Liberty Ball Markers

What are your favorite irons?

Well everyone here knows I have been and will always be a Macgregor man period. Now I have not been playing or practicing as much due to work and I have gotten sloppy. Some of my well meaning friends have talked me into trying CBs of course forged. In the last month or so I have tried several sets including a set I own which are Infiniti Forged TS -10s. Never could get the right feel with any of them.

Well 2 weeks ago I did a trade deal traded a set of pristine stock TM-200 CBs and a set of TM forged 300s for a nice set of 2013 Callaway x forged CBs with 5.5 PXI Rifle shafts in them. Man oh man do they hit good. Have played and practiced with them the last 2 weeks and have gotten somewhat used to them. Being off for Thanksgiving helped a lot too. Got in several great practice sessions with them both Thursday and Friday. Played today on a tricked up course and shot decent with them but hit them good. I will never get completely away from my blades but these do hit good and I can work them. Playing tomorrow on a course I know well and love and we will see

No doubt Cally makes a good set of irons and the ones I have bagged are very user friendly. Even good players like yourself enjoy backing off the blades occasionally. I was watching a senior tournament  one day and noticed that Colin Montgomerie was playing my irons!    Good old Cally  Razr XF irons in Monty's bag. I thought I had drank too much stump liquor but sure enough they were the exact same as I play.

Ole Gray-- It is funny that you mentioned Colin because he is one of the examples that one of my buds used. I have played with quite a few of the guys on the Champion's Tour back in the day on the minis. Never played with Colin of course. Always liked Colin even when the American press and Feherity picked on him. One of the few guys from the reverse C era that did not have back problems.

LOL  I know all about that Georgia stump liquor  ;)  As The Duke used to say "I have been known to pull a cork back in the day" In our case screw the lid off a jar. Glad you came along here now I have another Southern Redneck to keep me company

• Like 1

Enjoying these 2014 TP CB's in combination with several UDI's, (Ultimate Driving irons).  I also have a set of the TP MC's that I like very much as well!  

The TP CB's feature stronger lofts and slightly larger heads, hence those are a bit longer and a bit more forgiving, but I don't feel I lose much, if anything, (score-wise), when playing the MC's.  Both are excellent better player's iron sets!

The UDI's are long, deadly accurate, and surprisingly easy-to-hit!  I never thought I would put a 1-iron in my bag, but this club is unique!

Using the stock KBS Tour (stiff) shafts in both the iron sets, while the UDI's have the stock KBS C-Taper Lite 110 in stiff flex.  For years I was addicted to Project-X (5.5) shafts, but these higher-launching KBS shafts seem to be well-suited for these 2014 Taylormade TP clubheads, and feel very smooth as well. 

Very content with the performance, and these just 'look right' to my eye!  

tpcb.jpg

udi.jpg  UDI - THE ULTIMATE DRIVING IRON

tpmc.jpg

Ole Gray-- It is funny that you mentioned Colin because he is one of the examples that one of my buds used. I have played with quite a few of the guys on the Champion's Tour back in the day on the minis. Never played with Colin of course. Always liked Colin even when the American press and Feherity picked on him. One of the few guys from the reverse C era that did not have back problems.

LOL I know all about that Georgia stump liquor ;) As The Duke used to say "I have been known to pull a cork back in the day" In our case screw the lid off a jar. Glad you came along here now I have another Southern Redneck to keep me company

Hell yea !

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I loved the Wilson Staff fg tour v2's that I used to game a while back. Best feeling irons I've ever hit. My current set (Adams xtd forged) are very close seconds in terms of feel. The next sets will be Callaway apex or Wilson Staff. I will probably go back to Wilson though. They are getting better every release.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Well everyone here knows I have been and will always be a Macgregor man period. Now I have not been playing or practicing as much due to work and I have gotten sloppy. Some of my well meaning friends have talked me into trying CBs of course forged. In the last month or so I have tried several sets including a set I own which are Infiniti Forged TS -10s. Never could get the right feel with any of them.

After I reshafted my 5i-8i MacGregors this past summer, I was playing pretty well with them.  I not sure if it was the clubs or just the fact that I was playing and practicing a lot.  Maybe a little of both.  But I love the feel of the clubs and with UST ProForce 95 graphite shafts they play better for me than the old TT S300 steel shafts.  I am not a blade iron type of player, but these clubs make me think I could be!!

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

Later in the summer I reshafted the 4i is as my "utility club".  I sometimes use it on the 200y par 3 #8 hole when the wind is from a certain direction.  I also use it instead of my hybrids when I have to keep the ball down under the wind or under trees.

And I just like the looks of the MacGregors!!  I wish they still made decent clubs.

• Like 1

Man there are some great looking classic clubs in here.

These were my very first set of irons when I first started playing.  

tourmsho77.jpg

These may have been my favorites that I ever had, and still wonder why I gave up on them, other than I'm a hopeless ClubHO

1001922-ahb.jpg

• Like 1

My all time favorite set of irons were a set of TourStage TS-201's that I ran across in the used section at Edwin Watts for $200 in Mint condition - played them until I decided I needed the new J33's - yeah that was a mistake.

I still own my most two recent sets - Ben Hogan Apex FTX and TaylorMade TP MC 14. Both are great sets but those TS-301's were the stuff of legends. I also still have a set of Eye2's.

Honestly, my current gamers are easily my favorite irons of all time.  Aside from them, if I had to go back and bag any set from my past I think it'd be the Cobra FlyZ+ irons (I know...they aren't that old).  Those puppies were super underrated...felt outstanding, flat out performed and were crazy accurate.

There will never be a better set of irons for me than Ping Zing 2 irons. I was deadly with them! I could hit the 3 iron 235, 9 iron 150, and I hit them dead straight. I've actually pondered buying a set again and putting them in play. I found a six iron at a range a year or so ago and hit it very well. I won't get the same distances I did when I was 25, but I was NEVER more accurate than with those... White dot, +1"... Ahh. Heaven...attachicon.gifIMG_1455.JPG

I second this motion. I LOVED these irons and still have a PW somewhere around here. They were so long and straight.

Another iron I really liked was the RBladez.....I miss hitting a high, soft 180yd 9i.

There will never be a better set of irons for me than Ping Zing 2 irons. I was deadly with them! I could hit the 3 iron 235, 9 iron 150, and I hit them dead straight. I've actually pondered buying a set again and putting them in play. I found a six iron at a range a year or so ago and hit it very well. I won't get the same distances I did when I was 25, but I was NEVER more accurate than with those... White dot, +1"... Ahh. Heaven...attachicon.gifIMG_1455.JPG

Wow have the design of the Pings changed over the years? Not much. Introduced in 1994 so 23 years old and still going strong and you as a 5 HI - well done sir - well done!

Overall favorites are hard to pin down, but since I love the look and feel of an old school blade, and can't help but love a find, I've gotta give the nod to the set of Walter Hagen "forged in usa" irons i found at Goodwill for $3.50 apiece. (Very) closely followed by the McGregor Muirfeilds I bought through the classifieds on this website (write-up to follow when healthy enough for golf) for pennies. Both irons look and feel fantastic- if slightly different from each other- and go (when swinging well) where you want them to go. Both sets are also surprisingly easy to hit as well - not GI by any stretch, but easier than their looks would suggest. Ask me about my Ci7s and why I'm considering upgrading later...

My fav set were the Powerbilt Citation woods coupled with the Powerbilt Levelume blades. I gamed those for 20 years. They were followed by Nicklaus Muirfield blades that I bought used(1/2 season) for $150. I could hit the head of a gnat from 100 yards! I gamed them for 20 years!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I loved the King Cobra Gravity Back iron. Was my first real set of brand name. Used them all through high school and my college playing days.

IMG_1267.JPG

• Like 1

Hogan's Edges, my fav-o-right clubs & never owned. But had 2 sets I liked almost as much, Adams CMBs (stolen) & Wishons 560s (sold to a friend)

These may have been my favorites that I ever had, and still wonder why I gave up on them, other than I'm a hopeless ClubHO

1001922-ahb.jpg

I have heard the i5s had a bit of a cult following. My first set of irons were the G5s which I still have. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 5s were the last irons ping manufactured in the USA.

Liking all the classic iron pics people are posting. Keep them coming.

• Like 1

My favorites are the ping i15 and the taylormade speedblades currently in the bag. Callaway xhot follows them nicely.

Tazz