Liberty Ball Markers

What are your favorite irons?

Let's get sentimental for a bit (it's a holiday weekend after all)...

What are your favorite irons and why? Not just what do you play now, but your fav's from childhood, when you played competitively, etc.

My current fav's are my Titleist 712MB's been through a lot of current mb irons, and these are just right for me. No plans of changing anytime soon.

IMG_8159.JPG

All time fav? The Wilson FG-17's that I learned to play with. Beautiful blades that felt like butter when you flushed it, jolted the crap out of you when you didn't.

IMG_8157.JPG

They were worn out when I got them from a friend's dad, and I wore them down almost slick - my best golf memories in my high school and college days, I had those irons in my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I've been playing golf for a long time now and have played pretty much everything out there. My all time favorites are the Callaway Razr XF irons with regular True Temper GS 95 Steel shafts.  The shafts are as close to graphite feeling as I have ever played. I love the trajectory they put on my shots and I'm a happy camper with them. Now the XF irons have a forged head and are softer than a hot sweet potato with warm butter and maple syrup.

irons-razr-xf___1.png?sfrm=png&sw=500

I'm on my second set of these beauties.  When they first came out, they were on the expensive end of the price chart however I am so glad I found my soulmate (irons). I'm sure there are iron sets out there that are just as good or better, however I'm locked on these like my dog Roxie on a ham bone.  

• Like 1

Current favorite and also what I currently play, TMaG Speedblades.  They look good, perform, give great distance, a fair amount of forgiveness and still let me know where I missed it.

speedblade.jpg

Favorite iron of yesteryear, Titleist DCI Black.  These were the first "nice" irons I ever owned and played them for about 15 years.  It's also where I learned about iron lofts and what loft jacking was since mine had the lofts stamped on.

titleist-dci-b-black-8-iron-dcib_807263.JPG

• Like 5

Favorite blade of all time is the Adams MB2 hands down. I still have two sets of them just not the game to play them these days.

Favorite blade of all time is the Adams MB2 hands down. I still have two sets of them just not the game to play them these days.

Those were good looking clubs, but I never played them.

But... at your handicap, I'm sure you can play anything and do just fine.

Those were good looking clubs, but I never played them.

But... at your handicap, I'm sure you can play anything and do just fine.

Not these days. I don't practice near enough to play true blades.

That brings to mind a new twist - favorite club that you never played?!?!?

I lusted over the Ping Eye2's but couldn't afford them in their hayday. I played with a guy a couple years ago that still had a full set (2-lw).

It was like seeing the prom queen again. He let me hit a few balls - looking down on them was not what I expected - they were huge, and so much offset... Every ball I hit went wide left. Well, that was the end of that little love affair...

• Like 4

Mine are in a box, I've thought bout getting them reshafted and playing them. Then I wake up from that dream

Mine are my old Mizuno T-zoid pros. I've played many different sets of irons but somehow keep going back to them. Just play well with them and they feel so good of the face.

IMG_0499.JPGIMG_0500.JPG

• Like 4

My favorite irons that I played my best golf with were a set of Dynacraft Pro Cavity irons I build in 2004. Played them for a year or two but vanity got in the way and I sold them for a set of Mizuno MX-23's.

My favorite irons growing up were Macgregor CB92's. I had some mismatched blades all through the 80's as I was learning the game, then as a teenager once my parents saw I was serious about golf agreed to get me a new cavity back set. On the top of my list were the CB92's but they were expensive, so no way I was gonna get those. Got a set of Spalding Executives instead

A month ago a picked up a set of the Macgregor CB92 heads, some KBS C-Taper Lite shaft pulls and decided to get that set I wanted when I was 16. Even found some NOS Macgregor diamond ferrules!

Got the heads glued up but only got the 7 to finished length and gripped so far. Did get to take it to the range today. Man these are some small heads, but feel great, and while not as long as my KZG, accurate as all hell.

8079BD5C-005B-45F8-9903-EDB7C118540C_zps

A9713ADD-D796-49E0-B35C-386F277245B0_zps

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

That brings to mind a new twist - favorite club that you never played?!?!?

I lusted over the Ping Eye2's but couldn't afford them in their hayday. I played with a guy a couple years ago that still had a full set (2-lw).

It was like seeing the prom queen again. He let me hit a few balls - looking down on them was not what I expected - they were huge, and so much offset... Every ball I hit went wide left. Well, that was the end of that little love affair...

I always wanted Ping Eye 2's too, and did eventually get a set of Beryllium coppers, but like you, too much offset.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky. I grew up playing blades because that was all we had LOL. One of my favorite sets was a set of custom built 1970 Spalding Elite MV-2. My old man was a Pro and ran a course so I was lucky and had access to all types of equipment. Loved those irons and they were stolen in 76 along with the Corvette they were in at the time.

I guess my holy grail set of irons is my 1980 remake VIPs I got new in 90 still in the box. Still play them. Another friend of mine on another golf forum sent me a pristine set of those a month ago. I am going to have to reshaft them because they have the old 7.0 Brunswick/Nicklaus shafts in them and I am getting a little old in the tooth to turn them for 18 holes.

Right now I do not play or practice enough to really hit blades good and with the encouragement of some friends I have been experimenting with some CBs some. Hate to say it but I finally found a set I absolutely love--- A set of Callaway 2013 Forged X with Rifle 5,0 shafts in them. Had to get used to them but found out I can work them like the old Macs and buttery feel wow! Actually they feel as soft to me as the set of MP-33s I played for a couple of years

Yep the Callys may become the money gamer set but I will still play one of my sets of Macs in vintage play heck I still have 6 sets of Mac blades and a set of Toney Penna forged blades too

20160817_151413.jpg

20160807_153037.jpg

20160424_104811.jpg

• Like 2

I see some oldies but goldies in this thread and it brings back fond memories.  Here are a few of the old clubs I have played in the day.

Persimmon Woods:  PowerBilt, Hogan, Wilson Staff, First Flight, Mcgregor

Iron sets:  Wilson Blue Ridge Sam Snead was my first set :D .   My Dad gave them too me as he played on a few times after he retired and he wanted me to have a set.

I also had the same irons as those mentioned in the persimmon wood post plus Lynx, Executives, Mizuno, Cobra irons (several models of these I was a fan boy for years), Browning (yes I said Browning like the maker of shotguns as they made a low profile iron years ago) .....  I'll think of more later as my memory is fading me now :wacko: 

My favorite Callaway iron in the past were the X-14 Pro Series.  I LOVED those puppies and I still have them back in my woodshed.

1001780-abx.jpg

• Like 1

There will never be a better set of irons for me than Ping Zing 2 irons. I was deadly with them! I could hit the 3 iron 235, 9 iron 150, and I hit them dead straight. I've actually pondered buying a set again and putting them in play. I found a six iron at a range a year or so ago and hit it very well. I won't get the same distances I did when I was 25, but I was NEVER more accurate than with those... White dot, +1"... Ahh. Heaven...

• Like 6

... I bought a set of Tour Stage MR23 US Spec irons from Japan for $1100 back when irons sold for 1/2 that much. The sole didn't suit me and luckily I was able to sell them for what I had in them. Then went to a set of Tour Stage Z101's and they would definitely be in my iron hall of fame. Back when a balata ball spun so much, trajectory control was needed on almost every shot, I played MB's and the Z101's were my first CB set that had the control of MB's with some additional forgiveness.

• Like 1

I see some oldies but goldies in this thread and it brings back fond memories.  Here are a few of the old clubs I have played in the day.

Persimmon Woods:  PowerBilt, Hogan, Wilson Staff, First Flight, Mcgregor

Iron sets:  Wilson Blue Ridge Sam Snead was my first set :D .   My Dad gave them too me as he played on a few times after he retired and he wanted me to have a set.

I also had the same irons as those mentioned in the persimmon wood post plus Lynx, Executives, Mizuno, Cobra irons (several models of these I was a fan boy for years), Browning (yes I said Browning like the maker of shotguns as they made a low profile iron years ago) .....  I'll think of more later as my memory is fading me now :wacko:

My favorite Callaway iron in the past were the X-14 Pro Series.  I LOVED those puppies and I still have them back in my woodshed.

1001780-abx.jpg

I have a buddy of mine that STILL hits those irons. He has had them since they were new and plays to about a 3 handicap. 

• Like 1

I have a buddy of mine that STILL hits those irons. He has had them since they were new and plays to about a 3 handicap. 

Solid all around performers to say the least.  Yea those were my favorite pre 2000 set and the Cally XF Razr are my post 2000 favorites.  I like something, I stay with it for a while.

• Like 1

Solid all around performers to say the least.  Yea those were my favorite pre 2000 set and the Cally XF Razr are my post 2000 favorites.  I like something, I stay with it for a while.

Well everyone here knows I have been and will always be a Macgregor man period. Now I have not been playing or practicing as much due to work and I have gotten sloppy. Some of my well meaning friends have talked me into trying CBs of course forged. In the last month or so I have tried several sets including a set I own which are Infiniti Forged TS -10s. Never could get the right feel with any of them.

Well 2 weeks ago I did a trade deal traded a set of pristine stock TM-200 CBs and a set of TM forged 300s for a nice set of 2013 Callaway x forged CBs with 5.5 PXI Rifle shafts in them. Man oh man do they hit good. Have played and practiced with them the last 2 weeks and have gotten somewhat used to them. Being off for Thanksgiving helped a lot too. Got in several great practice sessions with them both Thursday and Friday. Played today on a tricked up course and shot decent with them but hit them good. I will never get completely away from my blades but these do hit good and I can work them. Playing tomorrow on a course I know well and love and we will see

• Like 2