, "It's all professional wrestling." It has become harder and harder to tell the difference between a Hulk Hogan and a Kaori Icho (a real wrestler) these days. And that is why this single article/review/test we published might be more important than all that came before it.

Behind the scenes what golfers don't know is the manufacturers have fought us tooth and nail over the past 6 years. They have tried to sue us, demand we take down articles, change the words not only we wrote but believe in, threatened me, threatened others, took jobs from people, all in an effort to control the message that comes out of our golf publication and others like ours. Many of you are probably sitting here reading this and thinking this can't be true. Well believe it. More than any golf ad you have ever seen. It's the real reality we live every day at MGS. Taking only a minute to separate yourself and the air from the barrage of ads, things you read, mis-direction, smoke and mirrors and you quickly realize having a place like MyGolfSpy report on the fact that a ball that is $15 compared to $50 per dozen and performs the same (actually better) is something they do NOT want you to know about. If you don't believe me you should have been a fly on the wall over the past few weeks in my office and taken the calls, emails and texts from the people in the industry. They do not know how this will effect them but let's just say they are watching it closely. And if you don't think they are watching small brands like a Kirkland or Snell, remember we just got a legal letter from Titleist regarding a Snell article and email we sent.

So, while it is not in our best interest to publish an article like the Kirkland Golf Ball Review if we want friends in the industry, it is imperative someone does so for the golfer. Like we have always said we put the consumer first, period. #PowerToThePlayer is what MyGolfSpy is here for. We are here to make a level playing ground no matter what your name or how much money you have in your advertising budget. The industry needs to change, it needs to put the golfer first again.

We are proud to help shed light on a product that we think is beginning to shift the mindset of the golf consumer no matter the impact it causes regarding our relationships with the manufacturers. The truth shall set you free and the truth is we are proud to be a part of this small ripple of change.

For those that have not heard about this ball you can read about it here:http://www.mygolfspy.com/kirkland-vs-titleist-pro-v1/

kirkland-win.jpg

#TruthDigest

We appreciate all you do, and I am proud to be a member of this community and do everything I can to help.  Thank You!

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Keep up the good work. The honest reviews and honest information is what keeps me coming back each day.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

I agree with GSX. This ball is a BIG deal. I've been playing it since I first got wind of it. (here on MGS) I've made two purchases already. It's been interesting the reactions I've gotten from the guys when I show and tell about the ball. Some guys laugh, some think it's interesting, and others... well, a couple wouldn't even take one when I offered to give it to them. It was like I was handing them booger. LOL

It's not just MGS that's talking about this ball. Do a search for Kirkland Signature golf ball and see what you get. Again I agree with GSX. It's like nothing I've ever seen.

So what's next for this ball? Increased price? Wouldn't surprise me.

Will the BIG boys try to compete and lower their prices? Perhaps not yet.

Anyone remember Snell?

Will WalMart or Sams come out with a GreatValue Sig. or a Members Mark Sig.? They could tomorrow if they wanted. And why wouldn't they?

"Hello, is this Nassau Golf? This is Walmart calling about branding some golf balls for us. Can you do that? Great. We'd like to order 4 million of your 4-pc urethane balls."

Get ready.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You got to do what ya got to do and with that said, the truth will set ya free.  No doubt this place will double in membership in 2017 because most of us are looking for a the best bang for our buck.  Not cheap stuff but good quality stuff that hangs with the big dogs. I'm proud to be a member here and the courage you folks display when reviewing products in a realistic manner, will bring even more fans.   Great job MGS!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I find it very odd that when I bring up Scor wedges, Snell balls, or MGS to guys I play with, that have a computer in their pocket and are scratch golfers (meaning they have access to the information and a need for it), they look at me like I'm crazy. The public doesn't want to believe there are equitable items to a ProV or Vokey out there, because they love the 'prestige' that comes with playing a certain brand.

I love reading the 'truth' here at MGS. Y'all keep up the good work!

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I'm open to anything, but tend to stick with what I find. I liked the Vice, Snell, and MGC4 balls, but find very few of them. I haven't tried the K-sig because I've never found one in the weeds or the water yet. I play the ProV1 because most of the rich guys at my course lose a lot of them. I've never bought a box at retail in my life.

I also played SCOR wedges (9 thru lob) for a season. Liked them, but went back to my 2009 vokey oil can wedges. For me, even the new vokeys aren't as good as the 09's. I also bought those used...

The great think about MGS is that it provides non biased reviews and as a consumer we can believe or not believe the things being written.  I find the negative responses to your articles the most interesting.  It is fine to make the choice to not believe what is published or to criticize the methods that were used to test the equipment but ultimately everything provided is just information and we as the consumer choose what we do with the information.  For me it is a starting point and based on the information provided here,  I try things I might not have tried and find out if it works for me.   

Regarding the feedback from the major manufacturers,  to me it means you are doing something right.  As you have stated,  these companies have the ability to send product in for testing and I am sure you would welcome members from their team to come to the research facility and fit your testers to achieve optimal results for their product.  It they think you are doing it wrong, come show the errors in the MGS approach.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• SPY VIP

I find it very odd that when I bring up Scor wedges, Snell balls, or MGS to guys I play with, that have a computer in their pocket and are scratch golfers (meaning they have access to the information and a need for it), they look at me like I'm crazy. The public doesn't want to believe there are equitable items to a ProV or Vokey out there, because they love the 'prestige' that comes with playing a certain brand.

I love reading the 'truth' here at MGS. Y'all keep up the good work!

I have Scor wedges, Snell ball and I'm staff with MGS.

My name is Dan and I approve this comment.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Great post GSX. So much truth there. Like most I have no doubt fallen victim to the Kool Aid all manufactures put out.

But thanks to a lot of the articles on the blog here my eyes have been opened to other brands I might not even have looked at. While I haven't put any of those in play yet, I am definitely looking forward to trying the Kirkland ball at some point.

On another note and I told this to someone yesterday. It hit me yesterday while viewing the list of topics in the community, how nice it was not to see endless threads that were really nothing more than pure endorsements for a few big brands, no doubt in exchange for advertising dollars spent.

I really enjoy all the unbiased content provided on MGS and thanks for all you do.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Scor, check. Snell, check.  Kirkland, check.  Evnroll, will check at some point.  Staff, not checked.

Love this place!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Hi Dan. My name is Justin and I am a MGSaholic.

I do not overpay for useless technology that is not targeted at me, nor do I care what the tour pros are carrying in their bag. I prefer to test before I buy, then get fitted before I make the purchase, because fitting helps the mid-high handicapper just as much if not more than the pros. This is my Creed.

Also, are you hiring?

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

• SPY VIP

About a year ago I was hired to write for MGS.  I've been around the industry a fair bit and I can't tell you how liberating it is to produce articles and do research with a singular focus  = discover the truth. Only when you separate fact from fiction can a consumer really make an informed decision and no one is more dedicated to this reality than MGS. 

There are sites which are basically shills for large companies and they spend their time navigating this conflict of interest. You can't serve two masters with a clear conscience....and I think it was David Foster Wallace who most aptly stated, "The truth shall set you free. But not until it's done with you." 

It's an onerous task and one certain to piss off a number of people along the way, but #truthdigest isn't something we just throw around...it's our cultural calling card - 

I love everything this site is about and the members/staff who keep it going.

I'm thankful for you all on this Thanksgiving and the knowledge/ comraderie that you offer.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep trying to do my part and contribute what little I can.

Great post X!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I agree with everything said above. I was a little lost in all the marketing BS until I found this site. Totally changed my view of equipment and made me a much more savvy consumer. Keep up the good work!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I agree Dan. I play score wedges and snell mtb balls and mla putter. I am often asked what kind of wedges are they? When i answer they are immediatly dismissed. No interest in a non ego brand even if they are better. Their loss!

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I agree Dan. I play score wedges and snell mtb balls and mla putter. I am often asked what kind of wedges are they? When i answer they are immediatly dismissed. No interest in a non ego brand even if they are better. Their loss!

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I am sorta in the same boat as you are except I am back playing the Renegar wedges I tested for Renegar and MGS. People ask me what they are and when I tell them they are like well who makes them? When I tell them that Renegar is their own company I get funny looks. Same thing if you talk about Scor wedges and or the New Ben Hogan company people look at you like you are growing lobsters out of your ears! Heck most mainstream people think Miura KZG or even Wishon are clone clubs.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Heck most mainstream people think Miura KZG or even Wishon are clone clubs.

You are correct on that. I've heard more than one player who you would think should no better refer to KZG and Wishon as knockoffs.   I tried to set them straight.  Some time they listen sometimes the don't 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I am sorta in the same boat as you are except I am back playing the Renegar wedges I tested for Renegar and MGS. People ask me what they are and when I tell them they are like well who makes them? When I tell them that Renegar is their own company I get funny looks. Same thing if you talk about Scor wedges and or the New Ben Hogan company people look at you like you are growing lobsters out of your ears! Heck most mainstream people think Miura KZG or even Wishon are clone clubs.

I play KZG irons and Miura wedges and I haven't had anyone ask or comment on either of them. Maybe people are just being nice and don't want to insult me and my cheap knock-off clubs

My 1950's Hillerich and Bradsby Putter got comments every round though. I guess it's easier to notice someone's putter while waiting on the green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Feeding the monster?  Not me.  I have never been one to jump on the hype (maybe a time or two), but MGS cured me of that.  Thank you very much!

But the title did remind me to make donation to MGS for the holiday season.  Great job again this year guys!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great post GSX. So much truth there. Like most I have no doubt fallen victim to the Kool Aid all manufactures put out.

But thanks to a lot of the articles on the blog here my eyes have been opened to other brands I might not even have looked at. While I haven't put any of those in play yet, I am definitely looking forward to trying the Kirkland ball at some point.

On another note and I told this to someone yesterday. It hit me yesterday while viewing the list of topics in the community, how nice it was not to see endless threads that were really nothing more than pure endorsements for a few big brands, no doubt in exchange for advertising dollars spent.

I really enjoy all the unbiased content provided on MGS and thanks for all you do.

What he said... Lol

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Had a chance to pick up set of kzg irons with kbs shafts for $150..I should of bought em dammit.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

Yes you should have

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I will say i love the insight that is put out on this site. Always informative and makes for great decision making. But what i do see is a strong lean towards snell on here,but i take it we are basing it on performance and price in comparison to the pro-v. I'm not a titleist guy,i actually play chrome soft which i payed as much as snell or vice per dozen.

Titleist 910 7.5 driver,callaway 48,56 degree wedges.ping g irons 5-pw purple dot.19,21 degree titleist 913 hybrids.

This is the best site on the Internet for truthful, informative golf information on all golf equipment. It also keeps us up to date on the companies and what they are  thinking. I will be donating ASAP but, being on SS, it can be hard to find even $5 sometimes. It's another reason I like MGS so much. They also tell you if what your playing is worth changing for the extra money or is still up to date. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to MGS and all the fellow bloggers.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

Love this site and its unbiased reviews.  If you're ruffling feathers with manufacturers, that means you're telling the truth.  The article on the true manufacturer's cost of a driver it quite telling.  As suspected, the mark-up on clubs is like jewelry.  If manufacturers need to mark-up a club that much to make a profit, then maybe they need to try to make their operations a little leaner.  It reminds me of our government, where they spend like crazy and then figure out how to pay for it, later.  $400-$500 for a driver is insane.  They seriously need to figure out how to make a profit at at target price of about $300, and answer should NOT be to write nasty or threatening letters to those that express on opinion they don't like.

Regarding the Kirkland balls, I hope Costco doesn't get dollar signs in their eyes and get greedy.  The price point is perfect to sell a lot of balls, and make your members happy.

Keep up the awesome work, guys. :D 

:ping-small: Driver- G400 44.5" 10.0 Alta CB Regular
:taylormade-small: Fairway Metal- M4 3-wood 15° Atmos Regular
:taylormade-small: #3 19* Rescue Mid Aldila NV Regular
:taylormade-small: P790 4-W UST Recoil SmacWrap F3 Regular http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Love.gif
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 50º, 54°, 58° XP95 regular flex
EVNROLL.gif ER7 34" Putter
Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer
Ball- Chromesoft, Bridgestone B330RX Tour

I like seeing this. I'm someone that buys a good amount of equipment a year and in looking at different reviews, there are only a couple sites that have any credibility and can be trusted for accurate info. MSG is on that list.

There are way too many sites with a forced message and agenda, depending on who's sponsoring, that it's tough to rely on a lot that's out there. The fact that some OEM's try to change reviews, etc. is not surprising, but really demonstrates that discerning true reviews from marketing or PR is necessary before considering any of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

• 2 weeks later...

MGS is the best golf site because of everything you mentioned. An unbiased testing and review is what we all want. There are dozens of places to read about equipment reviews but this is the only one that is completely accurate and honest with no agenda.

Archived