TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are your favorite irons?

Liberty Ball Markers

Honestly, my current gamers are easily my favorite irons of all time.  Aside from them, if I had to go back and bag any set from my past I think it'd be the Cobra FlyZ+ irons (I know...they aren't that old).  Those puppies were super underrated...felt outstanding, flat out performed and were crazy accurate.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will never be a better set of irons for me than Ping Zing 2 irons. I was deadly with them! I could hit the 3 iron 235, 9 iron 150, and I hit them dead straight. I've actually pondered buying a set again and putting them in play. I found a six iron at a range a year or so ago and hit it very well. I won't get the same distances I did when I was 25, but I was NEVER more accurate than with those... White dot, +1"... Ahh. Heaven...attachicon.gifIMG_1455.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I second this motion. I LOVED these irons and still have a PW somewhere around here. They were so long and straight.

Another iron I really liked was the RBladez.....I miss hitting a high, soft 180yd 9i.

• 1 month later...

IMG_0073.JPG I'm a Mizuno fan, MP-14, MP-29, but my favorite is the Mizuno Super 11s. Getting my shafts upgraded to PX 6.5, cannot wait!

logo-pxg.svg
GEN2 0811 Driver, 0341 3w

GEN2 0311T Irons (4-W)

0317 Hybrid (19*)

:mizuno-small: T5 Wedges 52*, 56*, 60*
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Dbl Wide Arm Lock

There will never be a better set of irons for me than Ping Zing 2 irons. I was deadly with them! I could hit the 3 iron 235, 9 iron 150, and I hit them dead straight. I've actually pondered buying a set again and putting them in play. I found a six iron at a range a year or so ago and hit it very well. I won't get the same distances I did when I was 25, but I was NEVER more accurate than with those... White dot, +1"... Ahh. Heaven...attachicon.gifIMG_1455.JPG

Wow have the design of the Pings changed over the years? Not much. Introduced in 1994 so 23 years old and still going strong and you as a 5 HI - well done sir - well done!

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

Overall favorites are hard to pin down, but since I love the look and feel of an old school blade, and can't help but love a find, I've gotta give the nod to the set of Walter Hagen "forged in usa" irons i found at Goodwill for $3.50 apiece. (Very) closely followed by the McGregor Muirfeilds I bought through the classifieds on this website (write-up to follow when healthy enough for golf) for pennies. Both irons look and feel fantastic- if slightly different from each other- and go (when swinging well) where you want them to go. Both sets are also surprisingly easy to hit as well - not GI by any stretch, but easier than their looks would suggest. Ask me about my Ci7s and why I'm considering upgrading later...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

My fav set were the Powerbilt Citation woods coupled with the Powerbilt Levelume blades. I gamed those for 20 years. They were followed by Nicklaus Muirfield blades that I bought used(1/2 season) for $150. I could hit the head of a gnat from 100 yards! I gamed them for 20 years!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I loved the King Cobra Gravity Back iron. Was my first real set of brand name. Used them all through high school and my college playing days.

IMG_1267.JPG

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

These may have been my favorites that I ever had, and still wonder why I gave up on them, other than I'm a hopeless ClubHO

1001922-ahb.jpg

I have heard the i5s had a bit of a cult following. My first set of irons were the G5s which I still have. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 5s were the last irons ping manufactured in the USA.

Liking all the classic iron pics people are posting. Keep them coming.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

My favorites are the ping i15 and the taylormade speedblades currently in the bag. Callaway xhot follows them nicely.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

My favorite irons that I played my best golf with were a set of Dynacraft Pro Cavity irons I build in 2004. Played them for a year or two but vanity got in the way and I sold them for a set of Mizuno MX-23's.

My favorite irons growing up were Macgregor CB92's. I had some mismatched blades all through the 80's as I was learning the game, then as a teenager once my parents saw I was serious about golf agreed to get me a new cavity back set. On the top of my list were the CB92's but they were expensive, so no way I was gonna get those. Got a set of Spalding Executives instead

A month ago a picked up a set of the Macgregor CB92 heads, some KBS C-Taper Lite shaft pulls and decided to get that set I wanted when I was 16. Even found some NOS Macgregor diamond ferrules!

Got the heads glued up but only got the 7 to finished length and gripped so far. Did get to take it to the range today. Man these are some small heads, but feel great, and while not as long as my KZG, accurate as all hell.

8079BD5C-005B-45F8-9903-EDB7C118540C_zps

A9713ADD-D796-49E0-B35C-386F277245B0_zps

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I played a set of dynacraft tour caliber for years. Still have them.

My favorite club I played, Mizuno MP-32's! Traded them in for MacGregor irons which I never played. Still regret that to this day. When I got the MacGregors, there were dings and chunks out of the irons straight from the factory. After I called and complained, they promised a couple of upgrades for my troubles (mind you I didn't ask for compensation, just clubs without these gouges in them). Then five minutes later, they called back and said they weren't going to do the upgrades they just promised me. Rubbed me the wrong way so returned the irons.

MDGolfHacker

PS - being a Lefty, there have been too many irons I wish I could of hit let alone put in the bag. Probably saved me from going broke too, lol.

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 5 weeks later...

I have a set of PING Eye 2+ irons that I love. They are old but I hit them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.

The iron lofts are so weak that it's 2 clubs more compared to today's clubs, but they sure played great.  I still play my SW and LW occasionally because they feel so good.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest! Glad you joined us.

The iron lofts are so weak that it's 2 clubs more compared to today's clubs, but they sure played great. I still play my SW and LW occasionally because they feel so good.

Lofts being weak don't really matter to me. It's how I feel when I hit the ball and how it flies is what I care about.

Ping Eye 2 no contest

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ping Eye 2 no contest

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Just golfed with these for the first time this season. I hit some of the purest shots I have ever hit with these clubs. So glad I didn't listen to the club fitter. I would have been very upset if I had taken his advice.

Gunmetal Cleveland TA1

IMG_1315.JPG

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Gunmetal Cleveland TA1

attachicon.gifIMG_1315.JPG

I had a few sets of these back in the day...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I had a few sets of these back in the day...

I just have the one set currently but this is my second time around with them. They are soft, no glare, you can dig them out of just about any lie, and I don't have to worry about hitting them past the hole. I do however sometimes anxiously watch my ball struggle to carry things short of the hole. I'm also not proud of the pristine condition of the deuce in that picture. Oak Hills in San Antonio, TX is the only course I consistently gamed it.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I just have the one set currently but this is my second time around with them. They are soft, no glare, you can dig them out of just about any lie, and I don't have to worry about hitting them past the hole. I do however sometimes anxiously watch my ball struggle to carry things short of the hole. I'm also not proud of the pristine condition of the deuce in that picture. Oak Hills in San Antonio, TX is the only course I consistently gamed it.

I just don't have enough time to play anymore, so my skill set has devolved enough that I can no longer justify something as pretty as the TA1's or the MP14's that I used to play... I still have a set of 99 Hogan Apex blades that make it to the range from time to time..  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I just bought this set online as a backup. Can't wait to try them out. Seems like the irons would be super forgiving due to the perimeter weighting.

I haven't had many and what I have now (Ping i25s) is the best that I've ever had, so those are my favorites for now 😁

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Do you like the feel of them when you hit the ball? I just bought a set to try out and when I hit the ball on the sweet spot of the club it didn't feel like my Eye 2s. The other weird thing is that when I got fitted a while ago I was told that I needed my clubs bent 3 degrees upright. So I bought the Zing 2s in white dot to see what the difference would be. I ended up hitting them worse than I hit my Eye 2s that are black dot (standard). Didn't make sense.

Probably should have included this one along with the 2014 TP MC's and CB's previously posted to this thread back on Page 2.  I always thought these SLDR irons deserved more love than they actually got.  (I think TM simply announced too many irons within too short of a time frame so maybe that explains why these SLDR irons did not get all the credit deserved). 

These SLDR irons were announced shortly after the (3) 2014 Tour Preferred iron models and the (SGI) SpeedBlades.  Then very shortly after, the (GI) SLDR irons, TM went ahead and announced the (3) models of the RSI irons earlier than planned...and (2) the (3) RSI irons were also (GI) and therefore competitive with the SLDR irons. People liked the idea of the new 'face slots' that made their debut on the RSI irons.  A very aggressive 2015 RSI ad campaign seemed to make people forget about the SLDR irons much too quickly.  

Fast forward to 2017 and problems have arisen with the RSI face slots, and unfortunately those slots are also on the PSI  and M-Family irons as well.  The problem is that the clubface tends to collapse around the face slots.

Due to those problems, these SLDR irons, (sole slot only), may now get a 2nd look by those who chose the RSI's over the SLDR irons back in 2015.  (Note:  TM's latest P-750 and P-770 irons which bear a resemblance to the SLDR irons do not have those dreaded face slots either, but look what those cost in comparison to the SLDR irons!)

The stock steel SLDR shaft is a KBS C-Taper 90; (90-grams), which was an exclusive for TM, (.i.e. a 'made for' shaft). The KBS C-Taper 90 cannot be purchased directly from KBS.  (See Pic #2)

By the way, these are smaller clubheads than you might think from just looking at Pic #1.  (Note the size comparison with the 2014 TP MC in pic #3 below).

In my opinion, this is one of the better 'tweener' irons ever made, (i.e. an iron that is in-between a better player's iron and a Game Improvement Iron).

sldrIron.png

Proprietary TM-KBS C-Taper 90.jpg

sldrSIZEvsMC.jpg

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Cleveland TA1, butter and more forgiving than one might think

Sticks:

Titleist 915D3 8.5 Graffaloy Pro Launch Red 65X

Titleist 915F Aldila NV 95 S Flex 3 Wood

Titleist 915H Aldila NV 105 S Flex 21 degree hybrid

Mizuno MP69 Dynamic Gold S300 Standard Length 2 up 3-PW

Cleveland RTX 54, Titleist SM4 48, Mizuno MP-T4 58

Odyssey 2 ball cs Superstroke 3.0 slim

Callaway Chrome Soft (2016)

Currently, I am playing the Cleveland 588 Altitudes. Very nice club easy to hit with a nice high loft. Not as good distance wise as my old CG4's but, easier to hit now days.

Back a few years ago, the Cleveland CG4 was the best irons I ever played.

I was very accurate with them and at the time I was shooting from the Mid 70's to Mid 80's,  Best time ever!

588 irons 2.jpg

cg4 2.jpg

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

• 2 weeks later...

Archived